Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Resonance danger

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 09:11 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Resonance danger

Hey guys, have you ever had your bike start to vibrate rhythmically? Normally I’ve seen this when riding without hands, and the handlebars start to shake and can quickly escalate into something dangerous. I think of this as resonance, and was very happy that my carbon road bike doesn’t seem to exhibit it, but after a few trips to the shop it now has developed a resonance.

Can someone who knows what I’m talking about expand on the phenomenon and suggest recourse, other than holding onto the handlebars?

thanks.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-11-24 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-10-24, 09:35 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 445 Posts
Only on a four pannier touring bike that had too much weight in the rear and not enough in the front.
Old 04-10-24, 09:47 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
It’s likely a speed wobble

Barry
Old 04-10-24, 10:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 5,666 Times in 2,929 Posts
The times it has happened to me, I was going over 40 MPH. Certainly gets your attention.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-10-24, 11:06 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 416 Posts
On motorcycles its called “death wobble.” I’ve experienced it on both motorcycles and bicycles, and it can be a little hair-raising. There are some things you can do to minimize risk, make sure your headset isn’t loose, the axle bearings aren’t too worn, and balance your front wheel. Wheel balancing is easy. Put your bike in a stand and rotate your front wheel, let it turn freely, and see if the same side always comes to the bottom. Take a bicycle computer magnet, the kind which attaches to a spoke, and put it on a spoke on the opposite end. You can move the magnet up or down the spoke to change its effect on balance. The wheel is in balance when you can spin it, and it stops in any position randomly.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-10-24, 11:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,313 Times in 2,951 Posts
Putting your fingers in your ears should stop the resonance.
Old 04-11-24, 03:04 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Is this the same bike with the tire where the bead has separated from the sidewall?
Old 04-11-24, 04:07 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
...but after a few trips to the shop it now has developed a resonance...
Why not go to the "shop" but in reverse?
Old 04-11-24, 06:51 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 380 Posts
Does it happen when you see the chemtrails?...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-11-24, 07:26 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
On motorcycles its called “death wobble.” I’ve experienced it on both motorcycles and bicycles, and it can be a little hair-raising. There are some things you can do to minimize risk, make sure your headset isn’t loose, the axle bearings aren’t too worn, and balance your front wheel. Wheel balancing is easy. Put your bike in a stand and rotate your front wheel, let it turn freely, and see if the same side always comes to the bottom. Take a bicycle computer magnet, the kind which attaches to a spoke, and put it on a spoke on the opposite end. You can move the magnet up or down the spoke to change its effect on balance. The wheel is in balance when you can spin it, and it stops in any position randomly.
In the UK it is also called a “Tank-Slapper” on motorcycles (handlebars slapping the tank). It is not a pleasant thing….
Likes For awac:
Old 04-11-24, 07:31 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 412 Posts
Was this on the bike you said on 4/8/24 "My back tube popped (tire is worn out so not going to try and replace tube) right as I was leaving work, I have to ride 6.5 miles home and then another 6.5 miles back to work before I can realistically fix it. I don’t think I have a narrow enough tire at home. It feels like a bucking bronco but it’s nothing unmanageable if I keep the speed down, luckily it’s just the back tire."?
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 04-11-24, 07:36 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
Can someone who knows what I’m talking about expand on the phenomenon and suggest recourse, other than holding onto the handlebars?
Every time I read one of your posts, my hope for humanity dwindles.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-11-24, 07:59 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Does it happen when you see the chemtrails?...
Yes, it will still happen.
But I’ve heard covering your helmet with aluminum foil can reduce the severity.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-11-24, 08:53 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 04-11-24, 08:58 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 947 Posts
Hey guys, have you ever had your bike start to vibrate rhythmically? Normally I’ve seen this when riding without hands, and the handlebars start to shake and can quickly escalate into something dangerous. I think if this as resonance, and was very happy that my carbon road bike doesn’t seem to exhibit it, but after a few trips to the shop it now has developed a resonance.

thanks.
The "<bike> shop" didn't make it happen.

Did you know there are ways of searching for stuff on the intertubes?

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...-to-stop-them/
Old 04-11-24, 09:24 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,930 Times in 6,105 Posts
I got that once years ago my my Ritchey, coming down a short but fast non-technical descent. I hit 40 and the bike started wobbling and scared the hell out of me. I think it was the first time I'd gotten over 40 on it. I had only had the "5 Minute Fit". I took it in for a professional fit, where he dropped the bars, raised the saddle and moved it forward, which balanced my weight better, and it never recurred. I always credited the fit for solving the problem, but years later I read that wobble can be more of a random thing.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-11-24, 10:31 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I got that once years ago my my Ritchey, coming down a short but fast non-technical descent. I hit 40 and the bike started wobbling and scared the hell out of me. I think it was the first time I'd gotten over 40 on it. I had only had the "5 Minute Fit". I took it in for a professional fit, where he dropped the bars, raised the saddle and moved it forward, which balanced my weight better, and it never recurred. I always credited the fit for solving the problem, but years later I read that wobble can be more of a random thing.
I think there are any number of factors that can initiate a speed wobble - road surface ruts, loose headset, unbalanced front wheel, etc - however, whether or not this relatively small input propagates/amplifies into a full-scale wobble is due to different factors, like F/R balance, "death-grip" on the bars, frame flex etc - factors that promote system resonance.. Some frames and rider positions are just more prone to wobble, some just aren't, even if they're traveling on the same roads and descending the same hills. Rider setup can be modified, but some frames will always be wobble-prone, IMO.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 04-11-24, 11:40 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Too much weight forward of the steering center.
Old 04-11-24, 11:56 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Speed wobbles. 13ollocks describes them well. It is an oscillation caused by a driving force (that can be as simple as road vibration) and a system (Bike, wheels and rider) with a resonance of the same frequency (or harmonic of it). And it can vary from a minor scare to terrifying and high speed crash causing.

The cause is usually a combination of a particular bike and a particular rider. Sometimes simple changes are a permanent fix. Two things a rider should be aware of, one as a frequent cause of the wobbles and the other, usually a quick fix - the death grip on the handlebars; back off! Firm but NOT rigid! And the preventative/quick fix; place your knee on the top tube. That usually has a very large damping effect on the wobble.

I have one bike with the issue. Sadly my best custom that fits and rides like a dream. Recently I did a fast descent that while not absurdly fast, I have had to back off for the wobbles on the past. Tried lifting my butt a little off the seat with my legs a little more tensed, hands firmly in the drops with real weight on them and the bike stayed quiet. Haven't yet gone to the really fast hills trying that but I see that experience as encouraging.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-11-24, 12:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I doubt balancing a bicycle wheel will do anything to prevent speed wobble.

Originally Posted by 13ollocks
I think there are any number of factors that can initiate a speed wobble - road surface ruts, loose headset, unbalanced front wheel, etc - however, whether or not this relatively small input propagates/amplifies into a full-scale wobble is due to different factors, like F/R balance, "death-grip" on the bars, frame flex etc - factors that promote system resonance..
Add shivering to the list. The only time I've experienced speed wobble, descending Montebello Road when it was snowing.

Last edited by terrymorse; 04-11-24 at 12:21 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-11-24, 06:40 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Add shivering to the list. The only time I've experienced speed wobble, descending Montebello Road when it was snowing.
I'll believe that in a heartbeat.

Muscle tremors from other causes (nerve-related or due to exhaustion) are suspect too.

Climbers sometimes suffer from what they call "sewing-machine leg", which is no fun, either.
Old 04-11-24, 07:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I doubt balancing a bicycle wheel will do anything to prevent speed wobble.

Yup. And aging. Or, one of the best preventions is confidence. My bike that wobbles - only showed up once early on. On a cold ride with rain. Now, out of my early 50s and into my 70s, it is far worse. I carry warm clothes and stop and put them on for big descents even though I'll be on nice warm level ground in 10 minutes. On my other, non-wobble bikes I dress the compromise between comfort and convenience.
Old 04-11-24, 09:41 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 349 Posts
One of my road bikes is particularly susceptible to speed wobbles. I attribute it mostly to the 50mm wheels, as it will only start to pick up a shimmy at speeds above 40mph, with battling winds present. In dead calm conditions, I've confidently had that bike nearly to 60 w/o issue. I've tried changing my contact points when it starts to happen and keep a light touch on the bars, but nothing seems to fix it other than dropping below 40. Oddly enough, my other road bike with different 50mm rims, doesn't have the same issues. I can feel the wind pushing the bike, yet it doesn't develop the shimmy.
Old 04-11-24, 10:04 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 383 Posts
A Resonance Cascade occurs when a Negative Mass Crystal is scanned by an Anti-Mass Spectrometer.

Although I will admit that the possibility of a resonance cascade scenario is extremely unlikely, I remain uncomfortable with the...
Old 04-11-24, 10:13 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,635 Times in 1,049 Posts

So... Speed Wobble...
Front Brake or Back Brake?

As I remember on a Motorcycle it was feather the back brake...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.