Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Six-Million Dollar Man......Goose

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Six-Million Dollar Man......Goose

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-23, 05:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3705 Post(s)
Liked 5,541 Times in 2,803 Posts
I don't get OP's fixation on "intelligence." Anyone who has attended US schools in the past 60+ years is aware of their relative IQ. It's not like we can take credit or blame any more than for our height.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-30-23, 05:46 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
It does not take a skilled mechanic to get a junky bike to the point where it rolls fairly efficiently when you pedal it. However, I don't know what to think of a mechanic who chooses to work on such poor quality equipment.
19.5mph is a moderate pace on a flat course. When I was fit, I could do that on my MTB. These guys time trial at close to that speed.
Lots of words, but zero meaning. "Moderate" does not have any meaning unless you present research on how sixty-year old, 200-pound, 6'2" cardiac patients perform in TTs on 33-pound, fifty year old bikes with 165mm cranks. I am sorry you are not "fit". I went over 19mph on my 1996 Marin Bear Valley SE last year on a local 20 kilo TT course. Most laymen like yourself, who put up opinion instead of facts and research, have not figured out that bikes with fat tires have almost no performance disadvantage over the same bike with skinny tires. There are pro gravel-racers going 20 mph average in races that are up to 200 miles long. When I was "fit" in 1997 I could have done 21 or 22 mph on my MTB in a short TT, I did a 42-mile road-race on the Marin that year and the elitists that ran the race changed the rules the next year to ban mountain-bikes from the event because they did not like how I ran with their fancy road bikes.

Last edited by beng1; 04-30-23 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-30-23, 07:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8321 Post(s)
Liked 9,126 Times in 4,509 Posts
Your arrogance is incredible. Astonishing, really. You can't be serious, it must just be a poorly executed troll.

And calling Terry a "layman"? When Terry says "when I was fit" he means when he was at a level you can't conceive of.

I don't know why your BS bothers me so much. Even if you were as "brilliant" as you say you are, it's disgusting the way you talk about others. You are truly full of crap.
Old 04-30-23, 08:12 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
His speed secret is bitterness; it's more powerful than EPO.

It's weird: he rails against people spending money on bikes and kit as trying to chase fads and buy speed, but at the same time credits his exquisitely tuned dumpster bikes and jorts as proof that a zero -dollar approach is a sign of advanced technique and higher understanding

Maybe it's not about the bikes?
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-30-23, 08:42 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 3,626 Times in 1,819 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Lots of words, but zero meaning.
Astounding.

Folks, do you think he realizes?

Most laymen like yourself
"Laymen". Huh, that's a new one. From a mechanic, no less.

...bikes with fat tires have almost no performance disadvantage over the same bike with skinny tires. There are pro gravel-racers going 20 mph average in races that are up to 200 miles long.
More pointless factoids. Do you think he he know that pro road racers can average over 30 mph on flat courses, for hours at a time? That's another factoid. Does he understand the relationship between tire size and aerodynamic drag? Does he understand how the wetted area of a tire increases with width, and how that impacts drag losses? Does he have a working knowledge of Navier-Stokes, or even Bernoulli? Does he have equipment of his design on orbit, still functioning after 30 years? (That's a cheap shot, don't answer that.)

But any way, lets do a back-of-the-envelope analysis to address the question: What is the aerodynamic penalty of changing from a narrow tire to a fat tire? For obvious reasons, folks aren't wind tunnel testing fat tires, but we can extrapolate from tests on narrower tires. Tests of a deep aero wheel (parcours 77mm) with a 25mm tire produced a drag of ~20 watts at 30mph. A 30mm tire has a 22% larger wetted area than a 25mm tire, so the expected drag is ~24 watts, a 4 watt increase per wheel. The penalty is certainly higher than that, as a wide tire on a narrower rim has an increased Cd (skin friction).

Last edited by terrymorse; 04-30-23 at 10:23 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-30-23, 09:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7046 Post(s)
Liked 11,094 Times in 4,739 Posts
When I was younger, I aspired to be a "layman." Then I found out what it actually means.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-30-23, 09:52 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 653 Posts
Lots of words, but zero meaning. "Moderate" does not have any meaning unless you present research on how sixty-year old, 200-pound, 6'2" cardiac patients perform in TTs on 33-pound, fifty year old bikes with 165mm cranks. I am sorry you are not "fit". I went over 19mph on my 1996 Marin Bear Valley SE last year on a local 20 kilo TT course. Most laymen like yourself, who put up opinion instead of facts and research, have not figured out that bikes with fat tires have almost no performance disadvantage over the same bike with skinny tires. There are pro gravel-racers going 20 mph average in races that are up to 200 miles long. When I was "fit" in 1997 I could have done 21 or 22 mph on my MTB in a short TT, I did a 42-mile road-race on the Marin that year and the elitists that ran the race changed the rules the next year to ban mountain-bikes from the event because they did not like how I ran with their fancy road bikes.

Terry has perhaps more years of real racing on his bike than you on yours.I highly doubt that with mid range marin MTB and without clipless pedals that you could do 21 mph with a bike being much heavier than a roadbike. Everyone in TT uses clipless pedals for better power transfer.Were you ever a member of any local cat5 or elite group ? Did you even win races ?
Old 04-30-23, 09:54 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 653 Posts
Astounding.

Folks, do you think he realizes?

He doesn't realize, he gives himself a lot maybe too much importance and too much self confidence
Old 04-30-23, 10:15 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,800 Posts
the elitists that ran the race changed the rules the next year to ban mountain-bikes from the event because they did not like how I ran with their fancy road bikes.
Wait…you think “elitists” changed the rules because you rode a MTB? Were you clipping people with your handlebars?
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-30-23, 01:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Fact Check- Impoverished Cycling Genius

Let's shine some real world light on this. I sold a few bikes last spring. One was a Gunnar Sport with full Ultegra 10 speed double, nice Pacenti TR wheels, GP5000, Terry Ti saddle and a bunch pf spares. $450. Another was a Bianchi Volpe, again Ultegra 10 speed with a GRX crank. Fulcrum wheels with 2 sets of Panaracer GKs and a new Brooks Cambium. Again, $450 incl more spares. So $450 for a nice bike that needs nothing vs $150 for the oft pictured genius bike. The cost difference is insignificant for any adult with an income. Who's the smart guy? The one who has learned enough about bikes to tell quality from crap and is engaged in the hobby enough to find a fair deal? Or is it the genius, hunkered down in his bubble of resentment with a low quality bike that doesn't fit?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-30-23, 04:56 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Let's shine some real world light on this. I sold a few bikes last spring. One was a Gunnar Sport with full Ultegra 10 speed double, nice Pacenti TR wheels, GP5000, Terry Ti saddle and a bunch pf spares. $450. Another was a Bianchi Volpe, again Ultegra 10 speed with a GRX crank. Fulcrum wheels with 2 sets of Panaracer GKs and a new Brooks Cambium. Again, $450 incl more spares. So $450 for a nice bike that needs nothing vs $150 for the oft pictured genius bike. The cost difference is insignificant for any adult with an income. Who's the smart guy? The one who has learned enough about bikes to tell quality from crap and is engaged in the hobby enough to find a fair deal? Or is it the genius, hunkered down in his bubble of resentment with a low quality bike that doesn't fit?
If you were a genius*, and you had added some dumpster parts to those bikes, you would've gotten waaay more money for them.

*As evidenced by having dropped LSD and having your stomach pumped at least once,
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-01-23, 08:37 PM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
His speed secret is bitterness; it's more powerful than EPO.
Bitter??? That is hilarious. I put up a thread about fixing a 20" bike up to give to some kid, which I did, and my other recent thread was simply about a short ride I took around town and timed. Whoop-dee-doo, and the bitterness rolled in from you and your ilk. If you come into a thread with irrelevant ad-hominem attacks, then you deserve whatever you get in reply. It should be common sense, but no surprise that it is not here.....

The saddest individuals are those who actually can remember what others posted in the past, because believe me I don't know who any of you are day-to-day and never will. I am interested in subjects and content period, I never look at who puts what up because a statement worth anything stands on it's own, nor does it matter who makes statements with zero merit, so either way those making them do not matter. Those who do remember particular forum members, and are obsessed enough with them to remember what they posted yesterday or last year, or laughingly even on other forums, are sad beyond words.
Old 05-01-23, 10:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5014 Post(s)
Liked 8,201 Times in 3,878 Posts
Bitter??? That is hilarious. I put up a thread about fixing a 20" bike up to give to some kid, which I did, and my other recent thread was simply about a short ride I took around town and timed. Whoop-dee-doo, and the bitterness rolled in from you and your ilk. If you come into a thread with irrelevant ad-hominem attacks, then you deserve whatever you get in reply. It should be common sense, but no surprise that it is not here.....

The saddest individuals are those who actually can remember what others posted in the past, because believe me I don't know who any of you are day-to-day and never will. I am interested in subjects and content period, I never look at who puts what up because a statement worth anything stands on it's own, nor does it matter who makes statements with zero merit, so either way those making them do not matter. Those who do remember particular forum members, and are obsessed enough with them to remember what they posted yesterday or last year, or laughingly even on other forums, are sad beyond words.
I’m trying to figure out if you are at all aware of how arrogantly insulting your comments routinely are - sometimes thinly-veiled, sometimes not at all. It still baffles me that you spend so much time on a forum with people you have so much disdain for. Thank you for making it clear that this is just a platform for the beng1 show.

I guess I fit in your “saddest of all” category because I recognize that forum members are actually people, and I pay attention to the ones who post things that strike a chord with my preferences and experiences, or help me learn something new. It turns out that Big John and I live not far apart, have mutual friends and acquaintances, and have ridden a lot of the same earth. SoSmellyAir gave me some really good ride route advice when I was vacationing in his area, and today I was able to give him some tire info that was helpful to him. Koyote shared tips with me about what to expect in my first gravel race that were really valuable. This is just the first 3 that come to mind in this moment. There are many others. I find it sad that you can’t see the value in making connections with people.
Old 05-02-23, 03:50 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
And of all the posts on this thread that directly address or even quote your posts, that was the one you chose to release the hounds on? By launching a tirade about how much you don’t care?

Says a lot.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 05-02-23, 04:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Pssssssssssst. If you take any object in your possession to a skilled mechanic, craftsman, repair-person or fabricator and have them work on it they are going to charge you fifty to a hundred dollars an hour. Maybe you can look some of these people up and give them your brain to work on, it would be a great investment for you.
I have forgotten how to do more with my hands than anyone else on this forum will ever learn to do...

That and a few other things you do not have the capacity to understand makes me the wealthiest man on earth, and I would not trade what I have for any amount of cash.
Only to the tragically ignorant.... It takes zero talent or intelligence to dump cash on high-end equipment and ride it out the door of a bicycle shop....

That was a worthy challenge for my talent and intelligence and I succeeded. What you and your peers indulge in would not be any challenge at all, nor would it be worthy of my time or talent.
Idon't need as much money as those of average intelligence who spend their lives participating in the fashionable and trendy and keeping up with the Joneses.
Most laymen like yourself, who put up opinion instead of facts and research, have not figured out that bikes with fat tires have almost no performance disadvantage over the same bike with skinny tires.

Here's why you are hilarious--it's a basic rule that people who can't stop themselves from constantly telling you how much smarter they are than everyone else are inevitably the biggest doofuses around.

BTW, you have definitely started thread after thread about yourself and when someone disagrees with you on any subject you immediately start denigrating them and pretty much all of humanity who isn't you. Do you really think it's reasonable to expect people won't remember your insulting nonsense from thread to thread?

Also, you have shown a preference for getting your stomach pumped over thinking. That's pretty memorable.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-02-23 at 08:00 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-02-23, 08:29 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
And of all the posts on this thread that directly address or even quote your posts, that was the one you chose to release the hounds on?.
I had the same thought. Of all the posts to respond to, why that one?
Old 05-02-23, 08:56 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 1,209 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I had the same thought. Of all the posts to respond to, why that one?
Those, like the op, possessed of "brilliant" minds (as he never tires of telling us) -- those for whom "thinking" is not necessary because they simply "know" -- are responding to hidden meanings not accessible to the rest of us.
Likes For badger1:
Old 05-02-23, 09:03 AM
big john

Originally Posted by badger1
Those, like the op, possessed of "brilliant" minds (as he never tires of telling us) -- those for whom "thinking" is not necessary because they simply "know" -- are responding to hidden meanings not accessible to the rest of us.
The illuminati, the cognoscenti, the great minds who walk among us?

Good answer, btw.
Old 05-02-23, 09:34 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 1,209 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The illuminati, the cognoscenti, the great minds who walk among us?

Good answer, btw.
Precisely.
Old 05-02-23, 09:48 AM
big john

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Here's why you are hilarious--it's a basic rule that people who can't stop themselves from constantly telling you how much smarter they are than everyone else are inevitably the biggest doofuses around.

BTW, you have definitely started thread after thread about yourself and when someone disagrees with you on any subject you immediately start denigrating them and pretty much all of humanity who isn't you. Do you really think it's reasonable to expect people won't remember your insulting nonsense from thread to thread?

Also, you have shown a preference for getting your stomach pumped over thinking. That's pretty memorable.
This guy is very different than any of the regular posters on this forum. Different in just about every way. If someone didn't remember him distinctly then they just aren't paying attention. Not that different is necessarily a bad thing.

Love your new tagline, btw.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-02-23, 01:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Bitter??? That is hilarious. I put up a thread about fixing a 20" bike up to give to some kid, which I did, and my other recent thread was simply about a short ride I took around town and timed. .
Let's not forget the literary masterstroke Moisty Me
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-02-23, 02:39 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by hazetguy
doesn't hold a candle to this tripey blathering: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...slow-roll.html
Ah, yes, that time-honored bf tradition: winning a non-race.
Old 05-02-23, 03:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Koyote
Ah, yes, that time-honored bf tradition: winning a non-race.
Including self assigned sprint points for bizarre bike and kit.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-02-23 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-03-23, 07:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Basically, the reason we know that he (the actual "Dumpster Vodka Guy", btw, it was never Larry), isn't a parody character is that when he actually tries to be funny, it's absolutely horrendous. His reaction to the lack of anyone finding it funny is, of course, to insult the intelligence of the audience and claim we don't get it or have no sense of humor. That part's funny, but there's no way he has the chops to do that intentionally.
Old 05-04-23, 06:46 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Basically, the reason we know that he (the actual "Dumpster Vodka Guy", btw, it was never Larry), isn't a parody character is that when he actually tries to be funny, it's absolutely horrendous. His reaction to the lack of anyone finding it funny is, of course, to insult the intelligence of the audience and claim we don't get it or have no sense of humor. That part's funny, but there's no way he has the chops to do that intentionally.
LOL. Gotta know your audience, can't do Dennnis Miler to a Larry the cable guy crowd...
Likes For wheelreason:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.