Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 06:25 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked 6,618 Times in 3,792 Posts
Originally Posted by Dephect
I didn't really save it from the dump, I saved it from my grandparents house. These are my new projects.

Pics aren't showing.
Old 11-30-09, 07:20 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Found this Raleigh Rapide mixte yesterday - amazingly enough, as it sits, the seat only needs to go up about 1/2" to make it fit! Can't believe I found a mixte in my size. I was driving home from my parents' house yesterday, and I see a whole bunch of bikes at the side of the road with a sign that says "for sale $10-15" so I start rummaging through. Lots of Varsinentals (some in perfect shape), a couple other Schwinns, and a bunch of garbage huffys and murrays. There was a Huffy Team USA bike on the pile...but it's still a huffy. So I'm talking to the guy, and he takes me behind his garage, and there is a row of bikes. And when I mean row, I mean 200 feet of bikes, bike parts, and frames. It was absolutely nuts. He said that the next time I'm through I should come and start scrounging for parts, because they're going to be cut up for lightweight go-kart frames (!). I'm thinking around Christmas time I'm going to go hunting for any paramounts, internationals, professionals, etc. to see if there is anything. MOstly looked pretty low end though. Anyway, he wanted $20 for this Raleigh, I talked him down to $10, and think I got a pretty good deal. 27" wheels, 10 speeds, cottered cranks and stem shifters. This thing is obviously lower end. Has suntour parts, etc. It's not bad looking, but when I hit the co-op tonight, it's getting 700c rims and downtube shifters. I also have all the parts from a Nishiki Sport that I'm going to swap over (better brakes, derailleurs, etc). A question on that note though - since this is a Taiwan bike, the parts should be standard thread and sizes right? they wouldn't be Raleigh proprietary anymore? if so, it's getting a Sugino double crank as well... I'm also feeling a repaint - green with a cream head tube or something equally pretty...hmm...

Last edited by mickey85; 11-30-09 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-30-09, 08:10 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadowex3
About ~4ish months and many falls ago I came to be the rescuer of my first bike since I started tying my own shoes. I don't know much but apparently this is a pretty good find for what I paid for it. Also with the exception of lights, a new seat, and needing to tune the screws/position of the front derailer and removing the toe clips the bike is in the exact same condition as when I walked out of the thrift store with it. Whoever had it before me had respect for this thing.

According to the forum search function and a once-over when the local bike shop set up a tent at my apt complex it's what it says on the tin, a Kuwahara Aries:

Personally I'm going to strap one of these sunlite racks on the back and turn it into my cross-campus bike. The only downside I can think of is that I'm pretty sure it's incompatible with any form of front suspension, which would be nice to help with the potholes down here.
Do what they do on Paul Frank/NIRVE bikes...the bottom has a bracket that attaches at the junction of the head tube and the fork.
Old 11-30-09, 08:15 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

[QUOTE=ak08820;10071590]
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
'72 Raleigh Sports. Needs a bit of TLC.

Awsome find, the saddle looks expensive.
It certainly is and if those are Schwinn approved grips that was awfully nice of them
Old 11-30-09, 08:18 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Pics aren't showing.
Maybe the server has been eating too much junk data and it's parity has plaques.
Old 11-30-09, 04:32 PM
Shadowex3

Bikes: Kuwahara Aries

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Do what they do on Paul Frank/NIRVE bikes...the bottom has a bracket that attaches at the junction of the head tube and the fork.
? I meant I thought the frame itself wouldn't fit a front suspension fork properly. My rack is a nice adjustable sunlite that goes over the top of the rear wheel.
Old 11-30-09, 05:33 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Hey Matt/mickey 85, why I was just sifting though the same pile of bikes on Friday! Definitely noticed the same Raleigh mixte. I had just returned from scoring a Raleigh Technium Tri Lite Prestige full of Suntour Cyclone 7000 parts in cherry condition from a nearby LBS, so I was reluctant to try to pile more into my tiny Honda. But I wanted to!

AFAIK that should have regular British threading, at least based on my experience with Taiwanese Schwinns, Treks, Fujis, etc. Should be able to swap parts freely from other Japanese or Taiwanese bikes. That thing will be a bad motor scooter when you get it built up!
Old 11-30-09, 06:02 PM
pancake4life
Breakfast in America

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
The derailleur in the one pic looks like a tri color Shimano 600 to me?,,,,BD
Yep. 600 was replaced by ultegra right?
Old 11-30-09, 09:18 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Primitive Don
Hey Matt/mickey 85, why I was just sifting though the same pile of bikes on Friday! Definitely noticed the same Raleigh mixte. I had just returned from scoring a Raleigh Technium Tri Lite Prestige full of Suntour Cyclone 7000 parts in cherry condition from a nearby LBS, so I was reluctant to try to pile more into my tiny Honda. But I wanted to!

AFAIK that should have regular British threading, at least based on my experience with Taiwanese Schwinns, Treks, Fujis, etc. Should be able to swap parts freely from other Japanese or Taiwanese bikes. That thing will be a bad motor scooter when you get it built up!
Freaky!

I'm in the middle of throwing cables on it. Put aluminum rims and a six speed freewheel on it - kept stem shifters and went with a North Roads bar and some crappy brake levers I had sitting around. It looks good built up like this. With some black SKS fenders, it'll look like the Darth Vader edition of the Raleigh Sprite. I'm having some trouble though (and I'm going to make a post in the C&V forum about it) that the chain rubs the frame in sixth gear...
Old 12-01-09, 02:33 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Picked up a 1983 Peugeot PFN10 today. If I can come up with the right fork for this bike, I will flip it. If not, I will be parting it out as it has some decent components: Stonglight crankset, midgrade Simplex derailleurs and levers, and decent 700c wheelset. Frame other than the fork is in really good shape. The chrome fork has canti braze-ons, ouch.

Old 12-01-09, 04:00 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Nice catch, Bill. It's just like mine. Well, mostly just like mine.

Shin.
Old 12-01-09, 04:11 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
Nice catch, Bill. It's just like mine. Well, mostly just like mine.

Shin.
Amazing! Same bike, but yours only looks about a million times better! It does clear up my confusion on what the stock fork should have looked like.
Old 12-02-09, 07:27 PM
kknh3

Bikes: Schwinn High Plains, Trek 750 Multi-Track, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attachment 127368I picked up a 1984 Fuji Touring Series V today. I believe it's all original except for the missing bar tape. A few scuffs and srapes but in generally good shape. It also needs a new rear tube obviously. The gum tires and hoods are in really good shape. A little cracking at the edges on the hoods, but very little on the gum walls.

A little small for me, so it will most likely be cleaned, tuned and sold.
Old 12-02-09, 07:56 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Popped into the co-op tonight and happened upon a mid seventies Peugeot A08 in not too bad condition but wasn't after that... will be going home with a nice set of white Bluemel Populars and a Norex 39 saddle that has already received a new rivet, been drilled, and laced to restore it's shape.

The saddle looks much like an Ideale and even had an Ideale clamp... I have never been able to find much info on these saddles but suspect they were perhaps a sub brand of Ideale much like Wrights was a sub brand of Brooks and they were stock equipment on many mid seventies Peugeots.

Judging by the rarity of sightings (Ideales are easier to find here) and the fact it came on an entry level Peugeot I suspect that few have survived the past three and a half decades.

Real pics when I get home... here's a few pictures of another and much less pretty Norex 39.

Well... there is another set of Bluemels here I need go take a look at as you can never have too many of these and who knows what other goodies might be found in the pile o' bikes tonight.

Old 12-02-09, 08:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
That saddle was common on Peugeots for years.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-02-09, 08:45 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I know these were standard on a ton of Peugeots although I see more of those accursed AGDA saddles here... I would like to know more about who made them and would like to confirm whether or not they were a sub brand for Ideale.

We'll how this saddle fares after it gets a good cleaning and oiling... my old winter saddle bought the farm (a decrepit Lycette) and I have been looking for a replacement.
Old 12-02-09, 08:55 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian
Well, I really tried to thin the heard but when I was throwing the remants of a damaged frame into the recycle bin I just had to take a look inside. There I found this mid-80's Stumpjumper. It's in fine shape with one small exception. The cranks were loose when I found it and it turns out the fixed cup was broken. After about 10 minutes with a dead blow hammer I got it out. Even though it had 1.37x24 stamped on it I had to check the direction several times - it just didn't want to turn. Finally, it started to come out but it didn't turn freely until there was about 1 thread of engagement left. Turns out the cup itself was cracked. The threads are slightly munged up but not bad and it looks like a simple re-tap will make it good as new. I think it's been broken for some time as the wear on the cups and spindle showed a funny one-sided pattern.

Included in the deal is a nice set of (180mm) Specialized cranks with rings in very good shape, a pair of XT cantilevers and a Deerhead FD. The Specialized label BB is obviously toast.

The frame is surprisingly light for a mtb this size and is double-butted CrMo with lugs and horizontal dropouts. This one might be fun.

That's earlier then mid 80's, I think? Early 80's possibly? I could be wrong?,,,,BD
Old 12-02-09, 09:08 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Lugged Stumpy's are very early production as they went to TIG welded frames shortly after their release... if you had the fork one could pin down the year just by looking.

And they are gorgeous frames.
Old 12-02-09, 11:08 PM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kknh3
I picked up a 1984 Fuji Touring Series V today. I believe it's all original except for the missing bar tape. A few scuffs and srapes but in generally good shape. It also needs a new rear tube obviously. The gum tires and hoods are in really good shape. A little cracking at the edges on the hoods, but very little on the gum walls.

A little small for me, so it will most likely be cleaned, tuned and sold.
I have that exact bike in my stable. Its one of my favorites, and was found in much the same condition as yours. It cleaned up very nice. I've had people offer several hundred dollars for it, so you should be able to get a nice price. For some reason it's not rated as highly as the Trek 520 touring bike (or as highly sought after), but I think it is of similar quality.

Last edited by CMC SanDiego; 12-03-09 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-03-09, 12:05 AM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
That's earlier then mid 80's, I think? Early 80's possibly? I could be wrong?,,,,BD
I thought early 80's when I found it but after looking around a bit I picked mid-80's but I couldn't find much info on those early bikes. I remember bull moose bars and the all-chrome early Ross mtb's but the Stumpjumpers were the pick of the litter in my part of the world back then.

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Lugged Stumpy's are very early production as they went to TIG welded frames shortly after their release... if you had the fork one could pin down the year just by looking.

And they are gorgeous frames.
And it's even my size
Old 12-03-09, 12:07 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

dued - thinking that the Stumpy might date back to 84-85... the Deore "Stag's Head" group fits in that era.
Old 12-03-09, 07:58 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Miyata 312, '88 I think. I found it left for pickup on the roadside, owner confirmed it was free. Even my size, I'm thinking fixie or 650b conversion for a city ride.
Old 12-03-09, 11:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
OK, now you got me reading everything there is to read about 650B. I don't get it. And I probably don't need another diversion/obsession.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-03-09, 11:12 AM
dphi 

Bikes: Motorola Merckx, '72 Paramount, '72 PX-10, CF Hill

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Since my parents live in Maui, I check their local CL bike listings every once in a while. Not a lot comes up, but every once in a while some rich guy sells off all his old stuff in the garage and a deal pops up. Saw this listing last week and had my dad run out there and pick it up-

"Peugot bicycle - Reynolds frame- Chrome Hubs. Peddling frame included.Can be revamped and used as bicycle or stand in place exercise unit- As is..
This is a vintage Peugot frame. Exercise pedestal handy for indoor..
808-572-6686"

Saw the chrome stays, read Reynolds frame and assumed it was an early-mid 70s PX-10 of some flavor. Looked a little neglected, but well worth the $35. Here are few pictures my dad took after picking it up.

Looks like they added bar-ends and some point and changed out the rear derailler for a Cyclone. Also came attached to an old Novara trainer. Either way, I'm pretty stoked and am looking forward to fixing it up.

Last edited by dphi; 12-05-09 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-03-09, 01:55 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
OK, now you got me reading everything there is to read about 650B. I don't get it. And I probably don't need another diversion/obsession.
Tom,
I haven't ridden one, but they say,(and after obsessing for months, I agree) it is the best size for city and randoneuring. Not as small as 26", not as big as 700c, they create a very cushy, fast ride and provide enough clearance for fenders on these neat old road frames.

Marc

Last edited by irwin7638; 12-03-09 at 01:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.