Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Miyata 1000 - rebuild or restore?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 01:06 AM
peaceonwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

Been scratching my head about this for a couple days so thought I would seek wisdom from good old Bike Forums.

Recently picked up a Miyata 1000 at a garage sale for next to nothing. One of those legendary once in a lifetime finds...as an experienced mechanic and cyclo-tourist my heart nearly stopped when I saw the thing.

It's a 1981 model with almost all original parts, including power ratchet shifters, 40 spoke 120mm spaced wheel, etc etc. Paint is a B+

My question is this: Do I strip off all these parts and try to do a really classy rebuild with more modern components; lighter, better shifting, etc, etc. Or do I clean it up, keep everything stock and have it as more of a time capsule? Are these parts and this bike 'cool' enough to do that with? Would it have higher resale value down the line (should I decide to part with it) if I kept everything stock?

Obviously a pretty subjective question but curious to hear what others have to say. Thanks!
Old 11-07-17, 03:42 AM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Clean it up stock and find a bike that has had a depressing go of component swaps to build up a retro roadie. Or the best plan is whatever has you putting the most miles on it.
Old 11-07-17, 06:51 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
You're right, it's very subjective. There's a market for old stock bikes and I'm not in it. If I liked the frame and needed a bike, I'd retrofit without a second glance.
Old 11-07-17, 06:56 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
It may hurt the resale value if you "update" the bike. Personally I prefer buying a bike with original or near original parts. On the other hand, if someone is looking to buy a touring bike, they will likely value newer parts.

This is a cool bike. What do you want to do with it? If all you want is something to tool around with from time to time, then my vote is to keep it original. If doing some serious touring, then it becomes a closer call.
Old 11-07-17, 07:05 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
it is unusual to find those in original condition. i got one at our co-op that was toast. i built it and road it for 1000 miles or so before i traded it. great riding framset! a little soft for a modern tourer but it was really comfortable.
Old 11-07-17, 01:53 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
I've got a 1984 1000, got it as all original. I replaced the saddle, shifters , bars, stem and brake levers to make it more enjoyable to ride. I kept the original parts incase I decide to sell. On yours if everything works and you like it as is leave it alone. Just don't do something to it that can't be undone.

Old 11-07-17, 02:06 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
FWIW I just sold my 610 with some modern parts. I offered a lower price if folks wanted the original parts on it, didn't have a single bite on that method.

I personally wouldn't have any issue swapping out parts for a restromod build, but keep the old parts in a box. Was not a fan of the crank on mine at all, 50/47/34. It was going to be the first thing to go, had I restromodded it.
Old 11-07-17, 02:18 PM
jefnvk

Just please don't cut the derailleur hanger off it and make it a fixie
Old 11-07-17, 02:31 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have owned a 1985 Miyata 1000 since... well, since 1985! Only a handful of the components are originals; I have replaced parts as they have worn out or were no longer serving my needs: hubs: 1989, wheels and stem: early 1990s, headset: 1998, saddle: 2008, and so on. I have swapped out the cassette and chainrings three or four times and consequently, the current gearing is nothing like the original.

The mid-1980s components that remain include the frame and fork, the handlebar, cranks, seat post, derailleurs, and the brakes.

I find that the original cantilever brakes was superior to the modern cantilever brakes on my second touring bicycle, although the brakes on the Miyata are challenging to adjust.

In my view, there is nothing untoward about upgrading components on a classic bicycle. My Miyata may be 32 years old, but it's not a museum piece. It's a practical and enjoyable way for me to get around.
Old 11-07-17, 03:42 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
For me it would depend on the condition of the original components, but I would likely strip it and rebuild with newer parts if I was actually going to tour on it.
Old 11-07-17, 10:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by peaceonwheels
Obviously a pretty subjective question but curious to hear what others have to say. Thanks!
plan to use it for loaded touring?...i would updatre it with modern components for reliability, comfort, and ease of use.

Plan to use it for day rides every once in awhile?...i would clean all the original components and leave it as stock as possible while making sure it fits.
Old 11-07-17, 11:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by peaceonwheels
Here's my subjective answer: I bought one of these in ... 1981. It was my first "adult" bike, and I used it for everything, including touring. I took it to Scotland, and Greece, rode it on the East Coast, down half the West Coast, and various places in the midwest. I loaned it to someone to get home the night of the 1989 quake when I lived in Berkeley, and it got stolen when the guy got mugged. So if you keep it intact, you can get a lot of enjoyment out of it, and I can live vicariously.

Having said that, the main deficiencies were the brakes and I think the gearing was kind of high. But if you can live with those, it will likely be fine as it is.

Congratulations on the find!

Mine was maroon with a little dent on the top tube. Don't suppose ...?
Old 11-07-17, 11:21 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I don’t get attached to material objects. To me, a bike is just a tool that allows me to do something enjoyable. Same goes for electronics . . . always something better on the market.

So it’s not likely I would buy an old bike to ride, because newer bikes are generally better. If I had an older bike, there would be no hesitation in swapping out stuff to improve. It’s not like a classic car found in a barn that you’ll be able to cash in on someday because there is a huge demand. Old bikes are generally not worth much. Look at 90% of the listings on CL.
Old 11-07-17, 11:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I don’t get attached to material objects. To me, a bike is just a tool that allows me to do something enjoyable. Same goes for electronics . . . always something better on the market.

So it’s not likely I would buy an old bike to ride, because newer bikes are generally better. If I had an older bike, there would be no hesitation in swapping out stuff to improve. It’s not like a classic car found in a barn that you’ll be able to cash in on someday because there is a huge demand. Old bikes are generally not worth much. Look at 90% of the listings on CL.
Old 11-08-17, 12:02 AM
alan s 

Here’s a classic available on CL for $60. Needs a bit of cleaning, but if you can see past the dirt, or the “excellent patina,” it’s a nice bike.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...378227479.html

Old 11-08-17, 12:30 AM
stanram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If all the parts are original, why rebuild it...just clean it up!!
Old 11-08-17, 03:00 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm more concerned as to why the OP has a join date of June 2008, and this is their first ever post...

Anyway, do whatever you want to do with it. I've sunk £150 into a £20 beater of a bike before, with a respray, new decals, cleaned up and polished original components and new wheels/tyres. It was worth £50-£70 at best when it was finished, but it was what I wanted and I loved it.

I believe we call it a "Labour Of Love" over here
Old 11-08-17, 08:47 AM
jefnvk

You do realize that Miyata 1000s in good condition regularly sell for the price of a brand new Fuji/Nashbar/Windsor touring, right? Other than a couple more gears, I don't see why any of them would be considered to be better than a mid-80s Miyata 1000, after they got the cantis and more mounting points.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miyata-1000...IAAOSw4PxZ6lMD
Old 11-08-17, 10:36 AM
peaceonwheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

I forgot to mention that I have another touring bike so I would do any serious rides on that. If it's about my bike needs at the moment, I just want a cool commuter. Might turn this into a single speed (don't worry won't hack the hanger off) but do what some here have suggested and keep the original components in a box somewhere for a rainy day

Cheers
Old 11-08-17, 10:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Fix it up the way you want to ride it, but do not throw any of the parts away in case you want to restore it later.

One of my bikes is a 1961 vintage Italian racing bike with Columbus tubing, it was full Campy except brakes were Mafac.

I did not like the brake levers, the handlebars were too narrow, stem was too low. I put on different bars, stem, brake levers and a quill to threadless adapter. Gearing was really high (as all race bikes back then), it had huge chainrings and a corncob cluster with tubulars. I put on a new triple crank for wider gearing, different wheels (126mm instead of 120mm) that had a wider geared six speed freewheel (instead of five) and clinchers. I still hate friction downtube shifters, but at least I have much better gearing and it fits me much better now. I did repaint it, but it really needed paint so the original paint added no value - head badge still is original paint. Also added some fenders that are 70s or 80s vintage.

A few photos attached.

My point is you should set it up the way you would want it for riding, you can always restore it later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP1554.JPG (480.1 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg
20IMGP1558.JPG (406.4 KB, 200 views)
Old 11-08-17, 12:53 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by jefnvk
You do realize that Miyata 1000s in good condition regularly sell for the price of a brand new Fuji/Nashbar/Windsor touring, right? Other than a couple more gears, I don't see why any of them would be considered to be better than a mid-80s Miyata 1000, after they got the cantis and more mounting points.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miyata-1000...IAAOSw4PxZ6lMD
I would prefer a nice, new REI bike, such as the $823 one linked below.

https://www.rei.com/product/109339/c...es-adv-31-bike
Old 11-08-17, 02:00 PM
jefnvk

I would prefer a nice, new REI bike, such as the $823 one linked below.

https://www.rei.com/product/109339/c...es-adv-31-bike
I've got one of those, and I'd also prefer a touring bike built on a Miyata 1000 frame, regardless if left relatively original or with new components
Old 11-08-17, 02:16 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I've got one of those, and I'd also prefer a touring bike built on a Miyata 1000 frame, regardless if left relatively original or with new components
Seriously? You would trade in your new bike for a 30+ year old bike and go touring on it? Any concern about finding replacement parts in the hinterlands?
Old 11-08-17, 03:12 PM
jefnvk

Seriously? You would trade in your new bike for a 30+ year old bike and go touring on it? Any concern about finding replacement parts in the hinterlands?
First off, it would be in addition to, not in place of.

And secondly, there isn't a helluva lot different between that Miyata 1000 and that REI, mechanically. Newer does not necessarily equal better. New derailleur will screw in. New brake calipers will fit just fine. Spacing can easily be set to 130 to accommodate any replacement wheel, if it isn't there already. Other than a couple extra gears and brifters, there is literally no functional difference between that and a new bike. Replace the components, and you have a modern bike built on a much nicer frame than you will find without dropping quite a bit of money on a new piece. If it is going to be difficult to replace on that bike in the hinterlands, it will be hard to replace on the modern bike too.

And FYI, yes I am looking for a classic tourer to replace my recently sold Miyata 610 to take to France next year, even though I have the REI. I want something I don't care so much about. Nearly bought a $75 Reynolds tubed 30 year old Peugeot today for that purpose, if someone wouldn't have beaten me to it.
Old 11-08-17, 03:30 PM
alan s 

Full disclosure: I have never ridden a Miyata or any so called classic touring bike. However, I find it hard to believe there were magical qualities in frames made 30 years ago that are anything more than fanciful thinking. If you feel better riding on an old frame, that’s fine. But I doubt you could tell the difference blindfolded, between that and a new bike made of the same materials and same geometry. Don’t try the blindfold, of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.