Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jerk Driver

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Jerk Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 03:04 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
^ Yeah Wikipedia is a great legal resource. Even in the formulation that your are talking about, the Best evidence rule was used to prevent a witness from testifying as to the content of a document if the document itself was available.

Thus it originally related to the contents of documents.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-24-09, 03:06 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
^ Yeah Wikipedia is a great legal resource. Even in the formulation that you're talking about, the Best evidence rule was used to prevent a witness from testifying as to the content of a document if the document itself was available.

Thus it originally related to the contents of documents.
I already said I was wrong...

Last edited by Enthalpic; 07-24-09 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 03:08 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
And I was going to apologize for piling on, but then you posted again. I think we've beaten this horse enough now.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-24-09, 03:20 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
You say that like beating horses isn't fun.
Old 07-24-09, 03:44 PM
jbarham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
THis is awesome awesomeness and has been copied for future reference.
Old 07-24-09, 05:38 PM
laduckslayer
Watch This!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 5000; 2006 Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, I thought we were gonna have us barn burning, knee slapping, best evidence fight....
Old 07-24-09, 08:25 PM
RLRider

Bikes: Redline R750, 1974 Raleigh International

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where is the @#$%^ vid!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-09, 09:29 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do we know if the driver faced any consequences after the video was turned in?
Old 08-19-09, 09:36 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Inquiring minds need to know!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-19-09, 10:12 PM
kvnhlstd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
WTF? The Best Evidence rule relates to the admission of original documents as oppossed to copies, and typically copies are only excluded when there is a legitimate dispute over the contents of the original.

The only way the best evidence rule would have anything to do with this case is if the porsecutor was offering a copy of the Video into evidence, as oppossed to the original of the video.

The Best Evidence rule has nothing to do with a preference for video over eyewitness testimony in proving the occurrence of an event.

The "Best Evidence Rule" in Federal Courts is embodied in Federal Rule of Evidence 1003, Admissability of duplicates.

It simply states: A duplicate is admissable to the same extent of the original unless (1) a geniune issue is raised as to the authenticity of the original or (2) in the circumstances it would be unfair to admit the duplicate in lieu of the original.

It simply has no application to this discussion.
Coming from a Law Enforcement background, Under the rule of best evidence the camera should have been entered as evidence not a cdr. The cameras hrd drv is what is covered under the best evidence rule, the cdr could have been a manipulated copy. The defense has the opportunity to have experts review the hrd drv to see if the original video has been manipulated.
So like the suit said above, its about the original evidence and copies... Bottom line great job on catching the idiot in action. Maybe there is a civil angle... undo stress while riding thinking sooner or later he would hit you.
Old 08-19-09, 11:03 PM
Rupert
n00b

Bikes: Bike-less at the moment!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the video.
Old 08-20-09, 12:07 AM
obra3
Little Pony

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh god. This is still going on? Gave it to the police. Got a call from an officer about 2 weeks later.

<rant>

He said, oh, we could cite you for violations. I was like I decided to leave that alone, given I know which battles to fight. Officer didn't exactly know what I do for a living and that I qualify as an expert witness on cycling. -not to mention the wife's qualifications- and we were in no way in violation of any laws. He mentioned that we were in violation of not riding in a bike lane. Double

There's no bike lane markings. No notice. Nothing demarcating it as a bike lane. He said that he talked to the city engineer and was told that it's a bike lane- that's unmarked. Whatever.

Being on friendly terms with the city engineer, I might send him a polite note.

</rant>

As far as the video is concerned, the officer said he'd forward it to the DA's office. Also knowing the DA, I'll shoot an e-mail over to find out if A. he got it and B. if he did, what the status is. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-20-09, 12:27 AM
swak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post the video already then.
Old 08-20-09, 05:11 AM
42Ultimate

Bikes: FujiTeamPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. Talk about Instant Karma! Even if the DA can't use it to prosecute it would be great if they could take up his time/ resources in dealing with it. And I would also like to see the video when you can.
Old 08-20-09, 05:18 AM
42Ultimate

Bikes: FujiTeamPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IRONHEAD1
just yesterday I was on a very open 2 lane road with a bike lane and while riding in the bike lane i had a truck buzz by me so close at about 60 mph that i felt his mirror nearly brush my shoulder, damn sometimes i wish their vehicle was to break down just ahead.
A couple of years ago my husband and I were riding on a narrow road with no bike lane but a great view. Most of the motorists are great and give up plenty of room when passing. But a truck with a boat on the trailer really buzzed us. Then again, when we got to the top of the next hill he was stopped at the bottom and smoke us coming from his transmission. A bit more instant karma than was probably warranted, but made for a smile as we passed him.
Old 08-20-09, 07:34 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Sounds like you interrupted the cops coffee/donut break and required him/her to do actual work...ah well life can be rough.
Old 08-20-09, 09:19 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Wow, the cop is an idiot. Not to mention, you don't have to ride in a bike lane even if there is one.
Old 08-20-09, 09:33 AM
false_cause
Camo Shorts

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic 12 SS, CAAD9, Soma Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I became a cyclist, I did not appreciate how close was close. From my former perspective as a driver, I can accurately steer my car within an inch of parked car mirrors at speed so I had a similar outlook on bikes. I never came within an inch of a cyclist, of course, but probably a foot. Until I was actually riding in the street it was never impressed upon me how easily and quickly a cyclist can move out of a line or how often we may need to do this for debris, potholes, etc. Nor how much the wind from a car can jar us. In hindsight it is idiotically myopic not to realize these things, but I'm a smart and thoughtful guy who just never had the perspective back then. I'm sure plenty of people are in a similar situation, though plenty of people are jerks too.
Old 08-20-09, 10:28 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who are all you ****en lawyers billing for the time you're spending on BF?
Old 08-20-09, 10:49 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
you don't have to ride in a bike lane even if there is one.
Well, you do have to ride in the bike lane if you're in California. Unless you have a legal reason not to (avoiding obstacle, passing, turning, riding speed of traffic, etc.).

Old 08-20-09, 12:20 PM
obra3
Little Pony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here ya go:

https://www.vholdr.com/node/41481

A couple quick notes before anyone comments.

the wife is a little ahead and right of me when the road widens.
the other vehicles give plenty of clearance.
the passenger side view mirror passed very close to my head.
there was no oncoming traffic and there was an unobstructed view of the road ahead.
the vehicle went ahead 50 meters, then slowed down to 20 mph, holding up 2 vehicles that had already passed us.
Old 08-20-09, 12:24 PM
Dorsilfin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like you were in the wrong..

I mean you were riding a bike.. on a road.. thats meant for cars and trucks.. so what did you expect?

ps.. awesome setup on the vid camera!
Old 08-20-09, 12:36 PM
obra3
Little Pony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by false_cause
Before I became a cyclist, I did not appreciate how close was close. From my former perspective as a driver, I can accurately steer my car within an inch of parked car mirrors at speed so I had a similar outlook on bikes. I never came within an inch of a cyclist, of course, but probably a foot. Until I was actually riding in the street it was never impressed upon me how easily and quickly a cyclist can move out of a line or how often we may need to do this for debris, potholes, etc. Nor how much the wind from a car can jar us. In hindsight it is idiotically myopic not to realize these things, but I'm a smart and thoughtful guy who just never had the perspective back then. I'm sure plenty of people are in a similar situation, though plenty of people are jerks too.
Meh. This guy has been successfully prosecuted for harassing cyclists before. In another incident he followed a 72 year old rider up a hill (very easy to pass) and sat on the horn for about a half mile. When Cycle Oregon went through, he slowed down next to every rider going up a hill and proceeded to lay on the horn. He has trapped a cyclist in a driveway before.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Well, you do have to ride in the bike lane if you're in California. Unless you have a legal reason not to (avoiding obstacle, passing, turning, riding speed of traffic, etc.).
I'd assume that would be for marked bike lanes. This would have been a problem up until a few years ago where riding to the right of a fogline in this so called "bike lane" could pose a problem in an accident- insurance companies would seek to lay the blame on riders for "passing on the right." (especially in right hook cases)

Edit: I also just checked- there's no such thing as an "unmarked" bike lane. " 'Bicycle lane' means that part of the highway, adjacent to the roadway, designated by official signs or markings for use by persons riding bicycles except as otherwise specifically provided by law." I just sent a note off to the city traffic engineer.

Originally Posted by Dorsilfin
looks like you were in the wrong..

I mean you were riding a bike.. on a road.. thats meant for cars and trucks.. so what did you expect?

ps.. awesome setup on the vid camera!
Thanks!

Last edited by obra3; 08-20-09 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 09:48 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-21-09, 05:50 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by obra3
He said, oh, we could cite you for violations. I was like I decided to leave that alone, given I know which battles to fight. Officer didn't exactly know what I do for a living and that I qualify as an expert witness on cycling. -not to mention the wife's qualifications- and we were in no way in violation of any laws. He mentioned that we were in violation of not riding in a bike lane. Double
I've encountered this kind of nonsense myself before -- though unsolicited legal advice I receive on the roads normally comes from motorists.

Curiously, NONE of this advice has ever been correct. And strangely, none of the people seem familiar/concerned with the safe passing law despite the fact it received a lot of publicity and their made up laws have not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.