Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of adding a gravel bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Thinking of adding a gravel bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 12:42 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I love it, I can't find a negative thing to say about it. As I ride it I'm trying to figure out if I want narrow road bars and maybe drop the stem, because that's what I'm use to. But I kinda like the position. I'm 5'9" and got the 56cm, it feels a little big, but I like taller seattubes, the stock stem is a 90mm and I ordered an 80mm to shorten the reach a bit. The bike rides exactly like a road bike, but with wider tires.
Looks like I'm not too much taller than you. I'm trying to talk myself into a 58, but I should really stick to the 56. I guess I'll have to pass on last year's good deal. Going for a 2017 Expat more than likely.
Old 02-17-17, 12:46 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

$2100 for the CrossRip 3? Good lord. Its just an aluminum frame carbon fork 105 shifting adventure bike with hydraulic brakes.
- Here is 105 and hydraulic mated to aluminum and carbon for $1050. Mongoose Sealus Expert
That is a great price for an aluminum frame, carbon fork + 105. Motobecane Omni Strada Comp has the exact same specs for $999 at Bikes Direct. Only difference I see (besides color)... frame sizes on Mongoose are even numbered, Motobecane's are odd numbered.

Agree on CrossRip... Trek's pricing in the adventure/gravel category is ridiculous.
Old 02-17-17, 12:48 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dbf909
Shark Valley is one of the coolest places I've been on a bike. This is the best time of year to go - no mosquitoes or deer flies, the water is down, and the gators and other wildlife are out.

My son an I did the loop there about 3-4 weeks ago and no exaggeration we saw at least 100 alligators between the parking lot and the tower (7 miles). Many were literally a couple of feet from the paved trail and some were actually lying with their tails out in the roadway. You had to avoid riding over them! It was a little unnerving at first but once you realized that they were very used to people and were totally non-aggressive. They would just open an eye and look at you as you passed.

I have yet to ride the entire 25 mi levee loop in Broward - Altantic W to Sawgrass Rec Park (27), down to I-75, in to Markham Park, back up to Atlantic. I've ridden most of the route individually though - all except the 2 mi stretch on the narrow shoulder of 27 (kind of scary with cars and trucks passing at 70-80mph) and the western half of the trail from 27 back to Markham.

There are some great trails south of Markham as well although I've not explored them all yet. Also some great trails north and west of Lox. I've done a few of them but not all. So far the roughest ride is the stretch from Atlantic out to SR27. If you do the loop clockwise and the wind is out of the east, that can be a brutal 10 miles.

There are some other trails in Everglades National Park and Big Cypress that I plan to do before late spring (when it starts getting hot and the bugs come out). If you take SR41 (Tamiami Trail) west there are some great places to explore in Everglades City and Chokoloskee. Also, the 38 mi road from Homestead to Flamingo is really cool with lots of smaller loops. Much of this is far less visited than Shark Valley.

I seriously considered both the Trek DS and FX as my first bike for the levees. However, I found a mint 2011 Giant Roam 1 in a Pawn shop that looked like it had been ridden maybe 5 times and stored in the garage for $150 so I figured I would try it. I made the mistake of letting my son ride it and he loved the bike so I gave it to him and figured I would find another one. I ended up buying another Roam new from Bike America for not much money and figured I would ride it until I figured out what would be better. So far I haven't felt like I need to upgrade it but am actually looking at buying a road bike ???

Winter is definitely the best time for Shark Valley, I've been in December, April and November. In April my daughter and I were on a walking trail by the tower and couldn't go very far because a big ol' gator was blocking the path.

And yes the stretch of 27 is terrifying. I've done it a bit and I usually go full sprint through there. A few times on charity rides out there they take the loop counter clockwise so at least you can see what's about to hit you or blow you to the side. I haven't done the Everglades Park bit yet but want to, I've heard the road is a little torn up in places so the FX or Crossrip might be better for that. I'd also use the new bike for the overseas highway in the keys, too much crap and small coral pebbles for a road bike unless you want to change tubes and tires 3-4 times. I've done it several times on the old MTB with H2 (1.5" hybrid tires).

What we lack in hills we more than make up for in beautiful year round riding weather, I've yet to break out the jacket this year and I ride 6 mornings a week. Have a great weekend!
Old 02-17-17, 02:12 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I plan to do a Keys trip soon as well. I've been down there (Key Largo, Islamorada, Duck Key, and Key West) countless times in 30 years by car and boat but I've not done it with a bike. 7 mile bridge and the Long Key area look like a great place to ride.
Old 02-17-17, 02:43 PM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
How do you like? I've got my eyes on a 2016 Jamis Exploit at the LBS. Took a test ride last night. A really plush ride. Probably not a rocket ship, but not a rocking chair either. What size do you have? They have it in a 58, but my road bike is a 56. I'm an odd body type. 5' 10" with long arms, legs, but small torso.
The Exploit is a sweet bike and it was a tough call between it and the carbon Expert. I wound up with the Expert. I'm a leggy 5'11" and the 56 fits me perfectly. Based on your description I think the 58 would be too big.

I also think the OP should take a look at the Renegade too!
Old 02-18-17, 01:07 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by birru
The Exploit is a sweet bike and it was a tough call between it and the carbon Expert. I wound up with the Expert. I'm a leggy 5'11" and the 56 fits me perfectly. Based on your description I think the 58 would be too big.

I also think the OP should take a look at the Renegade too!
Well, I went to the local LBS today with my size 56 Jamis Quest so I could do a side by side comparison with their size 58 Exploit. I was surprised to see they lined up pretty closely. So I had them do some adjustments to the seat and handlebars and it felt good on the test ride. This was after being all set to order a size 56 Expat, but I left their shop to think it over. When I came home to do some more internet research on it, I found a 2016 Expert for sale at Jenson USA. I decided to go for it. Basically I'm getting the Expert for the price the LBS was selling the Exploit. After my test ride today I'm feeling confident I can dial in the size 58 the way I want.

Last edited by bikecrate; 02-20-17 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 07:34 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Nice bike, how much did you get it for off of Craig's list?

Originally Posted by deex
I'm in South Florida and I just added a cyclocross/gravel bike to my collection. You need drop bars for it to be a proper gravel bike. I do two rides per week of ~25 miles at night and it is awesome! We have a ~5 mile section where we call it the hammerfest and being able to average 20-22 mph in that section makes it worthwhile. I've only had it for three weeks And I have put around 200 miles and enjoy every minute of it.

I did not want to spend too much money but found a decent one on Craigslist.

If you are getting a gravel bike I say you get one with drop bars. That is my vote.

I am ridding 40cm tubeless maxxis ramblers and the 11 speed sram rival group set. It is a BD Mobecane CycloCross pro. I made some changes to it but it rides really well.

Good luck.

Edit: I ride with the people at Bike America WPB. Every Wednesday they have a levee ride at night. They also have one most Thursday's.

https://www.facebook.com/Bike-Americ...7561022308255/
Old 02-18-17, 07:40 PM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chas58
Nice bike, how much did you get it for off of Craig's list?
I got it for $650 but added a couple of hundred more on changing the cables and handle wrap to black from white along with the stem, seatpost and a new seat. It goes for $1200 on bikes direct.
Old 03-08-17, 08:31 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

I added a gravel bike to my collection... can't wait to go on some epic rides.

Motobecane Omni Strada Comp with 105 components. Purchased from BikesDirect. Assembled and fine-tuned by the LBS.

Additions:

Nashbar Saddle Bag
Speedplay Frog Pedals
Revelate Frame Bag
Zefal bottle cages
Cateye Strada Bike Computer
Mounts for Niterider head and tail lights

Old 03-08-17, 10:33 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
^^
How do you like the Revelate bag?
Old 03-08-17, 12:30 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Originally Posted by TimothyH
^^
How do you like the Revelate bag?
It fits the bike perfectly... but I haven't had a chance to go on a long ride with it yet. The bag is very well-made and was easy to install. Look and feels like it's built to last a long time. I'm looking forward to using it on 50+ mile rides.
Old 03-08-17, 12:33 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Here's a pic of the 40mm tires..... BikesDirect says it can fit 45mm tires.

Old 03-08-17, 08:22 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
It fits the bike perfectly...
What size is your frame and the Revelate bag? I have looked at them but was curious about the bottle clearance on my 56?
Old 03-09-17, 07:23 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Originally Posted by af2nr
What size is your frame and the Revelate bag? I have looked at them but was curious about the bottle clearance on my 56?
Medium. Large would have been too long and there would be no room for bottles. My frame is a 55cm, so it's likely to be close to your 56.
Old 03-10-17, 05:12 AM
bch238

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FloridaMTB, I don't know if you have decided yet, but I'd recommend the drop bar bike over the flat for more hand positions. Before you know it, you'll be doing 50 mile rides on the levees, and the drop bars will help. I live in the same area as you, and for a couple years rode the levee system (and some trails in north/central Florida) on a Crossrip Elite before upgrading to a Boone 5 Disc, which eats up about 80 miles of levee per week. I love it. I also shop at the Trek Sunrise store, and Jeff and the rest of the guys are great. The 'rip is a nice bike and well-suited for levee riding. You can upgrade the tires to tubeless, which smoothes out the roughest sections, i.e., the E-W segment between Atlantic and US27. If you make it up to the Lox Wilderness Refuge (the southernmost entrance is in Parkland), you will find the gravel to be orders of magnitude smoother. I've seen eagles, boar, lots of deer, and a bobcat along the levee. If you are considering the top of the line Crossrip, also consider a Crockett, which is a CX bike. Like the Boone, it will accommodate at least 38mm tires, probably even a true 40mm. I currently ride with Schwalbe G-One Allrounds in 35mm tubeless. Good luck on your hunt for the perfect bike.