Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 09:42 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AL NZ
A 4-day holiday weekend here in NZ, spring is sprung, so I did a little spring maintenance on my 4 speed Raleigh, plus swapped a brown B66 for a black Flyer Special on my old BSA, and it looks much better. Goes better, too, with the narrow saddle.

Here are the pics. They could have gone in the 'What are you wrenching?' or 'White tyres' threads, but this is the thread that never dies ..

The Raleigh had decaying but nice Michelins on it, so I bought some Cheng Shins. I quite like the grey, but the quality is not special. They don't quite fit right, so both front and rear have a bit of a flat spot because I don't think the inner diameter is quite right for the stainless Dunlop rims. I deflated and fettled and re-inflated but I cannot eliminate the problem.
They will work. Barely. It takes some effort, but a tire bead seating tool, a good pump, a little Windex, and good, narrow rim strips all help.

I had to deal with that issue for a while with some Schwinn S-6 Chengies.
Old 11-13-10, 09:51 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by TuckamoreDew
You have seen pictures of this bike (1965 CCM Continental) before but here are a couple of me enjoying it as its new owner. This is my first 3-speed and I like it a lot.

Looking good there...
Old 11-16-10, 06:17 PM
Threespeeder
threespeeder

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Sport 3 spd, 77 Raleigh Folder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sports fenders

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Kurt - When it's a little nicer I will put the girls together for a side by side shot but this is as close as they will get for now.

The Lenton is an inch taller at the head tube than the Sports but is still riding on it's EA1 wheels which puts both bikes at nearly identical standover heights and the room in the bikepit is almost the same.

The geometry is very similar if not identical... both bikes have relatively short rear stays as they were built for a smaller wheel.

I am pretty sure the straight gauge Sports weighs less than the Lenton which is a 531 frame... before I added the fenders and swapped out the bars and brakes it was 26 pounds on the scale from the loo.

The Lenton's did not come with the lovely heron chain wheel but rather have a swappable 1/8 track chain ring on a 3 bolt spider as these were used for everything to commuting to time trials and club racing. The Lenton could have also been purchased as a three speed for a few pounds more.

The Bluemel fenders fit wonderfully on the Sports and there is still good clearance between them and the 700:32 tyres which are some run of the mill Duro Proteks... they have a vintage look and I have had good success with these tyres.

The Lenton uses the same fenders and you can see how much extra clearance there is in the frame.

I am not sure how these new parts would fit into a modern Sports as the geometry on the '54 might be just a little different, I do know that you cannot use the stock steel fenders in a 700c conversion.

And of course, because I built a fair weather and rain bike... it is now snowing.
Nice Sports! Interesting post on the Bleumel fenders. I have a 73 Sports and need to replace the original fenders since the rear fender is bent so that the stays keep rubbing against the Schwalbe cream tyres. Also, from what you wrote, it sounds like I might also be able to replace the stock wheels with 700cc wheels? Thanks!

Last edited by Threespeeder; 11-16-10 at 06:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-16-10, 06:24 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Threespeeder
Nice Sports! Interesting post on the Bleumel fenders. I have a 73 Sports and need to replace the original fenders since the rear fender is bent so that the stays keep rubbing against the Schwalbe cream tyres. Also, from what you wrote, it sounds like I might also be able to replace the stock wheels with 700cc wheels? Thanks!
The 700's are a pretty close fit but they are 32's and I still have room for fenders.

It does change the handling a little in that it feels quicker (than a Sports) but is by no means twitchy.

It looks like winter is upon us and these old folks will soon have to stay inside for a season... I will let the younger kids play in the snow.
Old 11-16-10, 06:35 PM
Threespeeder
threespeeder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
*cough*

These are both fixed gear conversions... the Twenty was a 3 speed originally and will be a 3 speed again albeit with an SA SX3 fixed gear hub.

1973 Raleigh Gran Sport

1973 Phillip's Twenty

My daughters ride English 3 speeds... they use these for all their about town riding and commuting since they are properly fendered and have chain guards.

1980 Raleigh Saffron

1973 Raleigh Fireball custom.

And the fair and beautiful one has this as her "B" bike... her A bike is a modern version with an 8 speed IGH.

1974 Raleigh Twenty
Nice looking 20! I have been bidding on Raleigh 20s on Ebay to no avail! I keep looking for them (or a Superbe or better yet a loop frame Tourist!) at second hand shops and yard sales in the area. As I am sure you realize this has not been too productive! Here in The S.E corner of WA state it is a rarity and also a very exciting moment to view a genuine English 3 speed on the road. Most are sad looking cookie cutter Mtn bikes and road bikes around here.Anyway I will continue with my quest while thoroughly enjoying this forum!
Old 11-17-10, 10:05 AM
Threespeeder
threespeeder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Veloria

My husband and I ride a pair of DL-1s; mine a 1973 and his a 1972. Best bikes ever.
Wow, real beaut's! I have a 73 Sports with the same Delta creams and they really dress the old guy up but your DL 1s take the cake! I am looking for a DL-1 here in WA state, E. side and it is like the search for the Holy Grail! Though I am a male type I think the loop frame is practical and beautiful. Last time I rode a DL-1 was in the 50s at my grandparents in Watford N of London. I think it was a loop frame thus as a ten year old I was able to ride on a full size bike. Hmm I wonder if that bike is still extant?!
Old 11-17-10, 10:15 AM
criscoshoes
Ahoy there!

Bikes: 1970 Raleigh Competition, 1962 Raleigh Gran Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 1962 Raleigh Gran Sport that I recently converted to 3 speed. Hi-ten frame, running a Sturmey Archer SRF3 and modern components.

Originally, a racing bike: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...ran-sport.html. Rides nicely as a around-the-town bicycle!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PA220001..jpg (100.0 KB, 247 views)
PA220002..jpg (102.1 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by criscoshoes; 11-20-10 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Updating photos and description.
Likes For criscoshoes:
Old 11-17-10, 12:12 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
In the womb, preparing for rebirth...
Old 11-17-10, 01:16 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,702 Times in 2,612 Posts
That rubber mallet is key to proper development, too, I'll bet!

Neal
Old 11-17-10, 02:18 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Whack 'em, I say.
Old 11-17-10, 03:06 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Just finished with the ladies Triumph I picked up a couple of days ago. I think the bike is a 1976 +/-.

I really liked how it turned out. I have to get it on C/L quick before the wife gets home. If she sees it, its going into the keeper fleet.

Old 11-17-10, 04:03 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Originally Posted by wrk101
Just finished with the ladies Triumph I picked up a couple of days ago. I think the bike is a 1976 +/-.

I really liked how it turned out. I have to get it on C/L quick before the wife gets home. If she sees it, its going into the keeper fleet.

Wow. That's identical in almost every way to my Phillips, Tweaky:

Edit: Okay, in several ways.

Last edited by Roll-Monroe-Co; 11-17-10 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Okay
Old 11-17-10, 04:14 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101

Very nice.
Old 11-17-10, 04:17 PM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, looky what came in the mail to-day.

It'll be 38 years old next month, but it just escaped from the box.
Old 11-21-10, 07:44 PM
nick22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hercules (Birmingham made)

Any suggestions for fenders to finish this project would be appreciated. The Hercules-made hub is an interesting feature of this bike.

https://s726.photobucket.com/albums/w...Ddriveside.jpg

thanks, nick
Old 11-21-10, 09:15 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Cool old Herc. How does the work? I'm in the midst of redoing this old Hercules, the hub is simular to yours but an A Type O, the model is a Birmingham made Renoun. I've been unable to find much infor on these hubs other than they seem to pre-date the Hercamatics and the B Types which I believe were made by Sturmey Archer.

Attached Images
100_3877..jpg (89.7 KB, 503 views)
100_3882..jpg (85.5 KB, 494 views)
2010%20frame%20pro.jpg (97.7 KB, 497 views)
asset..jpg (3.3 KB, 488 views)
Old 11-21-10, 09:19 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by x136
Oh, looky what came in the mail to-day.

It'll be 38 years old next month, but it just escaped from the box.
Nice find... what are you going to use it for ?

I have been enjoying my new 3 speed mtb a great deal... more than a few people have come into the shop with freewheel / freehub issues due to the cold and the AG has been purring along in what has been -20 C weather and it does not realize that it is winter.
Old 11-21-10, 09:34 PM
nick22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
Cool old Herc. How does the work? I'm in the midst of redoing this old Hercules, the hub is simular to yours but an A Type O, the model is a Birmingham made Renoun. I've been unable to find much infor on these hubs other than they seem to pre-date the Hercamatics and the B Types which I believe were made by Sturmey Archer.

It shifts just fine; the steering is a little jittery for some reason; what are thinking about for fenders? nick
Old 11-21-10, 10:22 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
It most likely had a paint to match set like a raleigh. I'd look for a used set.
Old 11-21-10, 10:59 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
I'm in the midst of redoing this old Hercules, the hub is simular to yours but an A Type O. I've been unable to find much infor on these hubs other than they seem to pre-date the Hercamatics and the B Types which I believe were made by Sturmey Archer.
Am I right in assuming that the Hercules hubs were not date stamped?
Old 11-22-10, 01:27 AM
Road Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I grew up in small coal towns in the Pennsylvania mountains(USA) and there wasn't a whole lot of anything available. But on or about 1961 a family moved in on the other side of our duplex and during the move leaned an old girls bike against the fence. Well, there it stayed and everyday I would walk down the alley and stop to gaze at this marvelous machine decaying in front of me. Now I could read so I knew it was English built which was just great with me because I was already in love with British Sports Cars and I was constantly reading about the Austin Healeys, MGs, Triumps as well as the Tour de France.

It never occured to me that someday this steel beauty would be mine plus it was a girls bike afterall. She needed brake shoes, gear changer/cable and new tires/tubes. Well, since I wasn't too discrete about my gawking the lady had seen me oogleing her bike everyday and came out to talk to me. She asked if I liked the bike - it's English, what's not to like so I said yea. Then she told me I could have it. My brain was swimming as I could not believe what just took place. I picked her up and carried her home to the back porch.

There was no money in our family and I had already been informed that if I ever wanted a bike I would have to procure one myself. As a child I was pretty thrifty - on allowance day my brothers would run to the local candy store and immediately gobble their allowance into obscurity. Me, I was into "stuff". We didn't have much so I would save my allowance @ 50 cents per week until I had enough to get what I wanted. I took side jobs weeding gardens, picking raspberries or green beans, shoveling snow, mowing lawns, anything to accumulate extra cash for more "stuff". The high point of every year was at Halloween. During the spring and summer I grew Indian Corn and Pumpkins while everybody else was growing tomatoes. Tomatoes? Seriously? Anyway, about a month before Halloween I would go door to door getting pre-orders for bundles of Indian Corn and Pumpkins which I delivered a couple weeks before Halloween. All totaled I would net about $12.00 which was alot to me.

So one piece at a time I started buying needed parts for what turned out to be a 1950s Hercules - black of course. Tires and tubes were first - I could then ride it albiet a little tough to get going in 3rd gear and even tougher to stop with me straddleing the top bar dragging my shoes in the gravel of the alleys. Next came brake shoes - you just can't appreciate what you can do with brakes until you ride without them. Finally, I needed a gear changer with cable. In my town of 7,000 people there was no such part available. So I jumped on a bus that crossed the Susquehanna River into what was called a "City" where the store of stores was located - Montgomery Wards. I ordered me a Sturmey Archer gear changer and cable and waited the three weeks before I had to once again cross the River to pick it up.

You can imagine the sensation of spending months saving money to buy parts and then ripping through the gears that first time - what a rush! I was in Bicycle Heaven! Thank God for the English! I zoomed everywhere that first day until dark set in. As luck would have it the brother of a good friend of mine donated all the parts from another 1950s Hercules boys bike that he had torn apart in an attempt to motorize it. In the boxfulls of parts that arrived was a generator and light set. Before long I was riding a 1950s boys Hercules(black of course) equipped to ride at night as well as day.

When I came home from College all the bikes and parts that I had acquired had made their way to the dump. It wasn't till about a year ago that I reunited with another Hercules 3 speed - again, black of course. It was listed in Craigs List for $50 and was just a 15 minute drive away. The hub is marked for 1975 production and even though it doesn't have the air pump braze ons that my 1950s models did, it is in very nice original condition. I've been building and wrenching on balloon tire bikes for awhile now so I just took some pics and moved her into storage. I was so elated to go through all these 46 pages of English 3 speeds that I feel inspired to go clean her up. I hope I didn't bore anyone too much - sometimes old people are long winded. Enjoy the pics and thanks. Robert

Old 11-22-10, 02:12 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Road Master... that was beautifully written.

The Hercules is a beautiful bike.
Old 11-22-10, 04:03 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Road Master,

Well said Good things come to those that wait! I always wanted a Raleigh Superbe, it took 40 years but I finally go one, thanks to the generosity of a fellow forum member.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-23-10, 05:21 AM
Road Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys! Thank you for the kind words. I'm getting ready for another Indiana winter. We don't get a ton of snow here but the weather is definitely not conducive to working on bikes. I put new gaskets and stops on the garage door plus added an additional ceiling light so I'm all set for another season of cleaning parts for my balloon bikes and detailing my Hercules.

I notice in the pics that my white cable covers have yellowed some - does anyone have any cleaning tricks to share on how to restore them to white/white? I prefer to keep them original as they are not cracked or damaged. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

It's really nice to have a place that like interested bicyclists can share stories and ideas. When I had my Herc as a kid I was obviously the only one in town that had one so I was pretty much an outsider. It's nice to be able to share with others that are as excited about English 3 Speeds as I am. Thanks alot. Robert
Old 11-23-10, 07:05 AM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Master
I notice in the pics that my white cable covers have yellowed some - does anyone have any cleaning tricks to share on how to restore them to white/white? I prefer to keep them original as they are not cracked or damaged. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Robert
One trick I discovered was using Goop hand cleaner worked quite well. You can apply it with your fingers or an old tooth brush, removing the excess with an old cloth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.