Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flat tire good Samaritan question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-24, 12:52 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts

Has anyone ever helped a stranger with a flat tire or other mechanical issue? Please describe your experience.

I don't mean at an event or group ride or something where the expectations might be different - I mean a total stranger.

Obviously, there are cases where you don't worry about it, perhaps because you are in the city riding to work. Other times, you kind of need to, perhaps miles from civilization when no one else is around.

Also, has anyone been offered help by a good Samaritan? What did you say or do?
Old 01-13-24, 01:08 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
I've helped flat tires, broken chains, failed brakes, and backward helmets.

I start with " hey, ya alright? "

If the person is nervous, I keep my hands in view and a comfortable distance.

I look grumpy (chronic RBF) so most are surprised at my willingness to help.
Old 01-13-24, 01:15 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
It is the "Golden Rule" of cycling to help others if welcomed.
I had my butt saved once by a roadie who took pity on me when I managed to damage the valves of my two spare tubes with a faulty pump.
Otherwise, I was in for a long walk.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-13-24, 01:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Sure, I've helped a complete stranger on occasion. Last time was in a gravel race: guy was having an issue with a puncture and had wasted his lone Co2 cartridge. I got one out, we got his tire inflated, and I gave him a spare tube (he'd been carrying only the one -- I had two). I made a new friend that day.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-13-24, 01:28 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I have never had another cyclist stop to see if I was ok when changing a flat. had many fly by without even looking at me. I have had many old rednecks in beat up trucks stop and ask if everything was ok. I prefer rednecks to cyclists.
Old 01-13-24, 01:33 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Eroica Ca, I forget the year.

Mile 60sih come across a guy walking his bike... ask him if he needs help. He has a rear flat . Long story short he's flew out from NY , so this kinda was bucketlist ride for him. On what I think is a borrowed vintage bike and on tubulars. I just happen to have a tire and rim tape ( he was riding with no glue) Fixed him up and he was able to continue.
Old 01-13-24, 01:40 PM
SCbike864

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Stopped for a guy who looked like he was having trouble. Let him throw his bike in the truck and gave him a ride home.
Likes For SCbike864:
Old 01-13-24, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I have never had another cyclist stop to see if I was ok when changing a flat. had many fly by without even looking at me. I have had many old rednecks in beat up trucks stop and ask if everything was ok. I prefer rednecks to cyclists.
In your general neck of the woods, there can be nowhere to take a break other than by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. I could never remember all the times I have done that and been asked if I needed help. If I see a car coming and I’m having a snack, I’ll try to make my reason for stopping visible. Sometimes I’ll give a friendly wave and smile to let them know I’m ok. Chief Joseph Pass is one place that comes to mind where I did that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-13-24, 01:47 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 3,747 Times in 1,841 Posts
Haven't ever helped anyone out on the road, but I have ended up helping stranger's on bikes in my neighborhood. I live in a place where people come to ride. More than once I have seen a group stopped to discover they have some maintenance issue, I always check to see if they have what they need. One time, my offer to help with a flat (pump) was turned down, only to have one of the riders excited to see I was still available when they realized their CO2 did not quite fill the tire, I grabbed a pump and got them sorted. Offered the use of my repair stand to another rider who was having some rear wheel/derailleur issue that was not easily solved, I was a bit late on that one, they had already struggled through most of it asked where I was 20 minutes ago?. A couple of times I have provided hex wrenches for seat adjustments and tightening things that came loose.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 01-13-24, 02:03 PM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
I gave a spare tube that I kept in my bike kit to a biker who had a flat tire and walking along the street with his bike not being able to fix the flat, in the summer of 2021. I have also helped him replace the spare tube, since he was not a frequent bike rider and was not carrying tire levers and bike pump, and helped him get back on the road, free of charge. He did not have cash on him and had only credit cards at that time, but took my cell number and said that he will get back to me either to pay for the spare tube, or take me out for lunch in order to reciprocate.
Old 01-13-24, 02:16 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Many times.

Big group events, sure. But also on the local bike trail. Usually they have no spare, no pump, no tools. I have fixed their flats, pumped up the tire and sent them on their way. Sometimes an offer to pay for my tube, but I don't care about that. Just get the right equipment and someday, stop and help someone else and we are even.
Likes For bblair:
Old 01-13-24, 02:31 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I’ve stopped and helped people, and I’ve had people stop and help me.
Old 01-13-24, 02:45 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Gave a guy with a broken chain a ride back to his car once. I live in area that attracts a lot of cyclists and they park at a school about 3 miles from my house.

I've often been offered assistance by motorists and cyclists but never really needed it. Similarly, while riding I've offered help to other cyclists but they never need it.
Old 01-13-24, 03:00 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Of course! Its part of cycling. Help others, others help you. Its a beautiful thing.

Doesnt have to be a mechanical to help out either. A few years ago I greeted a cyclist as I passed him. I had just started my ride and was fresh. He, I could tell was struggling. We had a brief conversation. He was in over 60 miles for the day and was another 10 miles from home. I said I was going that way and would be glad to pace him for the distance. He sat on my wheel drafting as I set a steady easy pace. If he drifted back I slowed down. He was very appreciative of the support. I was happy to assist.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 01-13-24, 04:08 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Have lent my pump numerous times--occasionally it's something more complicated. e.g., Walking downtown Portland a gal dropped her chain and I offered to help. Doing so I noticed one brake cable wasn't connected correctly and in that town you want ALL the brakes all the time. Killed a few minutes fixing it sans tools. "Thanks, old guy."

One pump loan was to a guy whose tubeless setup had failed badly--goo everywhere and he was mounting his spare tube (smart, that) and out of CO2 (bet that hardly ever happens). Took a surprising amount of time to get going. IDK how he managed the valve swap--that was before I showed up.

ETA awkward moment, not uncommon:
"Hey, you got a pump?"
[Looks at Schrader-valve bike.] "Nope."
[Looks at my pump.] "Hey!"

Most amusing was a guy who'd flatted and while his trailer contained his car battery and electric pump, his connection hose was missing. No, not making that up.

Anyhoo, having been bailed out a few times myself, it's always a good idea to pay it forward. Sad are the times I'm kinda tired and keep riding past someone stopped, only later wondering if I should have inquired. Will also note women can be understandably hinky of offers to help if they're merely taking a break.

Last edited by Rick_D; 01-13-24 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-13-24, 04:56 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
All the time. Just this week a couple tourists had gotten a flat on one of their bikes near my home. They didn’t have a tire pump, so I let them use mine. And other people (usually not other cyclists) have stopped and offered to help when I have been doing some kind of repair alongside the road.
Old 01-13-24, 05:43 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
this is surprising, I always ask a stopped cyclist if he or she is okay, and fully expect the support of random cyclists if I’m having trouble fixing something or have crashed. It’s something you can count on.

note: I don’t carry tools or spares with me, but I always offer help. The offer is very rarely taken. People like the moral support, and it’s the thought that counts. Ever been stranded or hurt and had people ride past you? It sucks.

most memorable time was when I had a tiny bike and asked a guy if he had an Allen to raise the seat, and he said he used to do bike fits professionally and gave me a quick one.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 01-13-24 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-13-24, 05:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Decades ago I patched a guy’s tube in Valley Forge National Park. He had bolt on wheels and no wrench. As I was finishing up, he started hitting on me. NTTAWWT.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-13-24, 05:53 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
He had bolt on wheels and no wrench.
Once I flatted 20 miles from home with that setup and must have asked 50+ people (all cyclists, few cops and trucks) if they had a crescent wrench. It wasn’t until later that I learned some multi tools have a wrench for the common nut.
Old 01-13-24, 06:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I have offered many times but most people wave me off but I have helped people before I cannot remember specific instances but a lot of times if I am stopped or I see a bike I will try and help. It isn't often and sometimes I see something and just go, "yeah no" (in my head) as the bike needs to basically be replaced years ago and there is just too much to do in a short interaction without having a full toolkit and parts.
Old 01-13-24, 07:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
I gave one guy my patch kit who had run out of patches/tubes. I always ask if people need help, since I was an ignoranus once (some might argue to the contrary) and a guy stopped and helped me. I really appreciated not having to walk miles pushing my Varsity. Now when I ask people, they seem glad I made the effort.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-13-24, 07:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
If it looks like person needs help will offer help.

have helped people more than once, a few examples,

teenager with bike that won't pedal....turns out rear wheel loose and rubbing against the frame.
Guy with flat....but my schrader connector did not work, but could point him to a bike shop 1/2 mile away
Guy who fell....ended up doing first aid and called for emt/fire, he ended up going to hospital

at Cino in 2021 gave people 5 tubes

Old 01-13-24, 08:04 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Have fixed a flat or two.
Once a guy with girlfriend had his chain come off and bent the rear d. I offered to break the chain and make it a single speed to get him home. He declined. Don't know what happened.
Old 01-13-24, 08:06 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Decades ago I patched a guy’s tube in Valley Forge National Park. He had bolt on wheels and no wrench. As I was finishing up, he started hitting on me. NTTAWWT.
Was just riding in VF park yesterday and day before. Day before the trail down to the Monte Clare dog park was full of mud.
Old 01-13-24, 08:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Encountered a guy on a road bike walking in the grass alongside the 5 mile bike path yesterday. We slowed to ascertain if he needed help. He had a badly torn tire, needed a boot and tube. We offered to help fix, I carry boot material with me, but he declined the help, stating he was OK to walk the remaining 2 miles to his car. I wasn’t asking twice and rode on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.