Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Keeper Criteria or "How I Avoided Becoming a Bike Hoarder"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 06:53 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

Many of us have quite a few bikes in the stable, I thought it might be interesting to share your keeper criteria.

On the subject of hoarding, to the average person out there, most of us would qualify, certainly anyone with over 3 or 4 bikes. In our N+1 world, hoarding is a MUCH higher number.

Here's my criteria:

1. Daily rider is a keeper, may be a handful of them (grocery getter, climber, go fast bike, tourer)

2. Does it fit (if not, it goes). Keeping bikes that don't fit = you are on your way to hoarder status (I am really close).

3. Is it rare, hard to find? Realize not only do you have to find a particular model, you have to find it in your size.

4. Does it bring a smile to your face every time you ride it? Do you stop and just admire it and snap pictures of it?

5. Is it a sentimental item (say your father's bike?)

Against this criteria, my Cimarron stays as the daily rider, (just have to figure out which one is the best size as I have two of them), my chrome 1986 Katakura Silk and 1987 red and white Prologue (both were really hard for me to find), and my frame school build (sentimental favorite). Everything else is available for a new home.

Nice thing about the Cimarron it covers several criteria: tourer, path rider, grocery getter, and more. When I go on vacation, it invariably is the bike I take.

Recent keepers that left in 2015: Tommasini that was marginal on fit, Colnago Master Lite that fit great but just wasn't being ridden much, and a modern Trek 520.

What's your criteria?
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 05-14-15, 06:59 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Well, Bill, having more than one of a particular model might qualify as hoarding behavior! At one point, I had three Raleigh Internationals. Sure, they were set up somewhat differently, but I felt like the redundancy was pretty absurd. Now I'm back down to one!
Old 05-14-15, 07:07 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
All criteria above apply in my case, but for no. 3. Also, any keeper must have paint in very good condition.

I still have my LeJeune bought when I was 14. Bikes that were unobtainium as a teenager that I have now as keepers include a PX10 and Super Course MKII. I also have a 1996 Trek 850 that I bought new.

I would add the caveat that I also like to keep the bikes that were picked up for a nominal amount of $$$ relative to FMV. By way of example, I have 7 Schwinns from the 1980's.

1981 Super Sport
1981 Voyageur 11.8
1985 Super Le Tour
1987 Tempo
1987 Super Sport
1987 Prelude (2)

Last edited by oddjob2; 05-14-15 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-14-15, 07:09 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here. I don't actively seek out bikes. Vintage bicycles are only one of my many interests.
But I will pick one up now and again if;
It was built during the time frame I'm interested in. Fairly narrow window: 60's to mid 70's.
Is in near minty and original condition. Not interested in repaints or frankenbikes.
Campagnolo Record or Nuovo Record equipped. That's just what interests me. Though I do have a bike with Simplex, Stronglight, etc.
Has to be a "steal". Not having a lot of expendable income helps keep the hoarding impulse at bay.
Room. Or the lack of it. I just don't have a lot of room to be filling up with bikes.
Old 05-14-15, 07:13 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
1) Is there room in the house/shop/garage/yard/truck/storage unit for the bike?
2) is it a bike?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-14-15, 07:14 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
1. Size
2. Collectibility

Everything eventually gets sold.
Old 05-14-15, 07:25 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
My collection just sort of grew over the years without any plan. I'm really bad about selling bikes off especially since most of them are old friends. I still buy bikes from time to time too. One of these days I need to seriously thin the herd out.

If I had to starting choosing which ones to keep, I'd keep the riders (that's around 6 bikes) and anything which is a bit too special to let go (maybe 2 more). As much as I love vintage bikes, I ride bikes that are either modern or have been modernized.

The 6 keepers are 2 commuters (got to have a back up), 3 road bikes (one with fenders for wet days), and a mountain bike converted to gravel riding duty.

I'm still looking for a touring bike though,

Last edited by bikemig; 05-14-15 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-14-15, 07:40 AM
dailycommute

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Down to 4 commuters, one mtb hardtail and fuso and focused very much on riding them all. The fuso was recent and indicative of what would motivate me anymore for buy-ins, my total pleasure (non commute route) ride. Also a zero sum game, so sell down to pay for any incoming. Pretty much over rehab projects these days as that is what led to bikes / parts hoarder-ish behavior. Just threw the last bit of junk parts, rims, etc into recycling last week. Still love a local deal but older, wiser and past the mid life crisis!
Old 05-14-15, 07:52 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
1. Daily rider is a keeper, may be a handful of them (grocery getter, climber, go fast bike, tourer)

All of mine fit under those categories.

2. Does it fit (if not, it goes).

If it doesn't fit, it doesn't get got in the first place.

3. Is it rare, hard to find?

Most are rare. (Most of our C&V bikes are becoming rare by today's standards.) They are all easy to find because my basement isn't that crowded yet.

4. Does it bring a smile to your face every time you ride it? Do you stop and just admire it and snap pictures of it?

Of course.

5. Is it a sentimental item (say your father's bike?)

I'm old enough to be my father when he was my age, so owning a bike that has been mine for a long time counts toward this.

* 6. My wife won't let me sell it.

All of them. (Okay, one was given away as a gift, and she approved of that.)

I don't actively seek out bikes.
More than one of mine has been like the puppy that followed me home so I kept it.
Old 05-14-15, 07:57 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
1. Size
2. Niche/function/ride
3. Weight
4. Age
5. Sentimentality
6. Condition
7. Space/budget

About #2 ... This is pure rationalization. Once I accepted this, I gained some measure of control over my acquisition urge. For example, I feel it satisfying to own a bicycle from the English club era, a bike that goes fast and doesn't work against me while I'm trying to make good time, a bicycle that I can go on a comfortable, long ride on, one I can take on mixed surfaces. As I've experienced different bicycles, this has evolved. A Surly LHT and Miyata 210 logged their share of miles before I determined that they were less than ideal matches for my desires. Also, have let several bicycles go when I've gotten better. I still have itches for a nice Italian steed (late 60's - mid 70's Frejus is on the wish list), and a constructeur-inspired rando bike.

About #5 ... my formative influence was my Uncle's bike shop. His primary line was Raleighs, and my first nice bike was a Super Course. This justifies me having a Team Pro, Professional and (hopefully built up soon) a Competition in the stable. For whatever reason, I have quite an affinity for British bikes - which also has quite a lot to do with having the Hetchins, Viking and Bob Jackson.

Regrets... The J.A. Holland was a very sweet bike, but a little too small. Same with the purple Trek 760 and a highlighter/black Bob Jackson that were also just too small.
Old 05-14-15, 08:09 AM
jmeb

Bikes: 1966 Carlton, 197X MKM, 1983 Trek 620, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1995 DBR Axis Ti, 1999 Waterford, 2016 DBR Release, 2017 Surly Travelers Check

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I try to only buy and keep bikes that fit a niche. Sometimes I create a niche just for a particular bike. I currently have 6 bikes that, in my distorted view, all have a special purpose:

- Decent weather commuter (single-speed Trek 420)
- Crap weather/back-up commuter/grocery getter/gravel tourer (Schwinn High Sierra)
- Mountain bike (Ti Hardtail, DBR Axis Pro)
- Road/Century/Climbing bike (Trek 620)
- Training/flatland bike (3-speed fixed Miyata 912, in progress)
- Sunday cruiser (Raleigh Sports, in need of restoration.)

When I got into bikes (as a grad student) I had very little expendable income. This had made most of my tastes rather low-brow. Now I have a bit of income I can spend more freely my "grail" bikes all appear pretty obtainable: a Centurion Pro Tour (in my size, I used to have one that was too small), Raleigh Super Course (Cotterless version), Cimarron or High Sierra with roller cams, and some sort of retro roadie with mid-level modern Campy. My focus on high-quality but not top-of-the line or collectible bikes resembles my tastes in other things I collect and use--men's footwear and fountain pens. I have no desire to own objects I will be afraid to use.
Old 05-14-15, 08:13 AM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Riding is more fun for me when I can change bikes every couple of days, so I always have 3 or 4 ready to ride. I like my bikes to be very different from each other so the overall experience changes from ride to ride. I tend to choose bikes in poor condition because I enjoy the restoration process and don't care to own things that should be preserved or that are overly valuable. Right now, I have 3 working bikes and 3 more projects. I don't consider it hording. It's just a fun hobby.
Old 05-14-15, 08:37 AM
PaintItCeleste

Bikes: My wife says "Too Many"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the subject of hoarding, to the average person out there, most of us would qualify, certainly anyone with over 3 or 4 bikes.
You know, I had never really even considered the idea of bike hoarding (or at least that I might be a hoarder) until recently, when my wife, my sister-in-law, and her boyfriend all questioned why I have "so many bikes". I have 7 currently. To me, they all serve different purposes and I like to ride them on different days. They have different pedals (some clipless, some platform). Some are all business, some are merely an excuse to tousle the hair on a beautiful day. Some are road, some are for off-road. Some will absolutely stay, some may go. It never occurred to me that I might be a bicycle "hoarder" perhaps because I have seen other people's garages and it gets far worse than 7 bikes for 1 person. Heck, I have posted and read on these forums of people having far more. It's a strange thing, relativity.

Personally, I'm not sure if I ever really considered my criteria for keepers. Ultimately, if it all went away, and I could have only 1 bicycle, I would want a pearly, celeste Bianchi, built with Columbus steel (I have my preferred types, love my TSX), and a solid Campagnolo groupset. For me, this bicycle is the penultimate. I know there are far better rides out there, better bang for the buck, etc. etc. But this is my dream and what I enjoy riding. Beyond that, everything else is just playing!
Old 05-14-15, 08:52 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Money.
Old 05-14-15, 08:57 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Well, Bill, having more than one of a particular model might qualify as hoarding behavior! At one point, I had three Raleigh Internationals. Sure, they were set up somewhat differently, but I felt like the redundancy was pretty absurd. Now I'm back down to one!
Uh Oh am I a hoarder! I think there may be hope since I once had 3 Cannondale ST 400's and am not down to 2 with the second soon to hit the market. I still have 2 Schwinn Voyageurs and can't decide which one to part with.

My criteria - fit, rarity and frame condition, function (partial to touring). I'm at 9 keepers and with the exception of a fat bike that I do not have I've reached my limit on niche functions so anything new will have to be better than one I have.
Old 05-14-15, 09:07 AM
musicdiver

Bikes: '90s Specialized Hardrock, '84 Apollo Club Sport, '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaintItCeleste
You know, I had never really even considered the idea of bike hoarding (or at least that I might be a hoarder) until recently, when my wife, my sister-in-law, and her boyfriend all questioned why I have "so many bikes". I have 7 currently.
Hah, I've been getting looks for having 3. "But you're going to sell one right? Or two?" To be fair, there's only space for one in the apartment storage so the other (nicer) two live at the foot of my bed...
Old 05-14-15, 09:11 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@wrk101 – pretty comprehensive list for me.
I am searching for the ultimate bike in several functional categories. The categories change over time as my eyes are bigger than my ability to execute. At one point I was interested in “off roading” which has evolved into unpaved paths/roads. That is not to be confused with Daily rider, however.
  1. The daily rider to me is the commuter, of which I am still seeking the ultimate.
  2. They all have to fit. I understand I have a range of fits and some are on the edge but because other criteria, I keep them
  3. Rare is a relative term here. My range is between 58 and 61 so, yes it has to be in that range. Rare is more like hard to find. I don’t pick a bike because it is rare but it turns out that what I would like to have is often rare because of demand. There is a $ limit too.
  4. This is a definite requirement! Just look at my Flickr albums. Most of the bikes have 50+ pictures and many exceed 100. Not that all the pictures are gallery level, if any. They serve several purposes. With my memory, it is easier to look them up then wait until I get home, if I even remember!
  5. Not related to my father but to my memories and experiences. I still have the frame and fork of the 1973 Le Champion that a car managed to mangle along with my body. Just can’t get rid of it and the one that replaced it is a bit small but I can make it fit, the Colnogo Superissimo.
  6. This is my addition. I have a bucket list of bikes I would like to own, each needs to be near the top of the line from the manufacturer. In addition, I would like to have period, if not equivalent components on it. Today, they are Italian bikes. That is because I have not expanded the written list. It is expanding because of BF! The age is changing too. I am becoming more interested in older bikes as well as a wider range of functional designs.

Some of the bikes I have may well be offered up for sale for a variety of reasons, mostly those above. I have a couple I really don’t know what to do with but the plan is coming together, or was that the justification document!
I have two Trek’s, a 610 and 760, both are in a state of being made ridable. The 610 was drewed and has replacement braze-on’s plus a few more. It is/was intended to be a sport tourer or commuter.

The 760 was not planned or sought but fell in my lap while cruising through CL. Price was too good and BF threads convinced me I should expand my interest beyond Italian and include US. If I like it, it will stay and be Suntour Superbe Pro equipped.
The Montello was to be a flipper but only one ride made it a keeper.

The Tandem is my neutral ground with my stoker on the subject of bicycles. She like riding it and therefor does not get criticism for being in the garage.
Enough talk, thanks for the break!

7. Spousal limitation - She still doesn't know about one in the storage unit. Exposed 3 in one week. Glad it wasn't spread over a longer period of time. One will go and one is still open as a keeper. The third is for my daughter.
Old 05-14-15, 09:31 AM
lord_athlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Im not sure. All my bikes fit me. Some are redundant. Some are specialized. Some I stare at. Price and Fit are really my only criteria. 55-59cm. 200 or less.

The Raleigh Clubman is one of the best looking bikes ive ever seen. The pinstriping, the box work, paint and decals. Something about it does it for me.

The Fuji The Finest has that plucky early 70's japanese thing going for it. Its good looking, but you can tell, japan was trying their hardest to make a world class bicycle, in a uniquely japanese way. The chrome plated frame with knockoff nervex lugs, the knockoff campy drops, the elaborate seat stay caps that dont quite fit right. The component choice was perfect out of the box though. Suntour Barcons, V-GT Luxe, Sugino Mighty Comp, SR knockoff campy post. Its all super functional and has a certain beauty about it.

The 80 Schwinn Voyageur: Its chrome. Thats all that needs to be said. That and the cool panasonic lugs.

The 74 Voyageur II. Its gorgeous. It has that same pluckyness that the Fuji has, but finished better. I feel Panasonic was making better bicycles at the time. The chrome plated frame with Long point lugs just looks classy, and the Dura Ace components with barcons are world class for the time period.
Old 05-14-15, 10:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Room to park them inside , money and attachment ( will keep my self built Bike frame , though It has had several set up changes since 1976.
Old 05-14-15, 10:54 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Mine will be put to a staunch test tonight when I get home - I just got a phone call that my wife bought a Miyata 1000 at a yard sale. If it fits me I will be in trouble....
Old 05-14-15, 11:04 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Anything i bring in now as a keeper has to be on a list of acceptable targets.

Of course I cheat as rationalizations provide.

I guess what I'm saying is...

"Hello, my name is Aaron, and I have a bicycle problem."
Old 05-14-15, 11:39 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,614 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
What's your criteria?
If it's a nice bike, I keep it. Keeps thing simple.

Old 05-14-15, 11:56 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
Mine will be put to a staunch test tonight when I get home - I just got a phone call that my wife bought a Miyata 1000 at a yard sale.
You have a very, very good wife.

My criteria has slowly, painfully evolved into, "if I'm not riding it, I'm going to sell it." The fact that a DeRosa, a Merckx and a Grandis have made their way into my collection all in the last year has really changed my attitude about what constitutes a keeper.

I've actually started to act on this lately. Peugeot PH10 went out the door this morning; Bianchi Limited left the stable last Friday. I got a guy test riding my Kona Lava Dome as I type this. Future ex-bikes will certainly include my Motobecane Jubile Sport, Raleigh Elkhorn, and possibly the Shogun Prairie Breaker and Nishiki Landau, just because they're all second-best at what they do, next to those other bikes.

If I move enough bikes out, it will justify (in my mind) seeking out and paying for an 853 LeMond (which I absolutely do not need). Of course I've already got one; just the wrong size.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 05-14-15 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 11:57 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Would it be more trouble than it's worth to get rid of it?

Old 05-14-15, 12:13 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
When you have the space and the funds and you really like bikes in general, and you can turn down one in your size that appeals to you for any reason, you pretty much have the impulse under control. I'm mostly there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.