Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-23, 11:32 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
You will save weight with a $14,000 bike because your wallet will be much lighter.
I've never heard that one before! Kudos!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-15-23, 11:55 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
What if speed is irrelevant to the purchaser? Note my signature.
One reason I ride a 27 year old Merlin is that nothing has ever felt so nice to ride.

If a $14,000 bike feels greater than anything else, I can see why you'd want one. (I just don't personally think any of the disc bikes feel very nice.)
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-16-23, 12:12 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
One reason I ride a 27 year old Merlin is that nothing has ever felt so nice to ride.

If a $14,000 bike feels greater than anything else, I can see why you'd want one. (I just don't personally think any of the disc bikes feel very nice.)
My 27 year old Litespeed Classic (is that how old a '96 is) is one of my top two most comfortable bikes. The other one is the 12 year old Felt "Z" CF bike. Both are rim brakes, but that doesn't really have to do with comfort. It's totally fit really and also geometry, angles stay length, etc. I have a "new" titanium gravel bike (Lynskey GR300) which is also very comfortable - again because I buy and build based on fit. It has disc brakes which are fine and caused me to learn some new stuff which isn't bad at my age. I'm even getting used to the aesthetic of them and they've gone from a "why?, they're ugly too" for me to "meh, it doesn't matter, they work fine and look OK".
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-16-23, 08:14 AM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
My 27 year old Litespeed Classic (is that how old a '96 is) is one of my top two most comfortable bikes. The other one is the 12 year old Felt "Z" CF bike. Both are rim brakes, but that doesn't really have to do with comfort. It's totally fit really and also geometry, angles stay length, etc. I have a "new" titanium gravel bike (Lynskey GR300) which is also very comfortable - again because I buy and build based on fit. It has disc brakes which are fine and caused me to learn some new stuff which isn't bad at my age. I'm even getting used to the aesthetic of them and they've gone from a "why?, they're ugly too" for me to "meh, it doesn't matter, they work fine and look OK".
Disc forks have to be stiff enough to not break under under braking loads, so they definitely ride differently than rim brake road forks.
Old 01-16-23, 09:10 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Disc forks have to be stiff enough to not break under under braking loads, so they definitely ride differently than rim brake road forks.
Ride different? In what way? I can't say I've noticed a difference.
Old 01-16-23, 09:40 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
how much extra material is put into disc brake forks when compared to rim brake forks? How much stiffer do they need to be? How is that tested?

I suppose if we're talking steel bikes there must be special disc brake tubing for fork steerers that's thicker and larger. But only on the left side.
Old 01-16-23, 10:29 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I guess a $14000 16lb bike can filter through congested traffic faster than my $200 (1979) 35lb bike.
Old 01-16-23, 10:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
I have this obscure little known device on my handlbars for about the last 30 years that tells time as well as mileage and speed! You can look it up on the internet and find one, I'll bet.
If you'd read further, you'd see I already responded to that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-16-23, 10:47 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
how much extra material is put into disc brake forks when compared to rim brake forks? How much stiffer do they need to be? How is that tested?

I suppose if we're talking steel bikes there must be special disc brake tubing for fork steerers that's thicker and larger. But only on the left side.
On a rim brake bike with road calipers, much of the braking forces are transmitted from the road, passed through the wheel and then to the frame/rider through the fork crown area. The fork crown is already very bulked-up and strong.

On disc brakes, the forces are passed from the road 100% to the end of the fork through the disc, and from there to the frame.

It is for this reason that disc forks have to be stronger and unfortunately heavier. Every disc brake fork I've had through my hands at the shop has been substantially heavier than equivalent non-disc versions. It is for this reason that disc-brake road bikes ride 'dead' and non-compliant. I suppose this is the reason that bikes have gone to larger tires: to compensate for the stiffer frame and fork requirement. But then bigger tires are also heavier.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 01-16-23, 10:51 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I guess a $14000 16lb bike can filter through congested traffic faster than my $200 (1979) 35lb bike.
The $5,000 14lb non-disc road bike from 2018 can ride faster than either.
Old 01-16-23, 10:52 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
You can't wear a phone on your wrist. Duh.
Challenge accepted.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-16-23, 10:54 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
On a rim brake bike with road calipers, much of the braking forces are transmitted from the road, passed through the wheel and then to the frame/rider through the fork crown area. The fork crown is already very bulked-up and strong.

On disc brakes, the forces are passed from the road 100% to the end of the fork through the disc, and from there to the frame.

It is for this reason that disc forks have to be stronger and unfortunately heavier. Every disc brake fork I've had through my hands at the shop has been substantially heavier than equivalent non-disc versions. It is for this reason that disc-brake road bikes ride 'dead' and non-compliant. I suppose this is the reason that bikes have gone to larger tires: to compensate for the stiffer frame and fork requirement. But then bigger tires are also heavier.
Ok, so:

Old 01-16-23, 11:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts

An Aethos fork weighs around 280g. So I don't think fork weight is a big deal on a high-end modern bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-16-23, 11:21 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by PeteHski
An Aethos fork weighs around 280g. So I don't think fork weight is a big deal on a high-end modern bike.
But you gotta admire how he managed to work contempt for larger tires at lower pressure into a screed against better brakes.
Or maybe you don't gotta admire it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-16-23, 11:26 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Every disc brake fork I've had through my hands at the shop has been substantially heavier than equivalent non-disc versions.
How fortunate to have so many forks come through that are identical except for their brake configuration and to have the time to remove and weigh them.

It is for this reason that disc-brake road bikes ride 'dead' and non-compliant.
We need a spit take emoji.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-16-23, 11:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts

Comparing two forks from this page -- forks with the same tire clearance and rake, but one for disc brakes and one for rim brakes -- the weight difference is 40 grams. In other words, under 1.5 ounces. I'd hardly call that "substantially heavier." As to whether it makes the bike's ride feel 'dead,' well, that's not measurable -- and your biases are pretty evident. Not saying you're wrong, just that your judgment is not trustworthy, at least to me.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-16-23, 11:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
280g? Seriously? I'm curious to see how Dave Mayer spins this one.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-16-23, 11:39 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Yep. My disc brake road frame + fork weighs 5 g more than the rim brake version.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-16-23, 11:43 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Koyote
280g? Seriously? I'm curious to see how Dave Mayer spins this one.
I'm sure he will think of something totally out of touch with reality.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-16-23, 12:06 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I know someone who is into bike competitions and trains year round.Puts in thousands of miles during all four seasons even joining other races in Europe.His bike cost him a little over $7000.When I hear the name “Specialized” I now think of Specialized middlemen who don’t build anything out of their own parts but out of other peoples parts.The majority of the bike industry IMHO runs on this business model and just drives the price up just everything else but what do I know.
Old 01-16-23, 12:09 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 7up
I know someone who is into bike competitions and trains year round.Puts in thousands of miles during all four seasons even joining other races in Europe.His bike cost him a little over $7000.When I hear the name “Specialized” I now think of Specialized middlemen who don’t build anything out of their own parts but out of other peoples parts.The majority of the bike industry IMHO runs on this business model and just drives the price up just everything else but what do I know.
Specialized is nothing but a middleman?
Old 01-16-23, 12:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Specialized is nothing but a middleman?
And here I thought the problem was too many proprietary components that you can't replace with aftermarket bits.

Old 01-16-23, 12:22 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by genejockey
And here I thought the problem was too many proprietary components that you can't replace with aftermarket bits.
It's those darned third-party, off-the-shelf proprietary components!
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-16-23, 12:24 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by 7up
??? I don't understand what you mean by this.
Old 01-16-23, 12:25 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
I haven't weighed it, but the rim brake fork on my Seven is probably heavier than that and it's hard to imagine a stiffer fork, except maybe the Slice fork on my CAAD5, which was also rim brake and brutally stiff.
The all steel fork on my Landshark was heavier than either of those two and it was quite compliant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.