Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Latex tubes, Carbon Clinchers and Rim Brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-22, 02:44 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts

I'm thinking about trying out some latex tubes, but have read some info about them blowing if used with carbon wheels and rim brakes due to heat build up from braking, I live in a relatively hilly area. Anyone on here use latex tubes with rim brakes without issues or is this a def no no?

Thanks
Old 08-19-22, 03:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
I would only be concerned if you have really long descents (like several miles). I run them with zero worries, but our hills are typically a mile or less. I did worry a little when I went to ride Whiteface (8 miles at 8%) so swapped out for my aluminum wheels for that ride.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-19-22, 03:37 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
l use latex tubes most of the time. I do not have carbon wheels and live in a flat area, so, cannot comment from experience on those subjects. I think for heat build up to cause tube failure, it takes a fairly long, steep descent with a lot of lengthy, hard braking. I use latex because I find the ride to be enough improved to validate the extra dollars. I can usually find them on sale for less than $14, PBK has some now for 10.99 usd. The first few times you mount them, take your time and use extra care to insure proper installation, pausing to inspect the bead while inflating. Patching is no different than with butyl tubes, IME. They will sometimes stretch to the point it makes it more difficult to situate the tube in the tire/wheel without a bit of folding/wrinkling of the tube, which makes a pinch flat more likely.
I have done the same rough stretch of road, on the same bike and tires/wheels, same pace, with both butyl and latex tubes. IMO, the ride with the latex is considerably smoother, I suspect they might spin up just a bit quicker, but not enough for me to notice or care. I do not get many flats and usually just use another tube while on the road, then do patching at home. I have used Rema and a couple different brands of glue less patches, they have worked well.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 08-19-22, 10:15 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Don't ride the brakes. Both brakes at once hard, cool down and rinse/repeat.
Likes For popeye:
Old 08-19-22, 10:54 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I have been using rim-braking carbon wheels with latex tubes for at least 8 years now, and it is quite mountainous here in the SF Bay Area. I've never had a tube fail due to overheating.

The "don't use latex tubes with rim brakes" warning is overly cautious, in my opinion. Tubular tires, the choice for professional cyclists for decades, use latex tubes.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-19-22, 12:04 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 286 Posts
How about some TPU tubes? Pricey but you drop a lot of rolling weight. I personally like them a lot (have used Pirelli and Tubolito)...

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...bes#conclusion
Old 08-19-22, 04:52 PM
sw20

Thanks all, was concerned as some of the descents where I live are up to 21%, will give the Vittoria latex tubes a try will need to get some valve extenders too as I haven't seen any latex tubes with a 60 or 80mm valve.
Old 08-20-22, 07:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

The "don't use latex tubes with rim brakes" warning is overly cautious, in my opinion. Tubular tires, the choice for professional cyclists for decades, use latex tubes.
But isn't the latex surrounded and buffered 360 degrees by the casing in a tubular, vs in direct contact with the rim material?
Old 08-20-22, 09:36 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
But isn't the latex surrounded and buffered 360 degrees by the casing in a tubular, vs in direct contact with the rim material?
While it's true that a tube inside a tubular tire never touches the rim, a tube inside a clincher barely touches the rim--or possibly not at all. Almost all of the tube is in contact with the tire, and most of the rest is contacting the rim tape/strip. What's left is the gap between the rim tape and the tire, if that even exists.

Also, when the rim transfers heat to the tube, it quickly gets transferred to the air inside the tube, eliminating any hot spots in the tube.

The real world failure mode from friction heating of a tube is the increased pressure of the air in the tube. Enough heating can cause the pressure to exceed the tire's rating.

Last edited by terrymorse; 08-20-22 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-22-22, 07:51 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by sw20
Thanks all, was concerned as some of the descents where I live are up to 21%, will give the Vittoria latex tubes a try will need to get some valve extenders too as I haven't seen any latex tubes with a 60 or 80mm valve.

Michelin makes a latex tube with 60mm valve stems. I have them, and they work fine, but they don't have removable valve cores (so no using them with sealant).

They're a bit smaller in diameter than the Vittorias, but that doesn't seem to affect how they hold up. If anything, it makes them a bit easier to install.

Michelin A1 Aircomp Latex Tube, 700x22/23 60mm valve stem

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-22-22, 08:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Michelin makes a latex tube with 60mm valve stems. I have them, and they work fine, but they don't have removable valve cores (so no using them with sealant).

They're a bit smaller in diameter than the Vittorias, but that doesn't seem to affect how they hold up. If anything, it makes them a bit easier to install.

I use these too. The valve stems are a bit smooth so depending on your pump it might be an issue, but otherwise I am quite happy with them. It seems they are less readily available than other brands.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-22-22, 09:05 AM
sw20

I've got 50mm wheels, do you think the 60mm valve will be long enough?
Old 08-22-22, 09:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Don't worry, you have built in water cooling in the UK

I've used carbon, latex, and rim brakes for around 8 years. Make sure you tape the spoke holes very well and be extra careful when mounting the tire, latex tubes are easier to pinch between the rim and tire but if you do that, the bang is usually immediate. The resin is also an important consideration, probably the most important if using rim braked
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-22-22, 09:36 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Maybe.

I have 32mm wheels, and the tubes with a 40mm stem work okay. But another 5mm would make installing the pump head easier.

Old 08-22-22, 11:19 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
I'd be getting 75-80mm tubes plus some spare. I use these but not latex https://www.bikebling.com/Continenta...i-c1502227.htm

You may have to use valve extenders, which are PITA to use when you have a flat.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-22-22, 12:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Maybe.

I have 32mm wheels, and the tubes with a 40mm stem work okay. But another 5mm would make installing the pump head easier.
I have Reynolds Assaults that are 46mm and the 60mm valves are long enough. The extra few mm you would lose might be a problem but you could try. It may also depend on your pump head, I use the Hirame (best pump head EVER!) with plenty of extra room on it.