Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask Scrod

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 08:15 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bair
stainless steel fork ? Retrogression | Worldwide Track Bike Shop
new item, or did i just not notice it before?
Love this stuff, also the bit about "This dog for sale".

Cheers
Old 01-03-16, 08:24 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Old 01-03-16, 08:55 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by rex615
Love this stuff, also the bit about "This dog for sale".

Cheers
Yeah, that's our neighbor's dog China. She hangs out in the sun outside our shop all day long.

A cool little fact about her is that she once belonged to Megan Fox and was once on the cover of People Magazine (but she's sensitive about her celebrity past).
Old 01-03-16, 08:58 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
thats how you know fox is an awful human. who would give her up?
Old 01-04-16, 09:17 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

The story is that Chad (her new owner) was once married to a girl who was friends with Megan Fox. China apparently killed a pet bird that was given to Megan by Mickey Rourke (this kind of **** can only happen in LA), so China was given to her friend. Then Chad and his wife got divorced, he took China and moved to San Diego, where she lives the life of a normal dog.
Old 01-04-16, 09:38 AM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 12 Posts
Love the new site. You would think with so many tech nerds out there, building a clean/uncluttered website would be expected.

Easy navigation, items really stand out against the white background, no having to dig for information....everything just seems intuitive.

Only thing I would change is the three smaller sections (wheel building/tools/clearance) might be overlooked because they hide below the featured product section. Maybe just keep the smaller frames but move them up with the other sections/above the feature product section. That's all I can think of....top notch though.

You're absolutely killing me using those Suzie Pro Max GOLD hub set as your NOS picture. The Goldfinger Bond song started up in my head. Muuuuuuuuuuuust resist.
Old 01-05-16, 01:44 AM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm on page 1 and page 418. I need to bookmark this place again and make it a regular!

First off, congrats on the new site and the continued success. I just spent half an hour on your site and I'm impressed, you have just about anything someone on this forum would want. I haven't had the time to get on my e-commerce game the way you have (even your early all black website days), and I'm truly envious.

If these are too personal, just ignore. *begins interview*

My first question is in regards to the site and its now massive inventory. Do you really have every item on your site on hand on a day to day basis? I know being in Cali you can probably get most things in 1 day as standard shipping, and you're close to BTI and QBP distribution centers, which has to be great, and could afford you the option of waiting to order something, until an order is placed, but I saw so many things I know are continuously low stock I wondered if you just had a sizable place for storage you used instead? I remember when you were in MA, that some 725 color/size combos would have a disclaimer that they may need to be ordered, I don't see that around anymore

For shipping larger items, bikes, frames, etc. Do you actually unpack these and show them on the floor and then repack them when sold online? It seems like a PITA so try to keep some in the back already boxed by distributors, but that's not always an option with my <1500sq feet. You guys were online before in store so I imagine you guys have packing and boxing down to a science.

Are you using a POS to track inventory? We've been using square from our inception, and the last shop we were at did lightspeed. They seem more or less the same now. I like the data square gives me on the backend so haven't found a reason to mess with anything else. There's an old shop close to us that's inventory system is "make sure more money comes in than goes out" and it works for them. Always curious how other Small business owners handle it.

Ever had the thought to venture into geared bikes in the shop?

What % of the shop would you say is online versus in store?

How do you guys handle after hours security? I see you have a glass door and big windows. We have the same, we had two break ins with bricks through the door. We put (fashionable?) burglar bars (ugh) on the glass after that, but then our door was kicked in multiple times - so now a night doesn't go by where I'm not checking the camera at 3-4-5am it seems. Your door swings out based on the photos so you have that leg up, but is there anything else you've invested in (besides a basic alarm) that's cost efficient?

*ends interview*
Old 01-05-16, 02:03 AM
Regulatori

For stuff like that, shoot him an email from his website, Barbara Walters. I think he's cool with us talking about the site at the moment because of the update but he typically likes to keep the business side out of this thread. This is more for general info stuff.
Old 01-05-16, 02:22 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Pump your brakes, kid. That man is a national treasure.
Old 01-05-16, 03:06 AM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori
For stuff like that, shoot him an email from his website, Barbara Walters. I think he's cool with us talking about the site at the moment because of the update but he typically likes to keep the business side out of this thread. This is more for general info stuff.
Either way, it's here now. If he wants to respond he can do so with a pm, publicly or not at all.
Old 01-05-16, 03:12 AM
Regulatori

Sorry if that came across dickish, not my intention.

Why not delete the post and just send him an email to his shop's email?

My *gut* feeling is you'll at least have a chance getting a reply that way....this way...0%

(This is coming from a guy that can annoy the hell out of him...if he replies to 50% of my idiotic questions, I call it a win).
Old 01-05-16, 08:19 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ agree. Delete the post. Not appropriate questions for a web forum. Period.
Old 01-05-16, 09:07 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I totally dig the questions. As a person that works in analytics/sales, I enjoy reading about successful businesses.

Bike shops seem to be a dying breed, but some stand out and thrive...it's definitely interesting to read/hear about what they're doing to set themselves apart from the rest.

Old 01-05-16, 09:23 AM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's not appropriate to ask Scrod questions in the ask Scrod thread. Huh.

I have a question Scrod. How do you grow a beard thicker than the skin of your cohorts?
Old 01-05-16, 11:12 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by Regulatori
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^ agree. Delete the post. Not appropriate questions for a web forum. Period.
I think they're all valid questions from one shop owner to another but I do agree it's little too involved for a forum.

The shop has come a very long way since we first started and the vast majority of the way we do things was figured out and/or perfected by us, usually through old-fashioned trial and error. Everyone does things differently and I'm sure you can figure out what works best for your shop.

To answer one question, though, there's no reason or need for us to sell anything but track and fixed gear stuff. There are enough shops selling road & mountain bikes already and we've got this **** dialed. Everyone who has set foot in the shop always compliments us for the insane amount of products we keep in stock at all times, so I guess that question is answered too.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 01-05-16 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 11:15 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by Nagrom_
I have a question Scrod. How do you grow a beard thicker than the skin of your cohorts?
By eating the beards of my enemies.
Old 01-05-16, 03:03 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Be careful, you have competition!

Old 01-05-16, 07:10 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
hahaha!!
Old 01-05-16, 07:23 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ask Scrod thread: most serious place on the internet. Not appropriate they say!

I appreciate the response Scrod, and all the people who confused my questions to you as questions to them.

For the record: I wasn't asking him to divulge industry secrets, maybe the 1 day shipping thing was a bit too involved. You can basically talk to any rep that visits regularly and they'll tell you anything you want to know about shops on their stops, some aren't regional either so I've heard stories about RG without ever stepping a foot in San Diego. I do understand it being too involved for a thread like this though.

Either way, trial and error is definitely the best way of learning most things and it's not that I'm looking to copy anything from Scrod, I'm just generally curious as we both operate in the same type of business, in a similar amount of sq footage, just thousands of miles apart. Next time I'm in California I'll have to make time for SD to shoot the **** and check out the shop. I'm happy for you and that you've been able to make just doing the fgss really well a viable business in a place that has sunshine 365 days a year. Livin' the dream!
Old 01-05-16, 07:54 PM
IFPCL

Bikes: 2014 Salsa Colossal 2,1995 IndyFab Independence, 1995 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ham I have a question for you: what is your buddy's back routine? cuz damn

Old 01-06-16, 08:44 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
To answer one question, though, there's no reason or need for us to sell anything but track and fixed gear stuff. There are enough shops selling road & mountain bikes already and we've got this **** dialed. Everyone who has set foot in the shop always compliments us for the insane amount of products we keep in stock at all times, so I guess that question is answered too.
This is so key. SS/FG riders are under-served by the typical bike shop.
Old 01-06-16, 04:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Be careful, you have competition!
They took his beard!
dey terk his berd
derkaderrr
Old 01-07-16, 12:29 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Dear Scrod,

Would you be able to provide any input on how well the new cinelli work frameset handles rust from observations at the shop?

From what I've read up on about the frameset, it was basically designed to rust to give each their unique patina. Painted with a minimal clearcoat protection which doesn't do much in regards to moisture to speed up the process.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-07-16, 08:25 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Dear Scrod,

Would you be able to provide any input on how well the new cinelli work frameset handles rust from observations at the shop?

From what I've read up on about the frameset, it was basically designed to rust to give each their unique patina. Painted with a minimal clearcoat protection which doesn't do much in regards to moisture to speed up the process.
I'm truly excited for 5-10 years from now when people are blasting and powdercoating those frames and putting new Cinelli decals on them. I like to think at least a couple people will come up with some interesting color schemes.
Old 01-07-16, 09:45 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by Leukybear
Dear Scrod,

A friend of mine from back on the East Coast bought one right when they first came out and rides it nearly every day in all kinds of weather without any signs of rust or "patina" yet.

I think Cinelli just put that disclaimer on there because for the same reason lawnmowers come with a giant sticker instructing to keep your hands out of them - because people are dumb. They most likely just don't want to deal with everyone trying to get replacements if their raw steel frames eventually start turning colors.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 01-07-16 at 09:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.