Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Bike Maint Class at REI? Is it worth it?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 08:59 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts

I'm looking at it. But am not sure it's worth $100. Anybody taken it? Opinions?
Old 12-20-11, 09:05 AM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have you looked around in your area for bicycle advocacy organizations or bicycle maintenance co-ops? I have not been impressed at all with the people I have talked with in the bicycle department at the San Francisco REI. I wouldn't go to a class taught by those guys if they paid ME $100.

googling for "phoenix arizona bicycle coop" tells me there are lots of alternatives available to you.

San Francisco, California
Old 12-20-11, 09:12 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes, there is a coop, https://www.rustyspoke.org/, right on my way to work. Within a mile of work. I haven't been over there yet. It looks like they're open mainly on Sundays. Maybe I'll check in on them some Sunday.
Old 12-20-11, 09:18 AM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keep in mind that REI's primary motive is to sell you their overpriced bicycle stuff.

San Francisco, California
Old 12-20-11, 10:00 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
If it's staffed by REI's mechanics, I'd pass. If they are just the sponsors for one of the Park Tool's workshops, it's probably worthwhile.
Old 12-20-11, 11:27 AM
SumoMuffin
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely avoid REI or any other major retailer when it comes to bicycle maintenance, they will most likely be inexperienced and money hungry. I learned most of what I know by reading books on the subject and working on old bikes (flipping). Bike co-ops, or other community bicycle organizations are also a great way to learn. Also as a comparison, there's a local bike shop in my town that does free maintenance and safety classes. $100 is way overpriced, unless you're walking out of there with tools.
Old 12-20-11, 02:40 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
first, I would not pay anyone $100 to teach me about maintenance on a bicycle but I know a little bit about the maintenance already.

If you are trying to maintain your bike, there are good books, online sources and you probably know people that can show you some simple bike maintenance.

It might be worth the money to learn how to repair your bike if you are going on an extensive tour. I say this because you may learn about repairs that are beyond simple maintenance.

I feel the best way to learn about your bike is to strip it down to the bare frame and rebuild it.
Old 12-20-11, 02:45 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
errrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm considering when I do go to the REI bicycle repair shop area, for parts mind you that I check to make sure they have online or by calling in before I even bother going and the shop guy stares at me like I spoke gibberish to him.... and then I have to dumb down what I'm saying to practically real gibberish for him to understand what I want and try to tell me they don't have it, till I explain to him they do and he finally checks the stock on the comp... don't get me wrong I'm sure these guys are quite knowledgeable about specifically newer road bikes they sell.. but that maintenance class wouldn't help me I don't think.
Old 12-20-11, 03:09 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I learned all I need to know from Bicycling Magazines repair manual. Zinns or Park Tools books are good too. They run from $18.00 to $24.00. There are several online resources for any particular task. Buy one book and use the rest of the $100.00 to start your tool kit. bk
Old 12-20-11, 03:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
The mostly younger guys who work at REI are pretty knowledgeable, as
stated above, on the newer stuff with which they are familiar and that
REI sells....thus need for warranty and maintenance repairs.

Depending on what you ride, what you feel comfortable doing, and
who teaches it.......as well as the length of the class (only so much
you can cover in a class that lasts four hours, or even a day), it
might be worth a hundred bucks, but seems dubious.

We teach stuff like this at the coop for five buck donation all the
time, and if you really want to learn "comprehensive" skills, it's
gonna take some time and effort on your part that cannot be
magically conveyed in a short class.

You need to get in there and **** up some ****.
Old 12-21-11, 09:41 AM
Chop61

Bikes: Pinarello Road, Surly LHT, Dolan Track, Fuji Supreme, Guru Ti Tri, Bamboo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it a comprehensive course or one of their clinics? Not worth it if it's the old, "Fix a flat and turn the barrel adjuster on your derailler " Performance Bicycle offers those for free. Find out what they're covering, if it's hands on, and then decide if you're someone who wants to be shown how to do something to get over the hump, or if you're good at following written instructions with illustrations.
Old 12-21-11, 09:53 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Depends on your level of knowledge/experience. As a complete newbie, might be worth it. the REI near me has a really nice shop, and the mechanics are fairly knowledgeable.

+1 I learned via the school of hard knocks, picking up neglected bikes, fixing them up, finding them a new home, and repeating. Made a lot of mistakes along the way. $100 to gain basic knowledge (if you need it). I would need to see an outline of what is covered.

+1 I like the co-op idea better, if you have one local. Take a bike with you, along with parts and so on, and get some hands on assistance. Make a donation when you are done.

Now a bike class taught by a master mechanic, on a single topic, I would be interested. Example: a wheel building class. While I have built several wheels, I would benefit from some in person schooling in that area.
Old 12-21-11, 10:05 AM
dbruening80

Bikes: '11 Bianchi Infinito 1986 Trek 400 Elance

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
I learned all I need to know from Bicycling Magazines repair manual. Zinns or Park Tools books are good too. They run from $18.00 to $24.00. There are several online resources for any particular task. Buy one book and use the rest of the $100.00 to start your tool kit. bk
+1

There is also nothing wrong with asking your local LBS "How do I (fill in the blank)" if you have a particular question.
Old 12-21-11, 12:55 PM
DirtRoadRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a class. As suggested above, spend some money on a couple of good books and learn how to repair your bike yourself. It isn't that hard - really. Many very capable people look at bicycle mechanics as rocket science but it isn't. If the guy covered with piercings and tatoos at your LBS can fix your bike, you can too.

I learned myself that way. Actually I haven't even used my books that much (Zinn's Road Bike book and another by Bicycling). I've just used the manufacturer's guidelines for my components, which offer detailed step-by-step instructions. I tore my CAAD9 down to the bare frame for maintenance a few months ago and reassembled it too. It wasn't hard at all.