Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Ever Installed Bar Ends On Their Bar Ends?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has Anyone Ever Installed Bar Ends On Their Bar Ends?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-22, 08:27 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
8-pointer! What a magnificent creature.
LOL! you beat me to it !
I wonder if he's been shot at in open season?
cyclists are the best... for good humor !
Laugh On ! (or maybe 'laugh in' ?)
Yuri
Old 02-15-22, 08:35 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Heck, they should go all in and get some "ape hangers"

If the 'bike' the OP posted said Harley-Davidson on the side I probably would have suggested those bars ^^^.
Old 02-15-22, 09:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
As a lifetime roadie, I'm not convinced many people really "need" super tall bars. However, I have seen a few.

Originally Posted by himespau
Heck, they should go all in and get some "ape hangers"

I was going to suggest something like that. But, probably something like a BMX bar would work better, if one could get the right handlebar stem.

One could get the brakes put in the right place. One would have a good grip. Etc.

Of course, many BMX bars would be smaller in diameter than at least road bars, so installation may not be simple.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-16-22, 02:36 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yo dawg!
I heard you like bar ends.....
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 02-16-22, 02:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-16-22, 07:28 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
As a lifetime roadie, I'm not convinced many people really "need" super tall bars. However, I have seen a few.
For a given body angle, the optimal hand position will put the line from shoulder to hand about parallel to the line from hip joint to pedal in the pedal forward position. This allows the grip force to oppose the pedal force, which will tend to lift you off the seat. If you sometimes pedal hard (greater than your body weight), this matters.

If you don’t want to pedal that hard, you can get away with higher bars, but there isn’t much benefit to rotating the arms up and farther forward versus lower and closer.

Otto
Old 02-16-22, 07:54 AM
Straightbangin

Bikes: Liv Alight 2, Kent Ridgeline, Huffy Cranbrook, Schwinn Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if you are trying to take the weight off your hands, there are safer ways to do it.

There are a lot of bad habits that can lead to pain in your hands, including gripping the bar too tightly, and positioning your hands so they are cocked back at an angle, impinging on the nerves and ligaments where they run through the carpel spaces in your wrists. The suggestion that you might need someone who knows about this stuff, to look at your positioning and fit on the bicycle has merit.

Sometimes, the answer can be a simple as changing your saddle tilt to take weight off your hands, and get a more neutral body position. But it you're happy with what you've achieved in that photo, party on.

Thank you, I tried everything. I barely touched the regular grips and if they touch bottom part of my hand at all I get severe numbness in my hand. I have dealt with professional cyclists and bike shops in my community to make sure I'm grouping everything properly and they stayed that I am. I'm hey certified personal trainer so I am very picky about proper ways of exercising and body movement / alignment. They all suggested I see a doctor which I'm going to do. It's better that I wrap the tops of my fingers around the top bar or have my hand sideways in the middle area. Just made this post to see if anyone else out there has seen it or done it . Its working for me for now and enable me to bike while I work on getting this nerve situation solved. Thank you all for your input and sharing those photos

Last edited by Straightbangin; 02-16-22 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-16-22, 07:55 AM
Straightbangin

Bikes: Liv Alight 2, Kent Ridgeline, Huffy Cranbrook, Schwinn Sidewinder

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Wowwwwww
Old 02-16-22, 08:02 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
You'll poke your eye out.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 02-16-22, 12:25 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I'm hesitant to use my advanced diagnostic skillset in an online environment, but the symptoms you describe are one possible manifestation of carpal tunnel syndrome.

There are some nerve studies they can do, to further narrow down your particular issue. But apart from modification of your current activities and maybe a couple of steroid injections to see if relieving any swelling due to inflammation, coupled with rest, will resolve the issue, the only corrective treatment of which I'm aware is a surgery, where they do some slicing and make a little more room in the narrow passageway in your wrist where all this stuff slips through.

I'm only aware of this because I had the surgical repair. Which worked in my case, but does not have the sort of 100% success rate you'd like, when you sign the consent forms.
Old 02-16-22, 01:49 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
...I'm hesitant to use my advanced diagnostic skillset in an online environment, but the symptoms you describe are one possible manifestation of carpal tunnel syndrome.

There are some nerve studies they can do, to further narrow down your particular issue. But apart from modification of your current activities and maybe a couple of steroid injections to see if relieving any swelling due to inflammation, coupled with rest, will resolve the issue, the only corrective treatment of which I'm aware is a surgery, where they do some slicing and make a little more room in the narrow passageway in your wrist where all this stuff slips through.

I'm only aware of this because I had the surgical repair. Which worked in my case, but does not have the sort of 100% success rate you'd like, when you sign the consent forms.
Hey, if you hadn't said anything I could have kept my big mouth shut! Description isn't great, but it sounds more like an ulnar neuropathy, as the vast majority of such problems in cyclists are.
Old 02-16-22, 02:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Hey, if you hadn't said anything I could have kept my big mouth shut! Description isn't great, but it sounds more like an ulnar neuropathy, as the vast majority of such problems in cyclists are.

....oh sure. Use your big fancy words, Mr. Real Physician. This is the INTERNET !!! We are all equals on the internet. Just some of us are more equal than others. Fortunately, I have a George Foreman blanket home warranty policy, that covers liability for all my internet misdiagnoses.

Not My Problem ...
Old 02-16-22, 03:41 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
....oh sure. Use your big fancy words, Mr. Real Physician. This is the INTERNET !!! We are all equals on the internet. Just some of us are more equal than others. Fortunately, I have a George Foreman blanket home warranty policy, that covers liability for all my internet misdiagnoses.

Not My Problem ...
I just HAPPEN to have had mononeuropathies beaten into my tiny head, but I'm man enough to go information-free when the situation demands!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-16-22, 10:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Looks like a future Darwin Award winner.

Old 02-18-22, 02:59 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Pull on the handlebars. Do not reduce weight on the grips. Eliminate weight on the grips. Pull. Opens up space in the hand joints. Opens up space around the nerve.

Pull all the way to the neurologists office.

Never ride as baggage. Do not ride passively. Pull on the bars. Be active on the bike. Pulling may not be possible every moment of every ride. Riding actively is always possible. Parking passively on the bike will always cause problems.

Straight bars as used on most MTB exaggerate impact.The shape is intended to help keep you attached to the bike while dropping off boulders. If your riding does not include dropping off boulders do not use MTB bars. Look up North Roads handlebars. Look at the wrist position with North Roads bars. Think about how basic and logical it is to pull on the grips with normal handlebars. Wrists in same plane as when walking. Or when using many many tools, handling daily objects, etc.

Bike problems are not solved by buying more stuff. Running to the fitter for every imaginable issue is just a tactic for reducing weight of your wallet.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 02-22-22, 08:17 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
If you find yourself hardly using the handlebar and always find more comfort in the bar ends, it may be a good time to change the bike.

It's the reason why most commuting bikes have riser handlebars and adjustable stems that lift it even higher.

Then you can get away with just one decent set of bar ends.

Unless a bar end is properly made, cheaper ones can separate from fatigue and use.

You can get some very tall bikes with very low frames.
Old 02-24-22, 11:03 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I saw this one in Raleigh many years ago.

The guy was pulling a huge trailer with a spare bike mounted on top of it.
Old 02-26-22, 12:38 AM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Better to treat the underlying condition. In my experience, hand numbness led to arm numbness led to arm weakness. EMG studies revealed a pinched nerve between C1andC2. Neurologist pushed for a neurosurgery, which I resisted and asked for a referral to PT. PT exercises to improve my posture relieved the pressure on the nerve and numbness has disappeared. Please see your doc and have it checked out. The monkey bars are a bandaid at best.
Old 03-01-22, 05:06 PM
rourkefan

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If machamp rode a bike