Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding alone all the time.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding alone all the time.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 04:02 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Close group riding and solo riding are two very different experiences. Almost to the point of being different sports.

Not only do I do casual rides solo, I've ridden a ton of randonneuring miles solo. I'll regularly ride a 200k solo, and even on longer brevets up to 1200k, with plenty of people to ride with, I might ride solo for over half. I have friends, OTOH, who won't voluntarily ride a single mile solo; they'll pull over and wait for the next group, if they get dropped.

At the same time, some of my most fun and memorable experiences have been Fleche rides - that's 24 hours riding together with a 5-bike team. That might be multiple hours of fairly close drafting into a headwind, hours of slightly spaced riding, and hours of loosely clustered chatty riding.

I did a 1000k ride last year, and rode roughly 1/3 the distance solo, 1/3 the distance in a group of 5-8, and 1/3 the distance with one other rider. Those were very different miles, and I enjoyed them all.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-16-23, 05:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,056 Times in 4,482 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Reminds me of a scene from "Heartbreak Ridge"
About the tee shirts?
Likes For big john:
Old 06-16-23, 06:37 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Now that I've retired from racing, I have no reason to ride in a group for training. Occasionally, I'll go on a short ride with my neighbor, mostly to socialize, but basically I just ride alone. I don't want to chit chat when I'm riding, I just want to ride. Just me, the bike and nature.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-16-23, 07:35 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I almost always ride solo. I can go when I'm ready, rather than meet a schedule.
Likes For Random11:
Old 06-17-23, 05:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Another solo ride out @ 12:51AM under a cloudy sky for 25.52 miles with temperature feeling like 91℉ thanks to actual air temp of 83℉ with 83% humidity.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9280250028
Old 06-17-23, 05:55 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
As a former runner I always ran alone. Would drive into Boston every weekday and run before work, always alone and truth be told, I loved the alone time since the remaining day was filled with anything but. That was long ago and I have only been riding since the pandemic. Like many here I am an early riser and love to ride in the morning. I have been retired now for seven years so I don’t have a schedule and most of my rides are mid morning and almost always alone. I do like the time without distractions and just enjoy the ride, easy to stay present. Back in the day I would train for road races, hill work or intervals but now I’m just grateful to enjoy the ride.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 06-17-23, 07:38 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Another solo ride out @ 12:51AM under a cloudy sky for 25.52 miles with temperature feeling like 91℉ thanks to actual air temp of 83℉ with 83% humidity.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9280250028
Yeah, here in Tallahassee I got out at 5 AM this morning and according to my little weather station it was 73 F, 92% humidity, and "feels like" 81 F. The "feels like" went up pretty fast after I got home, but it was nice enough while out riding at that time. I wouldn't mind a little cooler, but that is about the best I can hope for here this time of year. Since I am an early riser by nature it works out pretty well.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-17-23, 08:18 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I've looked into group rides in my area but they are 10+ miles away and I no longer drive to ride.
I also have morning responsibilities that prevent me from being at a group ride for the standard 0800 start times.
So, all my rides now are solo and that works for me.

Not to be too picky, but I have reviewed the routes of my local groups and I can do better right outside my garage door.
Why travel to ride lousy routes?
Old 06-17-23, 10:07 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Not to be too picky, but I have reviewed the routes of my local groups and I can do better right outside my garage door.
Why travel to ride lousy routes?
It could be worth it if you want to ride with others, but otherwise no. You always have the option of joining one of those rides once in a while if you change your mind.

Me, I have the deer, rabbits, raccoons, bobcats, birds, and so on to keep me company on my trail rides. I think if I were more into road riding again, I'd do group rides once in a while.
Old 06-17-23, 10:59 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
So the moral of the story is this works and I am ok with it. Anyone else find the group rides are not really necessary and prefer the lone ranger approach?
That's essentially how I've done it since back in my running days. Always have been an early riser, and almost nobody that I know likes heading out in the hour or two prior to sunrise. These days, I'm typically working out by 5am, though I'm occasionally cycling by then. Back in the day, I often did 7-10mi runs at that time of day, to both avoid the traffic and enjoy the nicer temperatures.

I don't mind riding with a couple of others. But as I don't have the leg power (due to old injuries) to scoot along at a brisk pace, I'm okay with groups/packs heading off at their own lofty pace and leaving me to trudge along. Would like company, now and then, but I'm okay with avoiding the messy arrogance that can come with certain kitted-out "racer" types who imagine any group ride is a peloton to the finish line. Being a geezer, these days, that ain't my thing. I'm good okay with that.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 06-17-23, 12:22 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts

I ride with Traffic --- so, there's usually Molly, Freddy Frolic, Aunty Franny & Uncle Lou.
We were children once, playing with toys....

.....in my ears....

sometimes I ride with early Allmans to jam&cruise or ZZ for a good cadence.
Pink Floyd for a flying

Clear your handlebars and your mind may follow

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-17-23 at 12:32 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 06-17-23, 01:05 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
No problem riding alone but enjoy being out with the friends. What I do enjoy about riding alone is not having time constraints.
Old 06-17-23, 02:05 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I ride solo out of necessity, there's no one else to ride with. There was a small group of 3-4 that would get together on Sat morning during warm months but its lost its legs ,pun intended. A shame because riding with others makes me better and its fun. Now I tend to ride inside a lot and go out on the roads only on nice days. A little rain, some clouds or too much wind and I'm in the barn cycling. 20-40 miles on Rouvy trying to stay ahead of someone or catch up to others is a better workout for me and I get to do it most anywhere in the world. I'm kinda/sorta riding with others,just don't know who they are. Probably just one more phase I'm going through but who knows.
Likes For Champlaincycler:
Old 06-21-23, 09:03 AM
fixitsteve

Bikes: 1974 Concord DeLuxe 10 speed road bike (Kuwahara), Specialized Crossroad Hybrid

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I usually ride alone. I'm retired so follow my schedule. Up the driveway, up the street till I get on top of all the hills. Casually ride around for a while, then back down into the valley home. Sometimes I hook up with my nephew and we ride on one of the local bike trails. Never have ridden on a group ride. Sounds to complicated.
Old 06-21-23, 11:45 AM
Long deKlein

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek 5500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty much always been a solo rider, other than a few rides with my junior high basketball coach (jeez, 50+ years ago--yikes!), also a dedicated cyclist who got me into road biking. This is my favorite time of year, the long days mean I can get out first thing in the AM, before there's wind and traffic. (I don't ride in the dark or the rain anymore.)
Old 06-21-23, 01:45 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I do occasionally join social rides such as critical mass, local taco ride or brewery tour ride.
But I do not do any fast pace group rides. I don't even have a road bike. Never had one and don't intend to get one. I try to live as car free as possible and my bikes are primarily transportation vehicles.

I mostly ride alone because:
- I commute to work and often extend the trips to and from work. No fixed schedule. No ahead planning. Hard to fit in someone else.
- I try to stick to paved trails or neighborhood roads and the trails are not suited for group rides. Too narrow and curvy to ride with a larger faster group.
- Most of my rides lead to a destination. Work, grocery store, restaurant, brewery, bike store, home improvement store, doctors office, ... I plan my tours based on destination. Often with a scenic "detour" to get some extra miles. Meaning I don't really ride just just for the purpose of riding.
- I often do photo stops along my routes. That does not really work with group rides either.
- This is my "Me-time" during the day.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 06-22-23, 05:22 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
I'm a loner by nature. I enjoy quiet, time in my own head, being on my own schedule. I'm a manager at work - people people people all day, I have a house full of kids and dogs... the bike gives me a chance to check out and think...

I get off work at 3:00 and hit the trail on the way home, then go home and have dinner with the family. The local group rides typically don't start until after I am finished my ride... right in the peak of rush hour, and I wouldn't get home until after 8:00 at night.

And I like to pick and choose when/where I ride. I only ride the roads when traffic is minimal. Very early weekend mornings, or pre rush hour. The group rides hit the local roads smack in the middle of rush hour.

And finding the group with the right pace is difficult. Our B groups are no drop rides, and many times C riders show up and the pace drops to a crawl. Our A group has a listed speed range - but no limit. We will get 300+w monsters show up and flat blow the paceline up.
Old 06-22-23, 06:13 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Riding when you want, where you want, at the pace you want, stopping for a drink, energy bar, viewing scenery, etc. when you want, not needing to put up with waiting for other riders to arrive or last minute cancellations or sign ups. What's not to like!? Do enjoy riding with others (sometimes), but find solo to be more "convenient".
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-22-23, 07:22 AM
staehpj1

I will add that I don't miss having someone to ride with for trail riding, but on the road it is nice to ride with someone with a similar pace to share drafting. Barring that someone a little stronger or weaker and the stronger rider leading and the weaker drafting. Even on tours I find that drafting is the order of the day when riding with a partner or group. Not a big deal since my road bike is pretty dusty. Hills make different abilities harder to equalize and may require the stronger climber to wait on the weaker. Especially at my age I am likely to be the weaker climber since I'd be likely to be with much younger companions. I still hold my own on rolling stuff, but the long climbs never really were my strong point so at 72 the youger riders can really kick my butt.
Old 06-22-23, 09:10 AM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 47 Posts
I ride alone 100% of the time. I do talk to other riders during a break at the park or a short period on a bike trial.
Old 06-22-23, 09:58 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
In my 30's & 40"s, my rides almost always involved fast group rides. It resulted in high mph averages!
I found the speed exhilarating. Plus, condensing mileage in shorter timeframes worked with my busy schedule.
When I began solo commuting 24 miles to work a few times a week, it blended my cycling nicely and enjoyed both modes.
Upon retiring a few years back, my group rides dwindled almost weekly. Every ride over the past six months is now solo.
Like others, it works great to go out when it suits me. Planning a hilly sucker this morning, right after I hit the 'post' button!
Old 06-22-23, 11:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
I used to enjoy group rides more. In my club, the art of riding in a group is often lost, at least on faster rides. Too many people ride at paces that suit them instead of sticking with the group.

When on tour, I much prefer to hit the road alone for up to two weeks. It's my escape from constant interaction with people. BITD I spent 3 months riding across the U.S> with 12 strangers. I would never do that again. At the end of the tour, I was so happy to get away from them and ride home solo.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-23, 04:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
I mostly ride alone, but I do actually enjoy group rides more. The trouble is that our local group rides are always ridiculously early in the morning. I prefer riding after a leisurely breakfast or later in the day.
Old 06-23-23, 04:30 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I don't mind a group ride if they riders know what they are doing and don't start with their politics but both conditions are quite rare. Most of my riding has a purpose that is inconsistent with a group ride, so, group rides are a handful a year for me.
Old 06-23-23, 06:12 AM
staehpj1

I'll just add that one of the reasons I went back to trail riding as my daily exercise was that my dog, who was the best trail buddy ever, got too old to run, even with a broken down old guy like me. Trail running with a good dog was a perfect fit for me. Daily trail riding alone is a reasonable substitute, but, I'd give it up in a heartbeat if I could have my old pooch running with me.
Likes For staehpj1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.