Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Myths We Wish Would Die

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Myths We Wish Would Die

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-23, 09:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...should be pretty easily refuted then. Take your shot. I promise I'll read it and apologize if I'm wrong, on how those two simple lines, diverging, are a good (if simplified) illustration of how the differences applied to weight wheel and frame become more obvious as the quantities increase. Cross my heart.

Alternatively, you can toss out another one liner, which seems to be your forte. Those are good too.
It's a meaningless statement, completely devoid of any physics content -- there's nothing to refute.
Old 02-21-23, 09:51 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The analogy is small quantities can be ignored in certain situations, and they have limits. When you exceed those limits, then the results of your calculations might very well be in error, even if you think you have the math right.

Is that wrong ?
The use of limits in Calculus allows for elegant solutions which exactly bypass approximation errors. The people you're arguing with are just saying that certain things can usually be ignored in practice because they're of low magnitude and applicability. These are very different things.
Old 02-21-23, 09:56 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's a meaningless statement, completely devoid of any physics content -- there's nothing to refute.
...congratulations. You have been telling yourself for so long that differences in static versus rotational acceleration are zero, that you now believe weight (mass) has nothing to do with physics. That, sir, is no small accomplishment. Tell me please, are you perchance another engineer ?
Old 02-21-23, 10:01 PM
tomato coupe

...congratulations. You have been telling yourself for so long that differences in static versus rotational acceleration are zero, that you now believe weight (mass) has nothing to do with physics. That, sir, is no small accomplishment. Tell me please, are you perchance another engineer ?
No, I'm a florist.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-21-23, 10:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Obviously. Was using a grinder today with a small wheel. You could certainly feel the effect at the handle. Well, maybe not everybody.
ok
Old 02-21-23, 10:15 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Let me finish that sentence for you ...

It's also interesting to note that all of the so-called experts all readily admit that saving weight at the wheels results in better acceleration, followed up quickly by "but it doesn't matter because ... it's a really, really small effect."
The degree to which that is true is completely dependent on the amount of mass you're talking about. A really really small amount of mass will yield a really, really small difference. A really, really large amount of mass will produce a really, really large change.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 02-21-23 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-21-23, 10:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by HTupolev
The use of limits in Calculus allows for elegant solutions which exactly bypass approximation errors. The people you're arguing with are just saying that certain things can usually be ignored in practice because they're of low magnitude and applicability. These are very different things.
...why ? As a passing example of why small quantities can be ignored, why are these things "very different" ? I genuinely do not understand what you are saying, other than that elegant solutions are elegant, because the quantities ignored are smaller. Again, my purpose was not to use limits (or even calculus) as a solution to this wheels weight versus frame weight problem. It was as an example of how we got to calculus in the first place...by equating smaller and smaller differences in rates of change to zero.

Have I simply misunderstood this idea my entire life ? Without this concept, how can calculus hope to bypass approximation errors ? Like everyone else in this thread, I'm here to learn.
Old 02-21-23, 10:18 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

No, I'm a florist.

...I can see why you're so angry all the time. The customer demands in that business must be brutal.
Old 02-21-23, 10:21 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...should be pretty easily refuted then. Take your shot. I promise I'll read it and apologize if I'm wrong, on how those two simple lines, diverging, are a good (if simplified) illustration of how the differences applied to weight wheel and frame become more obvious as the quantities increase. Cross my heart.
Old 02-21-23, 10:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...well, it's been real, and it's been fun. But I have to go now. Please continue working toward solutions to all the terrible bicycle myths that make our lives a living hell. The world will thank you.
Old 02-21-23, 10:39 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
The degree to which that is true is completely dependent on the amount of weight you're talking about.
It applies to any weight difference that is likely to be encountered with ordinary bicycle wheels.
A really really small amount of weight will yield a really, really small difference. A really, really large amount of weight will produce a really, really large change.
Sure, a really large weight will produce a really big change. But, again, the effect is small for any weight difference that you'd encounter with a real bicycle.

You've stated that this is all basic physics. Why don't you put some of your physics knowledge on display and calculate some numbers for us? You can start with something simple: pick two wheel sets and calculate how many extra watts are required to bring the heavier set up to speed when accelerating from a full stop.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-21-23, 10:44 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Why do you think this is a myth?
Because bad driving is dangerous. Remove cyclists from the road and pedestrians still get killed as well as other drivers. Eliminate bad drivers and everybody is safe.

If there are records kept for cyclist self injuries or self collision stats, they'd be insignificant. But for cars? It's not uncommon on Friday or Saturday nights, someone somewhere gets into a single car collision.

So if someone thinks cycling is dangerous, better to look at driving instead.

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-21-23 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-21-23, 11:23 PM
tomato coupe

This seems like a good place to re-post a link

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com...n-cycling-myth

(go to 18:00 if you want to skip to the summary)

and insert this quote from another thread:

Originally Posted by RChung
Back in 2011 I worked a little bit on modeling the team pursuit in prep for the 2012 Olympics. (For oddball reasons we worked with the American and Canadian women's pursuit teams). One of the tricky things is that in team pursuit there are pretty wild swings in power (and thus acceleration) as you rotate both through the team and also around the velodrome. Wheel speed actually rises and falls more than center of mass speed since in the turns the bikes lean over so the wheels take a longer path than the rider, and the center of mass drops and then rises as you come out of the turn and onto the straights.

So we knew the geometry of the track and how much each rider would lean at what speed in each turn--and, we knew the wheel weight, and had figured out "where" in the wheel the "mass centroid" was so we could calculate the moment of inertia. We did this because this was one of the first times we were trying to get good high quality high precision estimates of CdA and Crr from field-based tests using power meters. Our model was very good, so once we had proper estimates of CdA and Crr, and using the carefully calibrated power meters, we could absolutely *nail* the speed for power for a rider both on the straight and on the turns. I was agog that my calculations worked so well--I hadn't actually expected that.

Here's the thing: although we had the moment of inertia for the wheels, it quickly became evident that the MOI was a small enough contribution that we could simplify the model and ignore it. Even though the speeds and accelerations were high, our predictions of speed for power didn't significantly depend on it at all.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 02-21-23 at 11:33 PM.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-22-23, 12:02 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
As a passing example of why small quantities can be ignored, why are these things "very different" ?
Fundamental derivations of differentiation and integration through the use of limits are not examples of why you can ignore small error. They literally eliminate the error in question entirely; that the slope of f(x)=x^2 with respect to x is 2x is a provably exact answer.

The stuff about rotational inertia is pointing to the low magnitude and applicability of something and saying "yeah, we can ignore this in practice because it's miniscule compared with other factors."

These are wildly dissimilar arguments.
Old 02-22-23, 12:44 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Because bad driving is dangerous. Remove cyclists from the road and pedestrians still get killed as well as other drivers. Eliminate bad drivers and everybody is safe.

If there are records kept for cyclist self injuries or self collision stats, they'd be insignificant. But for cars? It's not uncommon on Friday or Saturday nights, someone somewhere gets into a single car collision.

So if someone thinks cycling is dangerous, better to look at driving instead.
You might want to check the statistics. Roughly a third of bicyclist deaths do not involve a motor vehicle.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-22-23, 01:19 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
there is always pilot error/sheer heart attack/aneurysm/et al while riding but how many cyclist deaths/life-changing collisions/avoidances are due to automobiles and their proximal influence?
Old 02-22-23, 04:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,859 Times in 3,006 Posts
...well, it's been real, and it's been fun. But I have to go now. Please continue working toward solutions to all the terrible bicycle myths that make our lives a living hell. The world will thank you.
Yeah, thanks for polluting the thread with trolling nonsense again. Jeff Neese gave you a like though. You should be proud.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-22-23, 04:16 AM
PeteHski

The degree to which that is true is completely dependent on the amount of mass you're talking about. A really really small amount of mass will yield a really, really small difference. A really, really large amount of mass will produce a really, really large change.
So what you need to do are some calculations with actual numbers. That's what engineers do for a living. I can't imagine what you do for a living, but I'm confident it isn't that.

Last edited by PeteHski; 02-22-23 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-22-23, 04:24 AM
PeteHski

It's also interesting to note that all of the so-called experts all readily admit that saving weight at the wheels results in better acceleration, followed up quickly by "but it doesn't matter because......"
Right, so experts are downgraded to "so-called experts" because you, with your vague knowledge of college physics, don't agree with their calculations and conclusions? Maybe the "so-called experts" messed up their modelling? Maybe they just put in the wrong numbers?

So maybe you should review their work and publish an article for peer review explaining why the experts are wrong here. If you are right, then your work should become a new benchmark.

Last edited by PeteHski; 02-22-23 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-22-23, 05:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I do hope you manage to clear out your lungs. I got Covid back in December, and it took me at least a month after I recovered to finally clean out all the snot and mucus.
Thanks .... yeah, this is my life ... cough and choke ... and thanks for not taking all this personally. I don't know you but I have nothing against you no matter how much we disagree .... thanks for reminding me.
Old 02-22-23, 05:07 AM
PeteHski

...this one consists primarily of argument from authority. I genuinely it when engineers pretend to be physicists. It makes me smile.

Engineers are practical users of physics. If using physics is pretending to be a physicist then I guess I'm guilty.
Old 02-22-23, 05:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
By the way .... it has been a while since I did any research, and it is spotty because of HIPPA laws and such, but as far as I can tell the majority of the thousand (or slightly fewer) cyclists who die each year fall into at least one of these classes----substance-abuse impaired, no lights at night, dark clothing at night, riding the wrong way. As I recall, alcohol was the most common factor.

Drunk guys in black hoodies doing the ninja salmon and getting run down when they flash off the sidewalk right in front of someone pulling out of a driveway is not a "risk factor' which in any way applies to me.

I have found in fact, that over the past three or so decades, drivers have become much more polite and cooperative. I have still seen so really dangerous driving, but I haven't been hit or forced off the road in many many years.

Of course, I have also gotten less reckless and more cooperative.
Old 02-22-23, 05:52 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
By the way .... it has been a while since I did any research, and it is spotty because of HIPPA laws and such, but as far as I can tell the majority of the thousand (or slightly fewer) cyclists who die each year fall into at least one of these classes----substance-abuse impaired, no lights at night, dark clothing at night, riding the wrong way. As I recall, alcohol was the most common factor.

Drunk guys in black hoodies doing the ninja salmon and getting run down when they flash off the sidewalk right in front of someone pulling out of a driveway is not a "risk factor' which in any way applies to me.

I have found in fact, that over the past three or so decades, drivers have become much more polite and cooperative. I have still seen so really dangerous driving, but I haven't been hit or forced off the road in many many years.

One killed at a traffic light, lady ran the light and killed him. Another with full reflective gear and lights front and rear. Two run over from behind in broad daylight.

You always blame the victim?

Cycling is very risky.
Old 02-22-23, 05:58 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Engineers are practical users of physics. If using physics is pretending to be a physicist then I guess I'm guilty.
Does it count if I almost double majored in physics? I dropped it Senior year needed just the last quantum mechanics class but the Prof was always gone traveling to the accelerator or some radar telescope in PR with cute coeds in tow and don't get me started on the constantly drunk physics professor that we had to endure. One day it was announced the drunk old fool won himself the Nobel prize. He hated me freshman year because like the second day we were going over friction crap and he tells us surface area does not matter and he did not appreciate my real world data on 1/4 mile pulls with different tire widths. I can still smell the stench of yesterday's and that day's alcohol on his noble breath.
Old 02-22-23, 06:01 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

More myths, if I may (and no offense intended for a change):

1. HIPAA prohibits reporting of statistical or any other non-identifiable information by health care entities.

2. HIPAA has anything to say about disclosure or gathering of any information by anyone else.

2. HIPAA is HIPPA.
Likes For MoAlpha:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.