Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

which mountain bikes would you guys suggest ?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-23, 11:03 PM
bikespodium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello all,

can anyone tell which is best mountain bike according to your experience ?
what all things should we consider when thinking to buy bike.

thanks
Old 07-17-23, 12:03 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Too vague of a question, but if you must know....the one that fits you best.

Last edited by katsup; 07-17-23 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-17-23, 06:31 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
Thread moved from General to Mountain Biking

Old 07-17-23, 06:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by bikespodium
what all things should we consider when thinking to buy bike. thanks
What kind of riding do you plan to do? Do you want to fly down steep mountainsides at maximum speed on a bike so heavy you can barely ride uphill? Do you want to had into the back country on six-hour rides? Do you want to take varied rides over mixed terrain? Do you want to do stunts? Do you like dropping off 15-foot cliffs? Do you want to ride at a more relaxed pace on jeep trails and hiking/horse trails?

Bikes are tools, and choosing the appropriate tool for the job determines how well you can do the job.

Once you determine where you plan to do most of your riding, what kind of terrain or trails, then you need to learn about what size bike you need ---- if the bike is perfect in every regard but doesn't physically fit your body, it would be like owning beautiful shoes which were too big or small----nothing but pain, and the shoes would be unwearable, no matter how flash or how technical they might be. You need to get a bike which fits your specific proportions.

Next you need to determine your budget. You can get a serviceable mountain bike for about $1000 or you can spay 20 times that amount. You need to decide how much you want to spend.

I find it is best to buy the most bike I can afford---amortized over the long span of time i will be riding the bike, the little extra up-front cash only hurts for a moment but the pleasure lasts for as long as the bike lasts. However, if you are just starting out, consider two things: first, you might not like the kind of riding you think you will like. Don't buy a highly specialized, very expensive bike which might not work for you.

Some folks are happiest with a short-travel hard tail, light and nimble, not the best for fast downhills or big drops, but really good at going quickly over a lot of terrain. Some folks need an "all-mountain" type bike which weighs almost twice as much, but it tougher than a tank, suitable for 20-foot drops and crazy obstacles. if you don't know what kind of riding you like, get a cheaper bike and plan to buy a more focused bike in a season or two.

Second, if you are just starting out, consider accessories. You will want a floor pump and a frame pump, a seat bag or a hydration pack, maybe a bottle cage and bottle, some cycling tools, spare tubes, maybe gloves a cycling shoes .... I don't wear a helmet for road-riding but I always wear a helmet off-road because the likelihood of crashing is higher if I am trying to tackle increasingly difficult obstacles, or riding shifting terrain. I wear gloves but they are not needed. All that costs money, and need to be in the budget.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-17-23, 08:44 AM
ViO

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikespodium
hello all,

can anyone tell which is best mountain bike according to your experience ?
what all things should we consider when thinking to buy bike.

thanks

If you’re just starting out look at the Trek Marlin series such as the Marlin 5 or 6. It’s a hard tail with front suspension having 100mm travel. If you’re an advanced rider with more of a budget perhaps a dual suspension with 100/120mm front travel is the bike for you. I would suggest going to your local bike shop and explaining your needs and then test ride the suggested bikes.
Likes For ViO:
Old 07-17-23, 09:26 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Good replies for a question so vague it doesn't warrant an answer. There should be info on the budget, riding area, etc.
Old 07-17-23, 11:23 AM
bikespodium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What kind of riding do you plan to do? Do you want to fly down steep mountainsides at maximum speed on a bike so heavy you can barely ride uphill? Do you want to had into the back country on six-hour rides? Do you want to take varied rides over mixed terrain? Do you want to do stunts? Do you like dropping off 15-foot cliffs? Do you want to ride at a more relaxed pace on jeep trails and hiking/horse trails?

Bikes are tools, and choosing the appropriate tool for the job determines how well you can do the job.

Once you determine where you plan to do most of your riding, what kind of terrain or trails, then you need to learn about what size bike you need ---- if the bike is perfect in every regard but doesn't physically fit your body, it would be like owning beautiful shoes which were too big or small----nothing but pain, and the shoes would be unwearable, no matter how flash or how technical they might be. You need to get a bike which fits your specific proportions.

Next you need to determine your budget. You can get a serviceable mountain bike for about $1000 or you can spay 20 times that amount. You need to decide how much you want to spend.

I find it is best to buy the most bike I can afford---amortized over the long span of time i will be riding the bike, the little extra up-front cash only hurts for a moment but the pleasure lasts for as long as the bike lasts. However, if you are just starting out, consider two things: first, you might not like the kind of riding you think you will like. Don't buy a highly specialized, very expensive bike which might not work for you.

Some folks are happiest with a short-travel hard tail, light and nimble, not the best for fast downhills or big drops, but really good at going quickly over a lot of terrain. Some folks need an "all-mountain" type bike which weighs almost twice as much, but it tougher than a tank, suitable for 20-foot drops and crazy obstacles. if you don't know what kind of riding you like, get a cheaper bike and plan to buy a more focused bike in a season or two.

Second, if you are just starting out, consider accessories. You will want a floor pump and a frame pump, a seat bag or a hydration pack, maybe a bottle cage and bottle, some cycling tools, spare tubes, maybe gloves a cycling shoes .... I don't wear a helmet for road-riding but I always wear a helmet off-road because the likelihood of crashing is higher if I am trying to tackle increasingly difficult obstacles, or riding shifting terrain. I wear gloves but they are not needed. All that costs money, and need to be in the budget.
I am looking bike for my kid he is 9 year old.
well tomorrow i shall click some pictures to show what roads are like here ( basically this is Himalayan region of Asia)
here cycling isn't much hence less experience in terms of cycle thats why I posted this question it may look vague to people from west but its very much relevant for this region.
coz here not many guys would know what is MTB or any different kind of bike.
thanks for your guidance
Old 07-17-23, 11:25 AM
bikespodium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Too vague of a question, but if you must know....the one that fits you best.
Thanks for the guidance that often people look up for ..
most valuable suggestion.
Old 07-17-23, 11:27 AM
bikespodium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Good replies for a question so vague it doesn't warrant an answer. There should be info on the budget, riding area, etc.
incase you found it vague, you shouldn't had even replied ..
anyways thanks for your reply
Old 07-17-23, 11:28 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
First decision is the type of mountain bike which depends on where you plan to use it. The hardtail bikes are a good place to get started and they will be much less expensive than a full suspension bike. Specialized Rockhopper "cross country" bikes have been around for a very long time and pricing for them starts out at only $650 and are available at local bike shops. I like to support local businesses and keep the money in the community.