Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Spiders!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 05:13 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Spiders!!!

Not sure if this is a rant or a plea for help.
I've been riding earlier and earlier on MUP's and MTB trails to avoid the un ending heat.
Being the first person on the trail is cool(er), peaceful and quiet, and FULL OF SPIDERS!!
I'm not a phobia type of person but by the time I'm finished with the trail, my face AND bike look like cotton candy. Sure most spiders jump off after I ruin their hard work, just a few take up residence or decide to Tarzan across my field of view and the worst possible moment.
Little shiny ones, big fuzzy mamas, all sorts of 8 legged friends to join my ride.
Might consider a face mesh to limit the THPFFFFT-F-F-FTHFT moments.
(Already have a hair net to keep SOME of the critters out)
((some still enter through the front back and sides))

[at lease the mosquito population is greatly reduced]

Final note:
For everyone else who rides, runs, or hikes the trail after me:
You're Welcome.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 08-28-23, 05:35 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,446 Times in 995 Posts
It depends where you live. On a MUP I occasionally ride in the mornings there are swarms of very small flying insects, so small you don't see them until you're right in them. Getting a mouthful of them is no fun. When I get home its not unusual to have a collection of them on the front of my clothing. Fortunately, they're in predictable areas (shrubbery, isolated from breezes and wind) so you can somewhat predict where they will pop up.
Old 08-28-23, 05:39 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Sorry, no suggestions. Start your rides later?

The same thing happens hiking early in the morning. If you're the first one down the trail early in the morning, you get a face full of spider silk. (And, it's covered in dew, so you get a double dose, spider silk and wetness.) Silk in the face during hiking is a different order of magnitude, of course, since walking is slower than riding. Fortunately, trails are usually wide enough that you're just getting the silk the spiders trail after them, and not the full web. So, usually just strands of silk and not the spiders themselves.
Old 08-28-23, 06:14 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
At least they get rid of the other insects for you!

https://www.science.org/content/arti...w-you-parse-it
Old 08-28-23, 08:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Sorry, no help here.

When we were younger, my wife always wanted me to be in front of her while hiking in the mornings just for the spider webs. A few times I persuaded her to go first (it's only fair!) just to find out she's sufficiently shorter than I am that I still got the spider webs from my nose up. After I figured that out, I sucked it up and led.
Old 08-28-23, 08:15 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Yeah, no suggestions here. I have found that it is either put up with them of go out later. I like to get out early so I just live with them. One of the disadvantages of being an early riser...
Old 08-28-23, 08:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Just get someone to ride in front of you
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-28-23, 08:19 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Here's a solution something
Old 08-28-23, 09:05 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I have heard that many spider species are most active this time of year, as it's their mating season. In the desert where I live, they are reportedly thriving very well this year, because we had a particularly wet spring. Supposedly the migratory birds have a real feast waiting for them in the coming weeks. I haven't noticed them in the places where I ride, run, and walk. Perhaps its because I'm not the first one out each day.
Old 08-28-23, 09:30 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Just get someone to ride in front of you
That was a Steve Martin joke, if I remember right - make sure your wife is ahead of you to clear the way of spiders.
Old 08-28-23, 09:32 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I used to hike a loop trail every weekend. If I met someone coming toward me, I'd tell them I had cleared out the trail for them. They would laugh and say they had done the same for me. If it was early and I didn't catch any webs, I would know that I wasn't alone on the trail. There are other signs like shoe treads on rocks if the humidly is high enough.
Old 08-28-23, 09:33 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
A friend of mine was riding in the twilight hours - I don't know if it was AM or PM - and he collided with a flying bat. They say bats eat spiders, so I suppose he couldn't complain too terribly much. If it ain't one, it's the other!
Old 08-28-23, 10:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I run at night. Bats are definitely out there getting theirs.
Old 08-28-23, 11:16 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Do a practice ride first, just to clear out the spider webs. Consider it a dry run, which "doesn't count". Just forget about it once you finish it. And then go and enjoy the actual ride, predominantly spider-free! This is basically the same advice as cyccommute's one above, except you are basically using yourself to ride in front of you.

(BTW, has anyone tried using Garmin's "Virtual Partner" feature for that purpose?)

Last edited by AndreyT; 08-28-23 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-28-23, 01:52 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
That was a Steve Martin joke, if I remember right - make sure your wife is ahead of you to clear the way of spiders.
Daughter. But same idea. Columbia River Gorge spiders are huge and string industrial strength cables across everything on the river. We saw one anchor strands that was 6 feet long. My daughter loves spiders so I let her deal with them.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-28-23, 06:02 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Here's a solution something
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjU_C85uBx8
I cannot believe I'm considering this......
Old 08-28-23, 06:13 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
When I was commuting to work, I got there between 2 and 3 am and where I had to lock up my bike, I had a 400 yard walk to my building. I had to cross over a swampy area every morning, and I carried a retractable pointer to sweep the cob webs from the banana spiders built across the bridge. It came in handy, that is for sure.

Old 08-29-23, 03:40 AM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 62 Posts
Maybe we should appreciate what is left of insect/arachnid life while it is still here. We might miss it when it's gone.
Likes For esasjl:
Old 08-29-23, 05:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by esasjl
Maybe we should appreciate what is left of insect/arachnid life while it is still here. We might miss it when it's gone.
Among other things, they are food for birds. Riding across the country I saw plenty of them get eaten in mid-flight by birds, especially in open areas like ND. Really cool to see.
Old 08-29-23, 05:30 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22606 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Originally Posted by esasjl
More likely WE will be gone and these critters will inherit the earth.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-29-23, 06:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Back in '97 I dated a woman whose mother got re-married to a man who had a penthouse apartment on Lower Whacker Drive in Chicago. I went to visit one august week. One side of the apartment was all tall windows. Spiders got carried by the lake breezes and would land on the windows. In the summer, the windows seemed to be covered with hundreds of them of varying sizes. Fascinating to watch them become more and more animated as the temperature rose during the morning. Every once in a while, the larger ones would get into little territorial spats over window space. I was told that every couple of months in season, building maintenance would sweep them away. Definitely not the best living arrangement for arachnophobes.
Old 08-29-23, 07:24 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Good thing tarantulas don't spin webs across your bike trail. They would really freak you out. They can get several inches in size. I've very rarely found them in the desert where I live. When it is mating time, that's the best time to see them in rural areas.
If you ever happen to be on the U of WI Madison campus look at some of the buildings along the lake like the Limnology lab. The spiders hanging from the building are pretty, well fed from lake insects, and numerous. Definitely not for those who fear spiders. I used to regularly find black widow spiders in my landscaping adjacent to the house. You can always tell a black widow web because it is disorganized, not the geometric webs spun by most spiders. They are very common in the desert.

Old 08-29-23, 08:12 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Spiders freak me out. I reached into my mailbox one day to retrieve my mail and noticed something moving - a black dot over the white envelopes. Good thing, it turned out to be a Black Widow. After a generous dose of chemical warfare, and verified removal of the 8 legged corpse, I removed the mailbox and sealed every tiny little opening I could find.
Old 08-29-23, 09:10 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
The morning cobwebs don't hurt anything. Bit annoying but can't say I've ever seen the spider, just the webs, in all the years I rode in the early morning.

If nothing else just think about how the poor siders feel
Old 08-30-23, 04:30 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
I'm wondering what a bicycle would look like if it was desgned for use by a spider.

But then I'm a little bit odd and I have got flu.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.