Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wishing to ride Mt Baldy

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wishing to ride Mt Baldy

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 11:51 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,968 Times in 948 Posts
FWIW, I really do not like the ride upto the ski lifts not because of the 2K climb from the village but because of the descent.
Same goes for the descent from the village down Mt Baldy Rd. I have done it a few times but did not enjoy it as much as GRR/GMR. Fast traffic, rocks and a beat up road just is not my idea of fun.
For myself, I would only ride up to the lifts with disc brakes and wider tires because of the steep descent, traffic,condition of the road and rocks.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 07-13-23 at 11:59 AM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-13-23, 12:08 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Sorry - I used bike calculator, plugged in his weight, bike weight, grade (which is 7.6% without the downhill portions), with a 2 mile section at 10%+.

That is a beast of a climb for an experienced rider.

I was a heavy rider for years, made decent power and would not try that climb at that time. Shorter, less steep climbs used to kick my behind when I weighed 240#.

Now for offense. I offered advice based on my experience as a heavy rider and watts required based off a calculator that everyone has access to. I'm not sorry if you are offended by that - not at all.

It's gotten to the point where you can't even speak without someone being offended... and when you speak to 1000's of people, someone is bound to be offended by anything you say.

So - not sorry if you are offended - and I will quote the rule you listed a few weeks back. See Rule #5.
LOl at least you have a sense of humor! I've been a heavy rider since long before starting to ride. I have not shirked from climbs, even hard ones. Doesn't make me any better than anyone. Everyone has their own limits. Your advice to embrace Rule#5 is great. I have and because of that I rode up the long and steep stuff. Not fast and not without discomfort but worth it. FWIW some of the years that would have included climbs I was rocking a 53-39 and a 12x30. Your 34x34 would have been lots easier but IME not necessary. I made my point, have a swell day!
Old 07-13-23, 12:17 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,124 Posts

#prerequisite
Old 07-13-23, 12:20 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2623 Post(s)
Liked 1,962 Times in 1,229 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a mountain bike with a compact double crank, or even an old-school touring bike with a triple crank. Why strain yourself when you can sit and spin a 24-34 all the way to the top?
Old 07-13-23, 01:12 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8345 Post(s)
Liked 9,194 Times in 4,530 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a mountain bike with a compact double crank, or even an old-school touring bike with a triple crank. Why strain yourself when you can sit and spin a 24-34 all the way to the top?
It's really not that bad for anyone who is a decent climber and has the gearing they need. Like I said, I did the ride to the village on the 4th and I'm 69 and 200 pounds. This was with a 34x29 low gear which was fine. The climb to the ski lifts, 4 miles and 2000 feet, would have been tough for me but I have done it with the same gearing. That comes with 5K feet already in the legs.

One time a friend who had only recently started bicycling ( he had ridden off road motorcycles his whole life) wanted to go with our group. I advised against it because he only had a mountain bike and little experience climbing. A nice, light mtb, but still... Anyway he insisted and promised to turn back when he got tired and didn't want us to wait. Fair enough. We dropped him part way up and went to the village for snacks, thinking he turned back. When we started back down we found him nearly at the top of the climb. We gave him some water and a granola bar and hit the road. He stuck to my rear wheel all the way down, even on knobbies. Comes from a lifetime on two wheels, I suppose. Plus, I'm a careful descender. (read wuss)

One time we went to the Eastern Sierra to do some climbing and my one friend set up a rigid mtb with road wheels and tires and it was a good choice for those mountains.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-13-23, 01:17 PM
jzr756

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Wishing to climb Mt Baldy

Originally Posted by tFUnK
GMR>GRR to Baldy Village would be my preferred route. It's more scenic with fewer cars. From Baldy Village to the ski lifts, that's a whole other beast.

Take your time and bring plenty of water and food. As for gearing, you'll probably be in whatever your lowest climbing gear is (not too long ago, 34/28 was as low as people went, and before that was 39/25); you'll get up the hill eventually if you take breaks as needed. The one and only time I did GMR>GRR>ski lifts I weighed 180lbs, had a 30/25 climbing gear, carried 2.5-3L of water, and took my sweet time getting up there (lots of photo breaks, water/banana breaks, and a proper lunch at the lodge).
Awesome! I believe my lowest gearing on my antique Diamondback is 34/28 looks like I've seen guys climbing with maybe much lower.
Also wanted to send out a big thank you to everyone for all your encouragement, tips, and advice appreciate it.

Last edited by jzr756; 07-13-23 at 01:33 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-13-23, 03:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8345 Post(s)
Liked 9,194 Times in 4,530 Posts
Originally Posted by jzr756
Awesome! I believe my lowest gearing on my antique Diamondback is 34/28 looks like I've seen guys climbing with maybe much lower.
Also wanted to send out a big thank you to everyone for all your encouragement, tips, and advice appreciate it.
Just go to the bottom of Glendora Mountain Road and start climbing. If you get a couple miles up that will tell you a lot. Don't be discouraged by the first part before the gate. It gets easier after the gate.
Old 07-14-23, 01:47 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,703 Posts
baldy lifts after the village are brutal. once you maybe survive the switchbacks and the all too rapid downhill, you hit the "bowling alley" up to the lifts in the last segment.
much ouchiwawa. u haz triple-bring it. u'll need it. done it on 34 x 27, 34 x 30 and 34 x 34. always destructive.

some climbs, like baldy lifts and south grade palomar, have few spiritual benefits other than completing a slog from hades. they are definitely
difficult but (almost completely) without any kind of "wow" and reason why we cycle throughout. i'll do those climbs every few years or so just to "stay relevant' in hipster land but those climbs are nearly devoid of any pleasure throughout. doing gmr/grr to the lifts or east palomar to the observatory are so much more desirable as a cyclist. you look to cultivate challenge, scenery and experience vs just checking something off a checklist ideally.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-14-23 at 02:03 AM.
Likes For diphthong: