Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 11:17 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC

Trying to get better pics of this bike and find out what size frame it is. Does it look like it is mostly original? The shock looks...cheap?
Any idea of year? 98?

He also has this second bike for sale. Any ideas on what it might be. It has a RS Indy fork. I'm awaiting an answer about what brand the black one is and better pics

He wants $40 for both.....Do I need 2 more bikes...
Old 01-23-24, 08:11 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
For $40, worth it for parts if you like to tinker (assuming wheels are good, etc.). I wouldn’t count on resale value as older full suspensions are tough to sell.

The black one looks lower end than the Specialized, and that seatpost and suspension will not play nicely together. It does seem to have some alright components though.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 01-23-24, 11:46 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
The FSR is a worthy frame for a project, I have an S-Works and they ride pretty well for ancient FS.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 01-23-24, 01:07 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Stumpjumper is likely 1999 or 2000. These things ride great for a vintage full squish. Rear shock is a coil shock, not necessarily low end. I've got an old Fox Vanilla that looks pretty much the same once you tear the sticker off. Your frame also has residue from a Fox sticker that was removed, so that points towards Fox being the most likely brand. Coil shocks are much lower maintainence, I've actually swapped out air shocks and forks for coil on bikes that I want to ride frequently. The mounting hardware does look a bit sketchy though, if you notice a bunch of play at the mounting points for the rear shock, I'd go through the effort of tracking down the correct hardware before riding it. If it seems solid, then perhaps the QRs they butchered to make that hardware are actually the right size to do the job.

Black one is probably a Gary Fisher Joshua. Not a great suspension design, but if you give it a set of biopace chainrings, the pedal bob is greatly reduced and they become ok to ride. Looks like it has some decent parts on it too. If you want to ride it with the saddle that that height, you will need to cut off the bottom part of the seatpost.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 01-25-24, 09:29 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
The seller responded with some vauge info. He says he's not a cyclist. He doesn't even know that the brand is Specialized

So the Specialized is a Rockhopper FSR XC. 2000ish?
The other bike just says Trek.Looks like a Y Frame series. Mid 90's?

I'm more interested in the Specialized if anything. Still worth the $40 for both if the front shocks aren't sacked out?
Old 01-25-24, 09:42 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
$40 for both is even a decent deal if the suspension is done for. Go for it.
Old 01-26-24, 09:23 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
At $40 no brainer, assume you are just buying parts. If they end up being better than that, great.
Likes For wrk101: