Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How do you stay motivated?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 07:38 AM
Wanderer518

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

I've been riding on and off all my life. Started being serious about it in 2012 when I was in-between jobs and wanted to save money and shed some weight. What motivated me back then was signing up for a annual bike race/gran fondo event, started small I think it was 35 miles then 50, up to 100 miles the last year I rode it (2018). Fast forward to 2021 I moved across country to a really car-centric area with zero cycling infrastructure, I've found some endless low trafficked rural roads but it still doesn't stop me from making excuses. I've tried giving myself incentives, for example if I rode a certain distance I'd treat myself with ice cream or an ice cold craft beer at the end or something. Since I've been dieting and working on my sobriety so the beer/ice cream incentive doesn't really work anymore, I've been thinking about treating myself to new gear if I ride every day. I'm in training to get my endurance back up to complete a sub 8hr century this fall.
Old 04-19-23, 08:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I don't stay motivated. at least not currently. looking forward to something, anything, kicking in ...
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-20-23, 09:34 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
My doctor suggesting a lifetime of meds if I don't lower my bp helped a bit.
Old 04-20-23, 09:49 AM
Grudey1
Suburban Dad

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL5 Disc, 2021 Giant Talon 2, 2012 Trek 7.1 FX, 2005 Trek Fuel 70, 2003 Trek 4500

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
I will grow tired of cycling the same routes all the time. To combat this, I will search the internet for new and interesting routes to try (even if I have to drive to them). Apps like Strava and Ride GPS are also good resources. I will also alternate between road and MTB. I'm by no means a hard core MTB rider but flying along trails in the woods can be exhilarating. I feels good to just be out in nature. Switching between urban and country riding is a nice changeup. I have also found informal group rides on Meetup. Developing cycling friendships helps to keep me accountable.
Likes For Grudey1:
Old 04-20-23, 10:48 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Fear of unfitness and the hell that comes with it.
Old 04-21-23, 05:24 PM
rje58_too

Bikes: 2019 Trek FX2; 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0; 1997 Trek 830 (converted to hybrid); 1992 Trek 800 Antelope

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 283 Posts
I actually enjoy riding. I find it to be therapeutic. It helps me de-stress and clears my mind. I usually ride on some of those "endless back country roads" that you mentioned. I also enjoy riding on greenways, but usually back roads because I can ride those out of my driveway.

So for me, I don't need much motivation. It's something I WANT to do, anyway.
Likes For rje58_too:
Old 04-22-23, 05:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Make the investment and take up loaded touring, even if you can only get away for a week or long weekend. There is a lot of pretty country to see.

Old 04-27-23, 02:10 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer518
I've been riding on and off all my life. Started being serious about it in 2012 when I was in-between jobs and wanted to save money and shed some weight. What motivated me back then was signing up for a annual bike race/gran fondo event, started small I think it was 35 miles then 50, up to 100 miles the last year I rode it (2018). Fast forward to 2021 I moved across country to a really car-centric area with zero cycling infrastructure, I've found some endless low trafficked rural roads but it still doesn't stop me from making excuses. I've tried giving myself incentives, for example if I rode a certain distance I'd treat myself with ice cream or an ice cold craft beer at the end or something. Since I've been dieting and working on my sobriety so the beer/ice cream incentive doesn't really work anymore, I've been thinking about treating myself to new gear if I ride every day. I'm in training to get my endurance back up to complete a sub 8hr century this fall.
You sort of answered you own question. Enter more events! Find an event out a couple of months or even in the Fall. That should give you motivation to train for the event. I try and ride at least 4 events in the summer and in fact, I have one this Saturday to start off my season. Riding in an event for me is always a great motivator. Also, if they give you a number, keep it! My wall in my TV room is now filled with about 50 of my past event numbers. It adds up. For me though, picking an event months out will get me motivated to keep riding.

Also, think about an event that maybe in a neighboring state and treat it as a small getaway. I live in SC and done events in Virginia, NC, Georgia and Florida. All overnighters or making it an entire weekend adventure. Kind of a way to see some areas that you would not normally go to.

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 04-28-23, 10:35 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by rje58_too
I actually enjoy riding. I find it to be therapeutic. It helps me de-stress and clears my mind.
1. Enjoying the ride is the key. I don't ride primarily for exercise, even though cycling is one of the very few ways I get any exercise at all.
2. Initially, I was also motivated because I thought the weight limit of my bike was lower than its actual weight limit, and unsure whether that limit includes the weight of the bike itself.
3. Now, I have four bikes, two with (financially, and I like to think, functionally) significant "upgrades," so this also motivates me to ride more often and push myself.

But #2 and #3 would not work without #1.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-01-23, 01:47 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I quit relying on motivation. If I were motivated I would have been on the bike for the last 9 months. Personally I need to be disciplined to get up and ride to work. I always feel better doing it, so discipline it is. This makes it difficult because it's all on me there's no pretending to be "motivated" no other person will do it, it's all on me.

That's liberating and of course frightening...hard to look in the mirror and take responsibility for myself.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 05-07-23, 04:23 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
Riding with friends...trying to get faster and lighter......and views like this:

Likes For exercion:
Old 05-09-23, 07:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

to quote Tom Cruise in Top Gun Maverick. "don't think, just do"
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-14-23, 10:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by exercion
Riding with friends...trying to get faster and lighter......and views like this:

I’ve ridden the GAP a few times. Two times were during cross-PA tours.
Old 05-14-23, 09:47 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 337 Posts
I try to view the ride as the reward and not as work to get to a different reward. It's easier said than done, but I remind myself of how lucky I am to be riding bikes in the outdoors.

I was kind of in a hole the last couple years. I even stopped riding completely for awhile...I kept comparing my then-current condition to where I was a couple years prior to that. Getting back to that level seemed like an insurmountable task. So instead of trying to get back to that level, I just decided to start doing really easy rides, unplugged from Strava and all that BS...no real goals or objectives, not judging myself against others, just spinning the pedals. I just started riding for fun, eventually something clicked and the motivation for structured training came back to me. I've been having just a bunch of fun riding and rediscovering my old fitness. I've even got back into XC mtb racing and am planning some other events this year.
Old 05-15-23, 09:45 AM
rumrunn6

was thinking about this thread the other day. a little "success" can be a motivator. meaning you feel like you did something good or accomplished something good, so you want to do it again
Old 05-15-23, 10:16 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Between 2018-2020 I hiked the same 10 mile loop in the Smoky Mountains. Each week, something was different and new. I practiced being in the present and I journalled after the hike. I hiked in whatever weather was happening. The solitude of the mountains and encounters never failed to satisfy. There were times when I didn't want to have to drive to the loop, but I always did. I have tended to use those skills now when I cycle my local neighborhood. There is always something different or new.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 06-01-23, 08:53 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I started paying attention to how many people are old AND Obese. Look around, there are very few people who are just that. It's a fact that if you are obese, you will more than likely die young. Now that I am 57, I live in fear, so I ride. I've only lost 5 pounds (I weigh 245 and I'm 6'-0") after damn near 600 miles of riding hard this year, but my body fat has dropped to the point where my doc noticed. He said it did not matter what i weighed if I was not fat, and I was lucky to be 57 and muscular. I am very motivated to keep going and lose all of the fat I have gained over he last 35 years. Ride often and ride hard.
Likes For Breadfan:
Old 06-01-23, 12:08 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
As many have pointed out fear is a great motivator. But it doesn't help you love something, and in fact can ruin whatever satisfaction you get from it. In other words it becomes something you HAVE to do, akin to drudgery.
So yes, sign up for rides and such, but don't feel the pressure to add more and more miles. Slow and steady wins the race when it comes to fitness and longevity. Many succumb to the "more is better" philosophy and a year or two later they aren't moving at all.
Set achievable goals and WRITE THEM DOWN so you have a record. Seeing it in ink is a motivator in itself. Be consistent but be flexible and when you fail, instead of beating yourself up, just go at it even harder the next time. But not every time!
Old 06-01-23, 12:26 PM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Agreed. I have been in fear for the last couple of years but I also don't like working out, or going to gyms, running, walking. I like to ride, but not on streets, my city is one of the most dangerous cities in the US to ride. So, I had to figure that out and I went back to my roots of riding on dirt/gravel. I have a place I go to 2-3 times a week with miles of dirt/gravel, enough to get lost in and best of all, no cars. Every time I go, I am happy. Yea, you have to love it, or it will fizzle. I'm gradually getting stronger and not overdoing it. Slow and steady does win. I have hard days, but lately, they are getting less and less.
Likes For Breadfan:
Old 09-15-23, 06:43 AM
Breadfan

I look in the mirror and scoff.
Old 09-15-23, 07:10 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,585 Times in 734 Posts
A structured training plan (leading to a big event) works for me. The online training plan (TrainingPeaks) has the carrots and sticks keeping me motivated. The carrots are seeing actual and planned improvements and the stick is the guilty red square in calendar showing a missed workout.
Old 09-16-23, 08:11 PM
deimos25
700c

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Anytime I lose motivation I get to some group rides, catch a few rides and I am back highly motivated.
Old 09-17-23, 07:40 PM
MagnaRota

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
By riding balls out, and with a heavy metal howl as I pass pedests, instead of dinging a little bell and meekly calling out "passing on your left." Seriously, try that, holler "yeah yeah yeah yeah coming up on your (preferred expletive) left" like you were Slash from GnR.
Old 09-23-23, 07:10 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
For me the best motivation is being involved with other riders and a club. I volunteered to lead the club's B group rides every Saturday, so I also have a commitment. And thru this I’ve made new friends and we will often meet up for weekday rides. I’m over 5,800 miles year to date. I’ve learned that both the riding and the camaraderie combined make me happy. Kind of interesting, for most of my adult life I didn’t consider myself a “people person”. But I am.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 10-22-23, 06:54 AM
Straytwice

Bikes: 1990s Giant Excursion

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My lifelong best friend has challenged me to tour with him when I retire in the next couple of years. I loved riding many moons ago so it should be just a get out and do it thing. He is already retired and posting pictures of his rides. I am envious of his being out there already. So at it I am. Doing maintenance on a new to me touring bike and been taking the stairs and long walk into work. from my past times doing things habits form by repetition. Once the habit is there maintaining it is again Just Do it. Groups help but I find a friend is the best motivator out there.
YMMV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.