Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

POLL for Americans...What kind of units do you use?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Imperial or Metric
Imperial
59.42%
Metric
26.09%
Units...I don't need no stinkin' units
14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

POLL for Americans...What kind of units do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 07:37 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Both - depends on the circumstance. Also, Whitworth and Nähnorm 100
Old 02-22-21, 11:31 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
You know, you have something there. European infrastructure is generally more puny, less generously designed than North American ways of doing things. It always strikes me whenever I travel over there. And it carries over to everything. I can't say much about UK, Ireland parts since the heritage there is British Imperial system which is also based on 12. I believe they only converted to metric sometimes in the twentieth century and it probably wears thin, that is inconsistent, same as in US?
If by "more puny, less generously designed" you mean "the streets in this 300 year old market village are too narrow to drive a 5.0l king cab pickup truck," then maybe. I was more talking about the aesthetics of modern architecture and design there.
Old 02-22-21, 12:10 PM
jdfilms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use both all the time. Taking machining classes in junior college probably helped with that.

My uncle was convinced that the United States was going to switch to metric in the late 80's or 90's and he wrote a book about the metric system that was published at the time. I wish I could find a copy. I remember him coming to our house and teaching me, my mom and dad all about it.
Old 02-22-21, 12:22 PM
buegelfrei

Bikes: Daylight ARC c1 XXL 20", Surly Big Dummy, c.1983 Merckx Professional

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I ticked the “Imperial” option since I use gear-inches, MPH, miles ridden, feet (or parking spaces) wheelied, and I weigh complete bikes in pounds. However, I use grams for individual parts (though I may convert to ounces in my head) and I measure most bike parts in mm (Q-factor, crank length, fork axle-to-crown and rake). BMX frame and handlebar geometry in inches, road bike frames and bars in cm. Strictly Nm for torque. Weather in Fahrenheit.
Old 02-22-21, 12:29 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Coming from a long automotive background, I use both imperial and metric measurements for sizes. I do some design work in CAD, and prefer metric there, because it's much easier to work with.
I still prefer imperial for temperature, speed and distance. I also prefer in/lbs and ft/lbs over Nm for torque, mostly due to the calibration markings on most US made torque wrenches, although I have a set of Park Tools torque wrenches in Nm just for use on the bike.
Being in the engineering world, I use decimal Imperial measurements, 1.234" etc. Fractional Imperial measurements suck. Example; quick, what is the next-larger size wrench from 13/64"?
Old 02-22-21, 12:49 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Originally Posted by buegelfrei
I ticked the “Imperial” option since I use gear-inches, MPH, miles ridden, feet (or parking spaces) wheelied, and I weigh complete bikes in pounds. However, I use grams for individual parts (though I may convert to ounces in my head) and I measure most bike parts in mm (Q-factor, crank length, fork axle-to-crown and rake). BMX frame and handlebar geometry in inches, road bike frames and bars in cm. Strictly Nm for torque. Weather in Fahrenheit.
Grams or mm are a lot better for bike-part level precision than 1/32" or 1/4oz. Although I do look out for 23" size frames.

Most units I can interchange pretty comfortably between metric and imperial (1" = 25mm, 25 miles = 40km, 1kg =2.2lbs, and a pint is a little less (US) or more (UK/Ireland) than a half litre), but with fahrenheit and celsius both starting at completely different points I've never been able to accurately translate that for friends unfamiliar with the other (I'll tell my parents it's 70 degrees here today, and have to google it to tell them that means 21C). It also doesn't help that both places have a very different concept of what constitutes "a warm sunny day" (Ireland - anything in the teens C with white clouds; CA - nothing under 70F with blue skies)
Old 02-22-21, 01:03 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
miles
Old 02-22-21, 01:29 PM
edmguirk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't use imperial, I use american. 1 US gallon = 1.2 Imperial gallons.

I buy a lot of stuff on ebay and I recently learned there is a measurement called a chinese inch. It's related to tailoring and the original "Cun" thumb width. 1 chinese inch does not equal 2.54 cm, it equals 3 cm.

I now own an ebay tape measure that makes me think I lost a lot of weight when I measure my waist.

When I am buying cheap stuff on ebay, I've got to look twice at all the measurements because they don't always say which inch they use and I do not have an innate feel for the size of things in metric. I much prefer metric when I am calculating in physics or engineering but I don't have a mental image of it.

Last edited by edmguirk; 02-22-21 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-22-21, 01:41 PM
countyrider

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Metric

Originally Posted by Steve B.
On bikes and cars it's all metric, everything else is imperial. Too bad, the US should have gone metric back in the 60's when it was an option.
We tried in the 1970s and it was a flop. There were even some highway signs in km, at least in California. In any case, who wants to order a half a liter of beer rather than a pint?
Old 02-22-21, 01:58 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by countyrider
We tried in the 1970s and it was a flop. There were even some highway signs in km, at least in California. In any case, who wants to order a half a liter of beer rather than a pint?
you are supposed to order in whole units. order a liter, not a half a liter.
Old 02-22-21, 02:01 PM
Leinster

I would like the extra 25.82ml of beer in the half liter.

On the other hand, I would prefer the extra 68.26ml on top of that in the British pint.
Old 02-22-21, 02:02 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I prefer metric for anything exercise related.
Old 02-22-21, 02:30 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Being in the engineering world, I use decimal Imperial measurements, 1.234" etc. Fractional Imperial measurements suck. Example; quick, what is the next-larger size wrench from 13/64"?
my dad would have answered that immediately. He lived through the whole mess. So consider this story. When I was a Peace Corp math teacher in Ghana (1976) the head sent the office assistant over to find out how many meters was so many yards. I could do the conversion, so many meters.something. They were under orders to buy the new fence material in meters. I can picture the rest: something dot something? What’s that? I’m sure the Bursar got involved. He probably said something like so many meters and my cousin will split the rest. Done!

in my view units are best if they are useful. Like miles are useful because that’s an amount that feels right. Like a foot if you are doing house construction or an inch for finish carpenters. Early into the metric conversion the roads signs would say like 29.387 km. Nonsense!
Old 02-22-21, 02:46 PM
OLDYELLR
My bikes became Vintage

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I voted imperial, but "both" should have been a choice. I hope this poll wasn't meant just for U.S. Americans. As a Canadian, I can attest to using both systems, but generally we use a bit more metric than Americans. like for temperature, speed and weight and volume of groceries. But for body weight and height and building materials we're with the Americans, using imperial. Well mostly; we use 2x4's, 4x8 sheets, space studs at 16", but have metre wide shingles. One could write a book on the mixture of metric and imperial used in North America.

But since we're cyclists we have a unique set of standards based on how long we've been riding. I began cycling in the UK and everything was in inches except imported bikes from Europe. Coming to Canada and later resuming cycling in the 1970s, I saw Italian frames specified in centimetres measured from centre to centre instead of inches centre to top, cranks 165mm and 170mm instead of 6-1/2" and 6-3/4", which is close. And then metric size wheels and tires took over.Also when I went to buy better cycling shoes, they were some weird metric size instead of standard shoe size.
Likes For OLDYELLR:
Old 02-22-21, 03:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I like tons. More choices. 2240 lbs. 2207 lbs. 2000 lbs. (Almost as good, miles, land and sea.)

Really, I wish we'd sated on the track Carter started us on. If we had, it would have been solid metric the past 30 years. How simple!
Old 02-22-21, 03:53 PM
Bamicus

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
All metric for the bike
Old 02-22-21, 04:05 PM
OLDYELLR
My bikes became Vintage

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
@79pmooney Glad you brought up tons. I grew up with a ton being 2240 pounds, also known as the long ton or imperial ton. It derives from the British 14 pounds being 1 stone, 8 stones being 1 hundredweight (how is 112 pounds a "hundred" weight?) and 20 hundredweight being 1 ton (2240 pounds). That was too much memorizing for Americans, therefore the short ton (2000 pounds) which makes more sense. America was on its way to something like the metric system, but didn't make it. However, when Canada adopted the metric system we also adopted the metric ton, pronounced "ton", but spelled "tonne", which is 1000 kilograms or 2204.62 pounds, almost a stone's throw from a long ton, if you'll pardon the pun. I hate the Canadian "tonne" and pronounce it "tony" .

Last edited by OLDYELLR; 02-22-21 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-22-21, 04:25 PM
caribou22

Bikes: 2020 bridge club, 2014 MARINONI sl, surly 1x1, 91 GT Tachyon

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

A northern perspective
Likes For caribou22:
Old 02-22-21, 05:02 PM
leadholder

Bikes: Ritchey Road, 72 Windsor Pro, 94 Bridgestone MB1, 98 Kona Explosif, bunch of old Schwinns.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Both. I’m a architectural drafter by trade so imperial. Metric for my cycling hobby unless I’m monkeying wit an old schwinn then it’s imperial. Work on the car: metric and imperial. Home repairs: imperial. Most tool boxes in America have both imperial and metric tools combined but separated.
Old 02-22-21, 07:49 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by countyrider View Post

Originally Posted by spelger
you are supposed to order in whole units. order a liter, not a half a liter.
I come from the country that is world famous for beer drinking and has the highest beer consumption per capita and the standard beer jug is called 'half-liter' and if you ask for beer in a pub, you don't need to specify the size. The smaller size, 0.375 liter size is called small beer and is normally beer size for women or kids for lemonade.
Liter sized beer would go stale on most folks and would be too heavy to lift as a glass mug. Optimal size for beer to keep its quality once tapped is half a liter, that is if you know how to drink beer.
Old 02-22-21, 09:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It was done wrong back then, should have been forced on us and discarded the old. The funny thing about that time was that the soda industry introduced half gallon bottles of soda. Relatively quickly they went to 2 liter bottles. That must have been a pretty big screwup.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-22-21, 11:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,640 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
But nobody cares about a metric century.
Just like running a metric marathon. But people do run 5 and 10Ks. Go figure.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-23-21, 12:06 AM
countyrider

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Welcome to the forum. It was done wrong back then, should have been forced on us and discarded the old. The funny thing about that time was that the soda industry introduced half gallon bottles of soda. Relatively quickly they went to 2 liter bottles. That must have been a pretty big screwup.
Interesting because 1/2 gallon is only 1.69 liters so they would have lost money or would have to have raised the price. The funny thing is the only reason I remember all this is because I was a grad student in Economics at the time and a friend's mother said "You are studying economics....you must know a lot about the metric system".
Old 02-23-21, 10:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
We have one metric highway in the US. The 102 km from Tucson, AZ to Nogales, AZ on I-19 is metric. It was supposed to be a part of a signage test for converting to metric. It’s still there.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-23-21, 10:24 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 227 Posts
I always use imperial units in the US as that is the standard. However, I am fully metric literate after having lived many years overseas. I can pretty much go back and forth in each without any problem. In the US I ride in the imperial system but when I ride overseas then I ride in the metric system.

Someone mentioned earlier about carry large amounts (numerically) in the local currency. I often go from my home in Bangkok to Laos (great mtn biking) and 10 USD is roughly 93,000 Kip! Of course the paper bills are larger and come in denominations of 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10,000, 20,000, 50,000, 100,000 kip with the larger denomination bills only coming into existence in 2010.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.