Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Protecting bare spots

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Protecting bare spots

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 03:17 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Protecting bare spots

I'm going to take my Lotus Unique frame out of the oxalic acid bath in another day or so and wipe it here and there with a soft plastic mesh dishwashing pad. The the plan is to rinse it, put it in a baking soda bath for a bit, dry it off, blow out the tubes with compressed air and blow off the surface also. At that point I hope I'll have a clean rustless frame with a fair number of bare patches.
I don't want to get into trying to touch up the paint. Besides, this is practice for giving the same treatment to my Dawes Double Blue frame, which I DEFINITELY don't want to sully with inept touch-up paint. My plan is to accept and live with whatever patches of bare metal are left, which in both cases will amount to quite a fews scrapes and general abraded patches.
What to people do in such cases? My plan is to wipe the bare areas down with Boeshield and pretty much leave it at that, repeating as necessary if any new rust threatens. I understand it's a very good rust preventative--reportedly much better than WD-40. At some point, I might try to see if it's possible to wax over bare steel that's been previously Boeshielded and wiped off. May or may not work, but perhaps worth a try.
What do other people do to protect areas of bare metal in a way that doesn't look awful?
Old 08-09-09, 06:38 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Many use clear nail polish if they are not going to touch up the paint. It can be removed easily later with acetone (nail polish remover). You should use framesaver or similar for the inside of the frame.
Old 08-09-09, 08:18 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Well, I figured I'd rubber-band some plastic over the bottom bracket and headset openings, plug the little vent holes in the chainstays and seatstays, pour a cup of WD-40 (mainly because I inherited a gallon of it) down the seat tube, and rotate the frame for a while so it coats the insides of the tubes. It's so easy to do that that there's no point in NOT doing it. But I think it's basically a waste of time. I don't think tubes rust from the inside in any significant way, at least not in my area. I had a old Motobecane Mirage that I used to like to ride off a dock into a lake when I was a clueless young person. The tubes must have regularly filled with water. Out of curiosity, I scoped out the insides of the tubes pretty well with a light and a dentist's mirror when I tore it down a couple of years ago (this would have been almost 30 years after I used to ride it off the dock). No signs of rust anywhere.
Of course, if I'd ridden it into salt water that would probably have been a different and sadder story...

Last edited by jonwvara; 08-09-09 at 08:20 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 08-10-09, 09:17 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
wrk101 is right clear nailpolish will help seal the paint. I am not familiar with boesheild but I always use a good turtle wax on my frames when I am overhauling them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-10-09, 02:14 PM
Batman_3000

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wax.
Old 08-11-09, 03:36 PM
bikegeekmn
bikegeekmn

Bikes: Miyata710, 04' Fisher Cake, '63 Raleigh 3-speed sport, Giant FCR1, 89''Mita Quick Cross, Lotus Grand Prix Luxe, Nashbar Al. DT shifter road bike,

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most steel used on bike frames does'nt really rust too badly . I've had frames w/ bare steel patches and ran them for years without it getting bad . After washing the bike a coat of knock'er loose (penetrating oil) kept the rust away well.I would use penetrating oil inside the frame over WD-40 -it will not evaporate
Old 08-11-09, 03:57 PM
EraserGirl

Bikes: Armstrong, Robin Hood, Hercules, Phillips

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the main ingredient in WD-40 is mineral spirits, it's just gonna drive all the water away and evaporate. so i think framesaver is the better choice.
as for the external area, my 69 armstrong has a lot of bare patches from use, so far no rust just a lovely patina..but then it's dark green and the rust isn't as noticeable with dark colors. if it starts to rust, i am going for the nail polish. (warning don't use the nail polish near decals, it will melt them)
Old 08-11-09, 04:02 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 640 Posts
Bare steel will rust. May not rust fast where humidity is low, but come in contact with some water and salt, and BLAM! you'll have rust.

I can understand not wanting to touch-up or repaint, but something better than a plastic sleeve is needed, unless you plan on high maintenance.
Old 08-11-09, 06:27 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I can understand not wanting to touch-up or repaint, but something better than a plastic sleeve is needed, unless you plan on high maintenance.
What's this plastic sleeve which you speak? Not previously mentioned.
Old 08-11-09, 07:56 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
What's this plastic sleeve which you speak? Not previously mentioned.
Means I was in a hurry when I read post #3 the first time.
Old 08-11-09, 09:54 PM
ilmaestro
Coaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm a fan of simple nail polish. works for me.