Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You don’t have to get slower because you get older

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You don’t have to get slower because you get older

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 10:14 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Right now, I work east coast hours on the west coast, which means I'm able to take advantage of far more daylight into the fall than when I was on the east coast - being able to get 30-40 miles in two (or maybe three) weekend afternoons a week is great. That's nothing compared with the retired gentleman that I shared a few miles with yesterday, who talked about his metric century that day as if it were a regular occurrence. Sure, on fresh legs I outpaced him a bit going over a rise, but he probably has nearly 30 years on me (I'm 38) and 40 more miles under his bibs that day. I have no doubt I'd be sucking wind if I had caught up to him after most of a metric century.

I'll say that mileage definitely helps. I just beat my time up Old La Honda Rd (3mi, 8%) by 2 minutes last week, despite being 5ish lbs heavier and 18 months older than my last attempt. I also probably have over 1k more miles in my legs this year than I did at that point last year.
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 09-28-23, 11:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Going fast is fun. I never raced but have done thousands of club rides. Trying to hang on is fun. Pulling a group into the wind is fun. Sprinting against friends is a blast. Bench racing after a fast, brutal ride is fun.

Lots of great memories.
Exactly. And there's nothing like that feeling you get on the "Cycling God" days when every time you call down to the engine room for more speed, it's there, and you feel like you could ride forever - but you don't, because you know you can't.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-28-23, 11:20 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
2) VO2 max is not the be all end all for cycling performance. Much more important is power at threshold, and the ability to hold that threshold power for prolonged periods. While your maximum aerobic potential is coming down slightly each year with age, you can still increase your FTP as a percentage of your VO2 max.
That's a good point. Most of us are not needing to bang out a VO2max performance, but lots of activities call for threshold efforts.

One event that's likely pure threshold is the 40km time trial. And, among the best athletes, not that much is lost as age increases.

From Friel, Fast After 50, 2015

Inspirational.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-28-23, 11:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
I still want to challenge my self with events like the Ride Across Portugal, Haute Route Dolomites, and Dirty Kanza I refuse t acknowledge the Corporate imposed name)
This seems a rather odd (and OT) aside...And I must point out that the name was changed because it was offensive to the people of the Kaw Nation, from whom my state takes its name. If you understood the history of their treatment here, you might see the name change differently.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-28-23, 11:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
For me, while my days of racing crits are likely over,
There's this, though. It somewhat contradicts the thread title. You might be competitive in an age grouped crit. Most likely not in a open crit.
Old 09-28-23, 11:55 AM
seypat

The thread reminds me of a conversation I was having with a woman once about the meaning of the word competitive. For her, and others it means doing all you can do to be the best you can be. To me it actually means having a chance to win/place in an actual event/race/tournament/etc. Different meanings for different people.
Old 09-28-23, 11:55 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Oh boy, Is 60 the new 40 again? I'll be 62 next month, and I get slower every year, and have for well over a decade, and it gets more pronounced every year.
Old 09-28-23, 11:59 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
......................................... and Dirty Kanza I refuse t acknowledge the Corporate imposed name) ....................................
..... Corporate imposed name ...... *Unbound Gravel* ???"

"...... One day after Cummins left the organization, Unbound Gravel’s parent company Life Time issued a statement confirming it would be rebranding. “We have been working throughout this year on options for a name change,” the statement said. “Our event name wasn’t created with ill-intent, and while we have worked with and received support from the Kaw Nation, we also understand that our name should not cause hurt. This process does take time, and we want to make this change in the correct manner. Please know that we will share progress as we work through this process.” ...............................
................................New name, new brandingOn Thursday, Life Time announced the new name of the event. The new name also came with new branding, an homage to the Flint hills of Kansas. Unbound says its new name is: “About self-discovery. We will come undone, reinvigorated, and undone again each time we’re out on those hills.........."

above taken from >>>> https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...bound%20Gravel.

IMO, using the ORIGINAL NAME is DISRESPECTING the Kaw Nation

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 09-28-23 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 09-28-23, 12:08 PM
seypat

You seem to imply that there is some problem with wanting to be fast, strong. I have no issue with people who do not want to be competitive, and do not care how fast they ride. This discussion was intended to be about it still being possible to be fast as competive even as we age.

For me, while my days of racing crits are likely over, I still want to challenge my self with events like the Ride Across Portugal, Haute Route Dolomites, and Dirty Kanza I refuse t acknowledge the Corporate imposed name) Racing motivates me to get of the couch, and gives a sense of accomplishment. I get that is not appealing to others, and there are many other rewards from riding a bike.

My simple point is that age shouldn’t deter people from pursuing their goals.
Speaking of offensive, I find it offensive that a poster with a star beside the name(moderator, correct?) would put a political statement in a post despite it being against the rules. You should clean that up before it elicits more political discussion. Too late.
Old 09-28-23, 12:10 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Indeed! You just need to respect your body's limitation and stretch more. The stem usually goes up with the age
Not universally true (although, in fairness, you did say "usually"). At 72, my position on the bike is pretty much the same as when I started racing, at 15. And as far as I can tell, cycling, especially flat-backed in my aero bars, has always supplied all the stretching I need, so I've never felt the need to do any stretching exercises.

Whenever I've strained my lower back by, e.g., moving furniture, I know that a couple of days of riding will almost always ease the discomfort.
Old 09-28-23, 12:24 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The thread reminds me of a conversation I was having with a woman once about the meaning of the word competitive. For her, and others it means doing all you can do to be the best you can be. To me it actually means having a chance to win/place in an actual event/race/tournament/etc. Different meanings for different people.
I'm not beating anyone that is truly athletic.

So, I compete with myself.

Even if I was an "athlete" - taking 20+ years off the bike & becoming a big ole blob, then joining an age group type race & matching up against athletes that have been doing athlete stuff their entire lives...

I ain't winning sheeeet.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 09-28-23, 03:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
There's this, though. It somewhat contradicts the thread title. You might be competitive in an age grouped crit. Most likely not in a open crit.
I interpreted OP to mean “I no longer want to crash and break body parts in a crit”.

Last edited by terrymorse; 09-29-23 at 09:57 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-28-23, 03:54 PM
CoogansBluff

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

Broke my PR today for Elk Mountain Scenic Highway by a minute and a half. At 64, I’m breaking PR’s frequently, and am climbing about as fast as I ever have. .
Talk about your training, a typical week, etc. What has helped you maintain and improve into your 60s?
Old 09-28-23, 04:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
All this talk about retirement and the near-unlimited time to ride is making me envious.

I am almost 50 and noticeably faster than I was at 40. Back then I was even more out of shape and did not even own a bike.
Old 09-28-23, 05:02 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This seems a rather odd (and OT) aside...And I must point out that the name was changed because it was offensive to the people of the Kaw Nation, from whom my state takes its name. If you understood the history of their treatment here, you might see the name change differently.
Did anyone from the Kaw Nation complain? I didn’t see anyone protesting when I raced it as Dirty Kanza. It’s the same root as the state’s name; are they offended by the name of the State?

The ‘Dirty” reference is in no way intended to offend. It’s A reference to the fact that it was a very hard ride on dirt roads. If anything the name honored the heritage of the place in which the race was held.

and the post by Old Try Guy appears to confirm that the name was not a problem when it was a locally run grassroots event, was changed after Lfetime sports bought the event,and was precipitated by a comment by the original race founder that had nothing to do with the Kaw Nation.

in fact the Kaw Nation, via its chair person in response to the name change petition said they were proud of the name,and that it honored their heritage. https://velo.outsideonline.com/news/...6-9268d2933332
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 09-29-23 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-28-23, 05:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Talk about your training, a typical week, etc. What has helped you maintain and improve into your 60s?
The biggest difference for me is more time to train, and the opportunity to spend time in the Mountains.

The program is basically 5 days on with Monday and Friday being rest days, intervals on Tuesday and Thursday. Then an endurance ride on Wednesday. And a hard group ride or race on the weekend, and and another endurance ride on other weekend day.

the program also has rhythm of 3 progressively harder weeks before a recovery week the 4 week, then starting the cycle again with another 4 week block

Because my goals for the year were long events with lots of climbing, the intervals have been mostly focused on raising ftp, so lots of tempo, sweet spot, and steady states, and just a smattering of shorter intervals.

300,000 feet plus of climbing this year has definitely helped

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 09-28-23 at 05:26 PM.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 09-28-23, 05:32 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

So when I was doing mass start USA cycling races as a Cat 3, racing Masters was typically harder than racing my category. When you race Cat 3 events you’re only racing other Cat 3’s . When you race Masters it’s open to all cats, so you have cat 1’s and pros. Racing at Masters Nationals, I’ve raced against ex pro tour racers,and former Olympians. Way harder than a local Cat. 3 crit.

And I never intended this thread to be about what a great bike racer I am. Obviously not getting past Cat 3 I never set the world on fire.

it’s about not letting age limit what you can still accomplish

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 09-28-23 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-28-23, 05:42 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
. That is because between the age of 45 and 80, athletes lose half their capacity to extract oxygen from breathing, and nothing is going to make up for that. ...
Athletes who continue to train consistently throughout their 50s and 60s barely see any drop at all in their VO2 max. Same goes for their maximal HR. Inevitably there will be a decline at some point, but the decline can certainly be slowed down, which will be proven by the next generation of older athletes.

At 55 I’m not expecting to beat competitive 25 year olds that are training seriously, but I am faster than I was in my 40s and my VO2 max has been stable for the last 5 years. My max HR has also remained the same and has only dropped about 10 bpm from my mid 20s.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-28-23, 05:58 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I interpreted oP to mean “I no longer want to crash and break body parts in a crit”.
exactly. While, I’m still thinking about doing some of the local training crits, when I factor in that they don’t really help me with preparing for my goal events and the risk of injury, it doesn’t really fit for me to be racing crits at this point.
Old 09-28-23, 07:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
the 35/45+ is the fastest race behind the P/1/2 in SCNCA every time. For sure faster than cat 3. I won from some solo breaks as 3 (in 2019). The ain't happening in 35/45+ or the pro race. I need some other horses with me.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-29-23, 12:05 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Even Mark Cavendish won 4 TDF races at 37
Old 09-29-23, 06:40 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I'm okay with slowing down as I age. Frankly, I no longer have the discipline (and perhaps the ability) that it would take to get faster.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-29-23, 06:41 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I didn't get/feel slower either until I hit my '70's. But, you are going to get slower. However, your attitude is the one to have. "Do not go gentle into that good night." I never will, regardless of the numbers.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-29-23, 09:05 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Obviously as we age, our physiological limits decrease. However, for the vast majority of us, we operate so far below our maximum theoretical capability, we can still get faster, stronger by capturing a greater percentage of maximum capacity.
Broke my PR today for Elk Mountain Scenic Highway by a minute and a half. At 64, I’m breaking PR’s frequently, and am climbing about as fast as I ever have. The data shows that I’m faster at 64 than 50. I don’t have data from my 20’s and 30’s, but I’d bet my 30 year old self was a bit faster sprinter, but I could kick his butt on a very long ride with sustained climbs.
My times in an absolute sense are pedestrian, but in a relative sense, with more time to train, and diligently following a training plan, I’m still getting faster.
With the tools and knowledge we now have, it’s definitely possible to continue to get faster, at an age our parents were retiring to their rocking chairs.
All a matter of personal perspective, and timing...
Not to discourage, but aging is inevitable. Looking to max what one has, at any time, laudable and a positive way forward.
But slowing down is inevitable.
I'm much 'slower' than I was 10 yrs ago, and at that time slower than before that...
But that's OK! It's not a total collapse or surrender to the inevitable. It is still 'pushing boundaries' (personal). At the same time as loving every moment.
I think my level of 'Appreciation' & 'Love' is way higher than it's been at any point in my past.
I appreciate my past achievements and at the same time explore who I am, now.
But do 'keep pushing', the worth is in the effort as much, if not more, than the result.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-29-23, 11:36 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Did anyone from the Kaw Nation complain? I didn’t see anyone protesting when I raced it as Dirty Kanza. It’s the same root as the state’s name; are they offended by the name of the State?

The ‘Dirty” reference is in no way intended to offend. It’s A reference to the fact that it was a very hard ride on dirt roads. If anything the name honored the heritage of the place in which the race was held.

and the post by Old Try Guy appears to confirm that the name was not a problem when it was a locally run grassroots event, was changed after Lfetime sports bought the event,and was precipitated by a comment by the original race founder that had nothing to do with the Kaw Nation.

in fact the Kaw Nation, via its chair person in response to the name change petition said they were proud of the name,and that it honored their heritage. https://velo.outsideonline.com/news/...6-9268d2933332
The LINK ABOVE was dated April 20, 2020
The LINK in my post is October 29, 2020 --- 6 months so possibly a change of opinion ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.