Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You don’t have to get slower because you get older

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You don’t have to get slower because you get older

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-23, 07:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Indeed but that is as nothing compared to what sadly befalls many by the time they reach (or don’t) their 60s
I look at it this way, sure I am slower than during my peak in my middle 30s, but when I compare myself to other males my age who are not active, I am miles and years ahead.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-18-23, 02:32 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Indeed but that is as nothing compared to what sadly befalls many by the time they reach (or don’t) their 60s
It is best to focus on things that you have some control over and aerobic fitness is one of them. I have read that VO2 max is a very good predictor of all cause mortality in older people.
Old 10-18-23, 05:45 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It is best to focus on things that you have some control over and aerobic fitness is one of them. I have read that VO2 max is a very good predictor of all cause mortality in older people.
Yeah although diminishing returns. Pretty bad news at the bottom quartile…
https://peterattiamd.com/how-does-vo...ith-longevity/
Old 10-18-23, 12:46 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
As it happens I’m reading his book at the moment, but not got too far into it yet.

Diminishing returns is okay with me. I just want to be doing whatever I can with limited time. Getting slower on my bike wouldn’t really bother me in terms of ego, but it would be an indicator of declining physical health and that is something that would concern me.
Old 10-18-23, 04:31 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts

Using many of Peter’s principles, I went from the bottom 5% to the top 5% (or better) in about 4 years.

Starting out at 340#’s, A1c 12.2/blood sugars in the 3-400 range, BP 185/120, kidney issues, eye issues…

VO2 max? Probably less than 20, I couldn’t walk up stairs.

Doc gave me 2 years or so before a major event or death.

Peter and some other docs - Volek, Phinney - lay out a path to fix these issues.

Fast forward 4 years-
182#, A1c/BP normal, kidney and eyes are good, NO MEDICATION, and VO2 max is sitting at 52.

Now I have to tell the docs I’m diabetic…in remission, but diabetic.

So hell yes, VO2 max, as a result of aerobic exercise, is flat out going to change you trajectory in major ways.
Old 10-18-23, 05:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by ppg677
I'm 46 and breaking all my PRs this summer. But I also noticed my max heart rate is getting lower and lower every year.
Because as one exercises and rides along the same routes, one's body gets more efficient, right? It is a good sign to go faster at lower heart rate.
Old 10-19-23, 03:21 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Because as one exercises and rides along the same routes, one's body gets more efficient, right? It is a good sign to go faster at lower heart rate.
Curious about what they mean by max HR. Max they see in the data - yeah absolutely. But Max based on physical sense of “can’t go any higher or I’ll burst an aorta” - I wouldn’t expect that to drop while getting faster.
Old 10-19-23, 07:22 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
There may be a big difference between the max heart rate that occurs on a ride, compared to the maximum possible heart rate. The maximum possible requires special conditions and a rider intentionally pushing as hard as possible for a short time. When I was in forties, I could hit 200 bpm, trying to keep from getting dropped in a pack. At 70, I've hit 179 while pedaling standing as hard as I can up a steep but short climb. Normally, I'd do that same climb at 160, maybe less. If you're pedaling at an endurance level, heart rate will become lower, as fitness is gained.
Old 10-19-23, 07:35 AM
choddo

Yeah exactly my point. I can hit 180 on a trainer in a sprint but it feels quite uncomfortable and I would crash straight into a tree if I tried that on the road.
Old 10-19-23, 08:03 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Yeah exactly my point. I can hit 180 on a trainer in a sprint but it feels quite uncomfortable and I would crash straight into a tree if I tried that on the road.
It can be difficult to reach your full max HR while cycling, and can take repeated prolonged full gas efforts - typically. Like 3-5 min full gas efforts - for me I only see max numbers on the 3rd effort.
Old 10-19-23, 08:22 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by Jughed
It can be difficult to reach your full max HR while cycling, and can take repeated prolonged full gas efforts - typically. Like 3-5 min full gas efforts - for me I only see max numbers on the 3rd effort.
Yeah that makes sense. I only ever see numbers over about 173 towards the end of a tough intervals session or zwift race with multiple hills or attempted breaks.
Old 10-19-23, 09:19 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I'm only 53. I've loved riding bikes all my life, but just started to focus on avid cycling the past six or seven years. My goal now is simply to keep riding as long as possible. I kind of doubt I'll ever get faster, but perhaps I can keep from getting much slower.

I spent last week at the Huntsman World Senior Games. It involves thousands of 50+ year-old athletes competing in more than 30 activities. Some of them are really good. Many are not very competitive, but at least they're out doing active stuff. One thing that really impressed me was the triathlon on my last day there. I'm the runner on a triathlon relay team, with my friend and his wife taking the swimming and riding. At 8:00 AM on a chilly October morning when I was bundled up in sweat pants, a hoodie, and beanie cap, dozens of seniors (some of them in their 80s) slipped into wet suits and prepared to jump into a reservoir for an open water swim. Of course, after swimming, they rode their bikes and then ran. You need some grit to take on this kind of thing, especially when you're at a point in your life when nobody would fault you for sleeping late and spending most of your time in a recliner. I watched one 70-something year-old lady cross the finish line on her first ever triathlon and overheard her talking with a friend about the experience. She noted that "you can do more than you think you can." Indeed.

Here's to old folks riding bikes!

Last edited by Broctoon; 10-19-23 at 11:42 AM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-19-23, 09:34 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I spent last week at the Huntsman World Senior Games. It involves thousands of 50+ year-old athletes competing in more than 30 activities. Some of them are really good.
That's for sure. My long time cycling buddy and mentor just "aged-up" to the 85-89 group, so he went to Huntsman this year to race. He was yelling at me to go, too, but I didn't think I had the fitness to do well. When I first started riding regularly, my buddy was faster than me, but he cajoled me to train harder, and soon I was faster than him.

He entered the hill climb, road race, criterium, and time trial. He won 3 golds, one silver, and the overall champion medal.

He's a great example of how to age well.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-19-23, 09:41 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Curious about what they mean by max HR. Max they see in the data - yeah absolutely. But Max based on physical sense of “can’t go any higher or I’ll burst an aorta” - I wouldn’t expect that to drop while getting faster.
This: max recorded HR on the route(s) where ppg677 is setting new PRs.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-19-23, 09:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

He entered the hill climb, road race, criterium, and time trial. He won 3 golds, one silver, and the overall champion medal.
Geez, what a slacker.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-19-23, 10:29 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

That's for sure. My long time cycling buddy and mentor just "aged-up" to the 85-89 group, so he went to Huntsman this year to race. He was yelling at me to go, too, but I didn't think I had the fitness to do well. When I first started riding regularly, my buddy was faster than me, but he cajoled me to train harder, and soon I was faster than him.

That's great! I saw your friend at the races. I entered the hill climb, crit, road race, and team tri, but I skipped the TT. The games are really about friendship, active lifestyles, and good sportsmanship. I never saw any cutthroat "winning is the most important thing" attitudes, just lots of folks having a great time and looking after each other while pushing ourselves to ride our best.

I brought home three silvers and one gold. (Just don't ask how many entered in my division and age bracket! Sometimes the field is so small we effectively get participation trophies for showing up.)

I was really impressed with how well some of these guys (and ladies) rode!

Me in the hill climb:

In the crit (I'm center frame, in all black):

And the road race (center frame again):

So much fun!
Old 10-19-23, 10:55 AM
choddo

We can see the silver medal winner in the hill climb back there! stunning scenery too.
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-19-23, 11:23 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

We can see the silver medal winner in the hill climb back there! stunning scenery too.
That might be someone who finished the climb and is now shuttling back to the bottom where our cars are parked. Also, they did staggered starts, TT style. But we can pretend I’m beating that guy.

The settings for all the races were really beautiful. It’s centered in St. George, Utah. Weather was perfect all week as well.

While there (on a day I didn’t have a race) I did a casual ride through Zion National Park. That was outstanding.

Last edited by Broctoon; 10-19-23 at 11:36 AM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-19-23, 12:19 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts

That's a nice bike!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 10-20-23, 01:26 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
One of the joys of retirement is that one can both sleep late and ride (or do something else that's active) a lot.
Old 10-20-23, 04:14 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
One of the joys of retirement is that one can both sleep late and ride (or do something else that's active) a lot.
And take afternoon naps. Like a pro.

Old 10-25-23, 12:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Congrats on the new PRs. I have similar results only at age 74. My PRs have been at the velodrome generated faster lap times more frequently using bigger gears and high cadence. That requires more strength as well as more oxygen throughput and ATP production. Nutrition has played a key part of the improving strength and blood metrics that result in more speed.

My younger self, with the knowledge and experience I have today, would beat the crap out of me. We have numerous older teenage men at our gym. They are monsters. They know how to train, eat and recover and they have raging hormones. The same is true in our track training group with my coach. We have a couple of juniors and juniors turned pro who are scary fast.

The question in my mind is where will the super teens at the gym and track be at age 74? My hope is that they will be substantially better than me. My point is that for me, it is very hard and takes a lot of focus and perseverance to keep improving in the 7th decade and beyond.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-05-23, 04:44 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
I remember my sprinting legs when I was doing road bicycle race at 18 years old. I could sprint, recover for 30 seconds and then spring again during a race. Rince and repeat 10-15 times.
fast forward 30 years later I have 2-3 full power sprints before just looking at the pack running away from me.
Old 11-09-23, 05:43 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
I remember my sprinting legs when I was doing road bicycle race at 18 years old. I could sprint, recover for 30 seconds and then spring again during a race. Rince and repeat 10-15 times.
fast forward 30 years later I have 2-3 full power sprints before just looking at the pack running away from me.
Sounds like a country song: “ I’m not as good as once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was”
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 11-10-23, 06:10 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
At the fresh young age of 47, I'm actually in better shape and faster than when I was 20+ years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.