Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Non club and casual riders, speak up

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Non club and casual riders, speak up

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-23, 09:20 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
It would greatly sadden me to give up group rides due to me not fitting in with the group any longer due to pace or distances that I could no longer endure. But I've never been a group rider, I've been a solo rider all my life. I did not have anyone to ride with as a teen, and into adulthood the possibility to join group rides did not present itself either. I know nothing different and have no desire to change now that I'm nearly 60.

The points given in post #2 pretty well sum up my thoughts on how I like to enjoy this hobby. Some of the suggestions that threads like this are a crutch for people to prop themselves up on as their performance may decline over the years are preposterous.

Old 12-01-23, 09:29 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
IDK, there's a lot of groupthink and conformity in the more sportive cycling groups that I've encountered. Some of it is understandable, i.e., lycra and slim fit riding gear are more aero. I've mostly ridden solo but for years I considered myself part of the sporty crowd. But now that I'm older and slower and more likely to have a bag or two on my non drop bar bike and wear non-aero clothes, I've encountered sporting cyclists who've basically ignored my friendly hello and wave.

And there's a reason why the whole mountain bike scene grew the way it did, as a counterculture to the stereotypical conformist roadie. And in a lot of ways it's still like that.

Not that it bothers me - I'm too old for that crap and have always been independently-minded. But I do think it's there.
As I said: projecting.

And you're too early. Waving threads usually start showing up in March.

All the MTB people I rode with in Maryland starting in the early '80's were also road racing guys. Except for a couple of dirt bike riders. They could handle their bikes on trails like nothing I'd ever seen. Unbelievable.

Yes, MTB guys have a tendency to sneer at road riders for some reason. (Have, or had; I doubt that it still happens much.) Again, I've never understood it, unless it's the usual human proclivity for seeing another, slightly different group as a monolith of subhuman alien outsiders.

Whenever any American male congratulates himself on being independently minded (I include myself), I remember, in Charles Portis's True Grit, Rooster Cogburn saying to LaBoeuf, the former Texas Ranger, "If I ever meet a Texas Ranger who doesn't say he once drank water out of a muddy hoofprint, I'll shake his hand and buy him a five-cent Daniel Webster see-gar."

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-01-23 at 09:38 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-01-23, 09:46 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've never understood this tendency to assume that riders are going around judging others by their bikes. It happens with cars, probably, but bikes---not in my experience.

Most riders, I would guess, admire people who are on bikes that are clearly set up for touring, errand running, etc. It's possible, I suppose, that some guys with expensive bikes judge others with bikes that are almost but not quite as expensive, but even imagining that is a struggle. Thinking otherwise might simply be projecting.
Originally Posted by Trav1s
I agree that most are in the first group. I also have encounterd hard core cycling people that are very similar to the hardcore car guys. The parallels are incredible...

In either arena, I'm from the "I researched, I built it, and I enjoy it" school. Often people ask why and my response is simply because I can and I enjoy it. My Quick 1 is an example of this as is the Subaru Outback XT that sits in the garage...
With hobbies/sports that involve buying things there is always going to be a certain amount of snobbery. It's a very small percentage in bicycling partly because you can't buy your way to the front. Anyone who has been riding long enough knows the bike is only a small part of the equation. I've been in the mountains when a friend on a 28 pound bike dropped everyone on their sub-17 pound bikes.
A pro mountain biker used to come on our Sunday rides and hang with the fast guys while riding his mountain bike.

I've never had the latest gear, always a bit overweight and fredly with my baggy jerseys and non-pro look. Yet nearly everyone has always been friendly to me on the road, including pro racers and former Olympians. I've seen a continental pro stop and help a stranger fix a flat. I've been encouraged by many strangers while I am struggling on a climb. I almost always wave or smile or say hi to other riders, regardless of what they are riding. If someone doesn't wave back I get over it quickly.

It's like when I rode dirt bikes. I couldn't ride with the fast guys, never had the latest stuff, and probably looked a bit out of place. Still, others were always supportive, helpful, and friendly. If anyone ever knocked my bike or gear or ability I sure can't recall it now.
Old 12-01-23, 09:52 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
As I said: projecting.

And you're too early. Waving threads usually start showing up in March.

All the MTB people I rode with in Maryland starting in the early '80's were also road racing guys. Except for a couple of dirt bike riders. They could handle their bikes on trails like nothing I'd ever seen. Unbelievable.

Yes, MTB guys have a tendency to sneer at road riders for some reason. (Have, or had; I doubt that it still happens much.) Again, I've never understood it, unless it's the usual human proclivity for seeing another, slightly different group as a monolith of subhuman alien outsiders.

Whenever any American male congratulates himself on being independently minded (I include myself), I remember, in Charles Portis's True Grit, Rooster Cogburn saying to LaBoeuf, the former Texas Ranger, "If I ever meet a Texas Ranger who doesn't say he once drank water out of a muddy hoofprint, I'll shake his hand and buy him a five-cent Daniel Webster see-gar."
Whatever.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 12-01-23, 10:03 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts

even though I became a roadie - I still yell ‘DAMN ROADIES’ at almost every opportunity when I drive past road riders lol

I will display a grin or smile so they will realize I’m joking - but the last time I did this I could determine it was not well received so I slowed further and identified myself as a biker … (then received a smile in return) … and this particular time it paid huge dividends as I met some new area bikers that showed me the connections and links to marry the nearby out-and-back bike path to the area roads and dirt/gravel roads to create some great multi-surface loops

Last edited by t2p; 12-01-23 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-01-23, 10:09 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It took 4 pages, but the OP is finally getting his answer to why people don't post more. As my grandmother used to say, "Same old 6 & 7."

Last edited by seypat; 12-01-23 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-01-23, 10:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Lycra, conformity, expensive, ignored waves.... Inverse snobbery has forever been a staple of BF.
Old 12-01-23, 11:00 AM
big john

Originally Posted by seypat
It took 4 pages, but the OP is finally getting his answer to why people don't post more. As my grandmother used to say, "Same old 6 & 7."
What do you mean by this? People are posting and much of the thread has been interesting and even entertaining.
Old 12-01-23, 11:45 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
What do you mean by this? People are posting and much of the thread has been interesting and even entertaining.
Here is the OP and the follow up from the thread starter. As usual, the thread is devolving into a "us vs them, your wrong I'm right" thread. People can't help themselves. They have to try to correct others and set them straight to their way of thinking time and time again. It gets old. Opinions are like Aholes. Good or bad, everyone has one. Just let it go and enjoy the discussion.

There are a lot of club riders, who thoroughly enjoy that activity, on this forum. I know that there are those who enjoy riding more solo, or casual cycling, who don't say much in this forum. How about speaking up and telling us your experiences and what you enjoy and why? I bet at least half of this sub forum meets this definition. Thanks so much.
[QUOTE]
I really enjoy reading the posts of everyone, including what I might call the "super riders" who work hard to improve their speed and endurance and tell us about it. I was just hoping to encourage some of the other folks who ride in different styles and different places to share with us their styles and places. I hope no one has taken affront at my posting this. I had a bit to do with starting this subforum almost 20 years ago, and I want everyone to enjoy it.
Old 12-01-23, 11:55 AM
big john

Originally Posted by seypat
Here is the OP and the follow up from the thread starter. As usual, the thread is devolving into a "us vs them, your wrong I'm right" thread.
Funny, I didn't see it that way at all. I will admit to posting some snark earlier but it had nothing to do with the way people ride.
Old 12-01-23, 02:14 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I generally ride alone. Sometimes I ride with a friend or with some older members of a local cycling club. I like cruising along at whatever speed suits me. I'm never trying to "improve" my cycling skills, which really means going as fast as I can. Nothing wrong with riding as fast as you can, it's just not for me.
Likes For jackb:
Old 12-03-23, 01:46 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
I mostly ride alone. My friends who also ride either don’t want to go the distances I go, don’t want to go the speed I go, prefer to ride alone, or (in the case of one very competitive triathlete) I can’t go the speed *they* go - but she will actually ride with me, so there’s that.

I ride a couple of times a month with a local veteran’s group who do no drop coffee shop rides twice a week. Very slow, casual rides. That’s my only regular group ride - We sponsor an annual charity ride to benefit mental health.

Otherwise, I’m working out, training for a goal/aspiration race or ride, or just getting my head straight before/after work.
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 12-03-23, 02:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
My experience has been generally unpleasant when riding with groups. All that chattering, and shouting ‘car back’ all the lime. And the waving of the arms pointing out holes and other obstructions.
Besides all that, time flys by way too quickly when riding with others. No time to analyze aches, pains and distance to go.

Old 12-03-23, 02:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Funny, I didn't see it that way at all. I will admit to posting some snark earlier but it had nothing to do with the way people ride.
People see what they want to see. It makes life less complicated. See?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-03-23, 04:13 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
First of all, I dislike the phrase, "casual cyclist." Would you like to go for a drive with a casual motorist or a flight with a casual pilot? "Casual" has some unfortunate connotations. Aside from these, I certainly would not call someone a "casual motorist" just because he or she does not own a 1961 XK-E or go racing on weekends. There has to be a better term for the non-sporting transportation participant, which is what I am. The bicycle is often less hassle than driving, and convenience is important. I can park the bike in places where I would have to circle the block for fifteen minutes to find a parking space. I'm OK with using it when the roads are too salty or icy (can't get studded car tires for my car, but can for the bike.) And, of course, it is fun. I live and work inside and riding somewhere helps me reconnect with nature. I'm hypercompetitive at work so like to chill otherwise. Using the bike to commute, shop, or go to a restaurant, sporting event or theater is less of a hassle than driving. It's interesting to read about cycling for sport, but is not something I'm interested in. I do drive for recreation, so maybe I have just flipped the usual valences on car and bike. Basically, it's all good.

Last edited by PaulH; 12-23-23 at 07:19 AM.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 12-03-23, 06:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
There has to be a better term for the non-sporting transportation participant, which is what I am.
A “recreational rider” or a “utility rider” in your case perhaps?
Old 12-03-23, 10:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Ya-butt, would you like to be driven by a recreational driver or utility driver? How about a Sport Utility driver?

I remember a thread that this subject to death last year. I would think that anyone that is not a categorized or professional cyclist would be - and I agree with you - a recreational cyclist. I know I fit that description. Serious cyclist versus humorous? Ok, I am more of a serious recreational rider, with a sense of humor.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-03-23, 11:24 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Well... If we're not pro's, does that make us amateur cyclists? I know I've experienced my share of amateur car drivers
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-04-23, 04:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Ya-butt, would you like to be driven by a recreational driver or utility driver? How about a Sport Utility driver?

I remember a thread that this subject to death last year. I would think that anyone that is not a categorized or professional cyclist would be - and I agree with you - a recreational cyclist. I know I fit that description. Serious cyclist versus humorous? Ok, I am more of a serious recreational rider, with a sense of humor.
A recreational driver might be someone out for a Sunday morning drive in their sports car. Not unlike a recreational cyclist going for a ride just for fun.

A utility driver might be a taxi driver or delivery driver, or just someone commuting to work. Basically driving primarily as a means of transport from A to B.

We can also be multiple types of rider/driver.
Old 12-04-23, 11:04 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Or Avid cyclist, runner, fisherman...

Not that anyone needs to be classified - but many of us fit into the Avid arena.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 12-04-23, 11:14 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I consider myself a casual cyclist. I also consider myself an avid cyclist. It's all semantics.

I ride as fast as I can without working too hard. And I'm no longer a young man. So by roadie standards I'm pretty slow. Having no desire to work hard enough to get much faster I consider myself "casual."

But I ride as often as I can and love to be on the bike. So I think I'm avid and casual at the same time.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-04-23, 11:15 AM
big john

Originally Posted by jon c.
I consider myself a casual cyclist. I also consider myself an avid cyclist. It's all semantics.

I ride as fast as I can without working too hard. And I'm no longer a young man. So by roadie standards I'm pretty slow. Having no desire to work hard enough to get much faster I consider myself "casual."

But I ride as often as I can and love to be on the bike. So I think I'm avid and casual at the same time.
Cavid? Asual?
Old 12-04-23, 11:34 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Cavid? Asual?
Intensely casual.

Indifferently avid.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-04-23, 12:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

A recreational driver might be someone out for a Sunday morning drive in their sports car. Not unlike a recreational cyclist going for a ride just for fun.

A utility driver might be a taxi driver or delivery driver, or just someone commuting to work. Basically driving primarily as a means of transport from A to B.

We can also be multiple types of rider/driver.
Oh now it’s getting way too complicated, owning a sports car, SUV and sedan. I feel like Sybil; a sporting, recreational, utility driver.

Butt-then, I have a racing, mountain and endurance bike.

Maybe that’s why I am an ENTP. Argh!

Last edited by rsbob; 12-04-23 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-04-23, 01:28 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
finally, a thread that conforms to all the rules and biases of the forum admin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.