Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Bike wheelset suggestion

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Bike wheelset suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 04:43 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76

I am left with trying to model how a simple statement relying on the physics involved can get so much pushback on a cycling forum. My guess that it involves a lack of experience (either with disparate wheel weights, or mass-start competition cycling), or a mis-understanding of the measuring or modeling involved (especially involving simplifying assumptions), or simply internet feral-pack behavior (not meaning yours!).

Heavy wheels feel sluggish because they are! Trust your senses, everybody.
Not this old bs again!

The physics of accelerating a wheel is pretty simple and it has been modelled without any need for simplification. Swiss Side did this modelling when working with Ineos and concluded that wheel mass is only significant for climbing, not acceleration.

From past experience I’m not expecting you to accept reality, but it might be useful for others who might be curious.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-08-24, 05:38 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Intake
PeteHski Stiffness doesnt play a bigger role to this? my stock wheels vs RZ has 200 grams diff. which is nothing

I read that a light wheel accelerate faster but you have to push to keep the power cause its deaccelerate faster / compared to a heavier wheel .

SO if i upgrade to RZ i will have stiffer / more durable wheel and maybe better riding quality, but not faster lol
Basically that is the harsh truth of it. 200g will be worth just a handful of seconds on a long climb and practically nothing on acceleration. The improved stiffness might translate into sharper handling. If you really want to see a measurable performance gain, then you need to focus on aero unless you are only bothered about climbing.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-08-24, 08:38 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Not this old bs again!

The physics of accelerating a wheel is pretty simple and it has been modelled without any need for simplification. Swiss Side did this modelling when working with Ineos and concluded that wheel mass is only significant for climbing, not acceleration.

From past experience I’m not expecting you to accept reality, but it might be useful for others who might be curious.
Yes, this old bs again. Eat your fill. You'll be better informed, if not smarter.

Or, you could try some heavy wheels sometime - that might be more, um, palatable. And it would make you more credible, too.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 02-09-24, 04:16 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Yes, this old bs again. Eat your fill. You'll be better informed, if not smarter.

Or, you could try some heavy wheels sometime - that might be more, um, palatable. And it would make you more credible, too.
How about you inform yourself better? Start with podcast Episide 4 below, which explains the reality for you. Wheel weight plays a small part when climbing, but wheel rotational inertia is a third order insignificant factor, even for crit racing with repeated hard accelerations.

https://www.swissside.com/pages/podcast

Heavy wheels are a relative term when discussing half decent road bikes. My current wheels (DT Swiss ERC 1400) weigh 1477g, so not heavy or super light.

I could switch to their lightest climbing wheels (PRC 1100 Mon Chasseral) at 1266g, saving 211g. That’s just half of the 450g difference Swiss Side used in their study linked above. I would gain just a few seconds on a long steady mountain climb and would be slower everywhere else from the increased aero drag. So no thanks.

You can believe what you like about wheel weight, but the laws of physics are pretty well understood in 2024. Look at the wheels modern pros are using and you will observe how they nearly always trade wheel weight for aero, even when there is a lot of climbing. The only valid use case for ultra-lightweight wheels is pure hill climb racing. For crits you are far better off on heavier aero wheels. The weight penalty is simply not big enough to matter in comparison to the aero gains.

The OP is talking about saving 200g on a wheel set. This is going to make no significant difference to the performance. That doesn’t mean it isn’t worth upgrading because there are otter factors that might lead to an overall improvement eg stiffness, durability, aero, wider internal rim. But weight certainly isn’t a big factor here.

My advice to the OP would be to get a decent quality set of carbon 40-50 mm deep aero wheels, matched to whatever tyre width they are using, preferably 28-30 mm if they have clearance. They will be reasonably light anyway and measurably faster in most situations.

Last edited by PeteHski; 02-09-24 at 04:35 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-09-24, 04:57 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by bblair
Great Chris Horner Youtube video called, "Don't Spend Money to Go Faster," or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCjg...hyaXMgaG9ybmVy
….and this too is a good perspective. There are no performance miracles on offer with a wheel upgrade. 200g weight saving is not going to transform your acceleration, 😂
Old 02-09-24, 10:23 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
….and this too is a good perspective. There are no performance miracles on offer with a wheel upgrade. 200g weight saving is not going to transform your acceleration, 😂
No sure about you folks, but there is not a lot of acceleration on a 50 mile ride with my friends. Steady grinding into the wind, sure-that's why aero is more important.
Old 02-09-24, 10:51 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
No sure about you folks, but there is not a lot of acceleration on a 50 mile ride with my friends.
Listen to the Swissside podcast …
Old 02-09-24, 01:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
You can believe what you like about wheel weight, but the laws of physics are pretty well understood in 2024. Look at the wheels modern pros are using and you will observe how they nearly always trade wheel weight for aero, even when there is a lot of climbing. The only valid use case for ultra-lightweight wheels is pure hill climb racing. For crits you are far better off on heavier aero wheels. The weight penalty is simply not big enough to matter in comparison to the aero gains.
I can think of a few routes where lightweight wins over aero. Essentially, weight matters more on a route with a substantial amount of climbing, because:
  1. the rider spends a majority of their time climbing, so they stand to gain the most when climbing faster
  2. the rider usually is working the hardest during the climbs, so they can reduce some fatigue with less weight
  3. most of us normals don't climb as fast as a pro, so we don't benefit from aero when going uphill

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-09-24, 01:36 PM
Intake

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 19 / CinelliSuperstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
PeteHski I Appreciate your opinion ! Yours and the rest ! Dont want to buy RZ and then say ok , it doesnt make so much diff. and already throw 1k. So 50-60 mm is more considerable to earn some speed at flats.

*off topic* My r8000 ultegra cassete (11-30) broke yesterday (after 15k kms , this is ridiculus) and change it with an old 105 r7000 (11-28) . when you change speeds it feels more slower and make some more noise. but guess what ! I do my classic segm. "Δυο Βουνά climb 4,2km" at 7.0% and make and excellent efford ! ( Δυο Βουνά = 2 Mountains in Greek). Iam so newbie and i have to explore so many things about cycling , despite the thing i start late . Iam 40 omg, lose so much precius time
Likes For Intake:
Old 02-09-24, 02:35 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I can think of a few routes where lightweight wins over aero. Essentially, weight matters more on a route with a substantial amount of climbing, because:
  1. the rider spends a majority of their time climbing, so they stand to gain the most when climbing faster
  2. the rider usually is working the hardest during the climbs, so they can reduce some fatigue with less weight
  3. most of us normals don't climb as fast as a pro, so we don't benefit from aero when going uphill
Sure, but 200g difference is just going to be lost in the noise. I think last time I checked, 1kg was worth around 45 secs on a 1 hour climb of Alpe d’Huez. So 200g would be worth around 9 secs. It’s really not a significant gain unless you are saving multiple kg, which is not possible on a wheel set.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-09-24, 03:27 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by terrymorse
... most of us normals don't climb as fast as a pro, so we don't benefit from aero when going uphill
I was doing a training camp several years ago, when I got dropped from the lead group on a long moderate climb. A former pro (top 10 GC TdF & Giro) told me to jump on his wheel, and he pulled me back to the group. I was struck by the realization that drafting and aerodynamics are important at the speeds the pros are climbing.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-09-24, 03:29 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
How about you inform yourself better? Start with podcast Episide 4 below, which explains the reality for you. Wheel weight plays a small part when climbing, but wheel rotational inertia is a third order insignificant factor, even for crit racing with repeated hard accelerations.

https://www.swissside.com/pages/podcast

Heavy wheels are a relative term when discussing half decent road bikes. My current wheels (DT Swiss ERC 1400) weigh 1477g, so not heavy or super light.

I could switch to their lightest climbing wheels (PRC 1100 Mon Chasseral) at 1266g, saving 211g. That’s just half of the 450g difference Swiss Side used in their study linked above. I would gain just a few seconds on a long steady mountain climb and would be slower everywhere else from the increased aero drag. So no thanks.

The OP is talking about saving 200g on a wheel set. This is going to make no significant difference to the performance. That doesn’t mean it isn’t worth upgrading because there are otter factors that might lead to an overall improvement eg stiffness, durability, aero, wider internal rim. But weight certainly isn’t a big factor here.

My advice to the OP would be to get a decent quality set of carbon 40-50 mm deep aero wheels, matched to whatever tyre width they are using, preferably 28-30 mm if they have clearance. They will be reasonably light anyway and measurably faster in most situations.
I mean yes and no. It really depends on how much time you spend accelerating at lower speeds where aerodynamics matter less and to your point at higher speeds 25mph+ aerodynamics will start to outweigh rolling resistance thus this is why the pros can use heavier deeper wheels, granted we are not the pros. Lighter wheels simply equal less gravitational potential energy and aerodynamics play less of a role descending because you aren't exerting energy and the laws of gravity are more at play. Heavier wheels can be faster on the flats not only due to aerodynamics but momentum and kinetic energy, thus the mass of the wheel counts twice because they are translating and rotating, thus a lightweight bike and or wheelset on a climb does matter because speed is heavily determined via acceleration. Again, if you are a PRO and can put out massive watts acceleration get somewhat mute, but again no one on this sub is a Pro
Old 02-09-24, 04:13 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Jrasero
I mean yes and no. It really depends on how much time you spend accelerating at lower speeds where aerodynamics matter less and to your point at higher speeds 25mph+ aerodynamics will start to outweigh rolling resistance thus this is why the pros can use heavier deeper wheels, granted we are not the pros.
Aerodynamics are more important than rolling resistance at speeds much less than 25 mph.

Lighter wheels simply equal less gravitational potential energy and aerodynamics play less of a role descending because you aren't exerting energy and the laws of gravity are more at play.
Your ultimate speed when descending (without power) occurs when the force from gravity is balanced by aerodynamic drag, so it doesn't make sense to says aerodynamics play less of a role.

Heavier wheels can be faster on the flats not only due to aerodynamics but momentum and kinetic energy, thus the mass of the wheel counts twice because they are translating and rotating, thus a lightweight bike and or wheelset on a climb does matter because speed is heavily determined via acceleration.
Several things don't make sense in the above.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-09-24, 04:30 PM
Intake

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 19 / CinelliSuperstar

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
tomato coupe A nice experience !
Old 02-09-24, 04:33 PM
PeteHski

I mean yes and no. It really depends on how much time you spend accelerating at lower speeds where aerodynamics matter less and to your point at higher speeds 25mph+ aerodynamics will start to outweigh rolling resistance thus this is why the pros can use heavier deeper wheels, granted we are not the pros. Lighter wheels simply equal less gravitational potential energy and aerodynamics play less of a role descending because you aren't exerting energy and the laws of gravity are more at play. Heavier wheels can be faster on the flats not only due to aerodynamics but momentum and kinetic energy, thus the mass of the wheel counts twice because they are translating and rotating, thus a lightweight bike and or wheelset on a climb does matter because speed is heavily determined via acceleration. Again, if you are a PRO and can put out massive watts acceleration get somewhat mute, but again no one on this sub is a Pro
Sorry, but this makes no sense and is very confusing to read. You appear to be putting a lot of emphasis on acceleration, when that has been shown to be the least important factor by far when considering incremental wheel weight. Did you take a look at Swiss Side’s study of these individual factors and how they play out over different road courses?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-09-24, 06:39 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Your ultimate speed when descending (without power) occurs when the force from gravity is balanced by aerodynamic drag, so it doesn't make sense to says aerodynamics play less of a role.
Yes, aerodynamics plays a role in descending speed, in addition to body+bike weight, and bike handling skill/courage.

On group rides, I used to descend with some guys that were substantially heavier, so to stay with them I had to become better at holding my speed in curves and accelerating out of them. They would get a gap on the straight sections; I would catch them in the turns.

Last edited by terrymorse; 02-09-24 at 11:51 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-16-24, 08:25 AM
burntire

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a big Chinese Direct to consumer wheel guy. Winspace Hypers, Elite Wheels Drive Series, and 9Velo LV 2.0 and CD 2.0 Series are some of my favorite. Hypers are $1500 but have a 10% coupon but are some of the most aero wheels while being pretty stiff with carbon spokes and have ceramic bearings. The 2023 Hyper D45 is 1420g with a 46mm front and 54mm rear depth wheel with 21mm internal but also are offered in a 33mm and 67mm. The Elite Wheels Drive series starts at $1189 but I believe they have a 15% coupon floating around. 50mm wheel are 1300g and 40mm are 1290g and all have 21mm internal, but they do offer mixed depth wheels now. Hybrid ceramic bearings and carbon spokes, the Drive series isn't as stiff nor aero as the Hypers but they are pretty darn close. 9VELO are some of the most affordable. They aren't as flashy like the Hypers with their butterfly weave or the Drives with their glossy crushed carbon swirl look, but they are simply solid wheels. LV series offered as small as a 35mm and all wheel have 21mm internal. New 2.0 gens have non drilled rim beds so no rim tape is needed. The LV and CD use a 36T ratchet hub that is frankly a DT Swiss 240 dupe. The LV series is Sapim CX-Ray spokes and steel bearings and the CD has carbon spokes and ceramic bearings. The LV 35 start at a crazy 1209g and is offered in a 45mm and 55mm and are $939 but have a 15% code but no mixed depth options. The CD series are only offered in a 45mm which starts at an insane 1199g but a 58mm is offered at 1342g but not mixed depth options and the CD series starts at $1289 with 15% code.

All of these wheel offer tremendous value and I had zero issues with shipping or customs. I did however have my rear Hyper Wheel have a semi common problem with the carbon layup popping when lightly compressed, but Winspace replaced the wheel and the new wheel has been flawless. The Drive wheels have been with zero problems. My 1st gen 9Velo LV35 might have developed a crack due to some gravel use and 9Velo sent me a free replacement wheel. I don't have a ton of miles on them but I have had zero issues with the 2nd gen LV and CD wheels. This is all to say the big issue with Chinese wheels isn't quality it's just ease of customer service, but if you are willing to bypass big name brands and are okay dealing with a foreign brand than I would say these are amazing wheels no matter which ones you pick
Are those 9velo wheels still working out well for you?
Old 03-16-24, 03:48 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Hey Terry! Any desire to recoup at least a little cost from your new purchase?
Old 03-17-24, 11:12 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Zipp 60/404 or Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC if you not anything above 60mm, Zipp 808
Old 04-06-24, 12:00 AM
podgercar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a big Chinese Direct to consumer wheel guy. Winspace Hypers, Elite Wheels Drive Series, and 9Velo LV 2.0 and CD 2.0 Series are some of my favorite. Hypers are $1500 but have a 10% coupon but are some of the most aero wheels while being pretty stiff with carbon spokes and have ceramic bearings. The 2023 Hyper D45 is 1420g with a 46mm front and 54mm rear depth wheel with 21mm internal but also are offered in a 33mm and 67mm. The Elite Wheels Drive series starts at $1189 but I believe they have a 15% coupon floating around. 50mm wheel are 1300g and 40mm are 1290g and all have 21mm internal, but they do offer mixed depth wheels now. Hybrid ceramic bearings and carbon spokes, the Drive series isn't as stiff nor aero as the Hypers but they are pretty darn close. 9VELO are some of the most affordable. They aren't as flashy like the Hypers with their butterfly weave or the Drives with their glossy crushed carbon swirl look, but they are simply solid wheels. LV series offered as small as a 35mm and all wheel have 21mm internal. New 2.0 gens have non drilled rim beds so no rim tape is needed. The LV and CD use a 36T ratchet hub that is frankly a DT Swiss 240 dupe. The LV series is Sapim CX-Ray spokes and steel bearings and the CD has carbon spokes and ceramic bearings. The LV 35 start at a crazy 1209g and is offered in a 45mm and 55mm and are $939 but have a 15% code but no mixed depth options. The CD series are only offered in a 45mm which starts at an insane 1199g but a 58mm is offered at 1342g but not mixed depth options and the CD series starts at $1289 with 15% code.

All of these wheel offer tremendous value and I had zero issues with shipping or customs. I did however have my rear Hyper Wheel have a semi common problem with the carbon layup popping when lightly compressed, but Winspace replaced the wheel and the new wheel has been flawless. The Drive wheels have been with zero problems. My 1st gen 9Velo LV35 might have developed a crack due to some gravel use and 9Velo sent me a free replacement wheel. I don't have a ton of miles on them but I have had zero issues with the 2nd gen LV and CD wheels. This is all to say the big issue with Chinese wheels isn't quality it's just ease of customer service, but if you are willing to bypass big name brands and are okay dealing with a foreign brand than I would say these are amazing wheels no matter which ones you pick
Thanks for the breakdown between wheelsets. Do you happen to have the 15% discount code for the 9VELO LV 35 wheels? I am keen. Also, did you incur additional taxes and duties on delivery?