Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What do old people ride, lets see your bikes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What do old people ride, lets see your bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-24, 08:27 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Turberville

That right there is what you call a "cockpit"!

There must be brake levers somewhere on the big, swooping, swirling, aluminum beast.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-01-24, 08:31 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
The bike I ride most often these days. Started from a bare frame. Original intent was to make this into a touring bike, but it turned into my daily ride.

Trek 990
Are those AT-4 handlebars? I'd like a set for one of my vintage rides.
Old 01-01-24, 10:31 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
That right there is what you call a "cockpit"!

There must be brake levers somewhere on the big, swooping, swirling, aluminum beast.
Brakes. We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!

Well actually, I do. Standard MTB levers that were hanging around.

Likes For Jay Turberville:
Old 01-01-24, 10:40 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
Yes. They are the AT-4 Pro bars. I guess the "pro" part is because they have longer and straighter sides and a swoop in the forward portion. The regular AT-4 bars are more circular at the sides and don't have that swoop. I have a set of regualr AT-4s on my Dahon folder. I initially didn't like the look of this swoopy "pro" version. But the more I ride it the more I appreciate the straighter sides. You can see the "regular" version in the picture below.

Ebay and Craigslist are your friends if you are looking for either one of these. Don't be surprised if whoever has one doesn't know what it actually is.

Old 01-01-24, 11:37 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Brakes. We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!

Well actually, I do. Standard MTB levers that were hanging around.

there’s a lot goin on there !

yes - true ‘cockpit’

Last edited by t2p; 01-01-24 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-01-24, 11:43 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by Alan K
The one I used today is about a decade old Cervello, fairly light road bike with all DurAce (except the crank that was changed to a compact Ultegra). It still rides well. I was thinking to throw it in the trunk of a car and go in the area with rolling hills where it’s much more picturesque.

But days are short here so decided against it and went directly from home onto a bike path.

Is that your LS ?

a friend has / had multiple LS’s … starting with the 400 … would buy them with a zillion miles on the odometer and then put on another 100K + miles

had one with something like 275 K miles - passed it down to his kid who then drove it cross country to the west coast - and then after finishing school (four years later) the kid drove it back to the east coast … can’t recall the mileage on that one - might be around 325K miles … (?)

Last edited by t2p; 01-01-24 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-01-24, 11:52 PM
t2p

have AT-LF (or something like that ?) installed on mrs t2p old bike
Old 01-02-24, 12:09 AM
Jay Turberville

Originally Posted by t2p

have AT-LF (or something like that ?) installed on mrs t2p old bike
Yes. Scott AT-2 LF (LiteFlite). They also made an AT-3 that finished the bend to 180 degrees but did not connect in the middle.
Old 01-02-24, 12:23 AM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Is that your LS ?

a friend has / had multiple LS’s … starting with the 400 … would buy them with a zillion miles on the odometer and then put on another 100K + miles

had one with something like 275 K miles - passed it down to his kid who then drove it cross country to the west coast - and then after finishing school (four years later) the kid drove it back to the east coast … can’t recall the mileage on that one - might be around 325K miles … (?)
Yes, your friend is quite correct about the reliability of Lexus. With routine maintenance they seem to go on for at least twice as long as many other cars.

Last edited by Alan K; 01-02-24 at 11:14 AM.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-02-24, 06:49 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
59 years old...did my last ride of the year 12/31, and first ride of the year (1/1) on my RB-2.

this is yesterday at Castle Craig on top of Meriden Mountain:

Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 01-03-24, 11:50 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Yes. They are the AT-4 Pro bars. I guess the "pro" part is because they have longer and straighter sides and a swoop in the forward portion. The regular AT-4 bars are more circular at the sides and don't have that swoop. I have a set of regualr AT-4s on my Dahon folder. I initially didn't like the look of this swoopy "pro" version. But the more I ride it the more I appreciate the straighter sides. You can see the "regular" version in the picture below.

Ebay and Craigslist are your friends if you are looking for either one of these. Don't be surprised if whoever has one doesn't know what it actually is.

Hopefully I can get a AT-4 tomorrow...
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 01-04-24, 11:40 AM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
59 years old...did my last ride of the year 12/31, and first ride of the year (1/1) on my RB-2.

this is yesterday at Castle Craig on top of Meriden Mountain:

Advantage goes to bicycles when it comes to how long a means of transportation lasts!
I think that my old Motibecane is approaching 50 but not quite there yet.

Old Motobecane, modified for an upright posture
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-04-24, 08:50 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Hopefully I can get a AT-4 tomorrow...
Scored a set for just under $28 shipped. Now which bike to put them on...
I'm leaning towards my Fisher CR-7 or Aquila. The Aquila may be an issue since it has Gripshifters.
I was thinking my Montare but it is going up for sale, IMO, It would have been a good choice.

Last edited by Desert Ryder; 01-04-24 at 08:54 PM.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 01-05-24, 10:13 AM
Jay Turberville

Scored a set for just under $28 shipped. Now which bike to put them on...
Cool. They look to be in pretty good shape and $28 is a good price.
Old 01-05-24, 09:05 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Surly Lowside 1x1 is the bike I currently ride outdoors for fun. (I have 4 bikes total - an LHT on a smart trainer, a Jamis beater, and a Joe Breeze folding).

Purchased in preparation for a move to the mountains (NW South Carolina) it is currently strictly an urban assault vehicle in New Orleans. Only about one month of cycling flatland remaining before the move. I really needed something with disk brakes for the upcoming hilly terrain. One low gear for pedaling up the hills, coasting down or riding the brakes - no gears required. It's my only bike not set up for speed with handlebars higher than the saddle. Great for sightseeing. And ice cream stops (3 Dairy Queens in the new town). This bike is a TANK. ~30 lbs right out of the box. It can take whatever abuse I can dish out. I tend to ride "like" an idiot (see my sig line).

Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 01-08-24, 07:55 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Parked my bike here.. Went for an hour or so birdwatching stroll..

Came back and realized I forgot to lock it. Got a decent pic of a Rock Wren.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 01-12-24, 10:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
1974 Raleigh International started from a frameset which I painted by hand. Here it is yesterday on my commute along the Hudson River in NYC.

3x10 drivetrain
dynamo lights
rack and basket
fenders
commuter pedals with SPD on one side

I use the bike for commuting and fun.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 01-13-24, 05:38 PM
Sapper69
Brisvegas roadie

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 6.9 (SRAM Red-22), 2010 Colnago CLX 2.0 (SRAM Red 10-speed mix), 2013 Pinarello FP Uno (Campagnolo Athena 11-speed), 2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro (Shimano 105 10-speed), 2009 Colnago EPS (dream build, under construction!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
The bike they made specifically for older guys who want(ed) to be Fabian Cancellara. I've got n+several bikes but this is the one I've done the most miles on over the past ten years or so, and the one that got me back into serious road cycling after various career, lifestyle and injury interruptions. The Domane is also one of the very few new-model, shop-built bikes I've ever owned. I'm a sceptic by nature, but I bought into the marketing hype when this bike was released and it's delivered for me in spades. I have prettier, faster and nicer handling bikes than this one, but the Domane is the only bike I can ride all day then still ride (or walk) when I get up the next morning.
Likes For Sapper69:
Old 01-26-24, 06:48 AM
corwin1968

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I'm not sure how to define "old", but I'm two months shy of 56 and I pretty much only ride my Trek Roscoe 8, which I bought a few months ago.

I've been very into bicycles since 2011 and part of the thrill is learning new things about geometry and fit and what I thought worked for me has changed drastically, over that time. The Roscoe has been a HUGE leap forward in that understanding.

First, the Roscoe's reach and effective-top-tube are ridiculously long. I've struggled with hand/arm/shoulder discomfort for years, until I discovered that I was going in the wrong direction (ie, shorter) for reach and that a longer reach is actually more comfortable for me. I rented a large Roscoe 8 and when I made the decision to buy one, I planned on getting a Large, even though I had some shoulder issues while riding that size. I was fortunate that two local shops had both L and XL Roscoes on the floor and totally on a whim, I test rode the XL and as far as reach goes, it just fit me like a glove. It was a literal night and day difference in comfort and the guys at two different shops mentioned that based on observation, the XL worked better for me. Once I bought the bike, I started experimenting and ended up adding 3cm of reach, via a longer stem.

Second, I've been riding bikes with "laid back" geometry (ie, slacker seat tubes). The Roscoe, accounting for fork sag, is close to 75 degrees, which is much steeper than I've been riding and it just works for me. My pedaling efficiency feels much better and because my natural riding style is to sort of hammer it, instead of leisurely cruising, the steeper seat tube angle works for me.

Because I will probably do very little singletrack riding (it was my original intention but I discovered that an eye condition that leaves me with very poor vision and depth perception immediately in front of me makes riding on very uneven terrain very difficult) and I'm undecided on chainstay length and bottom bracket height (Roscoe is short and high, while I might still prefer long and low). I definately like the higher trail and wider handlebars and am now looking at rigid bikes with similar geometry (Stooge Cycles, I'm specifically looking your direction).

I had the shop put better pedals on it before I even left the store and I've replaced the grips with some Ergon's. Future planned changes are swapping out the dropper post for a regular, much lighter seatpost, swapping over to some lighter, faster rolling tires and maybe replacing the handlebars, which feel like a solid bar of steel, with something lighter. I calculated that these changes would shave about 2.5 pounds off the weight of the bike, which isn't all that heavy to begin with, at least by my standards.

For now, the Roscoe is an amazingly versatile, very fun bike to ride. Even riding around my sub-division (which is 95% of my riding), the suspension fork really helps my torn, arthritic riddled shoulders when I pass over the pavement buckles that seem to occur about every 30 feet, in my <20 year old neighborhood.

Last edited by corwin1968; 01-26-24 at 06:55 AM.
Likes For corwin1968:
Old 01-26-24, 08:41 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,715 Times in 2,613 Posts
I built up a new commuter, particularly for winter:

I plan to put a front studded tire on for when the snow returns (currently raining here in the Boston area). I’m worried it might be cursed, however. Two days ago I had a rear flat about a mile from home with no clear indication of the cause, and yesterday on the way to work, the bracket holding my front lamp just crumbled, nearly sending the lamp into my front wheel. I ended up duct taping it to the bracket when I came home in the dark. Hmm.
Old 01-26-24, 11:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
I usually ride road bikes, but today did 38 miles and some climbing on this oldie. It was a good workout. (No snow today, picture from a previous year, but the same trail. Edit: It’s a Trek/tubeless tires with a few thousand miles on it.

Last edited by rsbob; 01-26-24 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-06-24, 08:06 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 981 Posts

I added this 1972 Paramount P13-9 to my fleet this past season and it’s become a favorite. Recently found a set of nearly new Schwinn-Approved tubular rims and built them up. Looking forward to spring!

Last edited by ascherer; 02-07-24 at 07:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-24, 08:15 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
IMG_5206 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 02-07-24, 05:41 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Seats look extremely hard . . .
Old 02-08-24, 08:09 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
At 66 I've purchased my 1st carbon bike. An '06 Felt F4C in great shape that's been really taken care of. Previously I've been a staunch collector of steel frame bikes from the 70's & 80's including holding on to my 1st bike store bike - an '82 Fuji Supreme. I'm lucky to live in a great cycling area with year-round cycling, good country roads, and friendly local clubs.

Keeping up with the club guys on their carbon bikes and me on heavier steel frame bikes has become more difficult as I've started having a little hip & knee arthritis issues, so I started looking to a lighter brifter shifting bike. I love the old bikes BUT brifter shifting is so much easier. As I've gotten older I've been keeping an eye out a good deal on something carbon and lighter and with better gearing than Sora. I'm really liking This Felt bike with Ultegra gearing. It's a little more "billboard" than I'd like with the Vuelta Corsa Team V wheels, but I'm seeing a real performance gain in my riding:

Here's most of my steel frame bikes if you're interested on a similar "show your rides" thread to this

https://www.bikeforums.net/22833871-post4659.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/20615373-post4634.html
Well my "billboard" concern went away with the disintegration of the Corsa Team V hub, 14 miles out in the middle of nowhere. It broke apart & locked up tighter than Dick's hatband (who knows where that expression came from?)....I had to lift it up as it wouldn't roll. I communicated with Kemco Group Inc. & Novatec only to find out this hub was no longer made.

My local shop ordered me some new wheels with Mavic Elite rims, Origin8 hubs & DT Swiss spokes. I've made some other tweaks since the earlier photo was made so this is me now:

I now carry a spare emergecy bike in my saddle bag

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 02-08-24 at 09:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.