Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 04:52 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
On a similar note, I haven't cleaned or waxed my new chain yet and I put 350kms (218mi) on the new bike so far. It's still quiet as a mouse

I was not expecting that. I'll ride it as long as I can with the factory lube/grease/whatever.
Hey I saw your new bike post yesterday, I am so out of the loop with cycling media that I didn't even know number 8 was out. I think it looks cool the way you have it set up, weird head tube for sure, I am certain it goes well. I'd consider that model if I was in the market.

I think factory grease and a lot of higher viscosity lubes and drip waxes have really good long term dampening. I must confess that I never rode any chain treatment to the point where it got friction noisy, but I would not really push it that far.

I bet you'll get plenty of crap out of your chain at this point if you were to shake it up in solvents to prep for wax. I think the start of a chain's life can be a harsh period, with a lot of the shavings coming out and circulating around, albeit quietly. I'd be prepping it at this stage, but that's me - let us know how it goes! A pic of the shake up would be interesting, if convenient.

Last edited by yaw; 10-04-23 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-05-23, 05:37 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Hey I saw your new bike post yesterday, I am so out of the loop with cycling media that I didn't even know number 8 was out. I think it looks cool the way you have it set up, weird head tube for sure, I am certain it goes well. I'd consider that model if I was in the market.

I think factory grease and a lot of higher viscosity lubes and drip waxes have really good long term dampening. I must confess that I never rode any chain treatment to the point where it got friction noisy, but I would not really push it that far.

I bet you'll get plenty of crap out of your chain at this point if you were to shake it up in solvents to prep for wax. I think the start of a chain's life can be a harsh period, with a lot of the shavings coming out and circulating around, albeit quietly. I'd be prepping it at this stage, but that's me - let us know how it goes! A pic of the shake up would be interesting, if convenient.
Will do for sure! And yes, the ''sniffer'' looks odd at first, but with the steerer tube cut, the whole thing just looks nice! It's for sure the stiffest and most responsive bike I've owned so far.

For the chain, I am not sure which noise you are referring to, but the contact points between the outside of the chain and the cogs / chainrings will always make some noise...it's noise coming from the internal (rollers) that you don't want! My waxed chain always gets noisier after 50-100kms but it's still good for another 200kms.

Right now, my new one is still quiet and that's amazing! I wanted to ''break'' it before its initial wax and I think it's time now, but I am stunned by the fact that it is still as quiet as when it was new

EDIT: By the way, do you have any recommendation for re usable quick links for 12 speed chain? I am having a hard time finding some... KMC does not seem to make them? I found some on Amazon but I am not sure if I should trust this. Amazon.com : SUNTRADE 8 Pairs Reusable Bicycle Missing Link for 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,11,12 Speed Chain : Sports & Outdoors

Last edited by eduskator; 10-05-23 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-05-23, 08:23 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Do you ride Shimano? Don't they have their own 12 speed links? Pretty sure that's what's on my TCR atm
Old 10-05-23, 08:32 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by TMonk
Do you ride Shimano? Don't they have their own 12 speed links? Pretty sure that's what's on my TCR atm
Yes, but they don't sell the reusable ones and I'm having a hard time finding the KMC ones.

I've always reused my quick links a few times, but I'd rather have a more permanent solution like the Wippermann Connex link (that I can't find either).
Old 10-05-23, 08:35 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Yes, but they don't sell the reusable ones and I'm having a hard time finding the KMC ones.

I've always reused my quick links a few times, but I'd rather have a more permanent solution like the Wipperman Connex link.
lame. im sure this will catch up to me sooner or later so I'll stay tuned.
Old 10-05-23, 08:58 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts

I've always reused my quick links a few times, but I'd rather have a more permanent solution like the Wippermann Connex link (that I can't find either).
I've never seen a KMC chain that didn't come with one (albeit most of my chains are Shimano), did they stop doing that with the 12s? I've never had one not last the lifetime of the chain.
Likes For Ryan_M:
Old 10-05-23, 09:14 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Ryan_M
I've never seen a KMC chain that didn't come with one (albeit most of my chains are Shimano), did they stop doing that with the 12s? I've never had one not last the lifetime of the chain.
I don't know since I have an ultegra chain right now. I don't think KMC chains are sold with the reusable link either. I doubt it. All the bikes I owned that came equipped with KMC chains didn't have a reusable link.
Old 10-05-23, 09:49 AM
Ryan_M

I don't know since I have an ultegra chain right now. I don't think KMC chains are sold with the reusable link either. I doubt it. All the bikes I owned that came equipped with KMC chains didn't have a reusable link.
Ahh gotcha. Yeah from what I've seen the OEM stuff doesn't have a quick link (for either manufacturer) but if you buy a retail replacement chain they do. Here's a link to the KMC 12s missing links... but you could be in for a wait.
Old 10-05-23, 09:59 AM
eduskator

Ahh gotcha. Yeah from what I've seen the OEM stuff doesn't have a quick link (for either manufacturer) but if you buy a retail replacement chain they do. Here's a link to the KMC 12s missing links... but you could be in for a wait.
Thanks, but they're probably knockoffs and are the non reusable ones anyways...
Old 10-05-23, 10:47 AM
Ryan_M

Thanks, but they're probably knockoffs and are the non reusable ones anyways...
You might be SOL for finding one that officially states it's reusable in 12s, but why would you assume it's a knock off?
Old 10-05-23, 11:10 AM
eduskator

I don't trust aliexpress for genuine stuff.
Old 10-05-23, 11:32 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
….I'll report on it then. Give me several years.
No rush. We’ll be here.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 10-05-23, 03:37 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by yaw

Here you go! This is a picture of my new chain (400kms ridden on factory lube) in gasoline! I shook it up pretty well and I'm leaving it in there for the night. Will waxxxxxxxxxx it tomorrow after rinsing and drying it.

Old 10-05-23, 04:33 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Thanks for sharing eduskator did you get many particles and metal shavings out?

As for quick links, I use YBN QRS Masterlinks which come in 6 packs and are officially 5x re-usable. I use them on both YBN and Dura Ace chains without a problem or difference.

I have also re-used the "single use" Shimano quick links up to 5x in the past. As long as they have strong engagement (decent force require to snap them open or shut) then I don't see why they can't be re-used. The engagement on these Shimano links is strong.

To be a bit on the safer side, I do chuck them all after 5 uses, although I am sure there is still a good margin left based on their engagement. I also carry a new quick link in my spare kit just in case. Just the links, since they can be engaged with crank pressure on the road without the tool if needed.

Also, and this is very anecdotal and I don't recall the source, but I heard that KMC chain coatings don't bond well with wax. I don't have a preference between YBN and DA, but I do like to alternate black YBN with silver Shimano chains just so it's a bit easier to tell where I am at in the rotation.
Old 10-06-23, 09:10 AM
eduskator

Yes! Lots of crap for sure. Can't differentiate the metal shavings from the other crap, though. It's a thick black layer at the bottom of the jar.
Old 10-06-23, 10:15 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Yes! Lots of crap for sure. Can't differentiate the metal shavings from the other crap, though. It's a thick black layer at the bottom of the jar.
if steel shavings then you can use a magnet to collect it together. just put the magnet on the bottom of the jar and move it around. (not in the jar). if aluminum then no go. my jar has both steel and non ferrous bits floating around.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-31-23, 09:55 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
I went for a ride today to finish out 2023. This chain has 100 wet & soggy miles on it. I noticed something peculiar. See if you see it...

See it?
The waxed drivetrain appears to actively reject mud and grit. After a hundred miles in this muck, the links and rollers are still packed with wax. Abrasive material can't get in even if it wanted to.

Cool.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-01-24, 11:23 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Isn't immersive waxing what Thetis did to Achilles when he was a baby? Look how that turned out ...
I try to avoid shooting arrows at my chain…🤔
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 01-02-24, 12:58 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
You might be SOL for finding one that officially states it's reusable in 12s, but why would you assume it's a knock off?

I've not had any luck finding in-stock reusable 12 speed quick links here. It's why my 12-speed bike is the only one without a hot waxed chain still... 😞
Old 01-02-24, 02:33 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by base2
I went for a ride today to finish out 2023. This chain has 100 wet & soggy miles on it. I noticed something peculiar. See if you see it...
See it?
The waxed drivetrain appears to actively reject mud and grit. After a hundred miles in this muck, the links and rollers are still packed with wax. Abrasive material can't get in even if it wanted to.

Cool.
sorry, no. chain looks dirty to me.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-02-24, 03:50 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by spelger
sorry, no. chain looks dirty to me.
But you know where it’s not dirty? All the places oil would’ve been squeezed out of and allowed dirt in.

An overnight dry in my living room & a toothbrush the next day is all it took for a return to fantastic minty freshness.

I might even rewax it again in a few weeks if it keeps being ridden in this kind of muck

I can’t believe I ever used to use oil.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 01-02-24, 03:58 PM
spelger

But you know where it’s not dirty? All the places oil would’ve been squeezed out of and allowed dirt in.

An overnight dry in my living room & a toothbrush the next day is all it took for a return to fantastic minty freshness.

I might even rewax it again in a few weeks if it keeps being ridden in this kind of muck

I can’t believe I ever used to use oil.
you mean like in the rollers? where it matters? did you disassemble the chain and inspect? i have a hard time believing that.

i'm a waxer but i don't buy this claim.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-02-24, 04:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
How do you know that?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-02-24, 06:42 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How do you know that?
...and spelger
Because the chain doesn't transversely roll in the fingers nearly to the extent that a "loose" chain does. There is also no "rattle of pearls" that would indicate free clearance between the pins & rollers. It is still "tight" in nearly the same manner as would be if it just cooled from the wax pot. IOW: Still packed with wax.

Whether you can verify for yourself in person the degree of my claim is hardly material. This is the Internet, after all 😉 The fact is oil would be easily displaced, attract the grit and encourage it to stay around a while. Perhaps even transport the fine particles inside This is is not the black sticky mess oilers seem to like. I just thought it'd be cool to share.

What I actually get from the experience is when riding in temps below the low 40's, wax is even more viscous and apt to avoid displacement even better than at warmer temps. That's good news as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by base2; 01-02-24 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-02-24, 06:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
...and spelger
Because the chain doesn't transversely roll in the fingers nearly to the extent that a "loose" chain does. There is also no "rattle of pearls" that would indicate free clearance between the pins & rollers. It is still "tight" in the same manner as would be if it just cooled from the wax pot. IOW: Still packed with wax.
How do you know that it's still packed with wax and not dirt?
Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.