Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

I am a College student looking for a new bike in Los Angeles

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 07:06 PM
The6_6biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I am currently a student at the masters University. I started cycling about six months ago and have loved the sport ever since. However, I just got into a bicycle accident going about 24 miles an hour, wiped out on a bridge, and smashed into the guard rail. Thankfully, I was uninjured, but my bike is completely totaled as the frame and the gears are smashed. I love biking, and would really hate to give up a sport I have only just begun to enjoy. If anyone has any information on good places to find secondhand bikes, or maybe one of you guys is a sponsored cyclist, and would be willing to give a poor college student a discount for an old bike, it would be much appreciated!

I am also 6 foot six, so any tips on which style/brand of bike would work well for someone extremely tall would be great.

Thanks!

Caleb

Last edited by The6_6biker; 01-11-24 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-12-24, 03:44 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
Craigslist
Old 01-12-24, 04:03 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,753 Times in 1,841 Posts
Check out https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-ii-3272.html
What was the bike you were riding before it got wrecked? did you like it?
I will keep an eye out for Tall bikes

Here's a great one, at a great price. https://offerup.com/item/detail/2d3c...q=tall&cid=7.4

This one has been listed for months, good quality but lesser known store brand https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...689343158.html

Last edited by SoCaled; 01-12-24 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-21-24, 10:30 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Hi Caleb. If you can make it all the way to Carlsbad (north San Diego County) I'll give you my 1986 Schwinn Peloton. It is a steel bike with mostly Shimano 7800, but with a nine-speed mountain bike cassette and rear deraillaur.Rim brakes, but they're solid AF (my ex-gf endoed herself once when a driver brake-checked her with the same brakes. Wasn't funny then, but the memory has sweetened with age.)
It's a large (63cm) frame, so it should fit you well.
It's chromed steel, then painted white, so you should be able to crash it all you like without damaging it. The rear triangle is even black chrome! Its a Sherman tank of a bike. I used to race this same frame back in the 80s in USCF criteriums and spent several years with perma-scabs from hip-to-ankle, so if you survive your next 20 crashes, this bike should too.
When this bike was made, the bike industry used to say, "Sell a bike, lose a customer." Because bikes like this will last your entire life.

P.S. Congratulations on surviving your crash. Any time you walk away from a totalled bike (even a plastic-fantastic piece of cr@p), you drink a toast to your own outrageous good fortune.

Last edited by calamarichris; 01-21-24 at 11:10 PM.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 01-22-24, 10:27 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
The Peloton is a sweet bike!
Old 01-22-24, 09:00 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Oh hell, Hacienda Heights in the houssse!
I was living in Walnut/Diamond Bar when I bought my first '86 Peloton whilst running track & cross-country, swimming and water-poloing for nearby Rowland Heights!
I used to compete in triathlons at nearby Lake Bonelli on my Peloton back in the days before aerobars; when we wore those ridiculous sperm-shaped Aerodyne helmets and Speedos through the entire bike and run sections. (Hello everyone lining the route. Have a good look and clap for my circumcision scar here.)
Golden years. There was something magical about the 80s Schwinns.

Last edited by calamarichris; 01-22-24 at 09:18 PM.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 01-24-24, 06:36 PM
Parsival

Bikes: 23 Sirrus X.50 / 21 Sirrus 6.0 / 19 EPIC Carbon Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 15 Posts
Another vote for Offerup. Craigslist and Pinkbike is good as well.

Originally Posted by SoCaled
Check out https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-ii-3272.html
What was the bike you were riding before it got wrecked? did you like it?
I will keep an eye out for Tall bikes

Here's a great one, at a great price. https://offerup.com/item/detail/2d3c...q=tall&cid=7.4

This one has been listed for months, good quality but lesser known store brand https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...689343158.html
Old 01-24-24, 07:29 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,753 Times in 1,841 Posts
Originally Posted by Parsival
Another vote for Offerup. Craigslist and Pinkbike is good as well.
Oh, I would have to take back my own advice with the offer of a 63cm Pelton on the table
Old 01-24-24, 11:22 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
The Peloton is a sweet bike!
The one pictured above sure beats the other with the same name!
Old 01-27-24, 12:12 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

My ex was not especially photogenic. Or kind. Or considerate. But she was with me on one of the many bikes I'd bought for her, during one of the Peloton's many conquerings of Baldy.

Last edited by calamarichris; 01-27-24 at 12:18 PM.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 02-25-24, 11:38 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
B

Nobody here mentioned bike co-ops. There are only a couple in the LA area, but they're also a good source for used bikes, and if you want to fix up whatever you end up buying.

And by the way, I live on my bike, so I'm poorer than you. Would never dream of putting it out there for someone to donate a bike to me. Even tho there are countless bikes wasting away in backyards, garages, etc that were bought, used once or twice and now sit unattended.
Old 03-08-24, 04:35 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Oh hell, Hacienda Heights in the houssse!
I was living in Walnut/Diamond Bar when I bought my first '86 Peloton whilst running track & cross-country, swimming and water-poloing for nearby Rowland Heights!
I used to compete in triathlons at nearby Lake Bonelli on my Peloton back in the days before aerobars; when we wore those ridiculous sperm-shaped Aerodyne helmets and Speedos through the entire bike and run sections. (Hello everyone lining the route. Have a good look and clap for my circumcision scar here.)
Golden years. There was something magical about the 80s Schwinns.
hell yeah

I grew up in hacienda heights. Los Altos c/o 99 baby!!!!!