Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sweat Management

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sweat Management

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 06:31 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Sweat Management

I sweat a lot (4 pounds of water per hour if riding hard on a hot/humid day). My sweat management problem is that I generate a lot of sweat at and below my eyebrows (including generating sweat in my eye sockets). I am constantly (like once a minute on a hot day) wiping sweat from my eyes with a rag that I carry in one hand. The whole damned process is irritating and at least as much of a negative as is the temperatures themselves. This is southeastern US, FWIW.

I just wondered how many others have this issue and how they deal with it. I do wear eyeglasses, BTW. Could not see a damn thing without them.

Thanks.

dave
Old 07-05-23, 10:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
When sweat started to become a problem for me, I started wearing a headband, and eventually switched to a full skull cap when I started getting sunburned on my balding crown. Either of those keep much of the sweat out of my eyes.
Old 07-06-23, 07:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
A headband, dew rag or some type of head cover helps soak up sweat and help it drip elsewhere instead of into your eyes. I've been using a SweatVac that I got years ago. It seems my head stays cooler too. As well, it protects my scalp from getting that weird suntan pattern on it from the holes in my helmet.

None are perfect, but they help. It also seems that sun glasses/glasses with smaller lenses lets the air flow better to blow the sweat away from my eyes. But I'm not entirely convinced of that. Might just be that some of my sunglasses sit higher and cover more of my brow allowing the sweat to accumulate and drip in my eyes.
Old 07-06-23, 08:09 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I've been wearing these for about 5 years now.
Headsweats. If it gets salty, just rinse and you're good to go.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 07-06-23 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-06-23, 08:34 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Everyone is different, but I love Love LOVE my Halo headband. It's got a rubber/silicone strip above the eyebrows so most of the sweat goes around the temples and stays out of the eyes. It's very comfortable and comes in different versions.

There is something called a Sweat Gutr that does the same thing may be better, but likely uncomfortable since it has a firmer plastic gutter.

YMMV
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-06-23, 08:42 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Everyone is different, but I love Love LOVE my Halo headband. It's got a rubber/silicone strip above the eyebrows so most of the sweat goes around the temples and stays out of the eyes. It's very comfortable and comes in different versions.

There is something called a Sweat Gutr that does the same thing may be better, but likely uncomfortable since it has a firmer plastic gutter.

YMMV
Same, have a Sweat Gutr but haven't ever gotten around to using it as the Halo is so comfortable and looking at the Gutr, well, it doesn't look fun.

Old 07-06-23, 09:36 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Just to be clear ... I do not have a problem with sweat generated from above my eyebrows. It is the eyebrows and below generated sweat that is my problem. dave
Old 07-06-23, 09:36 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I sweat a lot (4 pounds of water per hour if riding hard on a hot/humid day). My sweat management problem is that I generate a lot of sweat at and below my eyebrows (including generating sweat in my eye sockets). I am constantly (like once a minute on a hot day) wiping sweat from my eyes with a rag that I carry in one hand. The whole damned process is irritating and at least as much of a negative as is the temperatures themselves. This is southeastern US, FWIW.

I just wondered how many others have this issue and how they deal with it. I do wear eyeglasses, BTW. Could not see a damn thing without them.

Thanks.

dave
I know exactly how you feel. I sweat from my head like Patrick Ewing in the 4th quarter except I'm only 10-15 mins into a ride. This Texas heat isn't helping either. Lol.

I wear Rx glasses too and I've been using the Halo headbands and cycling caps for years now. It does a great job in channeling the sweat away from the eyes. I also wipe all the lenses on my Rx glasses and even on our ski/snowboard goggles with Zeiss Fog Defender.
Old 07-06-23, 09:41 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I've been wearing these for about 5 years now.
Headsweats. If it gets salty, just rinse and you're good to go.

^^This. I have three of them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sweat+cap...s_ts-doa-p_1_9
Old 07-06-23, 10:40 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Just to be clear ... I do not have a problem with sweat generated from above my eyebrows. It is the EYEBROWS and BELOW generated sweat that is my problem. dave
Ooof. That does complicate things.

Sounds like it may be focal hyperhidrosis. Okay, I looked that up. But it does seem like a question for your doc before you go straight to using an antiperspirant on your eyebrows or getting botox.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 07-06-23, 10:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
It is the EYEBROWS and BELOW generated sweat that is my problem. dave
Well pull that headband, dew rag, SweatVAC or whatever down to where it is covering your eyebrows!

On the sweltering days with high humidity you probably just have to rely on your handkerchief. Assuming you can keep it dry enough to do any good.
Old 07-06-23, 11:24 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I've found that different helmets make an ENORMOUS difference. I replaced my old helmet recently with a Giro Aether, which has one of those retention systems which goes all the way around your head, with a padded band across the brow. For the first 10 miles, no sweat in the eyes. After that, it was like there was a channel running all the sweat I produced into my left eye. I tried a number of fixes, but nothing worked. So I went to my LBS and tried a couple different ones. I settled on a Kask Valegro, which doesn't have such a band. It works great, but later in the ride I have to remember to squeeze out the sweat from the pads - I turn my head to the side, look at the ground, and push my helmet into my forehead. It helps to take off my sunglasses.

YMMV
I have a Gutr headband. The problem is getting the angle right. You have to set it so when you're in the drops, the ends are lower than the middle, or it just fills up and runs down your face. It's one of the things I tried to get the Giro helmet to work for me. It didn't help.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-06-23, 11:31 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Old 07-06-23, 02:05 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by primov8
I know exactly how you feel. I sweat from my head like Patrick Ewing in the 4th quarter except I'm only 10-15 mins into a ride. This Texas heat isn't helping either. Lol.

I wear Rx glasses too and I've been using the Halo headbands and cycling caps for years now. It does a great job in channeling the sweat away from the eyes. I also wipe all the lenses on my Rx glasses and even on our ski/snowboard goggles with Zeiss Fog Defender.
I will give Fog Defender a try. Sweat on my glasses is a second order problem, but a problem none-the less. Years ago I used to play tennis two (early) mornings a week. I would regularly have problems with my glasses fogging over while playing - that stuff could have helped a bunch I think.

dave
Old 07-06-23, 02:12 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by Zaskar
Ooof. That does complicate things.

Sounds like it may be focal hyperhidrosis. Okay, I looked that up. But it does seem like a question for your doc before you go straight to using an antiperspirant on your eyebrows or getting botox.
I have run into hyperhidrosis before. Per my doctor I probably don't have that issue (with my eccrine glands). I have pretty much decided that a lot of sweat from my eyes/face is a given and I just need the best procedure possible for dealing with that sweat. Right now it is simply lots of wiping with a wash cloth sized rag (I own about 10 of them). If it is going to be a tough day I put a couple of them in a plastic bag in a jersey pocket. Anything in a jersey pocket will be soaking wet after a while in hot weather (unless protected by a plastic bag).

dave
Old 07-06-23, 02:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Consider moving to the SF Bay area??
Old 07-06-23, 02:46 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts

Thanks.

dave
The safest way is to stop and clean the glasses as needed, then press your helmet on your head to squeeze the sweat from inside sponges, to postpone the next cleaning. And be happy, because it could be even worse: if you wear sunglasses with prescription lens attached, Murpy's laws will usually guide the drops of sweat between the sun and prescription lens, so you will always need to clean 4 lens instead of 2.

Last edited by Redbullet; 07-06-23 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-06-23, 03:35 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
There is a whole cottage industry devoted to caps, headbands, gutters, sponges, and other devices to keep sweat out of your eyes. I'm partial to Walz cycling caps, but there's a world of options available.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-06-23, 04:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I cut the top off a cycling cap and wear it backwards. The brim seems to pull the sweat to the back of my neck. Read about this trick on the Orica-Green Edge blog many years ago.
Old 07-06-23, 05:34 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by Redbullet
The safest way is to stop and clean the glasses as needed, then press your helmet on your head to squeeze the sweat from inside sponges, to postpone the next cleaning. And be happy, because it could be even worse: if you wear sunglasses with prescription lens attached, Murpy's laws will usually guide the drops of sweat between the sun and prescription lens, so you will always need to clean 4 lens instead of 2.
In my case sweat on my glasses is not nearly as big a problem as sweat in my eyes. dave
Old 07-06-23, 09:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
In my case sweat on my glasses is not nearly as big a problem as sweat in my eyes. dave
say like HAL 9000: "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Old 07-07-23, 01:40 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by bbbean
There is a whole cottage industry devoted to caps, headbands, gutters, sponges, and other devices to keep sweat out of your eyes. I'm partial to Walz cycling caps, but there's a world of options available.
It is unfortunate (for me) that no one addresses the problem of sweat generated at/below the eyebrows. dave
Old 07-07-23, 01:52 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Are you POSITIVE the sweat is coming out below your eyebrows? Most of us sweat on our scalp and forehead, and the sweat runs down into our eyes.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-07-23, 02:55 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
It is unfortunate (for me) that no one addresses the problem of sweat generated at/below the eyebrows. dave
It has been my experience that if I drain or eliminate the sweat from above the eyebrows, the sweat generated at or below my eyebrows is minimal, but obviously YMMV.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 07-07-23, 03:49 PM
DaveLeeNC

Are you POSITIVE the sweat is coming out below your eyebrows? Most of us sweat on our scalp and forehead, and the sweat runs down into our eyes.
Been fighting this for a long time - the answer to your question is YES, although I am not sure if it is eyebrows or the skin in my eye sockets (or both).

Today is an interesting (non-cycling) example. I was on the golf course (walking but using a push cart) and it was North Carolina humid and around 90 degrees. I was waiting for a playing partner to hit and I took my towel and thoroughly dried off my face, hair, arms, and hands and walked on after he hit. When I got to my ball (a minute later maybe) my eye sockets were soaking wet. No way did sweat from my scalp/forehead make it down to my eye sockets in that amount of time (where my bucket hat serves as kind of a sweat band).

I have noticed a similar phenomenon on my bike. I recall once, on a particularly tough day (hot/humid) already wiping out my eyes at the intersection of Burning Tree Rd and Diamond Dr - this would be maybe 4 minutes into my ride. I was already wiping out my eye sockets at that point - I was probably wearing a SweatVac at the time plus (maybe) a SweatGutr (but maybe not).

Just the way it is for me - I seem to be somewhat unusual in this respect.

dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.