Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 11:35 AM
Athilda

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, AlpinaSport Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. I'm 52.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
I have a Specialized Hardrock. It's an old bike that we picked up cheap for my daughter to ride to school. I believe we're the third owners? Anyway, it's had some things replaced. Currently sporting 26 x 1.75 wheels, kind of knobby (and they're different brands).

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I just bought my first bottle of Gatorade about three weeks ago. I'm in love with that limon pepino flavor, though. I don't like sugary drinks, in general. I try to eat healthy food and have always believed that aside from prenatal vitamins, that the vitamin craze is generally a waste of money.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I was a loaf for most of my 30s and 40s. I'm definitely improved.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I started riding again about a year ago but have gone completely nuts for it since spring of this year.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
I tend to go on what I think are long rides, but looking at some of the other posts in these forums apparently I'm just a filthy casual.

I try to stick to pathways, sidewalks & paved shoulders. I absolutely hate and will avoid if at all possible, riding on roads where there is a high, solid, curb containing the roadway. I'm terrified of them.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
I try to ride every day. I've been averaging 150 miles a week for a few weeks now.
Old 07-11-16, 07:06 PM
LS05

Bikes: 2004 Cannondale CAAD5 R700 and a 2005 Litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. I'm 67.

I live in the metro NYC area. Due to a rich cycling culture and loads of fantastic LBS, 50+ riders are riding just about every imaginable style of bike available...

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No special supplements. I have however, realized the importance of eating well and getting plenty of rest and how paying attention to those 2 things has positively impacted my riding.

I've definitely "slowed" due to age, but still immensely enjoy what I'm able to attain.

Off and on since I was 8yo.

I *try* to do no less than 30 to 40 miles per ride.

I try to do 90-110 miles a week over the span of 3-4(non-consecutive) days on the saddle. I will not ride if raining or if forecast is over a 50% chance of rain. I don't feel safe on wet roads. Historically, I've been riding between 1.5k and 3k miles annually.

Last edited by LS05; 07-12-16 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 08:10 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Hello. I've not posted much in here, mostly just lurking, so here is a little intro. 60 years old. I ride a thirty five year old 36 LB Chicago Schwinn Continental, weather permitting, and an indoor recumbent. I ride one every day at least one hour. If I skip a day I feel the need to make up for it the next day. I don't keep track of miles, but average 12 mph on both.

Supplements? I take lots of them, too many to list, my wife's a self taught nutritionist. I also take no prescription drugs at this time.

I used to cycle up to about mid twenties until I lost interest due motorcycles, a nomadic lifestyle, substance abuse, you name it. If I may fast forward to 2014 after many years of being settled down I found myself to have legs that did not work any more and wound up having a spinal fusion which kept me out of a wheel chair, but left me with permanent nerve damage in both legs, one worse than the other. In other words major balance issues. I felt like I had to relearn cycling in order to stay alive.

At an hour a day I consider my self to be a casual rider at best but have shown much improvement every year I continue to improve.
Old 07-28-16, 01:18 PM
Weselfs

Bikes: 2 2015 Catrike Expeditions

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

We ride Catrike Expedition recumbent trikes.

Nah. We believe in food as medicine, and eat carefully according to our bodies needs. (We've been health food nuts for decades and grow much of our own organic food, including meats.) Neither of us are on any prescription drugs and we have no known ailments.

Not a whit, not yet. Our Catrikes are 7 months old and while DH has been a gifted cyclist since childhood, the Expedition is really the first bike I've been able to ride without hurting myself. I tend to run 2-wheeled things over cliffs and into walls. It's a skill set, just not one to put on one's resume. Ahem.

Me? Successfully since December (see above). DH has been riding unicycles, mountain bikes, road bikes and trikes since he was 5 or so years old.

Well, that will likely change, but for now we are training for a 62-mile, 3,700 feet of gain ride through the Colorado National Monument, which means we are pushing ourselves to ride faster and farther. Wednesdays we hill train 1,300-2,000 ft of gain in 16-21 miles. Weekend we try to get in two 50 mile rides with a 13.8 moving average. Last weekend we got in a 28-mile ride with a moving average of 13.9 and a 72-mile ride with a moving average of 14.4.

We also enjoy slower paced group rides, but those have to wait until after the Oct 1 ride through the Colorado National Monument.

We've pedaled 1,800 miles on these trikes in 7 months and are on pace to ride 4,000 miles this year.

Edit: whoops, missed this: we ride 3x a week, about 120 miles each week.

Last edited by Weselfs; 07-28-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-29-16, 12:12 PM
pwcfan

Bikes: Diamondback Century 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+ Noob

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? (52 years old)

I have a 2015 DiamondBack Century 1.

Fish oil.

New, full time since April 2016. Not much to slow down yet. I'm a used to be runner.

See above

Avg 120 miles per week. Carless commute = 75 miles of that. Try some group rides on the weekend with my wife and friends, who are also new to the road cycling thingy.

5-6 times/week, 120 miles per week.

No goals in mind, just fitness in preparation for retirement.
Old 07-29-16, 07:17 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Some questions:

Please tell us your age.
As of 2016 I’m 69 years old.

I ride two bikes. An aluminum Bianchi cyclocross with carbon forks outfitted for commuting, day and event rides, long distance unsupported touring and of course off road riding. My other bike is a brand new, not been ridden yet, Dahon MU getting extensive revisions. I intend to use it for destination city exploring, touring both credit card and unsupported for a variety of distances and dirt riding. I am currently riding another 20 inch folder which will be given to the local bike co-op when the Dahon is road ready. I am hesitant to mention its name because the brand has an intensely loyal following under the Folding Bike section and I consider it a poorly designed piece of junk.

I’ve been a heart patient for the last 20 years. I don’t talk about or list the meds and supplements I take online or go into any details of the procedures I’ve undergone. I will offer private advice to riders inquiring about riding with heart conditions similar to my own. I can say my cardiologist, who is an avid cyclist, told me that my riding is doing more good for my heart than any meds she can give me.

I will state that when taking long rides of any sort, I take Hammer Endurolytes capsules. It is by far the most effective electrolyte replacement of the dozens I tried.

I can ride for as long as when as I was a teenager, I just don’t go as far - not half as far.

Been biking since I was six years old and bicycling has been my principle means of transportation for most of my life with the notable exception of my junior and senior year in high school when dating pretty much demanded a car.

I do all types of riding from short hope with very overloaded panniers filled with the week’s groceries, commuting, wonderful day rides with my wife, event and charity rides, and as mentioned long distance unsupported touring.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage

Daily. Ride in the range of 5000 to 7000 Km per year. Most of my tours range between 2000 to 2500 Km.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 07-29-16, 08:01 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Please tell us your age.
Until April next year. I'm 53.

I just bought a new Bianchi Intenso. I still have and will still ride a 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Just some multi vitamins. Honestly, the wife buys them so I eat them.

None. I might be more active now than ever. I've always been involved in some kind of sport or fitness, but the amount of time I spend riding now surpasses what I've done in the past. Excluding when I was a pro water skier in my 20's.

Since 2010 ish.

Mostly solo riding. I'd call them short rec rides.

I like to do 4 days a week. That can be anything from 80 to 150 a week depending on time, weather, and upcoming events. Annual is a tough call.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
I'm 53. I like to kid with people that I'm old. But I'm truly kidding.
Old 07-29-16, 10:37 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Some questions:

Please tell us your age.
As of 2016 I’m 69 years old.

I ride two bikes. An aluminum Bianchi cyclocross with carbon forks outfitted for commuting, day and event rides, long distance unsupported touring and of course off road riding. My other bike is a brand new, not been ridden yet, Dahon MU getting extensive revisions. I intend to use it for destination city exploring, touring both credit card and unsupported for a variety of distances and dirt riding. I am currently riding another 20 inch folder which will be given to the local bike co-op when the Dahon is road ready. I am hesitant to mention its name because the brand has an intensely loyal following under the Folding Bike section and I consider it a poorly designed piece of junk.

I’ve been a heart patient for the last 20 years. I don’t talk about or list the meds and supplements I take online or go into any details of the procedures I’ve undergone. I will offer private advice to riders inquiring about riding with heart conditions similar to my own. I can say my cardiologist, who is an avid cyclist, told me that my riding is doing more good for my heart than any meds she can give me.

I will state that when taking long rides of any sort, I take Hammer Endurolytes capsules. It is by far the most effective electrolyte replacement of the dozens I tried.

I can ride for as long as when as I was a teenager, I just don’t go as far - not half as far.

Been biking since I was six years old and bicycling has been my principle means of transportation for most of my life with the notable exception of my junior and senior year in highschool when dating pretty much demanded a car.

I do all types of riding from short hops with very overloaded panniers filled with the week’s groceries, commuting, wonderful day rides with my wife, event and charity rides, and as mentioned long distance unsupported touring.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage

Daily. Ride in the range of 5000 to 7000 Km per year. Most of my tours range between 2000 to 2500 Km.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 07-31-16, 08:07 PM
Maxwell24fan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my $.02 worth

Please tell us your age. Just turned 53

This 50+ folk rides a 2016 Specialized Roubaix. Previously I was riding a 1986 Raleigh Marathon.

A daily multi-vitamin and an iron supplement.

Hard to say. I didn't keep much track of that sort of thing when I was younger so I don't have much to compare to.

I rode to get to school as a high schooler, then casually in college. Then a big gap before I picked it up again much more seriously this spring.

So far it's been 20 mile group rides x2 during the week and long rides (trying to work my way up to the century) on the weekend.

Usually about 2-3 times per week. No clue yet on the annual mileage. I'll get back to you.
Old 08-19-16, 09:55 AM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Please tell us your age.
I an 64

Mostly late 80's Cannondale SR frame based bikes. customized to my liking.
Mine are all 63cm frames, as I am a bit on the tall side..but not as tall as I used to be.
I also have several Cannlndale 68.5cm (27") touring bikes.

I sometimes drink a protein shake after my rides, Gatorade G2 during a ride,
along with Shot Bloks. I have also used Sportlegs in the past.....I gotta get some more of that...

In my late 40's, averaging 20mph for 20-30 miles solo was no problem.
In my 50's, that slowed to 19
In my 60's now, averaging 17 mph for that distance is a good day. However, I have
relocated to South Mississippi, which is quite rolling.(Previously in flat Florida.)

I rode a bunch as a kid, til I outgrew common frame sizes, and was not aware of 25" framed bikes.
I picked it back up around 1980 when I was 28, and have ridden on or off (mostly on) ever since.

Depends on time of year.
In the late winter/early spring, long rides are done if any sort of spring century or tour is planned.
During the summer, 20-30 mile stuff mostly in the earlier morning hours before the hear sets in.
Tha fall may see some longer rides prepping for fall centuries.

Typically I ride 4-5 times a week, with weekly mileage ranging from 100 to 250/week.
Annual mileage is something I have never really calculated........
Old 08-19-16, 11:38 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts

1973 MKM, imported by Turin Bicycle Coop in Evanston, Il. I bought it in the Fall of 1981

Wife has me on Vitamin B, C, & D

Lots. I'm 72. I used to cruise at 16-18 mph, now it's 12 mph.

As an adult, I've been biking since 1972, with hiatuses (hiatus? hiati?) from 1990-95 and 2003-2013.

Once I'm in shape, 20-30 mile rides, 3-4 times a week while the weather is good. Used to do a century and/or several half centuries every Summer.

3-4 times a week in good weather. The last few years have been interrupted by surgeries and family emergencies - 900 miles last year, about 375 so far this year (doc kept me off bike until mid-June). Goal is over 1000 for 2017 (sic).
Old 08-21-16, 08:13 AM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I am sixty years old. I quit a lifelong heavy smoking addiction just over a year ago though I was strong and fast until a layoff from riding a few years ago. Now the COPD has caught up with me. I have recently become obsessed with bikes of all types. I want to ride and own many that I see. I may need some type of professional help with this. Or I need a BIG storage area that I presently don't have.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? TALL 63cm
Road bikes: I have an older steel lugged Nishiki Cresta GT that I transplanted full 105 and aero 700 wheels from a broken framed bike. I have an old Raleigh that I added vintage aero 105 levers and calipers (I paid $10.00 for the bike and $50.00 for the 105 parts). I have an older Trek aluminum with old aero tri bars ( I gave $20.00 for that one ) that is always in my car for impromptu rides.

I have one Giant aluminum mountain bike that I rarely ride. The road riding is so much easier in my later years but after posting this I'm breaking out the Giant!

I take a multi-vitamin and additional Folic Acid and vitamin D.

I have slowed down immensely after a layoff and trying to get back into "top form" whatever that may be now.

Like many I rode a lot as a youth and didn't start riding again until my mid-thirties.

I rode cross state rides for many years but now it's more the 5 to 25 mile range.

Almost daily. Approximately 1000 miles annually.
Old 09-14-16, 07:30 AM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
deephate, Hop in my boat, we are same, except I quit smokes long ago. I too had road bike, MTB, and a commuter, and a nice barn. still long hours in the saddle screamed one thing over and over.
COMFORT, reliability and do what I want.
I sold all my bikes and got me a Surly Long Haul Trucker, I have to tell you, it's twice as heavy as my Specialized, so I loose 14 LBS.
This steel bike is so stinking comfortable, no more hand fatigue, and all the hardware quit vibrating off. Very well made.
I can ride it all over town, even a little packed dirt or gravel is ok, I can go empty or load it up. It has just the right gearing and talk about reliable, wow.
I can even ride the BEAR CLAW POPPY with it, but don't want to. Their may be other bikes just like it, but the Surly has a nice price tag.
I have been touring, run it to the store, doctors office, haul parts for work, and just go for joy rides out to the lake . SLOW down, enjoy the ride.

And to the first person here.
Mr UN-Popular here,,STAY HYDRATED,, I can tell you horror stories all day about not drinking water. I can't count the times my self or another has got real sick.

I am editing this, in my emoticon ,,left, little pic of tent/bicycle 02 HardRock, This was a day they had to go back for me. The support vehicle had all the water, my Camel Bak was empty, it got ugly.

Last edited by Nycycle; 09-14-16 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-25-16, 08:18 AM
Trikegypsy

Bikes: '14 Trek 7.3 FX waiting on '17 Specialized Dolce Evo w/ upgrades

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? '14 Trek 7.3 FX but it wasn't fit properly and was causing hand numbness, so I just pulled the trigger on a 17 Specialized Dolce Evo....being upgraded to Sram Rival prior to pick up and professional fit session.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Nope, Have a hard time remembering to take scripts.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Actually more active now than in years. Lost 40 lbs so far, and still working on it.

Raced a bit in the early 80's in the Virginia hills....yes, I've ridden last years World Championships course. Life got me out of cycling for many years. Fast forward to last year, and knee/injury and surgery. Used Cycling as a portion of my rehab and re-found my love of it. Now I'm serious and would like to train towards next year's state TT.

Right now I'm restricted to trainer time...but pushing towards longer distances/elapsed time with a cadence around 80rpm.

Shooting at 6 days a week, but have never kept annual stats.

62 y.o. Female with a new job (starting tomorrow :-) and a new bike. Can't wait for the bike to arrive and get released to ride outside again. Meanwhile, I just keep on Zwifting every morning on the flat-bar.
Old 09-29-16, 11:55 PM
RandyO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been lurking here off and on and finally made a few posts so I guess I'm obligated to do the "Intro" thing. I'm a 62 Y.O. male currently in year 41 of a life sentence W/O parole (my wife never reads forums ).

Just sold my seldom used Novara Safari (Touring Hybrid) and replaced it with a Tern Node D16. Too big to carry around but small enough to be hauled in my vehicle to provide me with more riding opportunities.

Been taking at a minimum some type of multivitamin forever, but as I’ve learned more about nutrition and health I’ve added more supplements (D, B-complex, Curcumin, Fish Oil, occasional extra “C”, off and on with Glucosamine Chondroitin, and Magnesium).

Only nagging wear and tear slows me down. Physically I feel better than ever due to the dietary improvements and significant weight loss. The Low-Carb Paleo lifestyle has energized me overall. I've always tried to be active one way or another but 40+ years of being overweight has left me with a few foot and heel issues that have minimized my fondness for 3 to 5 mile hikes and led me to increase my cycling.

Never a serious biker, but usually had a bike around. Maybe cycle once or twice a month at most until my mid 40’s, and then only a little more often. Started riding more consistently in my 50’s but even then not more than a couple of times a week for less than 15 miles per ride.

Recently – and for the foreseeable future I’ll probably be riding 3 or 4 times a week at most. Typically 2 or 3 short rides (5 to 7 miles) per week and one longer ride (15-20 miles) on a weekend. Babysitting grandkids 3 days a week, a full time job, taking care of life's necessities, and another hobby does not leave me with significant cycling time.
Old 10-10-16, 10:52 AM
rpenn57

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Age – 59 as of Sept 2016

2. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
2013 Fuji Roubaix – aluminum frame, carbon forks. Also old generic mtn bike.

3. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I am type II diabetic – takes 3 meds for that, no insulin, and take 50+ vitamins. And Advil as needed.

4. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Slowed down a lot. I usually average about 13 -14 mph. I used to race local Cat 3 criteriums and road races. I want to increase my speed back up to at least 15 – 16 mph

5. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Started riding a lot, and long distances when I was about 23. I’m now 59.

6. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
I ride my road bike between 15 -25 miles and my mountain bike between 10-15 miles.

7. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Try to ride twice a week. Max of about 35 miles. Trying to increase that.
Old 10-10-16, 12:25 PM
47p2

Bikes: N+1+1+1+1+1 etc

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Road, track (velodrome), cyclocross

No

20% slower than I was 30 years ago

Most of my life but with a long time away from cycling when the kids were young

Long for me is 110 miles, short is 20 miles

5000miles per annum, 4 or 5 times per week
Old 10-12-16, 04:49 PM
PedalheadSavage

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. I'm 53.

My current bike is a Fuji Absolute 2.1, This was an upgrade from a Walmart after Christmas special that I rode for 11 years until it was completely wore out.

I take a multivitamin, but I am not very regular about it.

I've never been super athletic, but have avoided the major heath pitfalls so far.

I've biked since I was in elementary school, didn't do much at all once I got out of college, then got back in, commuting to work around the time I turned forty.

I commute daily (if you can call a 2.5 mile ride a "commute"), and go on casual rides on the weekend, 15-30 miles.

I've kept a journal since 2012, and I average 1600-1900 miles per year.
Old 10-12-16, 07:23 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Just turned 50 on 1/27/05

25 year old steel Davidson with Campy NR mix of parts.
23 year old steel Zilioli with Campy SR pantograph, columbus SL tubing. A classic high-end Italian racing bike.

A 1 week old Kuota Kharma CF bike with Campy Chorus and other Italian parts. (You get the feeling I'm biased to Italian bikes and parts?) The only thing non-Italian are the pedals (Look) and the inner tubes, even the tires are Vittoria. (Yes I know, made in Thailand, the frame is actually made in Taiwan too.) This bike is a rocket. I wish I had something like this when I was younger.

10 year old Trek 8000 mtb. All Aluminum, Shimano Deore DX components.

Say what??? I'm still as agile as ever, and faster on the bike than I ever was. No need for this stuff.

See above.

I bought a Peugeot PX10 when I was 15. Been riding ever since.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Long fast rides when I have the time. Short fast rides otherwise. I went 35 miles today in 35 degree temps, and I could've gone another 35, but ran out of time.

4-5 times a week when the daylight permits. I don't commute. I did about 2500 miles last year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Does chasing after twins count? If I had more time I'd ride more.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
Eleven years have elapsed since I replied, wow. So, an update:

First off, I'm 61 now.

1. I still have the Davidson, Trek 8000 and the Zilioli, but I crashed the Kuota Kharma and replaced the frame with a Kuota Kredo within months of buying it. I still ride the Kredo. I also have a Trek 7000 mtb from 1990 that I upgraded with XT parts. Maybe you'd say it isn't worth doing, but I didn't spend much. This has become my commuter bike.

2/3 Still don't take anything. I've slowed a little in the past 11 years.

4 hasn't changed of course.

5. I still do occasional long rides of 50+ miles, and a century or two per year. A few years ago I attempted to climb Mt. Haleakala in Maui, 10,000 feet of climbing, all uphill, no break. I "only" made it to the 6000 foot mark, by far the longest climb I've ever done. I still want to try it again. I also started commuting about 5-6 years ago, 10 miles each way, but only once or twice a week.

6. Still the same, although this year was maybe less because of work. I still try to get out as much as possible.

7. The twins are in college, the only other exercise are arm lifts. Beer glasses are heavy.
Old 10-17-16, 06:11 AM
hiller

Bikes: Schwinn Median, Marin Fairfax SC-6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyO
I've been lurking here off and on and finally made a few posts so I guess I'm obligated to do the "Intro" thing. I'm a 62 Y.O. male currently in year 41 of a life sentence W/O parole (my wife never reads forums ).

Been taking at a minimum some type of multivitamin forever, but as I’ve learned more about nutrition and health I’ve added more supplements (D, B-complex, Curcumin, Fish Oil, occasional extra “C”, off and on with Glucosamine Chondroitin, and Magnesium).

Recently – and for the foreseeable future I’ll probably be riding 3 or 4 times a week at most. Typically 2 or 3 short rides (5 to 7 miles) per week and one longer ride (15-20 miles) on a weekend. Babysitting grandkids 3 days a week, a full time job, taking care of life's necessities, and another hobby does not leave me with significant cycling time.

Hey, Randy. Welcome to the forums. Are you in the US? I wonder because I never heard of either of the bike makes you mentioned. Sounds like you're doing a fair amount of biking considering your circumstances. It helps if you're in a warm climate, too. It's Fall here in NJ and soon it'll be too cold to enjoy anything outdoors, at least for me.
I'm curious about the supplements you take. I know a lot of people take them. Can you tell the difference? Is there a big change in your health or energy, do you think? Regards, Ron (Hiller)
Old 10-17-16, 06:35 AM
hiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eleven years have elapsed since I replied, wow. So, an update:

First off, I'm 61 now.

5. I still do occasional long rides of 50+ miles, and a century or two per year. A few years ago I attempted to climb Mt. Haleakala in Maui, 10,000 feet of climbing, all uphill, no break. I "only" made it to the 6000 foot mark, by far the longest climb I've ever done. I still want to try it again. I also started commuting about 5-6 years ago, 10 miles each way, but only once or twice a week.

6. Still the same, although this year was maybe less because of work. I still try to get out as much as possible.

7. The twins are in college, the only other exercise are arm lifts. Beer glasses are heavy.
That's great, zacster! You're still in great shape and about as consistent here as humanly possible, lol. I hope you're not still an Italian parts aficiando, as that can get pricey. Glad you still don't need meds. The attempt up Mt. Haleakala really got my attention. (Just going to HI is exciting, anyway.) Sounds like the ultimate test for hilling! Are we talking a paved road straight up? Do you know if it's also pedestrian-friendly? Keep up the great work, very inspiring to the rest of us.
Old 10-17-16, 08:29 AM
RandyO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only difference I've noticed with supplements is helping to minimize night cramps in legs. I really need to maintain my magnesium, potassium, and sodium levels when I ride and/or squeeze in a hard workout. The biggest "feeling better" nutritional change for me was changing to a low carb "paleo" or "Atkins" type diet a couple of years ago. Down 40+ pounds and improvement in all health markers. I'm hooked for life in that respect.
Novara bikes are a brand sold by a West Coast chain (REI). Tern makes primarily folding bikes. Do some googling. Family offshoot of Dahon.
I live in the S.F Bay Area.
Old 10-19-16, 05:38 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by hiller
That's great, zacster! You're still in great shape and about as consistent here as humanly possible, lol. I hope you're not still an Italian parts aficiando, as that can get pricey. Glad you still don't need meds. The attempt up Mt. Haleakala really got my attention. (Just going to HI is exciting, anyway.) Sounds like the ultimate test for hilling! Are we talking a paved road straight up? Do you know if it's also pedestrian-friendly? Keep up the great work, very inspiring to the rest of us.
To climb Haleakala you take a series of paved roads from the town of Paia on the beach all the way up to the 10023' end of the road in the National Park. There are a few ways to get up to around 3500', and then you go up the rest of the way on the same road. It is completely paved, well paved at that, and I never felt like the cars were too close. As for pedestrian friendly, it is a very long way up, so nobody is walking that. You rise 10000' over 36 miles.

A few considerations on a ride like that: You start getting into thinner air as you get towards the top, just when you need the most. It is cold at the top too, not a problem going up, but when you turn around to go down you need extra layers. You have to carry everything with you unless you have a sag wagon, it is easy enough to convince your spouse/friend/family as Haleakala is one of the primary destinations on Maui anyway.

When I made it up to the first town, Makawao, it struck me that I just did a longer climb than anything nearby to NYC, and I was just starting. I knew I had a long day ahead of me. It's a great ride, and I'm hoping to try again. But at 61, it'll be getting harder. As for getting to Maui, my son now is a commercial pilot and I get the benefit of free flights so I can go anytime there are seats available! Can't take my bike though, I'd have to rent one but there are plenty of decent road bikes to rent there.

I'm still an Italian at heart, but the XT 10sp that I installed on my MTB is hard to beat.
Old 10-19-16, 08:48 AM
hiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To climb Haleakala you take a series of paved roads from the town of Paia on the beach all the way up to the 10023' end of the road in the National Park. There are a few ways to get up to around 3500', and then you go up the rest of the way on the same road. It is completely paved, well paved at that, and I never felt like the cars were too close. As for pedestrian friendly, it is a very long way up, so nobody is walking that. You rise 10000' over 36 miles...
Nice writeup, thanks. Yes, 36 miles would be a long haul on foot, lol. I hadn't thought about the trip down- yikes, better have good pads! Lucky you, with the free flights, but I'm surprised you can't take the bike as luggage.
Old 10-19-16, 08:56 AM
hiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyO
Only difference I've noticed with supplements is helping to minimize night cramps in legs. I really need to maintain my magnesium, potassium, and sodium levels when I ride and/or squeeze in a hard workout. The biggest "feeling better" nutritional change for me was changing to a low carb "paleo" or "Atkins" type diet a couple of years ago. Down 40+ pounds and improvement in all health markers. I'm hooked for life in that respect.
Novara bikes are a brand sold by a West Coast chain (REI). Tern makes primarily folding bikes. Do some googling. Family offshoot of Dahon.
I live in the S.F Bay Area.
Congrats, on dropping that weight, Randy. Sure has to help. I guess the supplements won't make you feel good but not taking them might make you feel worse. Hate night cramps. I used to get them sometimes after long walks in NYC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.