Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Needed tubes: tried bike shops, Amazon won out

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-23, 04:19 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts

3pm - decide to clean/lube chain on bike and change both tires.

3:30 pm - realize none of the tubes in my stock have the 60mm stem length the wheels on this bike require. I hop in the car, was trying to squeeze this in before Covid shot appointment at 5:30 pm. I like to support local bike shops as much as possible.

3:45 pm - Bike shop a few miles away that I try to support doesn't have 6omm either. I've used 80mm in past but I think the extra length causes leverage when pumping up and I had valve flats. 48MM is just a bit too short for my pumps.

4:00 - Bike shop 12 miles away where I bought the bike had 80mm stems in right tube size but not 60mm but I have to get my Covid shot - will go on Tues

4:10 - Just for grins, check online - most of my usual sources are out of stock except Amazon - they have a four pack with free same day delivery if I order by 5pm and I have Amazon points that cover the entire cost.

10pm - Tires dropped off.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 10-03-23, 04:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I guess this is why JB has a spaceship and billions of dollars while your LBS owner doesn’t.
Old 10-03-23, 04:53 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
What was wrong with the existing tubes?
Old 10-03-23, 05:46 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 133 Posts
What was your day before 3 pm? In 15 min intervals please.
Old 10-03-23, 05:54 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
The amazing thing is that Amazon literally lost money on your transaction, provided it was only for the tubes. Delivery alone absorbed any profit realized.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 10-03-23, 06:08 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Improve your pumping technique, and you could’ve had 80mm valve tubes installed hours earlier, AND supported local biz.
Old 10-03-23, 06:27 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The amazing thing is that Amazon literally lost money on your transaction, provided it was only for the tubes. Delivery alone absorbed any profit realized.
The amazing thing is that without knowing how much Amazon paid for the tubes and how much the OP paid for the tubes someone knows that Amazon lost money on the transaction.

Having their own last mile delivery system the marginal cost of delivery depends on a lot of factors. But if the extra time and distance to deliver the package was low enough, Amazon's revenue could have exceeded the cost of goods plus the cost of delivery.

I often buy things both large (think carbon fiber wheels) and small (think brake pads) from my LBS just to pay them for the service they give to the community by things like running group rides and events.

And I find that their prices are often within 10% of what I will pay from trustworthy online sellers.
Old 10-03-23, 06:35 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
What's worse is that he ordered tubes and they dropped off tires.
Old 10-03-23, 06:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
For the record, I've succesfully reused old tubes with new tires.

Hope OP had fun surfing (and waiting until 10:00 to collect Amazon delivery).
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-03-23, 09:39 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Amazon doesn't pay their drivers hardly anything and I know some are contractors so they don't have to deal with them as employees so they can treat them even worse. Amazon can buy in massive bulk quantities so they probably didn't lose much given that their founder and now executive chairman has almost 150 BILLION DOLLARS I think they are doing just fine.

Length of tube is usually not an issue unless too small in the end as long as you aren't rough on your valves which is not a difficult thing you will be fine however yes having the right size isn't a bad thing.
Old 10-03-23, 10:39 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Can't remember the last time I bought a tube at a bike shop.

eBay is less expensive, has exactly what I need, I can shop without traveling all over town, and it's delivered to my front door.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-03-23, 11:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Back in the olden days when we still had a government, this would be called dumping and the corporation would be broken up for doing that.
Incorrect and incorrect.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-03-23, 11:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
10pm - Tires dropped off.
You won on this transaction since you bought tubes and received tires, but what about the tubes?...you still cant ride your bike?

All seriousness- what was wrong with the 2 tubes already on the bike? Do you just change tubes at scheduled intervals, regardless of need? Thats preventative maintenance to another level, if thats what you are doing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-03-23, 11:59 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Back in the olden days when we still had a government, this would be called dumping and the corporation would be broken up for doing that.
Hold up- are you saying it was illegal for a company to intentionally take a loss on an item in order to incentivize purchases, and companies would be broken up as a result?
If I want to sell milk for cost, or even less, because I think it will bring in new business that will in turn purchase other items and more than offset the milk's pricing, why cant I do that?

^ this assumes there is no pricing agreement in place to not sell a product for less than X.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-03-23, 12:45 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Brick and mortar stores are a thing of the past for numerous items these days. It's a dying business. Who wants to leave their house and go stand in line somewhere to buy something or find out that the shop/store doesn't have what you need? Easier to order online. Save money, save gas, save wear and tear on your car. Win-Win.

Just purchased a KMC 12 speed chain from eBay last night for my mountain bike. $20 delivered to my door. Cheapest chain I can find locally is $36 which doesn't include the 60 mile round trip, gas burnt up and wear and tear on my vehicle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374785493508

Last edited by prj71; 10-03-23 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-03-23, 01:52 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Hold up- are you saying it was illegal for a company to intentionally take a loss on an item in order to incentivize purchases, and companies would be broken up as a result?
If I want to sell milk for cost, or even less, because I think it will bring in new business that will in turn purchase other items and more than offset the milk's pricing, why cant I do that?
It's called loss leader pricing, which is selling a good below its production cost in order to attract customers. It is illegal to sell goods below production cost in about half the US states, and some other states ban the practice for specific items; some countries ban it, too. However, I doubt that there is much enforcement, at least here in the US, since it would be difficult to prove -- and also because it likely doesn't reduce consumer well-being. It's often sound business practice to sell goods below cost, as that would sometimes entail lower losses than sticking to the original price. (Think about day-old bread as a simple example.)

Note that, along with mislabeling it as "dumping," icemilkcoffee 's claim that companies used to be "broken up" for doing this is simply false.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-03-23, 02:16 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Who wants to leave their house and go stand in line somewhere to buy something
Me. I do.
I also appreciate the million things my LBS (or any of the other locally owned and operated retail stores I frequent) do for me, for my community, and for our local/regional/national economy. I'm a big fan of buying something I need and taking it home - right then - certain that I got the right part, I know how to install it, can return it for immediate replacement if there's a problem, and got to hang out with other cyclists while I was doing it. I like buying from the same guy who's at the group ride, charity event, and/or race handing out free energy gels and dong free adjustments at the start line. I like buying from a guy who will remind me my new dimfrigit requires a special tool, one he's willing to loan me. I like buying from the shop that hires local kids. I like...

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 10-03-23, 02:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
The takeaway is that, in this case, Amazon had what the OP wanted and got them to him quickly (assuming he meant tubes dropped off).

Stop the presses!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-03-23, 02:30 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by dedhed
What was wrong with the existing tubes?
Maybe they were the wrong shade of black and thus didn’t match the new tires. Other than that, I got nothin’.
Old 10-03-23, 02:35 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bbbean
Me. I do.
Ditto.

Old 10-03-23, 02:45 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I live 2 miles from a major Amazon FC.
I get bike parts/supplies usually next day without paying a dime extra for delivery.
Amazon, eBay and others are storefronts often for LBS's or larger distributors.

My LBS went out of business because in the owner's words he could not get parts.
I do not know the whole story on that one.
Old 10-03-23, 04:24 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The problem is Amazon is selling at a loss in order to bankrupt their competitors. Hence anti-competitive. Amazon is only turning a profit because of their cloud service. I suppose they have enough lawyers and lawmakers in their pockets that it's not considered 'dumping', but that is exactly what they have been doing.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 10-03-23, 04:24 PM
Billlyy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Amazon!!!

Love Amazon I literally buy everything I need !!!
if they don’t have it
you don’t need it!!!
Likes For Billlyy:
Old 10-03-23, 04:33 PM
Koyote

The problem is Amazon is selling at a loss in order to bankrupt their competitors. Hence anti-competitive. Amazon is only turning a profit because of their cloud service. I suppose they have enough lawyers and lawmakers in their pockets that it's not considered 'dumping', but that is exactly what they have been doing.
It's not considered 'dumping' because it's not dumping. This has already been explained, with a link. Dumping is something very different.

As for whether they sold the tubes at a loss...Well, you don't even know what the OP paid for them. So how do you reach this conclusion? Further, we don't know whether the OP actually bought the tubes from Amazon (unlikely), or if he bought them from a shop that uses Amazon as a marketplace (likely). And either way, do you really believe that Amazon's plan for world domination hinges on selling inner tubes below production cost? Really?

It's fine to hate Amazon, but you shouldn't let that drive you to just make stuff up.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-03-23, 04:55 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Billlyy
Love Amazon I literally buy everything I need !!!
if they don’t have it
you don’t need it!!!
I hope you bend a derailleur hanger soon.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.