Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

aluminum vs. steel rims on 27" bikes, gyro forces etc..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

aluminum vs. steel rims on 27" bikes, gyro forces etc..

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 03:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Time to retrieve that old 12V truck battery from the shed, mount it on the rack. Great for training as well as traction.
Old 05-18-23, 03:40 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26420 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Less than half a pound difference in wheel mass will make no significant difference in terms of braking inertia. If you spin a wheel up in a workstand and apply the brake it will stop dead instantly. There is very little wheel inertia, whether steel, alloy or carbon rims. The only significant inertia when braking on a bicycle is from your own bodyweight.
...gonna be a while before you get a response.
Old 05-18-23, 03:49 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
There are a lot of alloys. If someone means 'aluminum' or 'aluminium', I wish they'd just write it that way.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 05-18-23, 05:49 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
There are a lot of alloys. If someone means 'aluminum' or 'aluminium', I wish they'd just write it that way.
In this particular hobby, it’s kind of understood that when someone says “alloy” they mean aluminum alloy.
Old 05-18-23, 09:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Nope.
In cycling, any steel alloys are called 'steel'. Any aluminum alloys are called 'alloy' or 'aluminum'. Any titanium alloys are called 'titanium'.
It's just reality for the hobby.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-19-23, 05:20 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Nope.
In cycling, any steel alloys are called 'steel'. Any aluminum alloys are called 'alloy' or 'aluminum'. Any titanium alloys are called 'titanium'.
It's just reality for the hobby.
It's the same in other similar applications e.g. alloy car wheels. Nobody ever refers to them as "aluminium" wheels (well at least not in the UK). "Alloy" is simply short hand for "Aluminium Alloy" in this kind of application. Nobody is going to think they are made of any other metal alloy. Maybe some other English speaking countries refer to them as "Aluminium" or "Aluminum" wheels instead. I wouldn't know.
Old 05-19-23, 05:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Kind of interesting that mainstream autos moved to alloy/aluminum wheels in the same time frame as bikes. Don't see them following bikes to carbon but who knows?
Old 05-19-23, 07:34 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Kind of interesting that mainstream autos moved to alloy/aluminum wheels in the same time frame as bikes. Don't see them following bikes to carbon but who knows?
The move to alloy car wheels was mostly aesthetic. Cheap cast alloy production wheels are very heavy and relatively weak. But nobody cares as long as they look good.

Forged alloy and magnesium wheels are used in most racing applications and carbon wheels are now starting to appear. But carbon doesn’t lend itself to cheap mass production on an automotive scale.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-19-23, 07:50 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,044 Times in 4,477 Posts
Carbon fiber wheels have been made for cars for at least 5 years. Some cars have cf brake rotors, suspension components, and body panels.

Likes For big john:
Old 05-19-23, 07:52 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,044 Times in 4,477 Posts
Here is one from 2012.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-23-23, 06:28 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
and any and all "steel" is also an "alloy" .
Old 05-23-23, 06:38 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by big john
Carbon fiber wheels have been made for cars for at least 5 years. Some cars have cf brake rotors, suspension components, and body panels.

for the sake of fleshing out general knowledge...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinfo...E2%80%93carbon
Old 05-23-23, 06:53 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by terrymorse
You, a mechanic, is telling me, a Mechanical Engineer (BS & MS), to read a few books on the properties of steel?! Thank you, but I've studied enough about steel to last a career.

I will attempt to clarify the above statements:

High strength (spring) steel and mild steel both have about an equal amount of elasticity: the same force will deflect them both by the same amount--until the force is higher than the material's yield strength. Since spring steel has a high yield strength, it can withstand a high force without deforming permanently. Mild steel, on the other hand, has a lower yield stress, so it cannot be stressed as highly without deforming permanently. High strength steel is more brittle than mild steel, but it won't shatter like glass if it is dropped. When high strength steel is stressed beyond its yield limit, it tends to break. Unlike mild steel, which will simply deform permanently.
Except many actual experts disagree with your simplistic interpretations. Here's the first return that popped up.. i'm not taking a stand for or against you, but just sayin' that you may be very wrong, according to many experts in the field... oh, and a coil spring twists, just for the record... How does that figure into your stated position? Remember.. there are literally THOUSANDS of majority Iron Alloys available... and the production methods employed can also Dramatically alter their performance and machinability characteristics, eh? What Heat treating would you use to create an actual spring? and does that vary from form to form of spring? just curious. https://blog.thepipingmart.com/metal...he-difference/

Last edited by maddog34; 05-23-23 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-23-23, 07:27 PM
maddog34

Time to retrieve that old 12V truck battery from the shed, mount it on the rack. Great for training as well as traction.
awww, why play around?.. go for a Locomotive battery... you'll need some more spokes tho... they average about 1500 Pounds... a local ham radio repeater has 6 of them installed for backup during power outages... they had to specially reinforce and thicken the Concrete floor in the shack.....
Old 05-23-23, 09:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,640 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Agree with the others. There's not much good to be said about steel rim wheels. That said, steel rims wheels aren't terrible. They're functional as long as you're mindful of their limitations.

I rebuilt a 1973 Sekine SHR recently with a double butted chrome moly main triangle and steel rim wheels which were OEM on the bike. The bike parts (other than the rims) were pretty good for 1973 (suntour derailleurs, dia compe centerpull brakes, SR swaged alloy crank) and the bike rides nicely. I may swap out the wheels one day for aluminum. I paid $20 for the bike and sunk around $18 worth of parts (plus labor obviously) to get it in good riding shape.

AND REI COOP water bottle.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-23-23, 11:13 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
Except many actual experts disagree with your simplistic interpretations. Here's the first return that popped up.. i'm not taking a stand for or against you, but just sayin' that you may be very wrong, according to many experts in the field...
Simplistic interpretations? Very wrong about the fundamental mechanical properties of steel? Because of “many experts”?!

LOL.

Old 05-23-23, 11:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
awww, why play around?.. go for a Locomotive battery... you'll need some more spokes tho... they average about 1500 Pounds... a local ham radio repeater has 6 of them installed for backup during power outages... they had to specially reinforce and thicken the Concrete floor in the shack.....
thats why they call radio guys sparks

Old 06-07-23, 06:46 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I'm not sure why this has popped back in, but my only response is "Okay!"
Old 06-07-23, 08:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'm not sure why this has popped back in, but my only response is "Okay!"
looks like it popped back up because you resurrected a 2 week old thread.
...unless someone else posted then deleted.
Old 06-07-23, 08:18 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I know. I just think it’s funny that in the third decade of the 21st century grown adults are still talking about steel rims.
Well... they steel still exist.
Old 06-07-23, 08:47 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The move to alloy car wheels was mostly aesthetic. Cheap cast alloy production wheels are very heavy and relatively weak. But nobody cares as long as they look good.

Forged alloy and magnesium wheels are used in most racing applications and carbon wheels are now starting to appear. But carbon doesn’t lend itself to cheap mass production on an automotive scale.
mmm... not really and relatively compared to what? In the 70s-90s maybe, but still lighter than steelies. A oem alloy wheel might be 12-17ish lbs without a tire. The steelies on my old cvpi with Eagle RSA's were like 40/50lbs, any S550 Mustang alloy I could've put on it would be much lighter combo. Also depends on how the wheel was made, how strong it is.

You'll find more motorcycles with carbon wheels, than cars, most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if a few Porsche had them. The Mustang gt350r had them. Hyper cars don't even typically use them, niether do most race cars.
Old 06-07-23, 09:14 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Well... they steel still exist.
Old 06-07-23, 10:07 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
mmm... not really and relatively compared to what? In the 70s-90s maybe, but still lighter than steelies. A oem alloy wheel might be 12-17ish lbs without a tire. The steelies on my old cvpi with Eagle RSA's were like 40/50lbs, any S550 Mustang alloy I could've put on it would be much lighter combo. Also depends on how the wheel was made, how strong it is.

You'll find more motorcycles with carbon wheels, than cars, most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if a few Porsche had them. The Mustang gt350r had them. Hyper cars don't even typically use them, niether do most race cars.
I was talking specifically about the general move from steel to alloy wheels on mundane production cars of the 80s. Cheap, relatively heavy, relatively weak cast alloys that offered no meaningful advantage other than aesthetics. Quite a few production car racers of the time preferred pressed steel wheels because they were stronger.

Even today there is a large difference in weight and strength between a typical OEM cast alloy wheel and a high-end forged alloy. Some of the stock Porsche alloys are surprisingly heavy. Obviously there are practically no steel equivalents today in this market.