Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here had TKR (total knee replacement)?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 02:30 PM
mariank

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 1 road; Fuji Absolute 1 hybrid; NorcoXFR2 trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi - I'm new to this site and have been getting back into cycling post-retirement. Like others, over the years at work I put on the pounds. They eventually became part of my excuse kit to avoid riding. Well, not anymore. I'm facing knee replacement at the end of this year and know that my recovery will be much better if I've dropped the weight and gained some fitness. So I'm back on the bikes and feeling like a kid again. But of course, this kind of big surgery is scary and so I'm looking for folks who have had it and found their way back to cycling.
Old 07-23-21, 08:12 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from 50+ forum to 50+ Pills & Ills forum.

Old 07-23-21, 07:23 PM
xenabr549

Bikes: Brand new 2021 Trek FX 1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Had both replaced 2017 and 2018, used exercise bike a lot in recovery,, didnt start riding until 2020,, really enjoy it, much easier on my knees than walking.. good luck.
Old 07-25-21, 12:18 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by xenabr549
Had both replaced 2017 and 2018, used exercise bike a lot in recovery,, didnt start riding until 2020,, really enjoy it, much easier on my knees than walking.. good luck.
How much knee flexion can you do?

I've heard that's the toughest thing to regain with a TKR.

Old 07-25-21, 01:58 AM
xenabr549

Bikes: Brand new 2021 Trek FX 1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have , I would guess around 115 degrees flexion,,, riding my exercise bike was the key in my recovery. Flexion was the hardest thing to recover for me.
Old 07-25-21, 02:22 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
In my case, I'm in a situation where the more riding I do, the better the knees feel. I was doing all my errands by bike a couple years ago and it really helped a lot. Then I got lazy Nonetheless, without riding, I get to the point where I can barely walk.

Anyway, each person is different. My father got both knees replaced at the same time. He was strong at the time, but with bad knees. It really helped him. As mentioned above, stretching ligaments was a problem for him.
Old 07-28-21, 02:38 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Left knee replacement at 47, Nov 2010. Got me back on bikes.

Right replaced last October.

Left has 140+ degrees ROM. Still working on Right, which is at 138. Measured by my PT.

First couple weeks suck. Bad. But things improve. My first hurt so bad before surgery, it was sort of a relief. The second, improved quickly. But I was also better prepared..

Strengthen your quad muscles and stretch your hamstring and IT Band a lot before surgery. This will help you as you heal. You could have some pain, swelling and bruising at and below the knee for up to 2 months. Your knee will be warm to the touch for a couple months. You can have swelling out to a year or more. The more you move, soon, the better your chances. You will never have the same range of motion as your original knee. But you should never have pain in the knee itself. You will have MUSCLE pain as you heal and strengthen.

I put my left off way too long. I didn't make that mistake for my other one. I can ride for a couple hours, hike for miles, climb stairs till my heart and lungs scream. My results are my own. Everyone heals differently. In my case, my surgeon said the knee has a design limit of 150 degrees. So that has been my goal for both.

Best part of knee replacement? Never thinking about knees when I want to do something.