Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-24, 10:31 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
little-est t2p has been working on a 37 yr old car - and it has reminded me of why I grew tired of old muscle cars … one thing after another typically requires attention

his car sat for an extended period - inside fortunately - but still a significant amount of work required … fuel tank full of crap … fuel lines … hoses … seals … gaskets … just about anything and everything rubber is compromised and needs to be replaced
Every time I think about owning an old car - because I'm 66 and prone to nostalgia - what stops me doing anything, apart from 1) lack of money, 2) lack of space, 3) lack of time, and 4) the desire to remain married, is the realization of just how OLD any car I'd want is. AND the fact that, honestly, they didn't run all that well in the first place. They weren't designed or engineered to last for 50 or 60 years. BITD, getting 10 years and 100K miles out of them was a major feat! So, yeah - all the perishable bits would have perished.

I had a friend after high school whose family was pretty well off for that area. They bought him a car when he turned 16 - not a NEW car, but he could choose his own USED car. His choice? a 1938 Chevy 5-window coupe. It was in good shape! No rust, mechanically sound, ran great. He got the interior redone. It was a nice, very individual ride. He was out driving it on US Rt. 30 with his brother, just driving along on a nice straight stretch, when suddenly he realized that the steering wheel was not connected to the front wheels anymore. Luckily, it drifted to the right instead of the left, and he ended up in a ditch, rather than in oncoming traffic. What had happened was a cotter pin had broken and allowed some part of the steering rack to come apart. The damage to the car was minimal and easily fixed, but he never trusted that car again.

That's something I think about with old cars.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-16-24, 10:46 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
BTW, If you look at the sky in both this picture and mine, you can see how blue the sky is. That's normal here. I will miss that, when I have that pale bluish white sky you get Back East in the Summer.
And the reduced visibility that comes with that bluish haze. I guess it's all that humidity.

As long as the onshore winds are blowing, and there are no nearby wildfires, our sky stays blue with high visibility all summer.

Excluding the fog, of course.

Calaveras Road

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-16-24, 10:55 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
his car sat for an extended period - inside fortunately - but still a significant amount of work required … fuel tank full of crap … fuel lines … hoses … seals … gaskets … just about anything and everything rubber is compromised and needs to be replaced
Some rubber is only good for 10 years in AZ. Mom's car is only 9 years old and her sway bar end links are cracked and well on their way to crumbling. Gonna try to get under there tomorrow morning and replace all the steering/suspension rubbers. Hopefully traction control nonsense doesn't create too much difficulty - maybe a couple extra wires to unplug/plug back in?
Old 03-16-24, 10:56 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28621 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Gross.
Old 03-16-24, 11:07 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
<Rant>
Old cars. I've had a few. A 66 series Land Rover, a P1800 Volvo. A couple of old Volvos. So I really get pi... irritated with the people who post some of the old car misinformation on BF.

Four cylinder engines are a tool of the devil. And front wheel drive is why they are now under square. I didn't know that. But what do I know about engine design? Oh, feces... I used to design engin control software.

Couldn't have anything to do with the inherent tendency of over square engine to create higher levels of NOx. Surface to volume ratios, thermal transfer and crap like that. Nah, can't be that.

And by the way, we drive a RWD and live in the lesser white north. Could it possibly be that winter tires make more of a difference than anything else?

Nah can't possibly be that. I mean, the traction control and antilock brakes on a Jaguar couldn't make a RWD car handle great on ice.

And my fellow control engineers couldn't possibly overcome the torque steering in FWD cars by modulating power. Like they have tamed the rear end twitch on a 911?

<End of rant>
Old 03-16-24, 11:11 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
Greek^^^^
Old 03-16-24, 11:20 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Greek^^^^
It's in English format, though the meaning is indecipherable. I got lost at "old cars."
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 03-16-24, 11:22 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Greek^^^^
Right, so I have seen that you don't post<expletive> about a subject you don't know anything about...
Old 03-16-24, 11:36 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Right, so I have seen that you don't post<expletive> about a subject you don't know anything about...
There are very few subjects that I know much about in this day and age, and what you posted is not among them. Auto mechanics I used to be pretty good at, and then points and condensers went out of fashion. And that can be said for almost everything I was once pretty good at. Or knew anything about.
Old 03-16-24, 11:43 AM
DangerousDanR

I have a soft spot for old cars. Really, I do. But they aren't even close to as good as modern cars. I've gone on long road trips with a tool box in the trunk so I could re torque the head bolts and set the valve clearance, along with setting the dwell.

I miss that like I miss having whooping cough.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-16-24, 12:02 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8843 Post(s)
Liked 2,989 Times in 1,738 Posts

Camila says goodbye. Back to the shelter for spaying next week. The Mrs. is going to FLA for a few days next week so it will be back to me and Roscoe. Cammy, as we called her, was a little hyper and didn't know boundaries but was very loving and liked to snuggle. She will make a good addition to anyone who adopts her.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 03-16-24, 12:06 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8843 Post(s)
Liked 2,989 Times in 1,738 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Wind was a prick today.

FD on my Di2 only shifts correctly about 50% of the time, but it doesn’t drop the chain. My Sram shifted 95% of the time but dropped the chain 50 % of the time.

My read brake on my di2 madone randomly starts rubbing while riding. Also if I use my brakes they both run after I release the brakes. Sometimes it’s only for a short period and stops, others I’ll end up pumping my brake levers multiple times to get it to stop.
Thoughts?
Cycling is a cruel mistress. How many times do I have to tell you.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 03-16-24, 12:09 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11402 Post(s)
Liked 4,760 Times in 2,769 Posts
I have a soft spot for old cars. Really, I do. But they aren't even close to as good as modern cars. I've gone on long road trips with a tool box in the trunk so I could re torque the head bolts and set the valve clearance, along with setting the dwell.

Maybe it was also your choice of old cars.

I am with you, though. Old cars are snot. Old Euro-cars are Euro-snot.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-16-24, 12:12 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I get it.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-16-24, 12:28 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11402 Post(s)
Liked 4,760 Times in 2,769 Posts
<Rant>
Old cars. I've had a few. A 66 series Land Rover, a P1800 Volvo. A couple of old Volvos. So I really get pi... irritated with the people who post some of the old car misinformation on BF.

Four cylinder engines are a tool of the devil. And front wheel drive is why they are now under square. I didn't know that. But what do I know about engine design? Oh, feces... I used to design engin control software.

Couldn't have anything to do with the inherent tendency of over square engine to create higher levels of NOx. Surface to volume ratios, thermal transfer and crap like that. Nah, can't be that.

And by the way, we drive a RWD and live in the lesser white north. Could it possibly be that winter tires make more of a difference than anything else?

Nah can't possibly be that. I mean, the traction control and antilock brakes on a Jaguar couldn't make a RWD car handle great on ice.

And my fellow control engineers couldn't possibly overcome the torque steering in FWD cars by modulating power. Like they have tamed the rear end twitch on a 911?

<End of rant>
Just needs a lower temp thermostat. Engine is running too hot....
Old 03-16-24, 01:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
3 hrs on the hamster wheel this morning. They took down the fence at 5 km for a little cheeky mini race at the end:

1) I attack and start building time at VO2 pace
2) Solo rider bridges to me and the games begin
3) Sprint at the end.

I feel like the story is told pretty well by the power graph in the second screenshot:

Old 03-16-24, 01:13 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I don't know who needs to hear this, but

Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 03-16-24, 01:18 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I don't know who needs to hear this, but

I expected something more like this from you.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-16-24, 01:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Wind was a prick today.

FD on my Di2 only shifts correctly about 50% of the time, but it doesn’t drop the chain. My Sram shifted 95% of the time but dropped the chain 50 % of the time.

My read brake on my di2 madone randomly starts rubbing while riding. Also if I use my brakes they both run after I release the brakes. Sometimes it’s only for a short period and stops, others I’ll end up pumping my brake levers multiple times to get it to stop.
Thoughts?
Sticky pistons. Clean ‘em.
Old 03-16-24, 01:33 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I have Di2 Ultegra 12sp on my TCR and etap 11 speed on my TT bike, and they have both performed flawlessly, minus when I forget to charge em
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-16-24, 01:41 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts

I had an MG Midget and I carried a large screw driver to pry disc brake calipers apart, smaller screw driver and small wrench to adjust the twin carbs, WD40 to spray ignition parts, emery paper to polish lighting wiring and a few other small tools. Never drove anywhere without them and I mean anywhere.

My dad said that he could replace a clutch in a '39 Ford on the shoulder of the road. Before my time but if he said that he did, I believe him.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 03-16-24, 01:45 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by LAJ
Maybe it was also your choice of old cars.

I am with you, though. Old cars are snot. Old Euro-cars are Euro-snot.
"Euro-snot," I like that and am going to remember that. A riding friend calls Italian bikes, "Euro-trash." I rode my Euro-trash, Colnago today and I refer to it that way most of the time even though my V3's frame is Taiwanese.

Old 03-16-24, 01:49 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Velo Vol I saw a car today on my ride that had a specialty Tennessee Vols license plate. I stopped and was going to take a pic but when I pulled my phone out, a guy in the yard that I hadn't noticed, asked me what I was doing. I told him that I was just checking my phone for a sec and then put it away.

In my defense, he was younger than me and could have been a linebacker for all I know.

Old 03-16-24, 01:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I had an MG Midget and I carried a large screw driver to pry disc brake calipers apart, smaller screw driver and small wrench to adjust the twin carbs, WD40 to spray ignition parts, emery paper to polish lighting wiring and a few other small tools. Never drove anywhere without them and I mean anywhere.

My dad said that he could replace a clutch in a '39 Ford on the shoulder of the road. Before my time but if he said that he did, I believe him.
I jury rigged a broken throttle cable on my MGB with a Tygon tubing clamp, well enough to get home. The next day I walked the 2.5 miles to the one place in Ithaca that had parts for British cars, and then walked the 2.5 miles back. I don't remember why I had that clamp with me.

Another time I jury rigged a pair of radiator hose clamps into an exhaust hanger when the rear hanger broke while I was in a tunnel on the Northeast Extension of the PA turnpike. I don't remember why I had those clamps with me, either.

I used to carry a crescent wrench, in case the starter drive jammed, until a former MGB owner saw me with the hood open and a crescent wrench in hand and said, "Starter drive, right?" and showed me the trick of putting it in 3rd and rocking it to get it to release.

I bought a whole quart of ATF to fill the dashpots on the twin SU carbs. Then I had almost a whole quart of ATF.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-16-24, 01:58 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
I still want to have an old LWS (lightweight sports) in the collection again, but that's fairly low on the priority list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.