Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding On a Low Potassium Diet

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 12:43 AM
Centuryrib

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a history of hypertension and have been on meds for the past 33 years. Last week labs revealed I have a high potassium level (probably due to kidney damage caused by the meds). Doctor ordered a low potassium diet which eliminates all of my fueling sources for my long rides and recovery. Anyone has any experience or knowledge in this area? I am still hoping to ride a century this summer.
Old 03-18-24, 08:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Your fueling sources don't have to include potassium. I make my own with maltodextrin and a little sugar or stevia to take the dry edge off the maltodextrin plus whatever I want for flavoring which typically is Kool-aide powder.

The electrolyte powder I add does have potassium, but it doesn't have to. If you aren't also sodium restricted, then table salt could be used entirely for your electrolyte replacement during those long rides. But still there are many other things you can use for electrolytes. Sodium chloride and potassium chloride are just among the popular and easy to get.

Welcome to BF.
Old 03-18-24, 03:57 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
How high is 'high potassium'? Renal function has to be severely impaired before potassium becomes a problem.
There are a few BP meds that can bump potassium but not many. IrideO1's post has an approach that can work,
if you stick to salt for the electrolyte and measure carefully, ie use a postal digital scale and look up the % of sodium
in a given weight of salt.
Likes For sch:
Old 03-19-24, 01:17 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
and look up the % of sodium
in a given weight of salt.
which I assume is 39% because the atomic weight of sodium is 23 and chlorine is 35.4 ?
Old 03-19-24, 09:28 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
1. Many common antihypertensives, e.g., ACE inhibitors, can elevate potassium on their own and they are often used in the presence of renal failure where they are valuable even though the risk increases. It's not clear from the original post what's really going on here.
2. It is easy to find quick carb sources without potassium. Just avoid high K fruits and vegetables, potato chips, etc.
3. Electrolytes are not interchangeable(!), but fortunately sodium is the only one that ever requires replacement during exercise and then only under conditions of high fluid loss and replacement. Available body stores and a normal diet take care of the rest. Electrolyte drinks and powders intended for athletes contain potassium, magnesium, etc. for purely commercial reasons.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-19-24, 11:06 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
3. Electrolytes are not interchangeable(!), but fortunately sodium is the only one that ever requires replacement during exercise and then only under conditions of high fluid loss and replacement. Available body stores and a normal diet take care of the rest. Electrolyte drinks and powders intended for athletes contain potassium, magnesium, etc. for purely commercial reasons.
^ ^ This ^ ^

I've been making my own drink mix for a few years. The ingredients: dextrose, table salt, lemon crystals. Super easy to make (weigh ingredients, toss in blender, turn on blender), it's all I need on the bike, and it saves a ton of money over the commercial stuff.

Likes For terrymorse: