Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bringing your bicycle inside... Frowned upon?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bringing your bicycle inside... Frowned upon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-23, 01:26 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
People can be weird about bikes. Some people are understanding and accommodating, others think of them as toys that cost $100 and just get you to your friend’s house down the street. They might not be aware of the cost and commitment. If I were to stay at someone’s place and wanted to bring my bike, I would make a point to ask “Do you have some place safe for me to store my bike?” I would also listen for any hint of hesitation and make sure they know it’s not a big deal if they can’t accommodate it. The only exception I can think of is when I’m staying with a fellow cyclist. Imagine a cabin with 4 bikes leaning against the walls, or a garage with the classic car moved to the street to accommodate the whole team’s stable for the weekend.
whether I ask or they give it the greenlight prior to me asking; If i know they are willing to take on such risk[s] with things or it throws a rather big wrench in accommodating my stay, I will alter things on my end to prevent that from happening. Those are good friends & just knowing they'd go to that level of hospitality for me, is awesome.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
As funny as that sounds, my aunt had no children and married a lawyer. Any time we visited as young children, they moved the fancy and dangerous stuff and locked certain doors, and my parents were cautious with us and where we ate. Hosting people with different lifestyles does take some logic and planning.
Not many get that, & that's where overthinking things may creep up. "oh gee, I wonder why soin'so don't pay a visit anymore? It couldn't be that we leverage their hobbies as a means to our sly humor of entertainment, or that we never call/text/visit them, or prevent our kid/animal/alligator from using there bicycle as a chew toy? oh dear, we will never know why?"

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not sure how the baby analogizes to the bike, but I seem to recall not being able to take my toddlers to some people's homes because stairs or something made the place impossible to baby-proof, and the visit would just be too nerve-racking for all concerned.
Chances are that, if the person you're visiting doesn't have kids within the same age group as you, you should not expect them to go through the trouble of "baby-proofing" there house.
Additionally, if you take a dog to someones place, you are responsible for looking after it. Pick it's doo doo up, don't let it chew on anything, contain it from running off into the sunset..

As far as the bike goes, this differs from other "sports equipment" in that it is the transportation I used to get to the home. I think this is definitely analogous to asking someone where I can park my car when visiting. Alas, there are places I don't visit because there literally is no place to park or safely secure a bike.
If I'm credit card camping, I do make a point of checking whether there's somewhere to secure my bike at the hotel or AirBnB when I reserve.
I could see someone overstepping it with a horse. You cant just ride a horse to someone's house & try keeping it in the kitchen or living room... I guess if they let you, you could try? A horse might be better contained outside, where the cars may park...?
Old 05-15-23, 01:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
A lot of variables. But, if I was to ride to a friend's house, I would expect my bike to be safe and secure. And, perhaps dry (although if I rode an hour in the rain to get there, a couple of showers won't hurt it).

I don't think I would bring my bike into a person's hallway, although a garage or back yard might be acceptable.

Now at work, I've parked my bike inside or outside at work depending on a number of factors. If I do bring it inside, then 100% I carry the bike to the destination. So, there is no wheeling a dirty bike around the office.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-15-23, 01:44 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I would allow one to park their bike in my back yard, and usually park my bike in the back yards of friends houses. I see no reason to bring someone else’s bike in my house, unless I’m working on it in my basement shop, then it’s directly garage to basement.
I never would expect to bring my bike into other’s homes. We don’t allow anyone to bring a pet into our dwelling, but kids of all ages are welcome.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 05-15-23 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-15-23, 01:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Chances are that, if the person you're visiting doesn't have kids within the same age group as you, you should not expect them to go through the trouble of "baby-proofing" there house.
Maybe I should have chosen my words a bit better. What I meant by that was to make it reasonable for the child to be safe for the duration of the visit, not an absolute baby-proofing like you'd do if the kid lived there. Apartments with balconies that have wide spaces in the railing or houses with big wide unblockable staircases come to mind Not only would it be unreasonable to expect them to baby-proof, it's likely impossible.

As a parent, I never took it for granted that people expected to be responsible for my kid's safety, but they had better understand that I was. The person with the kid-unfriendly house is fine if they understand that the parent is not likely to visit them unless the kid is in day care or with a sitter. I wouldn't expect someone to enjoy the visit if they feel like they can't safely let their attention wander for a few seconds and/or they basically feel like they can't even put their kid down without a significant chance of losing them for good.
Old 05-15-23, 01:59 PM
Troul 

Maybe I should have chosen my words a bit better. What I meant by that was to make it reasonable for the child to be safe for the duration of the visit, not an absolute baby-proofing like you'd do if the kid lived there. Apartments with balconies that have wide spaces in the railing or houses with big wide unblockable staircases come to mind Not only would it be unreasonable to expect them to baby-proof, it's likely impossible.

As a parent, I never took it for granted that people expected to be responsible for my kid's safety, but they had better understand that I was. The person with the kid-unfriendly house is fine if they understand that the parent is not likely to visit them unless the kid is in day care or with a sitter. I wouldn't expect someone to enjoy the visit if they feel like they can't safely let their attention wander for a few seconds and/or they basically feel like they can't even put their kid down without a significant chance of losing them for good.
as a kid, I think my folks took me to places that were the least kid friendly equipped in hopes to rid of a liability... Or i just sorta knew better than to open closed doors & drink as-seen-on tv products.
Old 05-15-23, 02:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
If you are allowed to bring in the animal, but not the cycle bicycle, why is it?
Because I've never seen an animal spontaneously explode like a carbon bike frame.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-15-23, 02:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Because I've never seen an animal spontaneously explode like a carbon bike frame.
I have (figuratively). A pug with digestive issues was not pleasant to have in our house, and I will find every reason not to let that person and their tiny dog in my house again. "The dog assploded" would be an accurate description.
Old 05-15-23, 02:46 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Eric F
I have (figuratively). A pug with digestive issues was not pleasant to have in our house, and I will find every reason not to let that person and their tiny dog in my house again. "The dog assploded" would be an accurate description.
must've ate Alposion dog food?
Old 05-15-23, 02:54 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
This is not about someone's home, but an office I used to work in. I was a dedicated commuter for many years and parked my bicycle in my office for almost all of those years, except..for a few years I worked in an area with large common areas with classrooms and about 10 offices with way too many upper management types about. My office was pretty spacious and was about 10 feet from the outside door, almost enough room to park a car in so I thought nothing about rolling my bicycle 10-15 feet through a common area and leaning it against a bare wall in my office. absolutely did not interfere with anyone or anything and my office door was normally closed because I worked around the hospital. My boss went bat **** crazy. Bicycles did not belong inside. The tires were dirty, when I told her to go tell the guy over there in his wheel chair his tires were too dirty to roll round the hospital she started talking about oil dripping. My surly crosscheck was not an oil dripper like my Harley...this went on for months, constant hate on my bicycle. There were probably 20 of us dedicated commuters working there and one of them was her boss and a guy I regularly rode with on charity rides. Apparently she brought it up to him about me bringing my bicycle in my office, which was totally stupid because he had his bike hanging on the wall in his office. I know she had to have seen it. Anyway he called me up to his office, I really thought he was going to ask me about a charity ride coming up. He called me up to see where I wanted my bicycle rack installed in my office, he planned to send engineering down the next week. As much as I would have liked to rub my supervisors face in it, I opted out, just because of future supervisors. As it turned out we built an outside heated bike locker for me and the dozen or so others that wanted somewhere to conveniently and securely park our bike. My supervisor had some visceral reaction to bringing bicycles in the house (office) and seemed to be truly personally offended. I think it was just something about her childhood but she really did come unhinged about it. But she way embarrassed herself about something it was obvious she could not win.
Old 05-15-23, 03:02 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by making
This is not about someone's home, but an office I used to work in. I was a dedicated commuter for many years and parked my bicycle in my office for almost all of those years, except..for a few years I worked in an area with large common areas with classrooms and about 10 offices with way too many upper management types about. My office was pretty spacious and was about 10 feet from the outside door, almost enough room to park a car in so I thought nothing about rolling my bicycle 10-15 feet through a common area and leaning it against a bare wall in my office. absolutely did not interfere with anyone or anything and my office door was normally closed because I worked around the hospital. My boss went bat **** crazy. Bicycles did not belong inside. The tires were dirty, when I told her to go tell the guy over there in his wheel chair his tires were too dirty to roll round the hospital she started talking about oil dripping. My surly crosscheck was not an oil dripper like my Harley...this went on for months, constant hate on my bicycle. There were probably 20 of us dedicated commuters working there and one of them was her boss and a guy I regularly rode with on charity rides. Apparently she brought it up to him about me bringing my bicycle in my office, which was totally stupid because he had his bike hanging on the wall in his office. I know she had to have seen it. Anyway he called me up to his office, I really thought he was going to ask me about a charity ride coming up. He called me up to see where I wanted my bicycle rack installed in my office, he planned to send engineering down the next week. As much as I would have liked to rub my supervisors face in it, I opted out, just because of future supervisors. As it turned out we built an outside heated bike locker for me and the dozen or so others that wanted somewhere to conveniently and securely park our bike. My supervisor had some visceral reaction to bringing bicycles in the house (office) and seemed to be truly personally offended. I think it was just something about her childhood but she really did come unhinged about it. But she way embarrassed herself about something it was obvious she could not win.
oh wow! I wouldn't know how to act if that happened to pop up at work. Instead, full PPE is required, must walk the bicycle if at a crossing & must use the crossing, heavily enforced speed limits, better have all the OEM safety items on it too.
Old 05-15-23, 03:17 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I live in a safe area where even though I would never do it, I think I could leave a bike out front in the driveway over night. In fact I've seen others in my neighborhood do just that. However I would likely let someone bring their bike into the garage if they were staying overnight or the bike was otherwise being left unattended. And they would not have to ask me, I would suggest it myself.

A pet on the other hand would have to be on a case by case basis and most of our friends likely wouldn't try to bring one in the first place. A few in-laws on the other hand have brought in a dog for a short visit. I expect them to keep a good eye on the dog as I don't want my home damaged.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-15-23, 03:34 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
I'd either check unless I was close enough with them to know the answer, but I'd generally expect to leave the bike chained to something in a back yard or something out of view. I wouldn't expect to be able to take it inside the building or a garage, etc.

I'd also plan accordingly and use my $100 hybrid and not my $2000 nice bike.
Old 05-15-23, 04:40 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Hard to say without more information. Is the bike house broken? does the house owner have a bike allergy? does the house owner have a very territorial bike already?
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-15-23, 04:53 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,962 Times in 945 Posts
Thanks for that! Best laugh I had this week.

Originally Posted by Eric F
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-15-23, 04:54 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I would never assume I could bring a bike into someone's home. More than likely, you have made prior arrangements for the visit. I would bring up the subject beforehand. If you drop in unannounced, best be prepared to leave your bike outside.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 05-15-23, 05:29 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by making
Like you, I spent many years bringing my commuter bike right into my office. I never asked permission and always acted as if it's the most normal thing on the planet. One or two people (generally old stuffy people) would look askance the first time or two they saw me coming in with the bike, but that would pass as it became a familiar sight. More often, people would be interested and would start conversations about their own cycling experiences.

'Course, I was in academia, where individuality is generally tolerated -- and where tenure provides a certain level of freedom.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-15-23, 07:13 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by mtracer
i would never assume i could bring a bike into someone's home. More than likely, you have made prior arrangements for the visit. I would bring up the subject beforehand. If you drop in unannounced, best be prepared to leave stay with your bike outside.
fify.
Old 05-15-23, 07:45 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
A lot of variables. But, if I was to ride to a friend's house, I would expect my bike to be safe and secure. And, perhaps dry (although if I rode an hour in the rain to get there, a couple of showers won't hurt it).

I don't think I would bring my bike into a person's hallway, although a garage or back yard might be acceptable.
We keep our three bikes in the garage, along with all the tools. If someone wants to visit us by bike, they'll be welcome to park their bike there.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 05-15-23, 08:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
This question seems very "situation-specific."
The specific situation is your brother’s condo in VA Beach.
Old 05-15-23, 08:19 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
The specific situation is your brother’s condo in VA Beach.
it's interesting how you're trying to dictate a threads outcome.
Better maintenance to your bicycle might be better time spent.
Old 05-15-23, 08:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
it's interesting how you're trying to dictate a threads outcome.
Better maintenance to your bicycle might be better time spent.
I’m just clarifying the question.
Old 05-15-23, 09:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 5,651 Times in 2,924 Posts
Troul, you aren’t channeling Larry are you?

If so, please leave your shirt on when entering your friend’s house (with or without bike).

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-15-23, 11:35 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
You are welcome to park your bike in the garage beside mine. I do park my bike inside by the contractor counter at Lowes when I ride up for something small
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 05-16-23, 05:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
So I think this is an etiquette question but I just don't see any real problem. Obviously, people's homes vary as do people's attitudes. Some people live in small apartments, some people have light colored carpeting, some people just don't want to have your bike in their living space. If I'm invited to be a guest in their home, I understand it's on their terms. If I can't or won't accept their terms, I shouldn't accept the invitation.
Old 05-16-23, 05:51 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Could you imagine being someone not having any kids & your relative stops by with there baby. "um, yeah, that'll have to stay on the porch... thanks for understanding!"
You mean I wasn't supposed to do that? I just explained that my dogs were allergic.
Likes For Bald Paul:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.