Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I a retrogrouch?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I a retrogrouch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-23, 08:21 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
Don't get me wrong, I love tech but, ...
Like you, I appreciate the simpler setups when it comes time for maintenance and problems that arise while on a ride.

I do appreciate the utility gains that have been made, with various parts and accessories. So long as it remains durable, straightforward to operate, simple to repair, etc. (Raised in an age when a $250 bike was an expensive one, compared to today's $5-10K+ alternatives.)

Actually had a single-speed step-thru bike a dozen years ago, with a coaster brake and fenders. Made for a perfect, no-nonsense cheapie commuter for the days when I didn't want to worry about theft. Easy to use, simple to maintain, nothing much to go wrong or needing adjustment.
Old 09-02-23, 08:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820

Raised in an age when a $250 bike was an expensive one, compared to today's $5-10K+ alternatives.
So you were born approx 1915 then?
Old 09-02-23, 08:43 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
But if you were in the market for a new bike, would you deliberately NOT go 12-speed like a true retro-grouch?
Great question. At present my wife’s and my gravel bike, my adventure bike and my road bike are all cross compatible so to bring a outlier in the mix would be the challenge. Something to ponder on today’s ride!
Old 09-02-23, 12:45 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Great question. At present my wife’s and my gravel bike, my adventure bike and my road bike are all cross compatible so to bring a outlier in the mix would be the challenge.
Why would it be a challenge?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-02-23, 01:13 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Great question. At present my wife’s and my gravel bike, my adventure bike and my road bike are all cross compatible so to bring a outlier in the mix would be the challenge. Something to ponder on today’s ride!
Do you ever cross them? I currently have one road bike on 11-speed Shimano and another on 12-speed SRAM. It doesn't matter to me that they are not cross compatible.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-02-23, 01:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Do you ever cross them? I currently have one road bike on 11-speed Shimano and another on 12-speed SRAM. It doesn't matter to me that they are not cross compatible.
Same here. One 12-speed bike exists happily with four 11-speed bikes despite the fact that they are not 100% cross-compatible.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-02-23, 07:17 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Same here. One 12-speed bike exists happily with four 11-speed bikes despite the fact that they are not 100% cross-compatible.
Your not helping!
Old 09-02-23, 07:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
It's really just the smaller diameter tubing than you would typically find on a modern carbon bike, especially an aero frame. I think there is some info on their website about the inspiration for its overall "look". It's similar to what Specialized were aiming at with their Aethos, but OPEN have used smaller diameter tube profiles. Both are really a counter point to modern aero-frames. Just a vague nostalgic nod to the days of small diameter round tubes and full length seat stays, non-integrated bars etc.
I really like the look of that bike, but none of it even whispers, much less screams, 'modern retro styled'.
Old 09-03-23, 05:59 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I really like the look of that bike, but none of it even whispers, much less screams, 'modern retro styled'.
I suppose it depends on your reference. But this article linked below explains how the design came about. I’m surprised you cannot see any hint of “classic” influence in the lines of the frame.

“Gerard Vroomen took his design influences for the MIN.D. not from a wind-tunnel but from the welding torch of Dario Pegoretti”

https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/journal/open-min-d-review
Old 09-03-23, 08:56 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts

I love riding a good 12 speed!
Old 09-04-23, 03:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
I suppose it depends on your reference. But this article linked below explains how the design came about. I’m surprised you cannot see any hint of “classic” influence in the lines of the frame.

“Gerard Vroomen took his design influences for the MIN.D. not from a wind-tunnel but from the welding torch of Dario Pegoretti”

https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/journal/open-min-d-review
The frame looks nice...a lot nicer than many modern carbon frames.
But a sloping top tube carbon frame and tapered carbon fork with 1x drivetrain, a seatmast, and hydraulic brakes just doesn't remind me of anything classic.
About the only thing 'classic' on that frame is the seststays that join next to the top tube.

Ice read that article you linked and chuckled when I read it again since the Peg bike they feature has seriously beefy stays, compared to the pencil seatstays of this Open.

Again, I really like the look of the Open and in that manner, it's similar to an Aethos in profile. But it doesn't at all remind me of a classic road bike in shape, design, or spec.
Old 09-04-23, 07:01 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The frame looks nice...a lot nicer than many modern carbon frames.
But a sloping top tube carbon frame and tapered carbon fork with 1x drivetrain, a seatmast, and hydraulic brakes just doesn't remind me of anything classic.
About the only thing 'classic' on that frame is the seststays that join next to the top tube.

Ice read that article you linked and chuckled when I read it again since the Peg bike they feature has seriously beefy stays, compared to the pencil seatstays of this Open.

Again, I really like the look of the Open and in that manner, it's similar to an Aethos in profile. But it doesn't at all remind me of a classic road bike in shape, design, or spec.
Yeah similar to the Aethos frame, but with smaller diameter tubes. Both are slightly retro looking to my eye and that was clearly the intention of the OPEN’s designer. The understated midnight blue paint is also in keeping. Obviously the 1x drivetrain, disc brakes and carbon layup etc are all thoroughly modern counterpoints. The shallow non-aero lightweight wheels on this build also add a little to the retro look.

You obviously don’t see the “classic” retro look that they were going for here, but to me it’s pretty obvious. It is a bit like how say a modern Porsche 911 vaguely resembles a classic 911 even though it is a completely different design.
Old 09-12-23, 07:58 PM
bharrisonb
FreedomRider

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Sports, 2008 Specialized Sequoia, 2016 Trek Verve 2, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 53 Posts
I love a bike that I can keep in good working order and repair easily on the road or at home. Clinchers with tubes, rim brakes, cable actuated derailleurs. Simple tools that fit nicely in my seat mounted leather toolkit bag (on my Raleigh Sports) or my rear rack bag. My three bikes (the Raleigh (1971) my Specialized Sequoia (2008) , and Trek Verve 2 (2016)) all are in this category.

No bleeding hydraulic brake lines or running out of battery charge on a Di2 wireless electronic shifting derailleur for me.

BUT --- I'm not a gear snob ... I never critic another rider's choice or selection of riding gear. To each, his or her own!
Old 09-13-23, 02:37 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by bharrisonb
I love a bike that I can keep in good working order and repair easily on the road or at home. Clinchers with tubes, rim brakes, cable actuated derailleurs. Simple tools that fit nicely in my seat mounted leather toolkit bag (on my Raleigh Sports) or my rear rack bag. My three bikes (the Raleigh (1971) my Specialized Sequoia (2008) , and Trek Verve 2 (2016)) all are in this category.

No bleeding hydraulic brake lines or running out of battery charge on a Di2 wireless electronic shifting derailleur for me.

BUT --- I'm not a gear snob ... I never critic another rider's choice or selection of riding gear. To each, his or her own!
I think it’s a bit of a myth that modern bikes are harder to maintain. In some ways I find they are actually easier. There are a few swings and roundabouts. Just my personal experience of owning and maintaining bikes of all eras since the early 80s. I don’t even need a saddlebag to carry my road tools.
Old 09-13-23, 10:25 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I think it’s a bit of a myth that modern bikes are harder to maintain.
It's also a myth that many of the recent bike tech "improvements" are truly valuable improvements.

In my opinion.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-13-23, 10:33 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
It's also a myth that many of the recent bike tech "improvements" are truly valuable improvements.

In my opinion.
It would largely depend on what factors one uses to determine value, and those factors may vary from person to person.
Old 09-13-23, 12:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
It would largely depend on what factors one uses to determine value, and those factors may vary from person to person.
Fair enough. But as the marketing pukes would say, your product's "value proposition" needs to alleviate an existing "pain point" (Gad, I hate marketing speak).

But by this measure, I'n not seeing any recent tech that alleviates a pain point.

Old 09-13-23, 01:34 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Fair enough. But as the marketing pukes would say, your product's "value proposition" needs to alleviate an existing "pain point" (Gad, I hate marketing speak).

But by this measure, I'n not seeing any recent tech that alleviates a pain point.
Recent tech alleviates the pain of having too much money in one's bank account. Duh.
Old 09-13-23, 01:58 PM
PeteHski

In my opinion.
I’m not going to waste my time there, but my modern bikes are still very easy to maintain with minimal tools.
Old 01-24-24, 10:54 AM
LenB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great forum. I started the Retro Grouch Moto Club via a number of articles I wrote for the "Dirt Rag" back when the magazine was non glossy. I wrote satirical articles regarding the advancements in cycling technology for entertainment. As the magazine matured and drew big name advertisers my articles were no longer published, sorta because my articles were not kind to new technology. So I ventured off and started the rgmc.org web site that ran for a number of years. My interest in cycling never faded but the interest in maintaining the site did. I had several other interests that occupied my time. Last week I found a CD that contained the html files for an 1997 version of the site. It was and still is old and clunky compared to modern websites, but I uploaded it in a directory off of my photography website. I added a few of my articles from the Dirt Rag into the site as well. If you have continued to read this far into my note then you may want to visit the resurrected site.... BUT the forum won't allow me to post the url until I have 10 posts.... try going to lenbruffett.com/RG (you will have to input the standard internet prefix )

Last edited by LenB; 01-24-24 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-24-24, 11:36 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
...for the riding I do (exercise, fun and peace & quiet)...

That's the ticket!

Old 01-24-24, 01:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

That is a rather cute pair of aliens. Little button heads, thick necks, sloped shoulders, no arms and quite bowlegged. Look like rather practical folk. No clue how they get around without arms but I am sure they have tech I am not savvy to. But I don't think the term "beautiful" would ever cross my mind meeting them in real life.
Old 01-24-24, 02:59 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
I think it’s a bit of a myth that modern bikes are harder to maintain. In some ways I find they are actually easier. There are a few swings and roundabouts. Just my personal experience of owning and maintaining bikes of all eras since the early 80s. I don’t even need a saddlebag to carry my road tools.
I agree. I maintain five modern (2020+) bikes with no problems.
Likes For Mojo31: