Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-23, 04:09 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I do know guys who refuse to ride an “endurance” bike because it makes them feel less “pro”.
I know a guy that won't ride a bike with eyelets because it's not a racing bike then. I guess some might say the same about the triples on my bikes.
Old 12-18-23, 04:32 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
it came with a torture device and I could not wait to go for a ride before my replacement came. I am used to C17's and had ordered one but it was delayed. the seat it came with gave me a saddle sore that was epic and put me off the bike for 20+ days. I did an 80 mile ride on this saddle and regretted it. this is the saddle it came with....
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yeah, the saddle that came on my Endurace back in 2020 was awful. Some Selle Italia thing that was wrong for me in just about every way. Fortunately, I still had one Avocet O2Air 40R left from when I bought almost the last of Palo Alto Bicycle's stock in 2007.
Another Endurace owner that thought the stock saddle was super-sucky. Mine didn't come with a Selle Italia, but rather a Fizik Arione...that saddle was as long a cargo ship and as wide as a number 2 pencil. I guess some people like them, but I could only set it up for either bruised sit bones or numb junk...sometimes both.

They're ugly as sin, but my go-to saddles are the modern short-nose saddles, more specifically the Fizik Argo. I've even done 10-12 hour rides on that saddle without issue(or at least saddle-related issues.)
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 12-18-23, 04:58 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don’t get this thread. Endurance road bikes are mildly tweaked race bikes to make them more comfortable for long distance riding where ultimate uncompromising performance is not strictly required. In my mid 50s I appreciate slightly wider tyres and a slightly more relaxed fit for century riding.

What’s not to like? Should we all have to make do with dedicated race bikes with a pile of stem spacers, short stems and potentially limited tyre clearance just to massage our egos? I do know guys who refuse to ride an “endurance” bike because it makes them feel less “pro”.
Even simpler: bike manufacturers figured out that the prime market for their costlier models consists largely of guys who were race bike enthusiasts when they were young but, now that they can afford to buy the best, are older and heavier and slower. So some marketing guy came up with the category "Endurance," a harmless euphemism for "ex-racer's comfort bike."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-18-23, 05:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10443 Post(s)
Liked 11,920 Times in 6,104 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Another Endurace owner that thought the stock saddle was super-sucky. Mine didn't come with a Selle Italia, but rather a Fizik Arione...that saddle was as long a cargo ship and as wide as a number 2 pencil. I guess some people like them, but I could only set it up for either bruised sit bones or numb junk...sometimes both.

They're ugly as sin, but my go-to saddles are the modern short-nose saddles, more specifically the Fizik Argo. I've even done 10-12 hour rides on that saddle without issue(or at least saddle-related issues.)
I looked it up. It was a Selle Italia X3. It's essentially the diametrical opposite of the Avocets I love so much. It's like if you were trying to design a saddle that I would hate within 1 mile, that would be it.

Funny story - I bought the Endurace in June of 2020, while I was WFH and starting to ride more for my health and sanity. It had great reviews, but of course I couldn't ride one. I measured my existing bikes very carefully to make sure I could replicate their fit on the Canyon. When it arrived, I put it together as quickly as I could, and went out for a ride. 10 miserable miles. The saddle was awful, I could not find a comfortable spot on it. I could feel it trying to wear through my shorts and into my skin, and I could feel the pressure on my perineum. At the front end, my hands kept going numb, in less than half a mile. I'd paid $2400 for this bike, bought it sight unseen, and it SUCKED!!!! I was so downhearted!!

After I got home, I found the spare Avocet I'd bought 13 years prior, and put it on. Then I measured the height of the bar, which was almost a full inch higher than all my other bikes. So I swapped 2.5mm of spacers to above the stem. Took it our for a ride, and it was like a different bike! Fast, comfy, stiff for pedaling but cushy for riding, and nothing went numb. What a difference the right saddle and the right fit makes!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-18-23, 05:03 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Yep. It cut into the backs of my thighs while making the plumbing numb. Exactly what you DON'T want in a saddle. But I'm sure there are people it works well for.
yea they are called masochist they probably get off on driving sharp objects up their nether regions.....
Old 12-18-23, 05:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

yea they are called masochist they probably get off on driving sharp objects up their nether regions.....
Oh, I dunno. My saddle needs are a result of my lack of flexibility, which means I keep my back straight and roll my pelvis forward. That's why a saddle that's straight from front to back doesn't work for me, but may work for someone more flexible. Similarly, I have fairly thick thighs, so I can only tolerate saddles with narrow noses or it rubs me raw. But someone with less bulky thighs might not have a problem

Old 12-18-23, 05:30 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Oh, I dunno. My saddle needs are a result of my lack of flexibility, which means I keep my back straight and roll my pelvis forward. That's why a saddle that's straight from front to back doesn't work for me, but may work for someone more flexible. Similarly, I have fairly thick thighs, so I can only tolerate saddles with narrow noses or it rubs me raw. But someone with less bulky thighs might not have a problem
trust be there is no body shape or flexibility that would make this saddle work....those plastic edges have an edge....I was going to destroy lest it fall into the hands of evil minded people but instead I decided I would use it to shave with...it holds an edge as good as any german steel...If I ever run across a nice hickory handle I might fashion and axe out of it....

Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-18-23, 05:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

trust be there is no body shape or flexibility that would make this saddle work....those plastic edges have an edge....I was going to destroy lest it fall into the hands of evil minded people but instead I decided I would use it to shave with...it holds an edge as good as any german steel...If I ever run across a nice hickory handle I might fashion and axe out of it....

I understand Jobst Brandt of sainted memory used to refer to Brooks saddles as "ass hatchets" He was also a big part of Avocet, so I wonder if he influenced the design of their saddles?

Old 12-18-23, 05:50 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Even simpler: bike manufacturers figured out that the prime market for their costlier models consists largely of guys who were race bike enthusiasts when they were young but, now that they can afford to buy the best, are older and heavier and slower. So some marketing guy came up with the category "Endurance," a harmless euphemism for "ex-racer's comfort bike."
I was just thinking about the "shorter reach, bigger stack" features of an "endurance" bike.

Not so long ago, those were the primary features of a climber's bike. A climber didn't care about getting long and low, because he had someone to pull him across the flat sections. He didn't care about an aero position while climbing, either, because he wasn't going that fast. He did like to sit up taller while climbing to open the hip angle, so he could put power into the cranks at low cadence with less muscle fatigue.

Times have changed, but except for the really fast guys, a traditional "climber's" setup still works pretty well.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-18-23, 05:55 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
^^^ This is really just a brag about having massive guads.
Old 12-18-23, 06:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
^^^ This is really just a brag about having massive guads.
Oh, pshaw!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-18-23, 06:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
There's a reason Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors.
Yes, but 30 of those flavors are wrong.
Old 12-18-23, 06:33 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider

My 2022 Endurace actually came with a Fizik Argo Tempo, which I find super comfortable. By coincidence I was already using this saddle on my other bike. It’s the first time I’ve bought a new bike and not had to replace the stock saddle.
Old 12-18-23, 06:38 PM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I genuinely love this back and forth. It is entertaining while getting right to the takeaway of this thread, at least the takeaway that anyone without skin in the game would have. That takeaway is- wow this is all just a big word salad without any actual substance or point.
Seriously Kontact- what is your actual point in starting the thread? You ask people if endurance bikes accomplish something for owners of the bikes, and then you proceed to argue a bunch and post some comments that are either wrong or not phrased in a way that makes them clear and correct.

Anyways, since I posted the trail figure for a Cervelo R5 due to that being a bike I happened to see a UCI World Team uses for regular stage races(so its a race bike?) I figured I would go back and read all the rambling thru the thread about an R5. I looked up the geometry of an R5 from years ago and yeah that looks like a pretty cool bike to ride for roads, at least for how I ride and what I would want. I would not call the geometry overly aggressive, but I also wouldnt call the geometry 'endurance'. While I wouldnt toss it in the endurance category, it isnt exactly far off.

Funny enough, comparing it to Cervelo's current endurance bike, its pretty similar. For a 2012/16 Cervelo R5 in 61 and a 2023 Cervelo Caledonia in 61...
- Stack is the same.
- Reach is the same.
- Head angle is more relaxed and fork rake is higher on the Caledonia, but those two measurements result in the same trail number of 57(using 28mm tire).
- Chainstay is 10mm longer on the Caledonia...and thats a 415mm chainstay, so hardly long.
- BB drop is 3.5mm more on the Caledonia.

Compared to an R5- same stack, same reach, same trail, and a chainstay that is only 415mmm- thats what Cervelo calls their Endurance bike. I mean, and R5 from a decade ago isnt an endurance bike, but based on the numbers above, its not not an endurance bike!
Basically the only downside is an R5 from the mid-teens before the slight frame change was that clearance maxed out at a 25mm tire. That isnt even something thats disc specific, it was just how they designed the frames at the time. It could have easily been designed to handle a 28(and that did fit in the late teens).

As already mentioned by me and others- an endurance bike is not some 'marketing fear' created by bike companies. It is simply a bike that has slightly different geometry from the race bike in that brand's lineup. It is just 1 more option for someone to consider as it provides a slightly different fit and/or slightly different feeling ride.
Options are good- consumers should like options. This isnt a nefarious plan by bike companies- thats a goofy viewpoint.
This is all just bike companies recognizing that they can get a bigger piece of the pie if they offer a couple models of road bikes that have slightly different geometries since that will increase the number of people that fit their road bikes.
Well, the point is that "endurance road bike" is something of an illusion. Clearly manufacturers have a take-it-or-leave-it approach to endurance "features", like shock absorbers. And while everyone seems to agree they have taller headtubes, this leads people like Genejockey to presume that any bike with a tall one is therefore an endurance bike, including the super-racer R5.

The other issue is the features themselves. In the '80s Lemond (and probably others) were proselytizing "stage race geometry" - bikes that weren't specialty crit bikes but rode nicely day after day. He wasn't inventing anything new - look at his geo charts - but reinforcing the status quo that had gotten a little lost with a few of the darling brands of the time. And people largely agreed - regular old race bike geometry works pretty damn well.

Then, all of a sudden, you can't be ''comfortable" on a century ride if you have a 73 degree head tube angle. And, right in the middle of the shift to disc brakes and fat tires - you might need a vibration damper in the middle of the seat tube (also not new).

Who are these people that find the prospect of riding a standard road bike with 28c or larger tires and 73 degree steerer daunting? When did descending on them become so nerve wracking, and why is a bike with a 99cm wheelbase "unstable"?

Emperor, clothes, etc. If the word "endurance" didn't exist with all its powers of suggestion, would people actually walk into a bike shop and ask for a road bike - that doesn't have fender mounts - with an extra long wheelbase and weight adding features?
Old 12-18-23, 06:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Kontact
Well, the point is that "endurance road bike" is something of an illusion. Clearly manufacturers have a take-it-or-leave-it approach to endurance "features", like shock absorbers. And while everyone seems to agree they have taller headtubes, this leads people like Genejockey to presume that any bike with a tall one is therefore an endurance bike, including the super-racer R5.

The other issue is the features themselves. In the '80s Lemond (and probably others) were proselytizing "stage race geometry" - bikes that weren't specialty crit bikes but rode nicely day after day. He wasn't inventing anything new - look at his geo charts - but reinforcing the status quo that had gotten a little lost with a few of the darling brands of the time. And people largely agreed - regular old race bike geometry works pretty damn well.

Then, all of a sudden, you can't be ''comfortable" on a century ride if you have a 73 degree head tube angle. And, right in the middle of the shift to disc brakes and fat tires - you might need a vibration damper in the middle of the seat tube (also not new).

Who are these people that find the prospect of riding a standard road bike with 28c or larger tires and 73 degree steerer daunting? When did descending on them become so nerve wracking, and why is a bike with a 99cm wheelbase "unstable"?

Emperor, clothes, etc. If the word "endurance" didn't exist with all its powers of suggestion, would people actually walk into a bike shop and ask for a road bike - that doesn't have fender mounts - with an extra long wheelbase and weight adding features?
Much Ado About Nothing.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-18-23, 06:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Much Ado About Nothing.
In other words...marketing.
Old 12-18-23, 07:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,497 Times in 4,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact

Wow.
Moving goalposts, strawman, and more.
This thread keeps delivering.

Again, these are just another option within a lineup. Some find the geometey or comfort features beneficial. Others, like you, don't.

I personally don't care what a bike is called- I look at the geometey and design to determine if it would fit me and my intended use.
It can be called a race bike, crit bike, endurance bike, gravel bike, CX bike, etc- if the geometry and design work for what I want- cool sign me up.

Clearly you are passionate about labels and categories. Perhaps step back and recognize that we are all passionate about different things and not many share your passion when it comes to ranting about the lack of need for endurance road bikes.

I will disagree with your claim that we can't be comfortable on a century with a 73deg HTA. That hasn't been said or argued. And since HTA is only part of what a rider views as comfort on a long ride, to claim that is the one defining difference is disingenuous. Of course most of your posts have been disingenuous, so it's part for the course.
I don't think anyone has claimed it is daunting to ride a bike with a 73deg HTA and 28mm tires. Again you just make stuff up due to an emotional outburst. And again, HTA is only part of what would make riding 'daunting'.

I was half joking before with my comments about you being a fitter and getting basics on steering wrong, but oh my goodness I genuinely can't imagine riding a bike and being subjected to your outrage while I am (mis)fit for my bike. God forbid I bring an endurance bike in to be fit. Whew!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-18-23, 07:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
In other words...marketing.
Yeah. Instead of multiple different terms for the same basic idea - "Stage Race" for Lemond, "C2C" (Coast To Coast) for Bianchi, etc, there's a single term which conveys the difference between a bike for racing and a bike for riding every day.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-18-23, 07:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I confess I'm intrigued by the idea that the Cervelo R5 is a "super-racer", because then what do you call the S5? A "super-duper-racer"?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-18-23, 08:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 5,650 Times in 2,924 Posts
Forgot to mention, the endurance frame allows me to run up to 32s, but usually run 28s. The wider tubeless tires allow me to ride gravel trails. It’s a good all-around bike.

Old 12-18-23, 08:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet."

Old 12-18-23, 08:48 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wow.
Moving goalposts, strawman, and more.
This thread keeps delivering.

Again, these are just another option within a lineup. Some find the geometey or comfort features beneficial. Others, like you, don't.

I personally don't care what a bike is called- I look at the geometey and design to determine if it would fit me and my intended use.
It can be called a race bike, crit bike, endurance bike, gravel bike, CX bike, etc- if the geometry and design work for what I want- cool sign me up.

Clearly you are passionate about labels and categories. Perhaps step back and recognize that we are all passionate about different things and not many share your passion when it comes to ranting about the lack of need for endurance road bikes.

I will disagree with your claim that we can't be comfortable on a century with a 73deg HTA. That hasn't been said or argued. And since HTA is only part of what a rider views as comfort on a long ride, to claim that is the one defining difference is disingenuous. Of course most of your posts have been disingenuous, so it's part for the course.
I don't think anyone has claimed it is daunting to ride a bike with a 73deg HTA and 28mm tires. Again you just make stuff up due to an emotional outburst. And again, HTA is only part of what would make riding 'daunting'.

I was half joking before with my comments about you being a fitter and getting basics on steering wrong, but oh my goodness I genuinely can't imagine riding a bike and being subjected to your outrage while I am (mis)fit for my bike. God forbid I bring an endurance bike in to be fit. Whew!
You know, I was fine with whatever level of disagreement you had about the topic. And was looking forward to replying to your on-topic comment. But the bolded stuff shows your just one of those guys. Disrespect earns you everything you deserve.
Old 12-18-23, 08:52 PM
Kontact 

I confess I'm intrigued by the idea that the Cervelo R5 is a "super-racer", because then what do you call the S5? A "super-duper-racer"?
Cervelo advertised them both as pro level racing machines - the R5 more comfortable and super light while having tremendous power delivery. The S5 was the aero bike that was faster in solo efforts at the sacrifice of ride quality and weight. Both were used alternately by pro teams at the time - much like '80s pros had TVTs for mountain stages and steel bikes for flatter stages and sprints.
Old 12-18-23, 08:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Old 12-18-23, 09:05 PM
Kontact 

Yeah. Instead of multiple different terms for the same basic idea - "Stage Race" for Lemond, "C2C" (Coast To Coast) for Bianchi, etc, there's a single term which conveys the difference between a bike for racing and a bike for riding every day.
Yeah, instead of allowing that a good road bike is appropriate for racing AND riding, you create a new category of road bike, give it some geometry features no one asked for to delineate it from a regular road bikes and then encourage people with $8000 race bikes to buy another one for "every day".

Lemond did not recommend multiple road bikes just to ride on the road.

Can you imagine there was a time when a racing bike was also a cyclocross bike part of the year? Where can I get an endurance cyclocross bike?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.