Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

tubeless, sealant, bike pump, and a nice BLT

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-23, 04:12 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts

yesterday while out on a ride i came across a guy with a flat. i was able to pump it up for him and get him going. i was going to try to patch the tube for him but found that there was sealant that had failed to do its job.

i thought he rode in water but after feeling around for a tube and finding none i determined it was sealant and i found no tube so no patch. the sealant was much thinner that i expected.

to my surprise i was able to get air into the tire with just a little bike pump. everything i read about on these forums indicates that a fast blast of air is needed to get air inside. is this right or do i have it mixed up with something else?

he was a bit discouraged but i told him that he may have had numerous punctures that were hidden from him due to the sealant doing its job properly.
Old 10-08-23, 05:39 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Did the liquid look like this dirty water? Bontrager sealant after about 6 month. I extracted the water and added new. I expected the sealant to have dried up. Oh if the bead is not broken any pump will add air.

Old 10-08-23, 06:31 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
yesterday while out on a ride i came across a guy with a flat. i was able to pump it up for him and get him going. i was going to try to patch the tube for him but found that there was sealant that had failed to do its job.

i thought he rode in water but after feeling around for a tube and finding none i determined it was sealant and i found no tube so no patch. the sealant was much thinner that i expected.

to my surprise i was able to get air into the tire with just a little bike pump. everything i read about on these forums indicates that a fast blast of air is needed to get air inside. is this right or do i have it mixed up with something else?

he was a bit discouraged but i told him that he may have had numerous punctures that were hidden from him due to the sealant doing its job properly.
the big fast blast is to seat the bead. the vast majority of little punctures in properly set up tubeless just leak some air and sealant and seal up. then you just pump it up, no quick blast needed unless you unseated a lot of it. normally you wouldn’t unseat any of it since you’d also fix a big puncture from the outside with a plug.
Old 10-08-23, 07:10 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
the big fast blast is to seat the bead. the vast majority of little punctures in properly set up tubeless just leak some air and sealant and seal up. then you just pump it up, no quick blast needed unless you unseated a lot of it. normally you wouldn’t unseat any of it since you’d also fix a big puncture from the outside with a plug.
+1 usually the tire stays seated and you just have to add air. Most of the time the tire plugs up before going completely flat. I have been able to ride 3 punctures to the next regroup point in the past 2 years even.

Sorry the rider was discouraged because it sounds like the sealant did its job, but if it was thin it might be time to refresh it as is needed every 2-6 months depending on type.
Old 10-08-23, 08:11 PM
spelger

the sealant looks like oil to me. at first i thought it was water because the tire on the inside looked wet. definitely not water, a bit sticky. that is when i knew what it was. there was not much as far as i can tell but i run tubes so really don;'t have the experience with this.

i was able to get my index finger inside the tire and feel around. that is how i knew there was no tube. gave the pump a try anyway and was surprised and very happy that it took air. he more than i suppose.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-09-23, 02:15 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I'm sure a fast blast of air helps but I can confirm it isn't necessarily required. I recently replaced the tyre on my mountain bike. I'd never done this before and, like you, I was a bit concerned about whether I'd be able to get it to inflate since I didn't have anything that would provide that fast blast of air. I sprayed soapy water liberally around the rim and pumped it up with no sealant in using a track pump. Somewhat to my surprise it all popped into place first time with only a small amount of over pressure. I deflated it, put the sealant in and pumped it up to the correct pressure. I rode it last weekend for the first time after about a week in storage. It hadn't lost significant pressure and behaved perfectly on the ride. I now have a road bike with tubeless tyres as well; it will be interesting to see if that is so well behaved. Hopefully it will be more than a year before I have to worry about that and I think I might get myself a CO2 inflater before then.
Old 10-09-23, 03:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
I thought I was going to see a photo of a yummy BLT.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-09-23, 04:31 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I am not sure what the Bontrager sealant looks like when fresh, but if it is white like some other latex sealants I suspect it may have gone bad in some way. If so I'd rinse it out and put in new. I had the Stans in one wheel turn a clear amber and stop sealing. The other wheel was still fine. The only difference I knew of was that I had used CO2 on the one that went bad. I have read thed CO2 can interact with the sealant and cause the latex to precipitate out so I blamed that. I can't say for sure that was what happened, but I would suggest either never using CO2 with tubeless or letting theCO2 out and refilling with air as soon as convenient if you do.

All that is assuming Bontrager is water base latex and similar to the Stans stuff I use.
Old 10-09-23, 06:55 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I am not sure what the Bontrager sealant looks like when fresh, but if it is white like some other latex sealants I suspect it may have gone bad in some way. If so I'd rinse it out and put in new. I had the Stans in one wheel turn a clear amber and stop sealing. The other wheel was still fine. The only difference I knew of was that I had used CO2 on the one that went bad. I have read thed CO2 can interact with the sealant and cause the latex to precipitate out so I blamed that. I can't say for sure that was what happened, but I would suggest either never using CO2 with tubeless or letting theCO2 out and refilling with air as soon as convenient if you do.

All that is assuming Bontrager is water base latex and similar to the Stans stuff I use.
The latest Bontager sealant is a light blue color. I’ve read online so it must’ve true it was originally white. The blue stuff is supposed to be like Stan’s but with black solid bits to seal better.
Old 10-09-23, 07:38 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I thought I was going to see a photo of a yummy BLT.
it was good...

Likes For spelger:
Old 10-09-23, 07:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I've been wondering where that BLT was too from the moment you posted this thread. I didn't want to ask because I considered the possibility BLT might be another meaning in the tubeless tire world. And then I'd be showing my typical ignorance.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-09-23 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-09-23, 09:47 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 173 Posts
My first tubeless encounter in the wild was a fellow with a nice road bike, hands and arms splattered with blue stuff, trying to mount his emergency tube and having run out of CO2. Lent him my frame pump and he was able to complete the job. No idea why his plug kit didn't handle the leak, perhaps a rip or somesuch, but I did not envy him riding home covered with tire goo and the actual fix he faced.

No great takeaway other than I saw the other side of going that route, before I considered going that route. Solve three problems and add four?
Old 10-09-23, 10:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
My first tubeless encounter in the wild was a fellow with a nice road bike, hands and arms splattered with blue stuff, trying to mount his emergency tube and having run out of CO2. Lent him my frame pump and he was able to complete the job. No idea why his plug kit didn't handle the leak, perhaps a rip or somesuch, but I did not envy him riding home covered with tire goo and the actual fix he faced.

No great takeaway other than I saw the other side of going that route, before I considered going that route. Solve three problems and add four?
What was your second encounter with tubeless like? Or was this a one-off experience? Over the years I've had many encounters with randos struggling to fix flats. My only conclusion is that some people are clueless, regardless of their gear. So I tend not to take much notice.
Old 10-09-23, 10:29 AM
spelger

after getting just a little of the sealant on my hand i thought about having to put a tube in should that ever be needed. seems like such a mess. i suppose if the sealant does its job in the majority of cases it is probably worth it since that should be very rare.
Old 10-09-23, 10:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
after getting just a little of the sealant on my hand i thought about having to put a tube in should that ever be needed. seems like such a mess. i suppose if the sealant does its job in the majority of cases it is probably worth it since that should be very rare.
So rare that I don't even carry a spare tube unless on an epic ride in the wilderness.
Old 10-09-23, 12:59 PM
spelger

this guy i helped was older than me and not as in good a shape, not bad mind you, but was not able to pump for very long after i tired. he was on an e-bike that looked relatively newer. specialized if i recall, nice looking ride.
Old 10-09-23, 01:16 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I've never understood why people are so worried about getting sealant on their hands.

Y'all will walk around with chain ring tattoos and mud stripes up your rear, but if a drop of sealant touches anything other than the inside of the tire it's like "welp this is stupid I'm going back to tubes".
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-09-23, 08:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
I’ve had to do it 3 times in 7 years, and one of those times was my fault. Early season ride without refreshing the sealant.

The stuff is water-soluble, so it’s easy the clean off your hands.
Old 10-10-23, 07:28 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've been wondering where that BLT was too from the moment you posted this thread. I didn't want to ask because I considered the possibility BLT might be another meaning in the tubeless tire world. And then I'd be showing my typical ignorance.
BLT = Badly Leaking Tubeless
Old 10-10-23, 09:33 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I've never understood why people are so worried about getting sealant on their hands.

Y'all will walk around with chain ring tattoos and mud stripes up your rear, but if a drop of sealant touches anything other than the inside of the tire it's like "welp this is stupid I'm going back to tubes".
Yeah, I don't get it either. It rinses right off with plain water unless there is some kind of non waterbased sealant that they are using. If you let it get dried on a bit it is a little messier, but still not a big deal. It washes off easy enough. Dirty chains are far worse to deal with when using most lubes, probably even wax.

Heck your hands probably get dirtier taking a tire off to patch/change a tube than getting a little sealant on your hand when putting in a plug. Putting in a tube in a tubless because the tire is too damaged for sealant or plugging to work may be a bit messier, but a very infrequent occurance that you may never have to do and isn't all that bad any way.

I've been tubeless for a few years on my mountain bikes and have never needed to put a tube in a tubeless setup or gotten much sealant on my hands when out on the trail. Even needing to put in a plug has been a very rare occurance. Before tubeless fixing punctures was a frequent thing.
Old 10-10-23, 10:13 AM
spelger

not sure where the worry about sealant on the hands is coming from. as mentioned, i got it on my hands. no big deal. messy? yes. end of world? no. it was my first ever experience with it, never saw it before until that day.