Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Kickr Smart Trainer or Kickr Core?

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 12:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked 5,661 Times in 2,928 Posts

My KICKR is wearing out and am wondering if going to a far less expensive Core is much of a step down? Any BTDT or thoughts on the two? Am I giving away much?

Old 11-22-23, 02:25 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
what does "wearing out" mean exactly?

biggest diff between the two IIRC is max grade is 20% on the kicker while somethign less that that on the core. in Zwift there was only one route that had a 22% grade...yorkshire i think. unless that has changed. i'd want to be able to go up the radio tower hill at least. i think that maxed out at 17%.

then there is the power difference too, kicker i think maxes out a 2000 watts. core probably less. for me even if it were "only" 1000 watts i'd not miss anything, i've never see that before. 700 is my max according to zwitf.
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-22-23, 06:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by spelger

biggest diff between the two IIRC is max grade is 20% on the kicker while somethign less that that on the core. in Zwift there was only one route that had a 22% grade...yorkshire i think. unless that has changed. i'd want to be able to go up the radio tower hill at least. i think that maxed out at 17%.

then there is the power difference too, kicker i think maxes out a 2000 watts. core probably less. for me even if it were "only" 1000 watts i'd not miss anything, i've never see that before. 700 is my max according to zwitf.
It is making all sorts of horrible noises, like metal on metal with a kind of grinding feel through the pedals - then it will mysteriously disappear for 10 minutes to then reappear. If there are repair services, I would prefer to have it repaired. Any Indy’s out there or is it only return to manufacturer?

Old 11-22-23, 06:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Think my max was 650 Watts, so no worries about getting remotely close to 1000. Have been up radio tower numerous times so there’s no magic there unless its bone breaking on the Core.

Old 11-22-23, 07:15 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 3,019 Posts

Those max power figures are achieved at a relatively high speed and cadence. 2000W might sound like overkill, but it translates to a much lower max power at low speed. That’s why the max slope grades can be somewhat limited on lower power trainers, even though the max Watttage still seems higher than necessary.
Old 11-22-23, 07:35 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
It is making all sorts of horrible noises, like metal on metal with a kind of grinding feel through the pedals - then it will mysteriously disappear for 10 minutes to then reappear. If there are repair services, I would prefer to have it repaired. Any Indy’s out there or is it only return to manufacturer?
Contact Kickr. They might just warranty replace it.

This is not an uncommon problem, and they seem to be aware of that.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 11-22-23, 07:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Kontact
Contact Kickr. They might just warranty replace it.

This is not an uncommon problem, and they seem to be aware of that.
Unfortunately I am but am not the original owner. The original owner had issues with his first one and got a refurbishment which he sold to me for $600. So not being the original owner and not being in their records is no doubt no bueno.

Old 11-22-23, 08:04 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
Unfortunately I am but am not the original owner. The original owner had issues with his first one and got a refurbishment which he sold to me for $600. So not being the original owner and not being in their records is no doubt no bueno.
Records? What records? KICKR doesn't know where every one of their trainers was sold. So I would ask them without volunteering how you got it.

I'm not generally in favor of bilking manufacturers with false warranty claims, but I have witnessed several brands that seem very aware that their products have problems and the CS rep simply doesn't ask for proof of purchase. That's on them. You got this new - see what they say.
Old 11-22-23, 09:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Kontact
Records? What records? KICKR doesn't know where every one of their trainers was sold. So I would ask them without volunteering how you got it.

I'm not generally in favor of bilking manufacturers with false warranty claims, but I have witnessed several brands that seem very aware that their products have problems and the CS rep simply doesn't ask for proof of purchase. That's on them. You got this new - see what they say.
Definitely worth a shot. Appreciate your council. Happy T-day

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-22-23, 11:20 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
it is not too hard to remove the cover (from the kicker). i needed to do that when the pully wheel began to squeek like a, well, you know. three times i had to hit it with aerosol silicon lube. it was quite until she broke about a month ago. ended up getting a direto trainer. i'm finding that it has its own troubles too, like the inability to maintain a set power at low power levels. at least one time the trainer refused to lower target power during an erg session. getting help from elite now.

anyway, what do yo uhave to lose? just open it up and find out what you can see. just a few screws is all it takes to have a look. could be something obvious.
Likes For spelger: