Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

For those with a Direto trainer

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 10:03 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts

So a recent thread popped up about Direto with a fantastic price, my Kicker broke so the timing couldn't be better. I now wish the timing had been horrible.

so for those who have one of these how would you rate the trainer in ERG mode? for me i have done a few workouts and about half have been like nothing i have ever done on the Kicker. today was the absolute worst, it behaved as if the trainer were only in a fixed resistance mode at some default setting, i was flying through segments that required 125% of my FTP and they felt just like the 55% segments. all the while my cadence and gearing was maintained essentially constant. looking at the fit file i see the virtual speed all over the place.

i am currently in contact with Elite about this but it seems like i've reached some call center and they are just going down a list of why it is correct and why i am wrong. very unhappy with this purchase.

not wanting to dis Elite but i am getting pretty frustrated now.

(damn broken wahoo kicker.)
Old 11-28-23, 08:31 AM
spelger

Well they reached out to me again this morning with the suggestion to clean the motor screw. i think they are now starting to move from the denial phase to the bargaining phase.
at least i now have permission to open up the unit.
Old 11-28-23, 08:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
I have a Direto X (2019 model) and it behaves pretty well in ERG mode. I have a Kickr Bike to compare it with and ERG mode workouts feel pretty similar on both. Don't let them tell you it is normal behaviour. It might be worth looking up DCRainmaker's review and comments section. If there was an inherent problem he would have flagged it up for sure.
Old 11-28-23, 02:25 PM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
It sounds like you were not connected to the trainer. Bluetooth? If so, did you check if it was behaving the same with Ant+ FE-C? Yes, the delay is more acute on Elite trainers. My H2 is night and day compared to my first-gen Drivo. Luckily I never had to deal with Bluetooth or Bluetooth FTMS.
Old 11-29-23, 08:28 AM
spelger

yes, i was connected. the trainer responded to my input power and cadence changes while watching on teh screen. it just did not apply the target power or grade changes when instructed. as if the RX portion did not work.

i've not had a problem with either ANT or BLE on my Kicker. with the Direto neither is consistent. the connection was with BLE, after riding for an hour i was too frustrated to try with ANT.

so took off the cover yesterday and did their motor exercise test, it went fine. need the proper lube to complete the test though. they call out technical vaseline grease. wonder how many use Vaseline from the drug store?
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-29-23, 11:18 AM
PeteHski

What App and hardware are you using for your ERG mode workouts? It sounds like your trainer might have been connected to the App in passive mode ie it would just report power and cadence to the App but not allow the App to control resistance.
Old 11-29-23, 02:10 PM
spelger

Funny you should mention passive mode. i was thinking just that same thing on my way in to work this morning.

i was using Rouvy. had been quite some time since i had used it so of course it got updated (by me). i'm wondering if there is some sort of observe function like in zwift. i've only tried 4 rides in Rouvy since installing it and looked at the fit files, all were incorrect. last night i did a quick ERG test with my own app and it worked flawlessly. did a ride in Indivelo, worked fine. was using FulGaz but finding that an unpleasent experience. it did work though but ERG was not what i would have expected, hard for the Direto to maintain target power. i compare to hwat i had though: Kicker.

some things to look at after work today.
Old 11-29-23, 06:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Try asking on the Elite trainer FB page.. I know, we hate FB, but it might work out :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1380212845399014
Old 11-29-23, 06:36 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by spelger
Funny you should mention passive mode. i was thinking just that same thing on my way in to work this morning.

i was using Rouvy. had been quite some time since i had used it so of course it got updated (by me). i'm wondering if there is some sort of observe function like in zwift. i've only tried 4 rides in Rouvy since installing it and looked at the fit files, all were incorrect. last night i did a quick ERG test with my own app and it worked flawlessly. did a ride in Indivelo, worked fine. was using FulGaz but finding that an unpleasent experience. it did work though but ERG was not what i would have expected, hard for the Direto to maintain target power. i compare to hwat i had though: Kicker.

some things to look at after work today.
I was using Sufferfest/SYSTM and Zwift for ERG mode sessions and they both worked well. I only used Rouvy in sim mode, which worked fine. But I never used ERG mode in Rouvy.
Old 11-29-23, 08:19 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I was using Sufferfest/SYSTM and Zwift for ERG mode sessions and they both worked well. I only used Rouvy in sim mode, which worked fine. But I never used ERG mode in Rouvy.
well chalk up the error to me, i looked high and low in Rouvy for a monitor mode, or just a watch mode and couldn't find one. then i decided to have a look at the connections and found that the trainer was connected as a power meter and then i noticed a controller down at the bottom. that was it. Rouvy recently made a lot of UI changes and i think i just missed it.

but, i will say that the ERG mode session was really flawless after having re-lubed the motor's lead screw. power was only ever off my 1 or 2 % of target. this was much controlled compared to the ERG sessions i did in FulGaz.

hoping this solves my issues. time will tell. i got pretty beat up today so will ride again friday.
Old 11-29-23, 08:21 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Try asking on the Elite trainer FB page.. I know, we hate FB, but it might work out :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1380212845399014
you're right, i do hate face book. i started an account last year by my sister's recommendation to help my dad sell a bunch of things after my mom passed away and it really was a nightmare. craig's list was so much easier. have not looked at FB in a couple of months.
Old 11-30-23, 04:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by spelger
well chalk up the error to me, i looked high and low in Rouvy for a monitor mode, or just a watch mode and couldn't find one. then i decided to have a look at the connections and found that the trainer was connected as a power meter and then i noticed a controller down at the bottom. that was it. Rouvy recently made a lot of UI changes and i think i just missed it.

but, i will say that the ERG mode session was really flawless after having re-lubed the motor's lead screw. power was only ever off my 1 or 2 % of target. this was much controlled compared to the ERG sessions i did in FulGaz.

hoping this solves my issues. time will tell. i got pretty beat up today so will ride again friday.
Yeah that’s what I meant by passive mode ie. not connected as a controllable trainer. I think you will be fine with the Direto. I used mine heavily for 2 years before I went all-in with a Kickr Bike. It responded pretty well even on short, high power sprint intervals.