Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training for flats by doing hills?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-23, 11:14 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

I have a goal in mind where I want to ride a substantial distance just because I want to. It’s going to be a solo unsupported ride with no trophies or such, I just want to do it before I become too old.
I’ve selected a route that fits a few of my criteria (mainly safe) and I’ve intentionally chosen a flat route just to make it no harder than it will already be for me. Now with regards to training, I live in an area that is a Mecca for hill climbing so to save fuel and driving time, I train mostly right out my front door.
So my question being, how well does hill training work for a flat terrain route? Seems to me due to it being harder, it would work very well but perhaps I’m missing something?
Old 09-14-23, 06:40 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
The only issue I can think of is that your local terrain probably doesn't encourage you to get used to pedaling for a long time in an aero position.
Old 09-14-23, 07:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
On my TransAm, Kansas was an eye-opener because I had to pedal All. The. Time. I'd gotten used to being able to take a break and coast downhill.

After lots of climbing, you'll have the fitness, but you may have to adjust to easing back 5-10% so you can keep pedaling when you get to the flats.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-14-23, 08:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I'm in constantly up and down terrain too. My biggest issue in flat terrain is going too hard on the first part and being worn out for the second part. If you have a PM, learn to use it for keeping your power at a pace you can sustain the entire time on the flats.

Staying aero at the higher speeds you'll have on the flat road is also real important. But it's also important for the short hills too that you can climb at 16 - 20 mph or more. So staying aero whether on flats or hilly rides is a energy saver.
Old 09-14-23, 08:57 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
what kind of distance are you talking about 100, 200, 300 or more single day or multiple day ? really just putting in the long hours in the saddle will get you ready and you should do fine if you are putting long hours at a time in whether up or down or flat.
Old 09-14-23, 09:29 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
what kind of distance are you talking about 100, 200, 300 or more single day or multiple day ? really just putting in the long hours in the saddle will get you ready and you should do fine if you are putting long hours at a time in whether up or down or flat.
Attempting a 200 mile
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 09-14-23, 09:41 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Since I'm primarily a climber, I find it takes more concentration to maintain a decent power output on a flat course. That's probably because of some neuro-muscular-science-blah-blah thing.

I did some training for a flat-ish time trial once, just riding some flat roads at a high tempo. My flat speed improved, but I still didn't put out the same power on the flat as I could on the hills.

I'd recommend doing at least some training on a flat road, just to get used to the feeling of doing that constantly. A power meter would help, too.

Old 09-14-23, 09:42 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Attempting a 200 mile
you should be good training on any terrain as long as you are putting in some nice long 8 hour days in the saddle training rides leading up to it. sounds fun
Old 09-16-23, 08:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
You will be fine. Hills are much harder than flat riding!

Your flat riding may not be optimised in terms of position, cadence etc, but it will feel relatively easy.