Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Kickr Core - Please help me decide

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-23, 10:21 AM
yg82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I’m completely new to cycling, so I apologize in advance for the stupid questions I’ll ask.

I will buy a Kickr Core, to use with a Decathlon Triban RC120 bike (Microshift 2x8 cassette, 11-34T, quick release).

Since I will only be using the bike indoors, I think I have three options:
  • get the Kickr with 8-speed cassette included for €630. Unfortunately the cassette is 11-28, so I’m not sure if it will work with my bike.
  • buy the Kickr without a cassette (€500), take the cassette from the bike and mount it on the Kickr
  • buy the Kickr for €500 and an 8spd 11-34 cassette for €15; Shimano CS hg31 / HG41 / HG51 seem to be the only options available but they are marketed as MTB cassettes; will it cause any problems?
What do you think would be the best option, considering I know nothing about bicycle mechanics? I know that the €630 Kickr package includes a 1 year Zwift subscription, but I don’t consider that in my decision, because I think I’ll use Rouvy.

Thanks
Old 11-26-23, 03:32 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
if you're only going to use the bike indoors then i'd be inclined to spend the 500 + 15 to get the kicker and the cassette. unless the kicker will have the cassette installed you may need the tools to install that. another expense unless you can borrow one. not overly expensive though but a bummer if you only use it once. regarding MTB cassette marketing, it is just that, marketing (imo), as long as the speed is correct then the cog size doesn't matter, as long as it fits your RD. i would not hesitate to use either of these.

you will be happy with the kicker core.
Old 11-27-23, 05:26 AM
oldukbkr 

Bikes: '59 Rory O'Brien, 49/72 Holdsworth Trike, '66 Bates BAR, '74 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
11-28 will work fine with your bike because the low gear 28t is smaller than the low gear 34t on your bike so your chain is the right size for both.

you may need to adjust your derailleur limit screws once the bike is on the trainer because the Kickr cassette might not be in the same position between the forks as the old one was. This isn’t difficult if you know what you’re doing. Look online for derailleur adjustment videos.

good luck. Kickr is a great trainer.
Old 11-27-23, 08:02 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Welcome!
There are no stupid questions!!!!!

Option #2.
You'll need a chain whip and a cassette removal tool, about $20. Lots of instruction on the web, Park Tools has great videos and text.
Old 11-27-23, 08:26 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
you should not need to adjust the limit screws. but you will certainly need a spacer for the cassette. i used a kicker with an 8 speed and needed a spacer. i have a 10 speed now and still need a spacer. spacers come in a variety of thicknesses so either get the right one or get a set that can be combined to what is needed.