Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roadies with platforms & toe clips: what shoes to you wear? (when not commuting)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roadies with platforms & toe clips: what shoes to you wear? (when not commuting)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 12:26 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts

Road bike newbie here - just got an old steel-frame Allez and it has MKS Syvan Touring pedals and matching chrome toe clips and straps.

I commute on a MTB and wear whatever on it, but if I'm going to be out on the weekends riding the road bike, I'd rather not look like a fool.

I need to buy some padded cycling shorts and probably a jersey too, but I'm not ready to spend well over $100 for "clipless" pedals and matching shoes just yet.

Can I just wear regular running shoes and look respectable?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-14, 12:35 PM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to use the toe clips, you can use any shoe you like. A cycling shoe is very stiff, so you would be best off with something similar, but unless you are hauling up large hills or trying to fly fast, you don't need a cycling shoe if you wear the clips tight. I usually kept one foot looser so I could get out quickly if needed.

I wouldn't worry what you look like.

As for padded shorts, I buy liners with the padding so I can wear regular shorts and not chafe. These are typically cheaper than the shorts.
Old 03-26-14, 12:56 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
If you are gonna go any real distance, the running shoes are gonna start to hurt a little, because the sole is not stiff. Despite previous advice to the contrary, this is probably gonna be worse if you really crank the straps down. That said, use what you got for now, spend the money when you have a better idea of what you want. Also, lycra shorts have advantages besides the chamois. Primarily, they don't flap in the wind and they don't get soaked with sweat.
Old 03-26-14, 01:01 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wore running shoes when I used toe clips. It was a perfect match.
I never cinched the strap all the way tight. I left the clips just loose enough to get my feet in and out with no problem but still tight enough to be effective.
They helped make my transition to "clipless" pedals and shoes seamless.

Pearl Izumi makes a nice padded liner you can use with regular or gym shorts. It's an easy way to slip in to rode cycling without taking a major thump to the wallet. On the other hand they also make some quality lycra shorts at a budget price.
Old 03-26-14, 01:04 PM
sosojeffcc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adidas Sambas work pretty well for me
Old 03-26-14, 01:11 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
I need to buy some padded cycling shorts and probably a jersey too, but I'm not ready to spend well over $100 for "clipless" pedals and matching shoes just yet.?
I'd buy the cycling shorts first, then the pedals and shoes. Cyclig-specific jersey would be one of the last things I'd buy.
Old 03-26-14, 01:18 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
You'll be ok with tennis shoes.

Cycling shoes will 2 things for you though: 1) as previously alluded, make your feet more comfortable by the stiff sole taking stress off your foot, and 2) allow you to be properly connected to the pedals.

The way those toe clips, and pedals are designed to be used it with cycling shoes, and a cleat that slots over the back of the pedal. It's an as efficient system of pedaling, but its not as convenient as clipless.

So one option if you want to go old school is buy just the shoes, bolt on the old style cleat, and keep your current pedals. Of course when you switch to clipless, you can still use the shoes.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-26-14, 01:24 PM
rocdoc

Bikes: Novara Strada 5D (road/touring); Fuji Cross 3.0 (trail/cyclocross); SE Stout 29er (mountain, single speed)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my biking is short touring routes on local and regional trails, so I wear running or hiking shoes for the frequent stops to take in nature and hidden spots. Works OK - you're not going to get top performance out of anything this way really, so go with what's comfy. One important thing that should be mentioned: running shoes may have long laces that can get caught in the gearing - very dangerous! Pay attention to this and tie them so they're safely far from the chain. Also, I agree with getting padded shorts first - that's the part you will definitely feel before anything else. And not in a pleasant way, if you don't have the right padding...
Old 03-26-14, 01:45 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
I never tightened my straps at all when I lived and rode in a busy urban area (nyc). There's only so much hammering you can do on the city streets, and it's imperative to be able to get your favorite foot out quickly in that environment.

Now of course when I rode in more open areas I would tighten them a bit more, but still not bear trap tight.

But that's just me.
Old 03-26-14, 01:47 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
I generally like standard running shoes (not minimalist style ones) for clips-n-straps. Nice thick sole compresses a bit when strap cinched down so kinda helps lock you in without cutting off your circulation.

If you wanna try clipless it's likely cheaper than you imagine with SPDs.

Nice comfy, walkable shoes for $31.50

Diadora Globe MTB/Trekking Shoe at WesternBikeworks

Pedals and cleats for $34.19

Shimano PD-M520 SPD Pedals at WesternBikeworks
Old 03-26-14, 01:53 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...alf-clips.html

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 03-26-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 01:57 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by rocdoc
One important thing that should be mentioned: running shoes may have long laces that can get caught in the gearing - very dangerous! Pay attention to this and tie them so they're safely far from the chain. Also, I agree with getting padded shorts first - that's the part you will definitely feel before anything else. And not in a pleasant way, if you don't have the right padding...
I always tuck my right foot's laces under the laces crossing between eyelets down by my toes.

The worst for me is Chuck Taylors with stock laces. I've long, skinny feet so those laces wind up being WAY too long. Gotta double knot and they still drag on the ground when walking.
Old 03-26-14, 02:14 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocdoc
One important thing that should be mentioned: running shoes may have long laces that can get caught in the gearing - very dangerous! Pay attention to this and tie them so they're safely far from the chain. right padding...
There is a solution. I use Lock Laces on all my running shoes.
Old 03-26-14, 02:24 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I always tuck my right foot's laces under the laces crossing between eyelets down by my toes..
Last year I actually got my left shoelace wrapped on the pedal spindle and it kept wrapping and tightening until I stopped.

10 Wheels: I like the Velo Orange chrome Half Clips - those should be great on my MTB to get my foot positioned the same. Might have to put a counter weight / toe flipper on the back side of the pedal to help keep them horizontal 'cause of being off the pedal frequently on the trail or dirt road.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-26-14, 02:27 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
.... just got an old steel-frame Allez and it has MKS Syvan Touring pedals and matching chrome toe clips and straps. ...... I'm going to be out on the weekends riding the road bike, I'd rather not look like a fool.

I need to buy some padded cycling shorts and probably a jersey too, but ........ Can I just wear regular running shoes and look respectable?
Originally.... I believe the bent-wire toe cages were intended to keep cyclist feet from slipping off the wet pedals (and they STILL work great for that). Later it was decided that adding straps and securing the foot to the pedal marginally added to the cyclists efficiency. Since you won't be winning (or losing) any races on a pleasure ride. Just try wearing running shoes and leave the straps loose enough to slip your foot in and out of easily. That's what I do.... when I ride my steel back-up bike with down tube mounted shifters.

I think... [maybe because I started with cages in the mid-60's]... I like cages more than the clip-in/clip-less pedals/shoes I normally use. But modern clip-less pedals offer a much better shoe choice/selection than the running or tennis shoes I use with cages.

So when I ride my "normal" road bike.... I use clip-less pedals and shoes.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 03-26-14 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 02:29 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
When I was running toe clips I wore the stiffest soled laceless shoe I could find.
Old 03-26-14, 02:35 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by RoadTire
Last year I actually got my left shoelace wrapped on the pedal spindle and it kept wrapping and tightening until I stopped.
I used to have that happen all the time before I started religiously tucking them away, enough so that I could unwrap it by back pedaling, then just tuck them into my shoe without stopping the bike.
Old 03-26-14, 02:37 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I think... [maybe because I started with cages in the mid-60's]... I like cages more than the clip-in/clip-less pedals/shoes I normally use. But modern clip-less pedals offer a much better shoe choice/selection than the running or tennis shoes I use with cages.
If you actually like toeclips and straps, you can use moder cycling shoes with these: Bicycle Shoe Cleats for Toeclip Pedals $29.95 at Yellow Jersey

I still have a set of shoes with cleats for the Super leggera pedals on my track bike.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-26-14, 02:43 PM
roadandmountain
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just ride.

Road bike newbie here - just got an old steel-frame Allez and it has MKS Syvan Touring pedals and matching chrome toe clips and straps.

I commute on a MTB and wear whatever on it, but if I'm going to be out on the weekends riding the road bike, I'd rather not look like a fool.

I need to buy some padded cycling shorts and probably a jersey too, but I'm not ready to spend well over $100 for "clipless" pedals and matching shoes just yet.

Can I just wear regular running shoes and look respectable?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-14, 02:49 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire

10 Wheels: I like the Velo Orange chrome Half Clips - those should be great on my MTB to get my foot positioned the same. Might have to put a counter weight / toe flipper on the back side of the pedal to help keep them horizontal 'cause of being off the pedal frequently on the trail or dirt road.
I use them on three bikes...They work fine with size 14 shoes...had to make a small extension from wood for the front.

Old 03-26-14, 04:49 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
If you actually like toeclips and straps, you can use moder cycling shoes with these: Bicycle Shoe Cleats for Toeclip Pedals $29.95 at Yellow Jersey
Thanks for the link!
Old 03-26-14, 06:34 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
When I rebuilt my olde 73 Holdsworth that was custom made for me when I was 16 a few year ago I put the olde superlegger pedals on and rode it a few times. It was awful because there is no float. I had no memory of anything but joy when I use to ride them so many years before.

The slots on the old metal cleats could be filed to provide some float, but the plastic ones look like it's not possible.
NOS T A J Anquetil Vintage Shoe Cleats Modele Cross | eBay

IMHO clipless pedals are easily the single best innovation in cycling since derailleurs were invented.

Last edited by sced; 03-26-14 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 08:25 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My Lowa Renegade boots have a polyurethane midsole. I cut out a square of the rubber tread and installed some eggbeater cleats. They aren't as stiff as a cycling shoe when riding, but I'm not sprinting on the way to work. I put a 1/8" aluminum plate between the midsole and cleat for the pedal arms to interface.

Beats toe clips. Those things suck.
Old 03-26-14, 10:20 PM
dkmtr

Bikes: Motobecane Road Giant Mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
somewhat off topic but, a saddle is also a good investment. Find out how to measure your saddle to fit you here How to Measure Sit Bone Width For Bicycle Saddle Selection - YouTube

Chris

ride safe
Old 03-26-14, 11:30 PM
never_recover
Newbie?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I used to have that happen all the time before I started religiously tucking them away, enough so that I could unwrap it by back pedaling, then just tuck them into my shoe without stopping the bike.
I've had the laces wrapping on my fixed-gear commuter... let's just say I learned a lesson that day.. I'm still thankful the laces broke before my leg...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.