Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favorite Intervals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Favorite Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 12:50 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite Intervals

Do you have a favorite interval? If so why do you like that interval?

Last edited by TexMac; 04-02-14 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 12:58 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFYRiqodvU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzSFYRiqodvU For winter trainer work in the morning before work.
Soon will be able to do them in real life on the road.
Pirk
Old 04-02-14, 01:10 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFYRiqodvU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzSFYRiqodvU For winter trainer work in the morning before work.
Pirk
That does look pretty good short interval
Old 04-02-14, 01:12 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pirk
My favorite is 8 x (3+1). 3 being at 250 watts and 1 being 170 watts
Old 04-02-14, 01:47 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Favorite Interval; Oxymoron.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-02-14, 01:52 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by TexMac
My favorite is 8 x (3+1). 3 being at 250 watts and 1 being 170 watts
This makes no sense.

First you can't express intervals in terms of watts and have it mean anything to anyone else. It needs to be a percentage of FTP.

Second is the 1 minute at 170 supposed to be the recovery? or is part of the interval? Typically, you'd refer to this as 8x3 on one minute rest, if that's what you're describing.

Third, what are you targeting here? 3 minute intervals are kinda neither here nor there length wise. Your intervals are going to vary in length and intensity depending on the place you are in your schedule, and what you're working on.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-02-14 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 02:00 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Sprint 30 seconds, cruise for 2 minutes. Repeat a bunch of times.

Find a big hill. Ride up it, then coast back down. Repeat a bunch of times.

Ride hard for a mile, then ride at an easy pace for a mile. Repeat a bunch of times.

Keep it simple.
Old 04-02-14, 02:03 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
This makes no sense.

First you can't express intervals in terms of watts and have it mean anything to anyone else. It needs to be a percentage of FTP.

Second is the 1 minute at 170 supposed to be the recovery? or is part of the interval? Typically, you'd refer to this as 8x3 on one minute rest, if that's what you're describing.

Third, what are you targeting here? 3 minutes is on the long side to be intense enough to target V02max, but too short to target FTP.
Makes no sense?
Why can't you express intervals in terms of watts? Don't people train using power? I follow a "12 week winter training" book and that's how they write their intervals. It's simple explanation, 8 sets of 3 minute sub threshold and 1 minute recovery.
I do this on an egornomic bike that's my power numbers.
yes 1 minute is recovery.
Old 04-02-14, 02:09 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Because it doesn't make any sense to anyone else. 250 for one person is going to be an easy endurance pace, for another it's going to be V02 max, and for another an all out 30 second effort.

Also, it has to change for you as your FTP changes, or you won't being hitting your Zones correctly.

If you're going to do 3 minute intervals, you want them at 105%-110% of your V02max power or about 120% of FTP. Saying at 250 watts only makes sense if that is 120% of FTP.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-02-14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 02:13 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
We do a pretty fun one in our trainer class. It's a one half hour standing drill, in your hardest gear, with fifteen second sprints thrown in at the top of each minute.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-02-14, 02:27 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

This question would likely get more helpful responses if it were more defined, i.e. What's your favorite interval for raising FTP? or what's your favorite interval for raising one minute power, or what's your favorite interval to help you recover quickly, hang in a crit?

It all depends on what you're training, what you're traing for, and where you are in your cycle.

That said, since I like winning races, my favorite interval is race winning intervals. They're based upon the pattern of what Coggan and Allen found in power files from race winning moves.

They go something like this: One minute all out (2xFTP or thereabouts, to get seperation or join the break) 10 minutes at 100-105% FTP ( to keep the break away) 20 second all out sprint (to take the win from your breakaway partners).
Old 04-02-14, 02:49 PM
sosojeffcc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pirk
thanks for this!! will be perfect for doing on the crappy hotel gym bike when i'm on the road travelling.
Old 04-02-14, 05:38 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because it doesn't make any sense to anyone else. 250 for one person is going to be an easy endurance pace, for another it's going to be V02 max, and for another an all out 30 second effort.

Also, it has to change for you as your FTP changes, or you won't being hitting your Zones correctly.

If you're going to do 3 minute intervals, you want them at 105%-110% of your V02max power or about 120% of FTP. Saying at 250 watts only makes sense if that is 120% of FTP.
Maybe you need to understand this is "MY Interval". I asked for people's favorite intervals not universal intervals.

105% is good but my understanding is you DON'T have to do 3 minute interval at 105%. 250watts happens to be 85%. This is the early winter building phase (week 8) and 3 minute at 105% is towards the end of the building phase (week12).3 minute at 85% with 1 minute rest happens to be my favorite.
Old 04-02-14, 05:39 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a hill with a grade from 15-22% that takes me about 90 seconds to ride, which is perfect for out of the saddle intervals.
Old 04-02-14, 05:40 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
We do a pretty fun one in our trainer class. It's a one half hour standing drill, in your hardest gear, with fifteen second sprints thrown in at the top of each minute.
One half hour standing? I assume this is for the hills
Old 04-02-14, 05:42 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe you need to understand this is "MY Interval". I asked for people's favorite intervals not universal intervals.

105% is good but my understanding is you DON'T have to do 3 minute interval at 105%. 250watts happens to be 85%. This is the early winter building phase (week 8) and 3 minute at 105% is towards the end of the building phase (week12).3 minute at 85% with 1 minute rest happens to be my favorite.
But wouldn't that 85% change as you get more powerful? I've never heard of anyone expressing intervals in watts.
Old 04-02-14, 05:42 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
I have a hill with a grade from 15-22% that takes me about 90 seconds to ride, which is perfect for out of the saddle intervals.
Do you sit or stand during the interval?
Old 04-02-14, 05:47 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This question would likely get more helpful responses if it were more defined, i.e. What's your favorite interval for raising FTP? or what's your favorite interval for raising one minute power, or what's your favorite interval to help you recover quickly, hang in a crit?

It all depends on what you're training, what you're traing for, and where you are in your cycle.

That said, since I like winning races, my favorite interval is race winning intervals. They're based upon the pattern of what Coggan and Allen found in power files from race winning moves.

They go something like this: One minute all out (2xFTP or thereabouts, to get seperation or join the break) 10 minutes at 100-105% FTP ( to keep the break away) 20 second all out sprint (to take the win from your breakaway partners).
10 minutes at 100-105%?

It is/was a simple question? "what's your favorite interval"
Old 04-02-14, 05:49 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NathanC
But wouldn't that 85% change as you get more powerful? I've never heard of anyone expressing intervals in watts.
yes that 85% will/would change with time but at this point this happens to be my favorite interval.
Old 04-02-14, 05:51 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Favorite Interval; Oxymoron.
cognitive dissonance
Old 04-02-14, 07:40 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This makes no sense.

Third, what are you targeting here? 3 minute intervals are kinda neither here nor there length wise. Your intervals are going to vary in length and intensity depending on the place you are in your schedule, and what you're working on.
An article from Jonathan Vaughters on Bicycling.com.

"I call this the On/Off Interval, or 10/20. After a 30 to 45-minute warm-up, find a flat stretch of road with no stops or traffic lights that takes you at least 10 minutes to ride. Then, very simply, ride 10 seconds in an all-out sprint, followed by 20 seconds of easy spinning--over and over. For 10 minutes. Each sprint must be at your max, and you can't coast during the 20-second rest, either; you have to keep spinning. For those of you with power meters, the 10-second "on" should be 600 to 1,000 watts, and the 20-second "off" about 150 to 200."
Old 04-02-14, 07:55 PM
sosojeffcc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An article from Jonathan Vaughters on Bicycling.com.

"I call this the On/Off Interval, or 10/20. After a 30 to 45-minute warm-up, find a flat stretch of road with no stops or traffic lights that takes you at least 10 minutes to ride. Then, very simply, ride 10 seconds in an all-out sprint, followed by 20 seconds of easy spinning--over and over. For 10 minutes. Each sprint must be at your max, and you can't coast during the 20-second rest, either; you have to keep spinning. For those of you with power meters, the 10-second "on" should be 600 to 1,000 watts, and the 20-second "off" about 150 to 200."
that sounds terrible. Ugh!
Old 04-02-14, 08:56 PM
THSdrummer

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5 x (30 secs. all out w/ 30 secs. rest - spin or stop). Sometimes I do 3 sets of 5x with 5 minutes between sets. Sometimes I knock the 30 secs. rest down to 20 secs. Sometimes I throw these in at the end of a hard or long ride. Sometimes they are thrown in at the start.

I really don't get to work out very seriously, since running is and has to be my focus for the next couple years. The quick burst one helps bolster the legs a bit without detracting from my running. Another favorite of mine is attacking any of the local steep hills (no climbs over 3 or 4 minutes around here, the steep hills are the ones that make me hurt).

My dream workout that'll do once I finish my running eligibility is:
1x hill spinning/seated
1x hill spinning half - standing half (gear up from first)
1x hill standing whole hill (gear up or stay)
1x hill spinning/seated (gear down)

-Ride to hill furthest from home and do this on each of the four big hills on the way home. (hills around 7/10th of a mile with 150+ feet of elevation gain average, shortest hill - 3/10th of a mile - features a 20% section). I'd also like to spend a ride on one hill (153' rise, 7/10th mile long) until I crack.

EDIT: I guess I should say, my goal for improvement targets what my legs can put out. I don't have a power meter, but I believe my power output is pretty low. I do have a good cardio from running, I've shocked a few riders with how long I can spin, but when it comes to putting out power - I get dropped - and thus I want to change that.
Old 04-02-14, 09:06 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Do you have a favorite interval? If so why do you like that interval?
3x10 minutes at 100-105% of FTP with 5 minutes or less between intervals at a more pleasant tempo pace.

They're effective boosting FTP, not as unpleasant as 20 minute intervals, and more compatible with traffic light spacing on suburban roads.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-02-14 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 10:41 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Do you sit or stand during the interval?
Sit for the first half, stand for the second. The top half is the steepest.

What I like about this interval is there is a goal to it. Get to the top of the hill the fastest. This is more interesting than a flat road interval where I am looking at a clock.

Last edited by Jiggle; 04-02-14 at 10:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.