Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do/Should you own at least 1 "modern" road bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-13, 09:19 PM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts

I have never thought of buying an "entry-level" road bike for $700-$800..
I just thought, buying a higher-grade (vintage) bike could be equivalent to the performance of these entry level road bikes (maybe even better honestly loll).

BUT, if I were to have a modern road bike, I would definitely go with something like the Fuji D6 road bike.
But to spend $2000+ (which is freaking insane to me), is it worth it? I rather go buy a columbus slx frame for 500-600 (dont quote me, just trying to get my point across), piece it together with era-appropriate components, then go fast!
But its also the whole, "new tech, better performance etc." that really pulls me closer to investing on atleasttttt 1 modern style road bike.

Im looking at the Fuji D6 just cause it looks crazy. Compared to the classy vintage road bikes im so used to, this kind of change seems appropriate.(LOLL if THAT makes any sense..)

What do you guys think? I wish i can explain better on how i exactly feel about this topic.. I just thought since this is the 10th time trying to explain myself, im tired..
Old 07-26-13, 09:28 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I just got a 2012 Giant Defy after riding steel downtube shifter bikes forever. Dude..... these modern STI shifters are insane. It would be really hard to go back now. I'll probably build a touring bike one of these days with bar-end shifters. But for a bike to go fast on, STI shifters are awesome.
Old 07-26-13, 09:47 PM
thirdgenbird

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Need a modern bike? No, but I would recommend a bike in the stable with modern components. Get yourself an slx frame and fit it with the group and wheels of your choice. Way cheaper than modern bikes, better looking, and most of the performance.

colnago circa 1984, Campagnolo circa 2007
Old 07-26-13, 10:00 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Need a modern bike? No, but I would recommend a bike in the stable with modern components. Get yourself an slx frame and fit it with the group and wheels of your choice. Way cheaper than modern bikes, better looking, and most of the performance.
What a great bike. If you already have a nice frame to upgrade the trick is finding the right deals on components. If you run into some decent level take-offs at a great price you're golden. But man those deals are hard to find.
Old 07-26-13, 10:40 PM
Watchbird

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Miyata 1000LT, 1000, 610; Univega Gran Turismo, Competizione; Nishiki Riviera GT, Raleigh Portage, Super Grand Prix; Specialized Expedition, Sequoia; TREK 728, 620, 520; Bianchi Brava, Bill Davidson, Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope

My ideal bike is lugged steel with 18 speeds, bar end shifters, a Brooks saddle, and Phil Wood hubs.

If you gave me $2000 to go "modern," I would spend it all on dyno hubs, LED lights, and video cams.

If I had any left over I might get a Phil Wood cassette hub, not because I think cassettes are better (I don't) but because it is getting hard to find good freewheels.

You are probably faster than me, on your 12 pound plastic bike with 33 speeds and brifters. That's OK. I will get there eventually.
Old 07-26-13, 10:47 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
What a great bike. If you already have a nice frame to upgrade the trick is finding the right deals on components. If you run into some decent level take-offs at a great price you're golden. But man those deals are hard to find.
There are deals on components all over. The only new parts on my bike are the pedals, stem, and bars. Everything else was bought used. Now that shimano and sram have gone 11, I expect lots of deals on used 10spd parts soon.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-26-13 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 10:50 PM
JAG410

Bikes: A few ;)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I went modern last year...and sold it. I love brifters, but prefer simpler steel frames.
Old 07-26-13, 10:53 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
Define "modern." Indexed shifting? Brifters?

I do have a 1999 Marin San Marino, but I never ride it.
Old 07-26-13, 11:11 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
I just got my first "modern" bike. It was given to me from my uncle...a 2001 Lemond Nevada City. Steel frame with modern components (Brifters, etc).
Old 07-26-13, 11:35 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Is it necessary, no. Unless you're drawn by the lure of one, there isn't a vacuum that it must fill. If you are competing, then a modern CF road bike has justification.

Value, return on investment, personal goals, and physical limitations, can factor in on one's decision.

All bikes have their own characteristics, that's why one gravitates towards certain types.

Last edited by WNG; 07-28-13 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-27-13, 01:09 AM
dadoflam

Bikes: ’71 Cinelli SC;‘ 72 Cinelli SC ; 2011 Baum Corretto Ti; 2007 BMC SLC01; 1986 Pinarello Team Bike; 1983 De Rosa Professional; 1959 Bianchi TdF; ’78 Masi GC Ca

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I came to vintage bikes via 'modern' bikes and still have a couple of newbies. For me it is a question of material and of advances in groupsets. My modern BMC carbon bike has barely been touched since I got a modern Ti frame bike with 11spd Campy SR - the frame material makes all the difference.

More recently I have put together a 70's Cinelli and 80's Pinarello. The ride 'feel' is great - again thanks to the frame material - but it has to be said that the convenience of modern shifters and performance of modern brake callipers are an advance over the earlier equipment (although there is no denying the magic of a Campy 6spd shift)

As to cost - well you have to compare apples with apples - new with new - or used with used. My Cinelli SC fully restored and built up with 100% period correct NOS components cost almost exactly the same as my modern Ti bike with Campy SR. (although the magic and craftsmanship of the former cannot be denied)
Ironically a brand new 11spd Campy SR groupset is almost identical in price to an NOS '73 Campy NR groupset. The big cost advantage/value of vintage bike is in the frameset. A faithfully restored 80's SLX steel frame will cost less than a contemporary 'high-end' frame - whether it be Ti or carbon - and you get the added bonus of timeless style and hand-built craftsmanship with the former.

My current project is to try a mix - vintage steel frame with modern groupset - a '83 De Rosa Professional frame with Campy 11spd Athena. Modern Athena has to be THE bargain groupset going around - particularly if you get the all alloy version and polish the graphics off.

At the end of the day they are all bikes and are there to be enjoyed!
Old 07-27-13, 01:58 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Nope, but who needs a reason for another bike.

as far as self-justification goes: in the flat country near my house I don't need much gears
at all, just a 52/17 if the wind is at my back and a 52/21 if it's blowing in my face, and a 42/17 if it's really windy out. I could make do with an IGH and since there's no climbing bulky C&V goodies like Brooks saddles and 36 spoke wheels hardly make a difference. But at my other riding spot there are wicked, short hills that will have you bouncr through all the gears every 15 mins., so brifters and light weight help a lot.

Coming soon: my modern bike, just in for refurbishment this week
Old 07-27-13, 02:11 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
There are deals on components all over. The only new parts on my bike are the pedals, stem, and bars. Everything else was bought used. Now that shimano and sram have gone 11, I expect lots of deals on used 10spd parts soon.
Agreed.

I don't usually purchase new gruppos, as I seem to find great deals on used Campy 10 speed gruppos.

Especially 10 speed Chorus, which is incredible.

I made an exception last spring when I found a new Centaur gruppo for a super low price overseas.

It will go on my Ritchey Swiss Cross that I am racing this fall.

As for new(er) bicycles, I have at least four that outperform (imho) any of my c&v bicycles.

Which is why I am still selling off most of the remaining road bikes I own.

The ones I love the most are my two Chris Kvales and my Tommasini that Casey built for me.

My John Hollands is a bicycle that loves to eat up miles and is a perfect credit card tourer.

They fit the best and are the most dialed in.

Interestingly, all of these are made from different Columbus steels.

As for a CF machine, I am baby sitting a friend's Colnago C59 this summer while he is working in China.

Fantastic handling, super stiff stays/bottom bracket shell and 11 speed Super Record.

The bicycle is an absolute dream machine, but way out of my price range.

I am a big guy (masher) and appreciate this "overbuilt" construction.

Edit: Honorable mention goes to my 1994 Colnago Elegant. What a great bicycle.

Last edited by gomango; 07-27-13 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-27-13, 04:03 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Do I? Yes.
Should I? Not really.

I really don't think you need SLX just to appreciate the smoothness of a good steel frame, either. Built right, many Tange, Reynolds, True Temper, Kishiwata, etc frames rival the Columbus. But, let's stick to the original topic. I like good older steel frames because they're darn smooth, predictable, pretty, and elegant. I do like a D6, was offered a frameset/headset/calipers/seatpost, unbuilt, for $1100 and almost jumped.

I have done the modern component re-fit to my steel bikes and prefer the performance levels of the newer stuff, that's all.

I have modern bikes and like them just fine. Not better, just different. Each is a unique experience.
Some are unique, most are not. I still prefer steel.

When all is said and done, I'll not add another modern bike; the magnetism is not there.

Steel? I can't rule out N+1, despite what I tell my wife. In fact, I've got another build underway....

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-24-20 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-27-13, 04:16 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have a mixture of newer and older bikes. I've been riding the older steel bikes far more than the new bikes this year.

I consider my newer bikes to be a little more efficient but also a little more bland than my older steel bikes. If I'm riding with a fast group, I want brifters and a light-weight modern bike that sprints well. However, most of my rides are longer distances and sprints are avoided. On longer rides at a century pace there is not much difference in performance between a top-quality C&V bike and a modern $2000 Carbon-fiber bike.

The multiple small advances of a modern bike add up to a bike that accelerates faster and uses the riders power better. However, the reduced effort actually deprives me of some of the adventure that I enjoy while cycling.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-27-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-27-13, 04:26 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
I've got two: An '03 Fuji Finest and an '07 Trek Pilot 2.1. Both are set up nine speed, the former is a combination of 105/Tiagra/Bontrager the latter is all Ultegra. They're nice rides and are used moderately often, but I enjoy riding the vintage stuff more so the Fuji is probably going up for sale in my planned September culling of the collection. Going to try to get the stable back down to a dozen, all the survivors will either be (mostly) vintage road bikes, folders, three speeds, with a flat bar commuter kept at work.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-27-13, 04:30 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
Define "modern." Indexed shifting? Brifters?

I do have a 1999 Marin San Marino, but I never ride it.
Brifters is usually the main talking point. Non-lugged frame, wheels with less than 28 spokes, non-steel construction are usually the secondary considerations that come to mind (despite the wheel lacing being the only one of these points that would be an accurate divider between vintage and modern).

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-27-13, 05:18 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had $500.00 to spend and debated on new or C&V, opted for new...I am scouring CL and around for a classic...I would like to have one to clean up, tweak and ride....Just got back into riding after 22 years and i LOVE it....Wish i had took care of my ol MTB frame but was forgotten and i maybe beyond repair... I still have it...Damn, i paid $700.00 24 years ago... it was a nice bike at the time...
Old 07-27-13, 05:40 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I have a few modern bikes and they're awesome....
Old 07-27-13, 05:43 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Shuru421, It's all about individual preference, some own a modern marvel, some won't accept the concept. I use my LBS for bits and bobs and they have a wide range of high end roadies, but none have an allure for me right now.

Brad
Old 07-27-13, 06:46 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
Shuru421, It's all about individual preference, some own a modern marvel, some won't accept the concept. I use my LBS for bits and bobs and they have a wide range of high end roadies, but none have an allure for me right now.

Brad
I was at my local Campagnolo service centre the other day, a real good shop that do know their stuff, and they had a top of the line Colnago, a top of the line Look and a top of the line De Rosa, all with Lightweight (the brand) wheels and Campagnolo Super Record lined up next to each other. Looking at thrice my yearly income never felt so good
Old 07-27-13, 06:52 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Modern bike? No thanks. Modern drivetrain? Absolutely!

if you are resourceful, you can get a high end steel bike, and upgrade to mid level or higher modern drivetrain, for about the price of a new Sora equipped bike.

my self imposed limit is no bike over the cost of an entry level new bike. So far, I have stayed way below that.
Old 07-27-13, 07:22 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
This is the newest bike I have ever owned, it is from around 2003 or 2005

Old 07-27-13, 07:25 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I've been tagged a Luddite in these pages before. I do have some modern gizmos, but my most "modern" bike was made in the 70's.
Nothing against modern bikes.... well, yes. They don't appeal to me much.
Old 07-27-13, 07:35 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Why not? Variety is the spice of life.

For wet weather riding the newer materials and design will be less prone to rust.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.