Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bib differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-24, 03:06 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Bib differences

I was looking for a second pair of bibs and noticed a big variation in prices even from the same company. Some are $80 and some $160 and higher.
Why? What are the differences?

Last edited by pepperbelly; 03-24-24 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-23-24, 03:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
The more expensive bibs are better.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-23-24, 03:14 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Koyote
Better enough to be worth twice the price?
I have a pair of Black Bibs. They have another pair for exactly twice as much- $40 and $80.
Old 03-23-24, 03:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10439 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I have a pair of Black Bibs. They have another pair for exactly twice as much- $40 and $80.
Better material? Better pad? I dunno. I know that my LeCol "Sport" bibs - their cheapest - are great for shorter rides but for longer rides, their Hors Categorie bibs are more comfortable. So I wear those for weekend rides.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-23-24, 03:28 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by genejockey
Better material? Better pad? I dunno. I know that my LeCol "Sport" bibs - their cheapest - are great for shorter rides but for longer rides, their Hors Categorie bibs are more comfortable. So I wear those for weekend rides.
Better pad makes sense. I was looking at Primal and they have several in different prices.
Old 03-23-24, 03:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10439 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Better pad makes sense. I was looking at Primal and they have several in different prices.
The LeCol Hors Categorie bibs are ungodly expensive, but I grabbed 2 pair for 50% off a year or so ago. So now I keep an eye out for sales. Once you find ones you like, buy in bulk. I have enough good bibs to ride every day for a week without repeating. And I don't repeat without washing because, Eww.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-23-24, 03:35 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Better Lycra, too. Heavier-weight Lycra lasts much longer and provides much better support where it's needed. People who see expensive bibs marked down and spring for a pair sometimes complain that the shoulder straps are too tight when they walk around, but if you love the way heavyweight bibs fit and feel otherwise, it's a minor inconvenience.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-23-24, 03:42 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
More expensive bib have better fabrics and seat pads. What kind of better, well now that depends on the buyer. It's like anything really.

The Black Bibs Ultimate say this :
Now the Technical Stuff:
  • Longer Inseam and option for longer strap length
  • Upgraded silicon-infused leg opening
  • Dyed black high compression fabric
  • Ultimate Pad (color varies)
  • White or black mesh bib straps
I've considered buying an Ultimate bib based on the pad shape and design but I'm quite happy with the Sportful LTD bibs I wear. I think the BB Ultimate is worth every penny over the regular ones.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 03-23-24, 03:48 PM
Koyote

"Worth" is subjective -- meaning that only you can answer that question, since only you know your budget, your mileage, your posterior's tolerance, etc. No one can answer this for you.

But don't delude yourself: in this, as in most markets, the more expensive items are better.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-23-24, 07:34 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
In addition to the pad (which varies in shape, density, construction, and materials; Elastic Interface Technologies are superlative) and to Lycra weight, other factors contributing to cost are the variety of materials used and construction techniques. For example, patterns which use more panels require more complex shaping but allow greater opportunity for materials selection best suited to needs in that area, such as trading off breathability or lightweight for support, insulation, amount and direction of stretch, or durability. Construction techniques can vary the quality and type of stitching and joining, or employ different techniques like seam welding. Detailing, like logo placement, complicates construction adding cost, as do features like pockets and colors selection.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-23-24, 08:04 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I have one pair of Black Bibs. I like them but I have nothing to compare them to. I am trying to decide between anither one or 2 of them or a Primal.
Old 03-23-24, 09:19 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I have one pair of Black Bibs. I like them but I have nothing to compare them to. I am trying to decide between anither one or 2 of them or a Primal.
I've had a couple of the Black Bibs. First was a pair of the Ultimates, after about a year the foam inside chamois disintegrated. I still have a pair of the Ultimate tights/cold weather bibs. My opinion of them is that they are similar to any other $80-100 bib in performance...IMO they're fine for 2 hour rides or longer climb-y rides that I'm out of the saddle a lot. If I'm doing an all-day ride, I'll run one of my $200ish bibs.

As others have said, the chamois pad and the type/lay-up of the materials are the differences between the expensive and cheap bibs. The cheaper bibs use a "open-cell" type foam chamois pad that is often softer. I prefer the firmer pad that usually comes on the more expensive bib.
Old 03-24-24, 12:21 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Most of theirs have a "chamois guide" that makes claims of how long they are comfortable to ride in. How they determine this and how consistent it is with the consumers, I have no idea, especially since saddle model and saddle tilt also play a factor. Also note that their price points don't always align with their chamois levels. I recently bought a pair of Evo 2.0 bibs with their "E6 carbon" chamois rated for 6+ hours, but haven't had the chance to test that claim yet.
Old 03-24-24, 05:56 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Only one way to definitively find out for yourself, pay to play.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-24-24, 06:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The LeCol Hors Categorie bibs are ungodly expensive, but I grabbed 2 pair for 50% off a year or so ago. So now I keep an eye out for sales. Once you find ones you like, buy in bulk. I have enough good bibs to ride every day for a week without repeating. And I don't repeat without washing because, Eww.
This. Get good stuff on sale, rather than mediocre at full price.

BIBS ON SALE
Old 03-24-24, 07:32 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
I have experimented a fair bit with bibs at different price levels and in general the more expensive ones are more comfortable and more durable. But fit is also critical and there is a degree of personal preference in things like pad thickness and materials.
Old 03-24-24, 07:34 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Look into the Endura Pro SL line on ebay.
They are MSRP in the $150-$200 range but can be had for $70-$100 if patient.
Love the chamois for long rides and the compression is better than any econo brand.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-24-24, 05:40 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Since I like my Black Bobs so far I am thinking about buying another pair. I looked on their website and saw they have several other bibs. One I am thinking about is their Black Bibs Ultimate.
Has anyone tried them? Are they noticeably better than the basic Black Bibs?
Old 03-24-24, 05:54 PM
Koyote

Since I like my Black Bobs so far I am thinking about buying another pair. I looked on their website and saw they have several other bibs. One I am thinking about is their Black Bibs Ultimate.
This question was answered in Post #2, above:

If they weren't "noticeably better," they wouldn't be charging 2x as much money for them. Bear in mind that they are still $80 bibs, though, which means that -- on an absolute scale -- they aren't very good.
Old 03-24-24, 06:13 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

This question was answered in Post #2, above:

If they weren't "noticeably better," they wouldn't be charging 2x as much money for them. Bear in mind that they are still $80 bibs, though, which means that -- on an absolute scale -- they aren't very good.
I had a brain fart. That was answered. Thanks.
Old 03-24-24, 08:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
The entry black bibs are very underwhelming to me.
The Ultimate model black bibs are fine, but not nearly as nice as my other bibs- Voler Black Label.

The Voler bib straps go around the side of your pecs. That is nicer placement.
The Voler bibs have more compression, which just feels better and stays in place better.
The Voler bibs have a lower front end which I like for mid-ride stops.
The Voler pad on the Black Label model is thinner, but better feeling overall.

The Voler bibs were 2x the cost of Black Bibs Ultimate and I have never regretted the cost difference. Bibs last long enough that I don't mind the cost difference when it's spread over so long.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-24-24, 09:03 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I won’t mind buying higher priced bibs after I finish losing weight so I stay at a size. I don’t want to spend $150.00 and them not fit by summer.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 03-24-24 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-24-24, 10:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
I’m on my last pairs of Pearl Izumi, not the cheapest versions, I’ve used them prior. They cheapened the design, removed the edging fabric on the shoulder straps, it’s just flat Lycra. Makes it hard to get the strap to lay flat on your shoulder, now it’s a bunched string of fabric, gets uncomfortable. These were my last pair from PI.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-24-24, 11:10 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

At this stage of my cycling I think Black Bibs Ultimate might be my best choice.
Old 03-25-24, 04:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
This makes sense. Check that the fit is the same, as sometimes it can vary even within the same brand. But since you like the cheaper version of this brand, the odds are in your favour of liking their more expensive offering. It will probably have a better quality pad and/or materials and construction.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.