Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Defeating Muscle Cramps

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Defeating Muscle Cramps

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-23, 12:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Defeating Muscle Cramps

I know this has been beaten to death, but let’s take another whack at it. The article states that the reason for muscle cramps are unknown by medical professionals, but the one thing they have found that is effective is: https://apple.news/A6feny7o6Tq2Buu9ofHa7uw

I can get them after or during a long hot ride, at night if I really tax myself. Been a pickle juice believer for over a year.

Old 07-24-23, 12:52 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Right on, the answer is in the initial post! Done and done.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 07-24-23, 01:44 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
1. Vary cadence and PE (perceived effort) during a ride. If I spin too high a cadence for too long I get one type of cramping, but if I mash for too long I get another type of cramping. Basically, avoid overstressing particular muscle groups.
2. Hydrate during ride.
If cramping or incipient cramping occur, then:
3. Self massage immediately following ride. With or without embrocation/Bengay/Theraworx/etc. (but, generally without).
4. Self massage just before bed. With or without embrocation/Bengay/Theraworx/etc. (but, generally with).
5. Take it easy (no higher than Z3) on subsequent ride, or two.

Yes, pickle juice too (if I have it on hand). I like pickles, but it's not something that's part of my regular diet, so I generally eat a couple while I'm at it.
This is what's worked for me. YMMV.
Old 07-24-23, 01:44 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I don't have much self-respect, but I do have too much to subject myself to pickle juice. Thankfully SportLegs supplement gets it done for me.
Old 07-24-23, 02:07 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Pickle juice + Sports Legs work.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-24-23, 02:10 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Just an overall strength and conditioning program is what works for me.
Incorporating hiking in the hills to strengthen the posterior chain.
Deadlifts, squats, lunges, core work and shoulder presses and curls/reverse curls all help to prevent muscle fatigue when cycling.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-24-23, 02:23 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Even back when riding very regularly, doing 60+ miles a day a few times a week (or more) there was a point I would reach EVERY TIME right around 80 miles where cramps would set in, and I just never was able to stave them off. I believed a great deal that my own issue related to poor discipline about stopping to eat and intake fluids and salts early in my rides. At the very top form of my riding the absolute farthest I was ever able to ride was ~93 miles and even AT that was helped significantly by a couple of other riders in the club encouragement and cheering me on. By the time I got back to the car I absolutely could not move one leg anymore and had to be helped off the bike. In a way, that ride was never official because I neglected to get back to the starting point which was actually inside the racetrack a few hundred (more) yards away. My previous best had only been a few miles shorter than that before having to retire to the SAG wagon. My biggest issue related to my glute on one side. Other issue would be having that crazy arch cramp late in the night on hard days, particularly in the heat.
Old 07-24-23, 02:30 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Even back when riding very regularly, doing 60+ miles a day a few times a week (or more) there was a point I would reach EVERY TIME right around 80 miles where cramps would set in, and I just never was able to stave them off.
Funny, my century "wall" is at about mile 80, as well. If I can make it past that, I'm normally fine for the rest of the ride.
Old 07-24-23, 02:49 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I love dill pickles, although I don't eat them often. Starting several years ago when I learned they are believed to be helpful at preventing muscle soreness/cramps, I started eating them after any long or strenuous ride. Can't say whether they actually make a difference, but if they don't, I'm not really out anything.

At one of the feed stops on a century gran fondo that I rode a few weeks ago, they had pickle juice shots. Yummy!
Old 07-24-23, 07:11 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I use a combination of self-inflicted passive-aggressive behavior (I ignore the cramp and pretend it isn't there, expecting it will give up and go away) and profanity (Is that all you*&%#@ GOT, you POS?).

Works quite well. Never had a cramp that didn't go away. 100% effective. Only slightly more bizarre than drinking pickle juice.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-24-23, 09:56 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by downtube42
I use a combination of self-inflicted passive-aggressive behavior (I ignore the cramp and pretend it isn't there, expecting it will give up and go away) and profanity (Is that all you*&%#@ GOT, you POS?).

Works quite well. Never had a cramp that didn't go away. 100% effective. Only slightly more bizarre than drinking pickle juice.
I’ve seen headset top caps etched with “Shut up, legs!” and I think runners’ t-shirts with the same thing. I sometimes use it as a self-motivational mantra, but I like to add “You too, heart and lungs—we’re doing this!”
Old 07-25-23, 02:57 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts

Lol, I guess there are cramps and CRAMPS. Sounds like you never had a CRAMPS.

I don't have them often but when I have cramps, often laying in bed after exercise, I can feel something coming up and I am able to counter them by stretching the muscle very quickly before the cramp pops up and all is good. Or if I am not fast enough to counter the cramp, it hurts for a few seconds and then all is good.

Now, on the other hand, CRAMPS I have experienced twice in my life now, both after a hard ride that was not necessarily extreme for me, but definitely a big effort after a period of not having cycled much.
That happened right at the end of the rides, it made my quads in one leg just completely lock up, gave an incontrollable pain and there was absolutely nothing I could do that could make me bend my knee and it was impossible to stand on that leg.
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 07-25-23, 04:56 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
A bottle of tonic water (no gin) will help cramps overnight.
Old 07-25-23, 05:21 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Just eat a banana. Or do like I do and cry about it for 20 seconds while massaging it out.

sure you are dealing with cramps and not doms?

Also gin prob would help.

And wtf is pickle juice even? It's just water/salt/vinegar/sugar...

Last edited by DonkeyShow; 07-25-23 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-25-23, 07:39 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
A bottle of tonic water (no gin) will help cramps overnight.
Tonic water has been my go-to in the past. Calf cramps have plagued me for several decades and the tonic water has seemed to help. I'll def give the pickle juice a try tho.
Old 07-25-23, 07:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Pickle juice helps me sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.

My bug-a-boo on long summer rides in humid summer heat is salt and water. Yeah, I know some studies show that electrolyte deficiency doesn't lead to cramping -- IN THEIR STUDY COHORT. But after a 10-20 mile round trip commute for a week of hot temperatures, if I don't supplement my salt intake, I'll often get cramps. When I pop a salt pill, or eat a baked potato loaded with as much salt as I can stand, the cramps stop or don't appear.

Experiment of one? Mere anecdote? When cramps wake me in the middle of the night, or kick in while I'm reading a book and minding my own business, I don't care -- just make it stop!
Old 07-25-23, 08:16 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
From another article about cramps, the point was made that a swallow or two of pickle juice was enough, and that there was no need or benefit to chugging the stuff. The pickle juice shots sound like an idea worth trying, even if you hate pickles, like I do...
Old 07-25-23, 09:05 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Even back when riding very regularly, doing 60+ miles a day a few times a week (or more) there was a point I would reach EVERY TIME right around 80 miles where cramps would set in, and I just never was able to stave them off. I believed a great deal that my own issue related to poor discipline about stopping to eat and intake fluids and salts early in my rides. At the very top form of my riding the absolute farthest I was ever able to ride was ~93 miles and even AT that was helped significantly by a couple of other riders in the club encouragement and cheering me on. By the time I got back to the car I absolutely could not move one leg anymore and had to be helped off the bike. In a way, that ride was never official because I neglected to get back to the starting point which was actually inside the racetrack a few hundred (more) yards away. My previous best had only been a few miles shorter than that before having to retire to the SAG wagon. My biggest issue related to my glute on one side. Other issue would be having that crazy arch cramp late in the night on hard days, particularly in the heat.
This is probably due to carb shortage, as you sort of surmise. What works best is to keep them coming, not eat every once in a while. Try a steady intake of about 30g-60g an hour, depending on how much power you are putting out, eating or drinking some carbs at least every half hour. Try that. A very simple thing is to eat 1/4 of a Clif bar every 15'. IME the first 3 hours of a ride is where you set the food and hydration routine that you'll use for the whole ride. If I get that right, I have a great ride. That's maybe the hardest part because in those early hours you feel so good.

There are essentially two sources of cramping: riding harder than you are used to, and shortage of fuel. As in the OP, neither dehydration nor electrolyte shortage are cramping issues.
Old 07-25-23, 09:13 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Just eat a banana. Or do like I do and cry about it for 20 seconds while massaging it out.

sure you are dealing with cramps and not doms?

Also gin prob would help.

And wtf is pickle juice even? It's just water/salt/vinegar/sugar...
None of the ingredients you mention matter. It's only the taste. Mustard works too. Oddly, peppermint Tums work, but only that brand and the Regular Strength. Again, it's that exact taste. They're really easy to take with in a coin purse. Pickle juice works better, though. DOMS has nothing to do with cramps. Bananas can be good if the cramp is due to carb shortage, but they don't provide the quick relief which taste provides.
Old 07-25-23, 09:16 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium

Since a number of foods have sodium and potassium, I can take a Caltrate calcium pill with magnesium. I can also eat Triscuit salty crackers. Overall though, some people underestimate protein in recovery.
Old 07-25-23, 10:37 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Overall though, some people underestimate protein in recovery.
I love a big cheeseburger (or pulled pork sandwich) after a long ride. When I'm on a relay team, riding three or four times in a day or two, my favorite snack in between turns is bagels with peanut butter and honey.
Old 07-25-23, 11:01 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
As I read the study, essentially it says they don't know why but for some reason when pickle juice hits the back of the throat during an active cramp, the cramp immediately stops sometimes for some people. Other things like mustard seem to be similar.

Lots of weasel words. Not definitive. That doesn't mean it's untrue, it just means it's not understood and may or may not be true. Heck maybe it's the action of tilting your head backwards to swallow the stuff that actually stops the cramp. One could theorize the inner ear is actually the key to cramp stoppage. OTOH maybe pickle juice only works for people with blue eyes or people with attached earlobes.

I recall my mom telling me to bite my lower lip to stop a cramp, which sounded like nonsense but I tried, and didn't see any results. If pickle juice shock sometimes work, maybe maybe lip pain also works for some people sometimes.

There's nothing a snake oil salesman likes better than vague correlations and mythology.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-25-23, 12:16 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Pickle juice stops cramps for me. All the time, every time. I have brown eyes and detached earlobes. Interesting as usual that people with no direct experience speculate endlessly about the causes and cures for cramps.

Last edited by Inusuit; 07-25-23 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-25-23, 01:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
As I read the study, essentially it says they don't know why but for some reason when pickle juice hits the back of the throat during an active cramp, the cramp immediately stops sometimes for some people. Other things like mustard seem to be similar.
I can stop cramps by putting electrolyte tablets in my mouth and not swallowing, so it doesn't surprise me that pickle juice is effective as soon as it's in your mouth. This has led me to believe that cramps are 90% half mental
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-25-23, 03:13 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
"Its all in your head"
-The NIH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.